Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? (94893 Views)

Medicine And Surgery: Is It Worth The Attention It Gets? / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? / How Tough Is Pharmacy As A Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by drdrei09: 10:17am On Feb 13, 2016
Lagusta:

I'm sure it's because its a pharmD that is awarded and not a B.Pharm, abi??

Just asking tho
sorry, what is the difference between pharmD and B. Pharm?
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Lagusta(m): 10:50am On Feb 13, 2016
drdrei09:
sorry, what is the difference between pharmD and B. Pharm?

B.Pharm: bachelor degree in pharmacy, runs for 5yrs

Pharm.D: doctor of pharmacy, runs for 6yrs

It is believed that the pharmD is better than the B.Pharm, if a pharmacist can offer to clarify tho.....
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by drdrei09: 11:14am On Feb 13, 2016
Lagusta:

It is believed that the pharmD is better than the B.Pharm, if a pharmacist can offer to clarify tho.....
owkies......thanx bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by saintkel(m): 1:35pm On Feb 15, 2016
Kunlexic:
If those mbbs guys see dis ur post,they can bite u or send thunder strike u...lolz.What is ur course bro
Microbiology

1 Like

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by emmaliver(m): 1:36pm On Feb 15, 2016
Drdonzeez:
veteniary medicine, Dentistry and Dental surgery and pharmacy are all tougher than medicine. just that medicine is more difficult to get into.
Hallucination

6 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by streamsofjoy(f): 1:39pm On Feb 15, 2016
I'm so shocked everybody thinks medicine is the most difficult course of all. Wat do u say abt courses like chemistry, physics et all

5 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by DEXTROVERT: 1:40pm On Feb 15, 2016
It's not tough if u rely on God to help her through...talking from experience

By strength shall no man prevail

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 15, 2016
Well I think the ideal word isn't tough, it's tasking and requires alotta commitment and self discipline.
The training is to be as focused and precise as possible cos we deal with human lives. A little error, as lias 0.1 can cost a life. That's what makes it 'dufficult' and rigorous.

6 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by fimzzy2015: 1:42pm On Feb 15, 2016
Drdonzeez:
veteniary medicine, Dentistry and Dental surgery and pharmacy are all tougher than medicine. just that medicine is more difficult to get into.
That's a bias statement. What did you study please?

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 15, 2016
Any average student can study medicine and surgery..

What you need are passion, zeal, discipline , hard work and prayers .

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by claremont(m): 1:42pm On Feb 15, 2016
Well, if you think medicine is tough, try spending 6 years in UNIBEN studying Pharmacy. When you have done that, you will respect the triad medical disciplines and agree that they have an equal level of toughness.

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by onyxo76(m): 1:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
If you want my frank advice as a Doctor and a friend then i will tell you this ...God is the one who makes you a doctor, i'm a living testimony. I was on 2 occasions almost kicked out of med school in my 2nd and 3rd years but for God who kept me there. In my clinical s i experienced unlimited grace and favor that even my parents never believed that i would graduate with MBBS.
Its a course that is really rough and tough and you have to swallow a lot of insults particularly in your ward rounds etc. Nurses will laugh at you , patients will call you trainee do etc, but forge ahead.
The exams are killers imagine doing 3 hours papers morning and afternoon 4 days stretch and you start practical /clinical exams the next day no break at all, then there is the orals in which one wicked prof will just rubbish all that you know. The exams are designed for you to never finish before time is up so don't even try to do all questions.
The questions need spinal level answer that is if you see it and it doesn't come to you in less than 10 seconds,move to the next one or how do you want to finish 800 questions in 3 hours?

One parting word for you-if you ever graduate and become a doctor never let pride ever enter your heartas there are some that will be thrown out who were probably even better than you in your class then. This humility has kept me going as a physician these past 10 years and counting all glory to God Almighty.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by PBundles(m): 1:48pm On Feb 15, 2016
And do we bring out top quality students??

This is the problem we have, we think by putting the students thru this torture, they have accomplished something, NO they havent. we have been told this lie that only thru suffering and torture you can achieve great heights, rubbish.

