Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud (18752 Views)

Efcc Nabs Jonathan Fct Minister, Bala Over N1 Trillion Fraud / EFCC And FG Prepare To Go After Patience Jonathan Over N1 Trillion Fraud / NNPC Removes Head Of Crude Oil Sales Days After NRGI Alleged N6.4 Trillion Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by snailspeed: 12:40pm On Feb 16, 2016
I have watched the Federal government continue to embarras themselves in what is arguably one of the biggest executive scandals in Nigeria's history. But what has really gotten my attention is their very unprofessional and downright deceptive response to the whole quagmire. It has gone from the very bizzaire to the outrightly deceitful and I feel there is a need to put the records straight, especially for future reference.

The most bizzaire response has seen the ministers outrightly deny their own ministries budget like Shaggy singing, "It wasnt me". This has written a new chapter to the country's corruption story. If the ministers didnt write those budgets, then we are in a bigger trouble than we actually know. This means we have a government that cannot manage themselves let alone manage 170 million Nigerians. It also means all the ministers are shockingly incompetent. It also implies that there is serious monumental corruption going on in the ministries and government agencies as we speak.

Before the government apologists try to ram it down our throats that it is those around the president that are involved, let us not fail to remind them that some of the most embarrasing corruption and fraudulent items in the budget came from the presidency. Yes, you heard it right! It came from the acclaimed squeaky clean, saintly PMB.

But let us get down to the real business of the day. I am really woried that even the opposition and many analysts of the budget have missed the biggest issue yet.

What is the biggest issue with the 2016 budget?

The biggest issue with the 2016 budget is this: If you go through the budget, you will suddenly realise that about 2 trillion Naira in the bugdet are made up of fraudulent and ghost line items. That means that of the over 6 trillion budget presented by Buhari, the real and credible budget is just around 4 trillion. The rest is fraud and money meant to be shared by government and party cronies. This is most alarming when you realise that about 2 trillion is going to be sourced as loan to fund the budget. That means, Nigeria is trying to source for loans to fund coruption.

We are about to take loans to fund massive theft!

Somethig really twisted happened in some of the ministries in their bid to cover up their fraudulent items. When the budget was first released by the BudgtIT folks (credit to them for exposing the budget from the unset and preventing the FG from getting away with the fraud), and then withdrawn, this is what some of the ministries did.

To fix the fraudulent items in the budget, what the ministries and agencies (including the presidency) did was either:

1. Remove the fraudulent line items that have been exposed but distribute the amount from those line items among the other items. For example, Lets say a ministry budgeted 200 million for computers, 300 million for tables and 500 million for boreholes (That is a total of N1 billion). If, for example, the table budget was flagged as fraudulent, they will simply remove the table item of 300 million but share that 300 million between the computers and borehole budget. So they will return the budget with the 1 billion total unchanged, but this time, the computers budget will be 400 million and the borehole will be 600 million. This is a very shocking display of fraud and skilled corruption. If the computer budget is flagged as fraudulent, what should have simply happened is that the ministry should have removed the computer budget and returned the budget as 700 million, not 1 billion.

2. Remove the fraudulent line items and assign the value as new budget items. In this case, whole new items where inserted into the budget altogether to make up the amount removed. What is again alarming is why they must spend the funds. The concept of a budget is not to create items that must be purchased. It is not a blank check for government officials to go on a shopping spree

It is really worrisome that the Buhari government is hell bent on spending the over 6 trillion even when it is not justifiable. This is why we must reject any budget that is above 4.5 trillion Naira. Any budget that comes back from the FG that is above 4.5 trillion is definitely a crooked budget. This is also why we must insist that the FG should not borrow any funds for now as any funds borrowed to fund the budget is actually funds borrowed to line the pockets of government cronies.

Any budget that comes back from Buhari that is above 4.5 trillion is fraudulent!

I have seen some APC youths go on social media to celebrate the sacking of the DG of the budget office. Question is, what does that take away from the monumental budget fraud? Was the budget of the ministries written by the budget office. The ministers have all gone to the NASS to defend their budgets. I didnt see anyone whose budget was written by the budget office and the ministers are all walking free and laughing at the rest of us.

