Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,685 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

What Happened To The Walkways In Benin? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Happened To The Walkways In Benin? (790 Views)

Fmr. President Goodluck Jonathan Visited Tony Anenih And This Was What Happened / Eye Witness Of What Happened In Camp Between Oliseh And Enyeama / Tears! See What Happened To The World's Shortest Man In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To The Walkways In Benin? by nifemigold(m): 10:44pm On Feb 14, 2016
Benin City, the Edo State capital is a foster home for me. She opened her arms when I was a corps member searching for green pasture and gave an amazing audience to my young voice on Radio and Television. So years after leaving in search of gold in Lasgidi, I still get called once in a while to compere shows and events in the Heartbeat City. However the last time I visited something unusual caught my attention.

It was earlier this year and a drive across the Oba market close to the king's square at ring road was an eye sore. The beauty and order on the walkway that used to hallmark Oshio Baba's achievements among others had vanished.

Sometimes in November 2013, Gov Oshiomole had angrily and I believe harmlessly asked a Widow to 'go and die' for selling on the walk way. The scene was just few meters away from the picture above.

The Governor would later invite the widow and her son for breakfast where he gave her two million naira and assigned her Special Assistant to the Governor on Environmental issues. Of course the state PDP had earlier offered to give the widow some 250,000 naira as compensation for what they called an insult from the Governor. It was later reported that she turned it down. You can imagine how interesting news analysis and reportage was on Television that year.

Sadly, Less than three years down the line and months to another gubernatorial election, the mess is back on the streets.
It must be that the SA to the Governor on Environmental issues has been overwhelmed or the people who had severally defaulted Government's directive are to be blamed for this development.

Another thing that comes to mind however is to ask where the drive with which the Comrade Governor enforced sanity on the street is? or where is the drive the Ministry of Environment used to sanction defaulters ? Perhaps it's gradually becoming obvious there are better ways to change the people's mindset and way of life.

It will amaze you that several shops right in the market complex are locked. They have been either bought over by those who don't need them or the owners are right on the street where the traffic is higher.

Back in Lagos where I worked as Reporter and Anchor of TV Programmes during the last election. You would wonder if BRF had suddenly lifted the ban on Okada riders just before the elections. The case was similar in other states where lawlessness immediately takes over before elections.

It's important that leadership creates sustainable systems and structures for development. Politics or electioneering should not affect Government policies and programmes geared toward improving the quality of life of the people.

It is at times like this that one considers the six year single term tenure for political leaders proposed by Former President Goodluck Jonathan in order to keep the fire and zeal of leadership alive.

Abi na same tin? Wetin you tink?

Re: What Happened To The Walkways In Benin? by Unemadu: 11:23pm On Feb 14, 2016
which way africa?
Re: What Happened To The Walkways In Benin? by osesology(m): 11:38pm On Feb 14, 2016
How can the roadside traders leave when those that are supposed to keep order are busy collecting money from the traders? Where it is clearly written ``say no to street trading'', a trader will still position his/her goods in front of it and those idiots will meet them there, instead of evacuating them, he will collect his share and go on his way.
But then again, why wont they collect bribe when Oshiomole has decided to make the lives of public servants in Edo state (both serving and retired) a living hell in his last days in office.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To The Walkways In Benin? by chriskosherbal(m): 1:58am On Feb 15, 2016
Oshio baba
Re: What Happened To The Walkways In Benin? by tripplephi: 2:05am On Feb 15, 2016
nifemigold:
Benin City, the Edo State capital is a foster home for me. She opened her arms when I was a corps member searching for green pasture and gave an amazing audience to my young voice on Radio and Television. So years after leaving in search of gold in Lasgidi, I still get called once in a while to compere shows and events in the Heartbeat City. However the last time I visited something unusual caught my attention.

It was earlier this year and a drive across the Oba market close to the king's square at ring road was an eye sore. The beauty and order on the walkway that used to hallmark Oshio Baba's achievements among others had vanished.

Sometimes in November 2013, Gov Oshiomole had angrily and I believe harmlessly asked a Widow to 'go and die' for selling on the walk way. The scene was just few meters away from the picture above.

The Governor would later invite the widow and her son for breakfast where he gave her two million naira and assigned her Special Assistant to the Governor on Environmental issues. Of course the state PDP had earlier offered to give the widow some 250,000 naira as compensation for what they called an insult from the Governor. It was later reported that she turned it down. You can imagine how interesting news analysis and reportage was on Television that year.

Sadly, Less than three years down the line and months to another gubernatorial election, the mess is back on the streets.
It must be that the SA to the Governor on Environmental issues has been overwhelmed or the people who had severally defaulted Government's directive are to be blamed for this development.

Another thing that comes to mind however is to ask where the drive with which the Comrade Governor enforced sanity on the street is? or where is the drive the Ministry of Environment used to sanction defaulters ? Perhaps it's gradually becoming obvious there are better ways to change the people's mindset and way of life.

It will amaze you that several shops right in the market complex are locked. They have been either bought over by those who don't need them or the owners are right on the street where the traffic is higher.

Back in Lagos where I worked as Reporter and Anchor of TV Programmes during the last election. You would wonder if BRF had suddenly lifted the ban on Okada riders just before the elections. The case was similar in other states where lawlessness immediately takes over before elections.

It's important that leadership creates sustainable systems and structures for development. Politics or electioneering should not affect Government policies and programmes geared toward improving the quality of life of the people.

It is at times like this that one considers the six year single term tenure for political leaders proposed by Former President Goodluck Jonathan in order to keep the fire and zeal of leadership alive.

Abi na same tin? Wetin you tink?

Well he is busy with his wife o... So she has stolen is attention from Street things.... It may even be that he only did the initial cleaning up of edo state to gain a name or political office recognition.

(1) (Reply)

Law Breaking Begins In Kogi: 5 Lawmakers ‘impeach’ Speaker / Exposed!!! Apc Members Now Inec Adhoc Staff / Fulani Herdsmen Invade Falae’s Farm Again, Kill OPC Security Guard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.