I can understand setting a high level to get the brightest in and maintaining this during the study, but isnt the aim TO EDUCATE!!!! Creating an environment that breeds learning, searching and evolving, thats education, not making people cram answers into their heads, thats not education, but RECITAL.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 15, 2016
streamsofjoy:
I'm so shocked everybody thinks medicine is the most difficult course of all. Wat do u say abt courses like chemistry, physics et all
am a. Physics student,and it aint funny at all ni!! I've had the oppurtunity of staying with medical students!! They read like mad men!! They read more than they even eat or sleep..dunno much abuh it,buh from the few I've met,I can say medicine has to be the most difficult course!! My opinion though

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by claremont(m): 1:49pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lagusta:

No, it's not. They are both Pharmacists, it's just that the Pharm.D is supposedly a more clinical oriented training qualification as compared to the B.Pharm. They both have the same basic training, and acquire the same licence after training. In the UK, Pharmacists get an M.Pharm after qualification, it proffers the same competence as a B.Pharm Nigerian trained Pharmacist. The same way an M.Pharm is not a Masters degree, is the same way a Pharm.D is not a doctoral degree.

5 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by emeka2847: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2016
For me, I cry. Because such ignorance can make you cry

Lagusta:

I see posts like this and laugh.....

4 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2016
Drdonzeez:
My friend, getting into a course is a function of the available space versus competition/demand for the course. An engineering student would tell you his course is the most difficult, so don't trump up the biased card.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Feb 15, 2016
Lagusta:

It's more like RN/RM versus BSc Nursing.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by fimzzy2015: 1:55pm On Feb 15, 2016
INTERMAN:
Medical students and doctors. Tell us your experience as a medical student.How the reading, lecture, examinations, results etc like?
Mowah has said quite a lot.
The major fact is it's a lot of hard work. Depending on your level of assimilation and IQ. If you're an average student then you'll have to learn how to read extra hard
You should also understand that you must balance the fact that though you're reading to understand and treat people, when its exam period you need to focus on reading to satisfy the examiners.
How do you do that?
Understand what works for you asap
Ones you do this you then have a workable time table
You need to have a good tutorial group
You'll need access to recent past questions
Build a good rapport with your teachers. They appear scary with their level of knowledge, ones you can break away from your shyness and bias you'll find most of them approachable
Try and avoid too many distractions including studying and working
Develop courage to face any circumstances with determination to succeed
God God God factor. Makes all the difference

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by eleojo23: 1:55pm On Feb 15, 2016
PBundles:
And do we bring out top quality students??

This is the problem we have, we think by putting the students thru this torture, they have accomplished something, NO they havent. we have been told this lie that only thru suffering and torture you can achieve great heights, rubbish.

I can understand setting a high level to get the brightest in and maintaining this during the study, but isnt the aim TO EDUCATE!!!! Creating an environment that breeds learning, searching and evolving, thats education, not making people cram answers into their heads, thats not education, but RECITAL.

You are right.
We make a big deal out of everything yet we are not the best in those things.

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Spanner4(m): 1:56pm On Feb 15, 2016
grin grin

I like the analysis of Dr lagusta, Medicine and surgery is a very hard course and tough.

But also for me, Engineering is also a hard course
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by eleojo23: 2:00pm On Feb 15, 2016
With all the hype about Medicine as a course one would think that every medicine graduate would know his stuff because of the so-called rigorous training.
But I've met doctors who do not know their stuff and I'm like "Did this one also go to medical school? I wonder how he made it through".

This is my observation.

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by PeinDanzo(m): 2:05pm On Feb 15, 2016
The hardest course to study in the university is ....................... Buhari

2 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by kenedy175(m): 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
Can you even compare? Forget about the stressful academic side of studying MBBS. Studying MBBS is just like undergoing military training. How many people can stand for 4-5 hours during ward rounds? Not To talk of the numerous bed sides which could be at odd hours. Then you still have to come back, read well and sleep against tomorrow's lecture which begins by 8am.

The worst of it is the insults you get during rounds from senior doctors. If you are soft hearted, you might just commit suicide if you take what they tell you to heart.