Sacking the DG of the budget office is just late damage control and trying to get a fall gyuy to take the heat. The ministers who all presented fraudulent budgets are still roaming free and laughing at the rest of us. And please stop telling us the presidency put it up for scrutiny!! We all had several copies each before they attempted that damage control. The scandal had already trended as #BudgetOfYams for several weeks before that weak attempt by the President's spokeman to make us believe they wanted it scrutinised! That train had left the station since December!
This is a most shameful note in the history of this country but we must continue to call out Buhari and his governance team. If we sleep for one moment, we might all wake up one day to see some rich Arab sheik has bought the country and has the C of O.

156 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by psucc(m): 12:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
Finally a new gate has opened. #budgetgate.

45 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by chriskosherbal(m): 12:49pm On Feb 16, 2016
Money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by NavierStokes(m): 12:52pm On Feb 16, 2016
Heaven knows that if all the fraudulent cost items are removed from this budget it can not be more than 4 and a 1/2 trillion. But these people decided to hardwire all sorts of yams into the budget for the saintly goats to devour while proposing to incur huge debts for us and our children.

President Buhari should return to the drawing board and comeup with a new budget of realistic expense items because this particular one (in the words of my friend and ardent Buharist) "does not reflect his character".

Great observation OP, the quoted was from my post on a thread yesterday. Thing is, this government just chose a huge figure, 6 trillion and desperately worked towards achieving that figure rather than focusing on expense items that will directly benefit the populace.

If all the bogus figures are removed the budget can not be more than 4.5 trillion.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by snailspeed: 12:52pm On Feb 16, 2016
psucc:
Finally a new gate has opened.
#budgetgate.

It is indeed a very wide gate. A most shocking one to boot!

#budgetgate

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by AngryNigerian(m): 1:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
My own is that I didn't even see any tangible program or proposal for directly helping the youths! For the line items you talked about, they r called "miscellaneous"

#Budgetgate indeed!!!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by fitzmayowa: 1:34pm On Feb 16, 2016
psucc:
Finally a new gate has opened.
#budgetgate.

And the gates continues to open...cheesy grin cheesy

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by fitzmayowa: 1:37pm On Feb 16, 2016
snailspeed:
I have watched the Federal government continue to embarras themselves in what is arguably one of the biggest executive scandals in Nigeria's history. But what has really gotten my attention is their very unprofessional and downright deceptive response to the whole quagmire. It has gone from the very bizzaire to the outrightly deceitful and I feel there is a need to put the records straight, especially for future reference.

The most bizzaire response has seen the ministers outrightly deny their own ministries budget like Shaggy singing, "It wasnt me". This has written a new chapter to the country's corruption story. If the ministers didnt write those budgets, then we are in a bigger trouble than we actually think we are. It means we have a government that cannot manage themselves let alone manage 170 million Nigerians. It also means all the ministers are shockingly incompetent. It also implies that there is serious corruption going on in the ministries as we speak.

Before the government apologists try to ram it down our throats that it is those around the president that are involved, let us not fail to remind them that some of the most embarrasing corruption items in the budget came from the presidency. Yes, you heard it right! It came from the acclaimed squeaky clean, saintly PMB.

But let us get down to the real business of the day. I am really woried that even the opposition and many analysts of the budget have missed the biggest issue yet.

The biggest issue with the 2016 budget is this: If you go through the budget, you will suddenly realise that about 2 trillion Naira in the bugdet are made up of fraudulent and ghost line items. That means that of the over 6 trillion budget presented by Buhari, the real and credible budget is just around 4 trillion. The rest is fraud and money meant to be shared by government and party cronies. This is most alarming when you realise that about 2 trillion is going to be sourced as loan to fund the budget. That means, Nigeria is trying to source for loans to fund coruption.

We are about to take loans to fund fraud!

Somethig really twisted happened in some of the ministries in their bid to cover up their fraudulent items. When the budget was first released by the BudgtIT folks (credit to them for exposing the budget from the unset and preventing the FG from getting away with the fraud), and then withdrawn, this is what some of the ministries did.

