Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,651 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Thoughts On The 45% Electricity Tarriff Increase - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thoughts On The 45% Electricity Tarriff Increase (448 Views)

NNPC Reduces Petrol Importation By 45% Victory / Cooking Gas Price Rises By 45% / Are You Part Of The 45% Of People Who Can Read This Passage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thoughts On The 45% Electricity Tarriff Increase by nifemigold(m): 9:47pm On Feb 13, 2016
THOUGHTS ON THE 45% ELECTRICITY TARIFF INCREASE.

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola recently said the increase is a bitter pill Nigerians must swallow. He wondered why the previous government did not increase the tarrif prior to this time.

The last time I paid my electricity bills the vendor mockingly said "if only you guys knew, you wouldn't have protested the fixed charge, now you will pay through your nose"

While the labour unions are out there protesting, I'm of the opinion that it's high time we started facing the realities of the time while being realistic in our demands.

Apart from the fact that Nigeria is battling the worst economic crisis in over four decades, the journey to constant power supply is capital intensive anywhere in the world.

It's only unfortunate that not many Nigerians have enjoyed the nation's resources enough to understand the need for sacrifice at such a time as this.

Having said that, I expect that Government should consider, at this time, it's priority of providing security and welfare for its people.

While we do not encourage another mysterious seasons of 'subsidy', the Ministry of power can do lots more than its offer of a bitter pill.

The government should be a bit more explicit on why citizens should pay more and also be forthcoming in her plans to ease the burden over time.

I am grossly disappointed however that not much is seen being done in the area of alternative source of Power supply like solar and wind energy.

Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Nifemi Oguntoye
Re: Thoughts On The 45% Electricity Tarriff Increase by DrayZee: 10:40pm On Feb 13, 2016
Focus on alternative sources of energy would definitely cause a check in the dwindling economy of Nigeria. A nation with power is a nation that is developing.
Unfortunately, our government has ignored such important aid to our development and instead, focused on trivialities, spending billions on kitchen equipment, chairs, tables, food, inexistent rent and the likes of which are present in our national budget.

1 Like

Re: Thoughts On The 45% Electricity Tarriff Increase by Achuwa1(m): 10:44pm On Feb 13, 2016
Have u seen anywhere in the world where citizens pay for darkness ?

1 Like

Re: Thoughts On The 45% Electricity Tarriff Increase by BRAV0O(m): 10:50pm On Feb 13, 2016
Achuwa1:
Have u seen anywhere in the world where citizens pay for darkness ?
yes! it happen very well in nigeria and the whole wide world cant do anything about it! they dont care about us from this part of the world.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking Now: Efcc Arraigns Rickey Tarfa San For Obstruction Of Justice / Ex-borno Gov. Sheriff Emerges PDP Chairman / Ooni Of Ile -ife Visits President Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.