Meanwhile, a guy just fainted this afternoon during rounds. It's one of those things grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by tuoyoojo(m): 2:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
bros forget this course about medicine being tough. yes it is demanding. some courses are boring ( neurology n embryology) but when u move to clinical esp after finishing peado. medicine makes alot sense there after

the most difficult part is getting into medicine cuz the competition is extremely stiff

the way I read for my jamb I didn't read that hard thru out med school.

medicine requires consistency In Reading and relaxing after every test or exams

wahali medicine is not a big deal

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by SailorXY: 2:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
<Dentistry>, Industrial Chemistry <bio>, Industrial Physics, Pharmacy, Law & probably Nursing RM are just as difficult IMO.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by callMeAlpha(m): 2:15pm On Feb 15, 2016
mowah:
Well, medicine is definitely the toughest course to study in Nigeria, According to statistics only 56% of all admitted medical student in Nigeria end up being a doctor.

First of all, admission into the university to study medicine is really a Big deal. According to jamb only 1.6% of people who apply to study medicine yearly get admitted.
The second barrier is moving from 100l to 200l in the college of medicine, this is another challenge in most schools in Nigeria as the student are required to pass all their courses (@ least 50%) to cross over. Many student's ambition have been cut off at this stage especially in UNILAG as the pass rate for this year was just 40%.

The third barrier is passing the 300l professional second mb exam which has proved to be the toughest stage as students only have 18 months to learn basic medical science courses such as anatomy, physiology and biochemistry. It's just like Learning all the biology, physics and Chemistry you learnt in secondary in 18 months and all students are required to pass all courses with 50%. Student who performed excellently (above 70%)are rewarded with a distinction, although it's could be as rare as just 5% of the students.

The next step is passing the 3rd MBBS exam which You'll do Harder courses like pharmacology, pathology, microbiology and You'll also be introduced to some Clinical courses also.

The final steps include the Clinical stages where You'll write your 4th and 5th exams. With successful candidates being rewarded with the MBBS degree and will require to complete a one year housemanship and also nysc service.

But, with consistent handwork and study habit. Anyone can be a doctor, thanks
Hope I answered your question well
bros pure Biochemistry is tougher than Medicine.... For ur information am a 400l medicine student in Unilag

7 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by slowbreeze(f): 2:15pm On Feb 15, 2016
Any body can study medicine..Yes,It is tough..jst needs lots of sacrifice, hardwork and dedication else ur gonna fail & be withdrawn.By d time i graduated,many " hotties"in my set had become "ice-water"..
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Lilimax(f): 2:16pm On Feb 15, 2016
streamsofjoy:
undecided I studied Industrial Chemistry in my first degree but I can tell you categorically that Medicine no be beans.
If you're not a book worm, don't go there embarassed

3 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by Lilimax(f): 2:19pm On Feb 15, 2016
callMeAlpha:
bros pure Biochemistry is tougher than Medicine.... For ur information am a 400l medicine student in Unilag
Huh?
You will agree with me that most people that ends up in Biochemistry would have applied for Medicine initially but were not offered the course due to one reason or the other. undecided

3 Likes

Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by RHEWBENYT(m): 2:21pm On Feb 15, 2016
There r just 2 courses in Nigeria universities. .....MEDICINE & SURGERY and d rest.
Re: How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? by kenedy175(m): 2:22pm On Feb 15, 2016
streamsofjoy:

The pass mark for chemistry and physics is 40% right?? Well, the pass mark for medicine is 50%.

In chemistry and physics you can carry over courses. But in medicine you either repeat or get withdrawn when you repeat twice

Chemistry and physics are BSc courses on there own. Do you know that in preclinicals, one is expected to pass anatomy, physiology and biochemistry in 2 years. These courses are also BSc course on there own. So this means by the end of your preclinical, you are having 3 degrees in this 3 courses.

Chemistry and physics are just 4 years programs. Medicine is 6 years if you are in a private school. But always add 3-4 years extra

You just can't compare

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rough Guide Of The Best & Most Reputable Universities In The UK / A Thread For All Prospective\New Postgraduate. Students Of NOUN / Unilag 2012/2013 Post UTME/Admissions (Part II)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.