To fix the fraudulent items in the budget, what the ministries and agencies (including the presidency) did was either:

1. Remove the fraudulent line items that have been exposed but distribute the amount from those line items among the other items. For example, Lets say a ministry budgeted 200 million for computers, 300 million for tables and 500 million for boreholes (That is a total of N1 billion). If, for example, the table budget was flagged as fraudulent, they will simply remove the table item of 300 million but share that 300 million between the computers and borehole budget. So they will return the budget with the 1 billion total unchanged, but this time, the computers budget will be 400 million and the borehole will be 600 million. This is a very shocking display of fraud and skilled corruption. If the computer budget is flagged as fraudulent, what should have simply happened is that the ministry should have removed the computer budget and returned the budget as 700 million, not 1 billion.

2. Remove the fraudulent line items and assign the value as new budget items. In this case, whole new items where inserted into the budget altogether to make up the amount removed. What is again alarming is why they must spend the funds. The concept of a budget is not to create items that must be purchased. It is not a blank check for government officials to go on a shopping spree

It is really worrisome that the Buhari government is hell bent on spending the over 6 trillion even when it is not justifiable. This is why we must reject any budget that is above 4.5 trillion Naira. Any budget that comes back from the FG that is above 4.5 trillion is definitely a crooked budget. This is also why we must insist that the FG should not borrow any funds for now as any funds borrowed to fund the budget is actually funds borrowed to line the pockets of government cronies.

Any budget that comes back from Buhari that is above 4.5 trillion if fraudulent!

I have seen some APC youths go on social media to celebrate the sacking of the DG of the budget office. Question is, what does that take away from the monumental budget fraud? Was the budget of the ministries written by the budget office. The ministers have all gone to the NASS to defend their budgets. I didnt see anyone whose budget was written by the budget office and the ministers are all walking free and laughing at the rest of us.

This is a most shameful note in the history of this country but we must continue to call out Buhari and his governance team. If we sleep for one moment, we might all wake one day to see some rich Arab sheik has bought the country and has the C of O.

Our APC rice eater e warriors will come for you, rather than engage you on the issues raised...oya APC rice eater e warriors over to you...

Make i siddon watch cool

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 16, 2016
I give up on this country...visa interview loading. thank God for my certificate!!! and when I get to my destination I will not look back, I'll make sure I get their green card. I want to raise my kids in a sane environment.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by TechWalker007: 2:13pm On Feb 16, 2016
snailspeed:

This is a most shameful note in the history of this country but we must continue to call out Buhari and his governance team. If we sleep for one moment, we might all wake one day to see some rich Arab sheik has bought the country and has the C of O.

At the bolded, Buhari did not withdraw the fraudulent budget, he did not apologize to Nigerians but he sacked a DG

How can one sack the DG and leave the same fraudulent budget in NASS for it to be passed? Same budget for which he blamed Budget Mafia and sacked some people. If it's fraudulent enough to sack people, why has it not been withdrawn and every fraudulent line item removed.

93 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by NavierStokes(m): 2:18pm On Feb 16, 2016
Happy birthday to lalasticlala, please give this thread a wider readership.

Many thanks and Godbless your new age.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by NavierStokes(m): 2:20pm On Feb 16, 2016
TechWalker007:

At the bolded, Buhari did not withdraw the fraudulent budget, he did not apologize to Nigerians but he sacked a DG

How can one sack the DG and leave the same fraudulent budget in NASS for it to be passed? Same budget for which he blamed Budget Mafia and sacked some people. If it's fraudulent enough to sack people, why has it not been withdrawn and every fraudulent line item removed.

Its just the age old trick of using a fall guy when things go awry. Until those items are removed and the effect seen on the final figures, everything else is a farce.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 2:29pm On Feb 16, 2016
While it is true that the budget has been an embarrassing situation, we are glad to know that it was not swept under the carpet as we know that the previous government would have done. This is the kind of budget that we have been passing year in year out and has led to no development and has resulted in no development. I am glad that for once the parliament is really doing its oversight function for once. I said it before and will say it again, PDP did APC and Nigeria a great favour without knowing by pointing out the errors. Nigeria will be better off for it.

snailspeed:

The most bizzaire response has seen the ministers outrightly deny their own ministries budget like Shaggy singing, "It wasnt me". This has written a new chapter to the country's corruption story. If the ministers didnt write those budgets, then we are in a bigger trouble than we actually know. This means we have a government that cannot manage themselves let alone manage 170 million Nigerians. It also means all the ministers are shockingly incompetent. It also implies that there is serious monumental corruption going on in the ministries and government agencies as we speak.

