Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) (25701 Views)

SARS Officers Are Not Supposed To Wear Plain Cloth While On Duty - PPRO, Dolapo / Nigerian Policeman Spotted Sleeping With His Rifle While On Duty. Photos / So Sad!! Jumia Staff Dies On The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by saint047(m): 10:14am On Feb 11, 2016
useless response, no amount of comments or response can bring him back to life. Quite unfortunate
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by dustydee: 10:16am On Feb 11, 2016
Destined2win:
Does it mean they couldn't just create a little air-conditioned see-through room in the warehouse.

A lot of things are taken for granted in this nation, and that must stop when I become President! angry
But from available information, there's no indication that the ware house was not well ventilated. At least he wasn't the only one there. and from Jumia's account he had a chest pain after which his colleagues ran to his aid. If he had suffocated, he would have been gasping for air. He probably died of heart attack which may have been induced by stress.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Reference(m): 10:20am On Feb 11, 2016
Destined2win:
Does it mean they couldn't just create a little air-conditioned see-through room in the warehouse.

A lot of things are taken for granted in this nation, and that must stop when I become President! angry

No airconditioning will stop a cardiac event which it obviously was. My question is, who bears responsibility for checking the physical (and perhaps mental) fitness of the typical workforce, the employer or the employees themselves.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Irore: 10:23am On Feb 11, 2016
ShitHead:
Is it not better they sell us all into slavery so we know it's official. The cut off our fingers, cut off our necks...kill us. All in the name of capitalism? SMH

This is a preventable fatality. To avoid re-occurrence, Jumia should employ a health,safety and environment(HSE) professional,listen and implement his advise. Immediately install air-expellers/blowers in the warehouse.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by CHARLOE(m): 10:24am On Feb 11, 2016
Was @ jumia on adeniyi jobes, opp hp service center, was shocked by d crowded working environment. There were hundreds of staffs in 1 big hall, u cldn"t even feel d ac, d whole place was warm n humid
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by geedeex2(m): 10:31am On Feb 11, 2016
RIP to the dead .Job seekers what are you waiting for ?
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 11, 2016
It's easier said than done! undecided

Destined2win:

Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 11, 2016
Lol.....i can imagine how the application letter will be written! grin

Meanwhile, R.I.P to the guy.

geedeex2:
RIP to the dead .Job seekers what are you waiting for ?
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Kennydoc(m): 10:40am On Feb 11, 2016
kilokeys:
It could have been preventable if routine health surveillance was put in place.

Working in a hot environment for 8 hrs a day for 3 years is an impending death sentence already.

The guy could have died of heart attack. There is no proof that he suffocated. Was he the only one working in that warehouse?
Again, being with Jumia since it's inception means that he was a senior staff of some sort, at least more senior than a number of other staff there, so his working conditions would have been better than that of many others in that office.
May his soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Kennydoc(m): 10:41am On Feb 11, 2016
kilokeys:
It could have been preventable if routine health surveillance was put in place.

Working in a hot environment for 8 hrs a day for 3 years is an impending death sentence already.

The guy could have died of heart attack. There is no proof that he suffocated. Was he the only one working in that warehouse?
Again, being with Jumia since it's inception means that he was a senior staff of some sort, at least more senior than a number of other staff there. So his working conditions would have been better than that of many others in that office.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by pisceslord: 10:45am On Feb 11, 2016
I worked in jumia for a year before leaving. The company is jus lik a factory. In the sense that they pay stipend to their workerss that work al day and al night. No health beenefit for interns. And this interns are the one that do al the works. I worked more than 15hrs most times. I mean this is hard labour and at the end u stil get insulted by the Indians. I will urge the govt to critically overlook jumia's activity cos this same death is lurking around the warehouse. U need to see the way the workers look like. They all look unkept and ill...thank God I left there sha

1 Like

Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Blade21: 10:50am On Feb 11, 2016
all those people that shout my girlfriend must get pregnant before marriage you see the disadvantages anyway Rip to the guy and I pity the girl and her unborn God be with them

1 Like

Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by iykekelvins(m): 10:51am On Feb 11, 2016
RIP
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by bettercreature(m): 10:54am On Feb 11, 2016
It's very sad
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Snoolv360(m): 11:01am On Feb 11, 2016
This Jumia ehn! There was a day i think in December, i ordered for 5 different items on their platform, they supplied in batches, one of their dispatch brought two items and two days after another dispatch brought 1. I had to ask the guy the reason for bringing in batches? he told me that nobody is willing to go inside their warehouse to bring the stuff out.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 11, 2016
When you see their top notch website, you think they are professionals. I've been to two of their pick up stations and I just shook myu head for those guys. For a company that's servicing !any African countries, Jumia can do a lot better. The warehouse was so poorly ventilated.I could not stay for 10 minutes. I work in a factory, but Jumia warehouse is a lot worse.