Before the government apologists try to ram it down our throats that it is those around the president that are involved, let us not fail to remind them that some of the most embarrasing corruption and fraudulent items in the budget came from the presidency. Yes, you heard it right! It came from the acclaimed squeaky clean, saintly PMB.

We are about to take loans to fund massive theft!

Any budget that comes back from Buhari that is above 4.5 trillion is fraudulent!

This is a most shameful note in the history of this country but we must continue to call out Buhari and his governance team. If we sleep for one moment, we might all wake up one day to see some rich Arab sheik has bought the country and has the C of O.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by TechWalker007: 3:21pm On Feb 16, 2016
9jatriot:
While it is true that the budget has been an embarrassing situation, we are glad to know that it was not swept under the carpet as we know that the previous government would have done. This is the kind of budget that we have been passing year in year out and has led to no development and has resulted in no development. I am glad that for once the parliament is really doing its oversight function for once. I said it before and will say it again, PDP did APC and Nigeria a great favour without knowing by pointing out the errors. Nigeria will be better off for it.

At the highlighted, pray tell when we ever passed 6 trillion budget?
Also, are you aware when there was outcry by the people in government concerning Jonathan's 1bn food he reduced the figure?
The people who cried that he reduced it came into office less than one year later and increased the figure by 70%. Is something not wrong with you for trying to defend this embarrassment?

115 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 3:29pm On Feb 16, 2016
Am not talking about the total amount, I am talking about the padding and the likes. Not even presidency has defended the budget so why should I? I am saying that I am happy that it was not swept under the carpet but was exposed. That is my take on the matter.
TechWalker007:

At the highlighted, pray tell when we ever passed 6 trillion budget?
Also, are you aware when there was outcry by the people in government concerning Jonathan's 1bn food he reduced the figure?
The people who cried that he reduced it came into office less than one year later and increased the figure by 70%. Is something not wrong with you for trying to defend this embarrassment?

1 Like

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by snailspeed: 3:32pm On Feb 16, 2016
9jatriot:

1. It cannot be swept under the carpet because it was exposed by people who will make sure it doesn't! The world has changed. The last government did not sweep the complains under the carpet. They responded by reducing several line items.

2. This is not the kind of budget we have been passing before. We have never passed a 6 trillion budget with about 2 trillion fraud nor have we ever had a budget that required a third of it to be funded from loans.

3. Referring to the fraud as errors is laughable. They are not errors. They are outright theft and a brazen one at that

69 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 3:44pm On Feb 16, 2016
1. I make bold to say that no other budget in our history has undergone as much scrutiny as this budget has gone through. Those who you say exposed it have done Nigeria, APC and presidency a favour unknowingly. They provided a free audit for the budget.

2. We have never passed a 6T does not mean we should never pass a 6T budget or more, countries all over the world are sometimes faced with a situation of budget deficit. The problem with the budget is not the total amount but the frivolous items that somehow found their way into the budget.

3. If there were outright theft, then the ministers would not be rejecting the budgets in their defence, they would rather have been defending the items using stupid logics as have been experience before. Sacking a fall guy as you called it is a clear message to civil servants and all those who prepared the budget that if you allow yourself to be used, you will become a scapegoat.
snailspeed:

1. It cannot be swept under the carpet because it was exposed by people who will make sure it doesn't! The world has changed. The last government did not sweep the complains under the carpet. They responded by reducing several line items.

2. This is not the kind of budget we have been passing before. We have never passed a 6 trillion budget with about 2 trillion fraud nor have we ever had a budget that required a third of it to be funded from loans.

3. Referring to the fraud as errors is laughable. They are not errors. They are outright theft and a brazen one at that

6 Likes

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by snailspeed: 4:01pm On Feb 16, 2016
9jatriot:
1. I make bold to say that no other budget in our history has undergone as much scrutiny as this budget has gone through. Those who you say exposed it have done Nigeria, APC and presidency a favour unknowingly. They provided a free audit for the budget.

2. We have never passed a 6T does not mean we should never pass a 6T budget or more, countries all over the world are sometimes faced with a situation of budget deficit. The problem with the budget is not the total amount but the frivolous items that somehow found their way into the budget.

3. If there were outright theft, then the ministers would not be rejecting the budgets in their defence, they would rather have been defending the items using stupid logics as have been experience before. Sacking a fall guy as you called it is a clear message to civil servants and all those who prepared the budget that if you allow yourself to be used, you will become a scapegoat.

You argument is very weak bro.

1. The frivolous items didn't somehow find their way into the budget. It was deliberately put there by human beings. Your use of such a phrase gives you up blatantly.

2. The total amount is a problem as long as almost a third of the budget is fraud. We are not talking about 1% fraud here. This is really mind boggling

3. The reason the ministers didn't defend it is because it is indefensible! Any attempt to defend it will leave anyone with a black eye. Even the APC social media zombies could not defend it. If it was not that bad, the ministers would definitely have defended it. You recall lie Mohammed initially tried to defend it, but when the revelations kept coming out, he got overwhelmed. They thought they could still pull it through but they were greatly mistaken. If the president was interested in public scrutiny, he would have made a statement a long time ago and pulled the budget back. But what did he do then? He attempted to steal it. Have you forgotten that? Have you forgotten how we ended up with two budgets? Aha

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 4:14pm On Feb 16, 2016
1. The suspects who deliberately put them there have been asked to go in the recent sack. A first step in the right direction.

2. The total amount is not the bone of contention in this case. It is the content that make up the total amount. If we get the content right, the total amount will not be an issue. Note also that a budget is a proposed expenditure matched with an expected income. A budget deficit handles d gap between your project income and your projected expenditure. If the loan is used for capital projects that will on the long run pay for themselves then you need not worry.

3. What ever their reasons are, they did not defend it instead, they put the flaw budget on the budget website for more scrutiny. That in itself is a good step in the right direction. Excepting that there are errors that we have an opportunity to correct.

snailspeed:

You argument is very weak bro.

1. The frivolous items didn't somehow find their way into the budget. It was deliberately put there by human beings. Your use of such a phrase gives you up blatantly.

2. The total amount is a problem as long as almost a third of the budget is fraud. We are not talking about 1% fraud here. This is really mind boggling

3. The reason the ministers didn't defend it is because it is indefensible! Any attempt to defend it will leave anyone with a black eye. Even the APC social media zombies could not defend it. If it was not that bad, the ministers would definitely have defended it. You recall lie Mohammed initially tried to defend it, but when the revelations kept coming out, he got overwhelmed. They thought they could still pull it through but they were greatly mistaken. If the president was interested in public scrutiny, he would have made a statement a long time ago and pulled the budget back. But what did he do then? He attempted to steal it. Have you forgotten that? Have you forgotten how we ended up with two budgets? Aha

4 Likes

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by snailspeed: 4:30pm On Feb 16, 2016
9jatriot:
1. The suspects who deliberately put them there have been asked to go in the recent sack. A first step in the right direction.

2. The total amount is not the bone of contention in this case. It is the content that make up the total amount. If we get the content right, the total amount will not be an issue. Note also that a budget is a proposed expenditure matched with an expected income. A budget deficit handles d gap between your project income and your projected expenditure. If the loan is used for capital projects that will on the long run pay for themselves then you need not worry.

3. What ever their reasons are, they did not defend it instead, they put the flaw budget on the budget website for more scrutiny. That in itself is a good step in the right direction. Excepting that there are errors that we have an opportunity to correct.

You keep repeating the same flawed arguments and making strange claims. The people who put the items there have not been sacked! They are walking free and laughing at the rest of us! The budget office did not write the budget. The DG of the budget office is only culpable of not scrutinising thoroughly.

The ministers who own the budgets are all laughing at Nigeria. Even the presidency that budgeted more money for aso rock clinic than what was budgeted for the whole teaching hospitals in Nigeria, is laughing their heads off. They have not been sacked and will not be.

I didn't even talk about the issue of inflated costs and skewed priorities which is different from fraudulent line items. Like the Aso rock clinic over teaching hospitals.