I just lost interest in them. They are like whitewashed grave. Beautiful outside, but the opposite inside.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by salawerokosu: 11:22am On Feb 11, 2016
Rest in peace suleimon sanusi
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by kilokeys(m): 11:38am On Feb 11, 2016
Kennydoc:

Again, being with Jumia since it's inception means that he was a senior staff of some sort, at least more senior than a number of other staff there. So his working conditions would have been better than that of many others in that office.

I mentioned "health surveillance".. Its the company's responsibility to know the health status of their staff, ergonomic abilities from time to time.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by jclassiq(m): 11:40am On Feb 11, 2016
Destined2win:

When's that?
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by jclassiq(m): 11:41am On Feb 11, 2016
ShitHead:
Is it not better they sell us all into slavery so we know it's official. They cut off our fingers, cut off our necks...kill us. All in the name of capitalism? SMH

Hi SHITHEAD,
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 11, 2016
The deed has been done, hope they have learn from their mistake and how to rectify it

rip
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by toprealman: 11:54am On Feb 11, 2016
Lanretoye:
When the useless regulatory come inspecting,they just collect brown envelopes and approve worst working conditions,even nafdac,SON...
Fact!
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by virginchaser(m): 12:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
I protest by STOP buying my online stuffs from JUMIA.

1 Like

Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by Kennydoc(m): 12:59pm On Feb 11, 2016
kilokeys:

I mentioned "health surveillance".. Its the company's responsibility to know the health status of their staff, ergonomic abilities from time to time.

There is a limit to the kinds of death health surveillance can prevent. Many doctors, among other kinds of workers die of cardiovascular diseases.
A young military doctor in his 30's who I respected a lot since I knew him died 3 months ago of cardiac arrest. Even NL carried the story of a doctor in his 70s who died some months ago in his consulting room, in one SW state.
If doctors can die like that even at work, how much more other workers?
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by troy9090: 1:26pm On Feb 11, 2016
They have started again,
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by kilokeys(m): 1:53pm On Feb 11, 2016
Kennydoc:

There is a limit to the kinds of death health surveillance can prevent. Many doctors, among other kinds of workers die of cardiovascular diseases.
A young military doctor in his 30's who I respected a lot since I knew him died 3 months ago of cardiac arrest. Even NL carried the story of a doctor in his 70s who died some months ago in his consulting room, in one SW state.
If doctors can die like that even at work, how much more other workers?

I understand.. We can't stop pple from dying..

But at least we can tell them what might likely kill them.

If it was a cardiovascular issue. Was the victim aware of his ailment?
Thats the health surveillance every employer owes their worker.

If he and management were aware of his health status, control measures might have been put in place, like limiting time of work, fluid intake breaks, frequent med checkup, first aid arrangements with defibrillators.( imagine the minutes wasted in trying to get him to a hospital, whereas he could have been resuscitated in less time

Are u aware that there are many epileptic patients around?

The enlightened ones detect early symptoms signs, goes to a safe area (rest rooms),lay down, have their sessions and get back to their jobs. Saving themselves embarrassment and injury.

They avoid triggers like stress, strobe lights and other things.

Health surveillance is very important.. Its cost effective too.. Imagine the bad reputation jumia would have saved herself.
The amount wasted in compensating the family
The expertise/experience lost
The cost of hiring/training new staff.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by EOOLAYEMI: 2:51pm On Feb 11, 2016
Just too sad.
Sleep in the bosom of the LORD.
May the LORD grant the relatives fortitude to bear the loss.
Jumia should create conducive atmosphere to avoid such occurrence again.
Re: Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) by missyadorable(f): 2:58pm On Feb 11, 2016
Ehya! Pity for the fiancee

Single mother things for her

This "marriage with pregnancy" doesn't favour everybody afterall

RIP to the dead

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fred Oyetayo's 24th Birthday Pictures CEO Of Fresible, Lawrepositoryng / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? / Abuja Magistrate Orders Lawyer Handcuffed, Jailed For Challenging Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.