They put the budget on the budget website after the budget was already all over the place. What choice did they have? That was damage control. That was also after the scandal had trended as #BudgetOfYams on social media for over 3 weeks and had been reviewed by several news houses. They didn't put it up for scrutiny. They are only attempting damage control.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 8:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
my argument is superior to the emotional argument you are coming up with here. I don't want to believe you honestly think minister who were sworn in in November created a 1800 page document in their office just like that, you are far more sophisticated to think like that abeg. They may accept responsibility for the budget since the document emanated from their minisitries but to assume those figures came from their office is out rightly ridiculous. Even small business talk inputs from staffs in preparing their annual budget

Each ministry gets inputs from the MDAs, which is collated by these ministries before being sent to the budget office. The ownership of the budget is the minister in charge of budget while the president as the leader bears responsibility for it. An inquest into how strange figures got into the budget is on and I repeat certain people were sacked on the 15th of February, 2016.

An no, the minister and presidency are not laughing as you claim, they are so embarrassed that they are attempting to clean up the budget by first rejecting the padded ones and replacing same with hopefully a better one. If the aso rock story is true, then it will be among the ones corrected. Soludo claimed that this budget was copied from the previous one, if so, then I can safely assume that this aso rock item may have been there all these while but because of the secrecy in matters like that, we did not know, now we have a government that does not mind being criticised and allowed the budget to be exposed, you claim it was everywhere and so they did not have a choice, how come no budget before now was as scrutinised as this and that is what gives me hope.

In summary, the budget as it is did not fulfil the initial hype, luckily, those who wanted to embarrassed the government turned out to have done the country a big favour by exposing the errors in the budget thereby proving a free audit. Now those errors will be cleared up and we will move to actual implementation. Before now, the heads of these MDAs will be bribing the parliament committees on budget and so get their budgets approved, that did not happen in this case as far as I suspect that to me is a plus and I stand by that
snailspeed:

You keep repeating the same flawed arguments and making strange claims. The people who put the items there have not been sacked! They are walking free and laughing at the rest of us! The budget office did not write the budget. The DG of the budget office is only culpable of not scrutinising thoroughly.

The ministers who own the budgets are all laughing at Nigeria. Even the presidency that budgeted more money for aso rock clinic than what was budgeted for the whole teaching hospitals in Nigeria, is laughing their heads off. They have not been sacked and will not be.

I didn't even talk about the issue of inflated costs and skewed priorities which is different from fraudulent line items. Like the Aso rock clinic over teaching hospitals.

They put the budget on the budget website after the budget was already all over the place. What choice did they have? That was damage control. That was also after the scandal had trended as #BudgetOfYams on social media for over 3 weeks and had been reviewed by several news houses. They didn't put it up for scrutiny. They are only attempting damage control.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by baralatie(m): 9:04pm On Feb 16, 2016
9jatriot:
my argument is superior to the emotional argument you are coming up with here. I don't want to believe you honestly think minister who were sworn in in November created a 1800 page document in their office just like that, you are far more sophisticated to think like that abeg. They may accept responsibility for the budget since the document emanated from their minisitries but to assume those figures came from their office is out rightly ridiculous. Even small business talk inputs from staffs in preparing their annual budget

Each ministry gets inputs from the MDAs, which is collated by these ministries before being sent to the budget office. The ownership of the budget is the minister in charge of budget while the president as the leader bears responsibility for it. An inquest into how strange figures got into the budget is on and I repeat certain people were sacked on the 15th of February, 2016.

An no, the minister and presidency are not laughing as you claim, they are so embarrassed that they are attempting to clean up the budget by first rejecting the padded ones and replacing same with hopefully a better one. If the aso rock story is true, then it will be among the ones corrected. Soludo claimed that this budget was copied from the previous one, if so, then I can safely assume that this aso rock item may have been there all these while but because of the secrecy in matters like that, we did not know, now we have a government that does not mind being criticised and allowed the budget to be exposed, you claim it was everywhere and so they did not have a choice, how come no budget before now was as scrutinised as this and that is what gives me hope.

In summary, the budget as it is did not fulfil the initial hype, luckily, those who wanted to embarrassed the government turned out to have done the country a big favour by exposing the errors in the budget thereby proving a free audit. Now those errors will be cleared up and we will move to actual implementation. Before now, the heads of these MDAs will be bribing the parliament committees on budget and so get their budgets approved, that did not happen in this case as far as I suspect that to me is a plus and I stand by that
Are you insisting that the nass should pass the #6tr budget along with the over #1.5tr falsely inserted items?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 10:08pm On Feb 16, 2016
Hell no, I never said so. I am saying that it is a good thing that these errors were detected giving us an opportunity to correct it. That has been my position since I have been having this discuss with snailspeed.

I am surprise that you think that I want it passed like that when the last paragraph of what you quoted says otherwise.

baralatie:

Are you insisting that the nass should pass the #6tr budget along with the over #1.5tr falsely inserted items?

4 Likes

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by porka: 1:29am On Feb 17, 2016
9jatriot:

BREAKING: Buhari sends “corrected” 2016 budget to National Assembly

President Muhammadu Buhari has formally sent amendments to the 2016 budget to the National Assembly.

A letter from the president notifying lawmakers of the “corrections” was read Tuesday by the senate president, Bukola Saraki, during senate plenary.

A document containing the corrections was attached to the letter.

The president in his letter said the “draft bill remains the same and there are no changes in figures”.

The letter reads: ‪“It will be recalled that on Tuesday, 22 December, 2015, I presented my 2016 budget proposals to the joint sitting of the national assembly. I submitted a draft bill accompanied by a schedule of details.

“At the time of submission, we indicated that because the details had just been produced, we would have had to check to ensure that there were no errors in the detailed breakdown contained in the schedule.

“That has since been completed and I understand that the corrections have been submitted.

“The national assembly wouldtherefore have the details as submitted on the 22nd and a copy containing the corrections submitted last week. It appears that this has led to some confusion.

“In this regard, please find attached the corrected version. This is the version the national assembly should work with as my 2016 budget estimates. The draft bill remains the same and there are no changes in any of the figures.”

Mr. Saraki asked the Senate Leader, Ali Ndume, to ensure the copies of the corrected document are circulated today, Tuesday, so that the Senate will start debate on Wednesday.

The 2016 budget generated controversy last week after senators said the documents presented by the president were missing.

The senate on Thursday accused the president’s aide, Ita Enang, of distributing a version of the budget different from what the president submitted.‎

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/196993-breaking-buhari-sends-corrected-2016-budget-to-national-assembly.html

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by snailspeed: 1:48am On Feb 17, 2016
9jatriot:

Honestly, I feel sorry for some of you trying too hard to defend Buhari's fraud. It is such an uphill task because you have sold an integrity lie for so long.

First, please stop making a fool of yourself by suggesting the minister didn't prepare or own their budgets. If the budget was put together by the budget office, they would have been responsible for defending it, not the ministers. That you even suggest that the ministers went to the NASS to defend budgets they didn't prepare is so shameful. Just take it easy on the sycophancy. Budgets are always defended by those who prepoared it. I can't even believe I am typing this!!!

There was no 3 billion aso rock clinic item in the 2015 budget. Again, trying to blame the previous budget four obvious fraud exposes your sycophanc even more.

For the umpteenth time, buhari did not expose the budget. He got caught pants down. He and his fraudulent bunch were caught with their hands in the cookie jar. So sorry to burst your bubble but that fake claim won't fly! Buhari hates being criticised! APC as a party hates being criticised! They almost passed a terrible social media bill for crying out loud. Several people have been arrested already for criticising the government. Lie Mohammed has been going all over the place crying about criticisms.

Again, this is not the first time a budget has been scrutinised. The budget has been heavily scrutinised for the past 3 years. Maybe you have been living in a cave or maybe your APC sycophancy has blinded you so let me remind you that it was several of the line items from the previous budgets that APC used in their campaign against GEJ including the 1 billion for food campaign that was displayed on mega bill boards all over the nation

That you still refer to about 2 trillion naira budget fraud, as errors is all the proof I need to know you are working for your pay. You will need to work harder though.

60 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by TechWalker007: 8:04am On Feb 17, 2016
9jatriot:
Hell no, I never said so. I am saying that it is a good thing that these errors were detected giving us an opportunity to correct it. That has been my position since I have been having this discuss with snailspeed.

I am surprise that you think that I want it passed like that when the last paragraph of what you quoted says otherwise.

Hellooooo, has Buhari recalled the budget after "sacking those who put the "errors" in it?"
Has he removed the "errors" for which they were sacked?

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 8:48am On Feb 17, 2016
Hiiiiii, has d budget been passed the way it is yet? is the government not making effort to correct d budget rather dan try to force it through? have minister not rejected d error filled ones? withdrawal of the budget can be done by deleting d wrong figures and putting in d correct figures, it must not be in d way prescribed by fayose.
TechWalker007:

Hellooooo, has Buhari recalled the budget after "sacking those who put the "errors" in it?"
Has he removed the "errors" for which they were sacked?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by Djicemob: 8:49am On Feb 17, 2016
Lalasticlala obinoscopy...thread begging for more audience.
Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 9:02am On Feb 17, 2016
I intend to make this my last response to u since u keep going in circles and have resorted to outright lies. I am wondering where i said it isnd budget office that prepares d budget. For the records, each agency and MDA prepare their budget and pass to their ministry for collation before d budget office collates all of them, if u do not know this den ... I think d presidency took the steam off ur sail by not defending d budget, it caught u guys offguard. u tell a man ur cloth is dirty and he agrees with surprisingly, yet u keep hammering that it is very dirty. the man has since agreed with u. No body defends d budget d way it is right now, I don't know what language to use to explain that fact to u. let's use this ur thread as a case study, the full blooded APC guys who always defend d government did not bother with any defense because nothing new is in it. they have shown maturity in waiting for a corrected version.
no matter how u guys want to draw this nation back, no effort will be spared to put this nation on track, no effort. have a lovely day

snailspeed:

Honestly, I feel sorry for some of you trying too hard to defend Buhari's fraud. It is such an uphill task because you have sold an integrity lie for so long.

First, please stop making a fool of yourself by suggesting the minister didn't prepare or own their budgets. If the budget was put together by the budget office, they would have been responsible for defending it, not the ministers. That you even suggest that the ministers went to the NASS to defend budgets they didn't prepare is so shameful. Just take it easy on the sycophancy. Budgets are always defended by those who prepoared it. I can't even believe I am typing this!!!

There was no 3 billion aso rock clinic item in the 2015 budget. Again, trying to blame the previous budget four obvious fraud exposes your sycophanc even more.

For the umpteenth time, buhari did not expose the budget. He got caught pants down. He and his fraudulent bunch were caught with their hands in the cookie jar. So sorry to burst your bubble but that fake claim won't fly! Buhari hates being criticised! APC as a party hates being criticised! They almost passed a terrible social media bill for crying out loud. Several people have been arrested already for criticising the government. Lie Mohammed has been going all over the place crying about criticisms.

Again, this is not the first time a budget has been scrutinised. The budget has been heavily scrutinised for the past 3 years. Maybe you have been living in a cave or maybe your APC sycophancy has blinded you so let me remind you that it was several of the line items from the previous budgets that APC used in their campaign against GEJ including the 1 billion for food campaign that was displayed on mega bill boards all over the nation

That you still refer to about 2 trillion naira budget fraud, as errors is all the proof I need to know you are working for your pay. You will need to work harder though.

4 Likes

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by TechWalker007: 9:05am On Feb 17, 2016
9jatriot:
Hiiiiii, has d budget been passed the way it is yet? is the government not making effort to correct d budget rather dan try to force it through? have minister not rejected d error filled ones? withdrawal of the budget can be done by deleting d wrong figures and putting in d correct figures, it must not be in d way prescribed by fayose.

Are you for real? The president and his party admitted the budget is filled with strange items and figures. He tried to get it out through the back door, they were exposed. He finally "made corrections" to the errors and returned it. yet the strange items and figures are still there. Then he accused some people, sacked others and then is "waiting for the budget to be passed or fixed by NASS?"
Are you even listening to yourself? If Buhari agrees that "Budget Mafia" inserted those strange items and figures that ministers have now come out to deny, shouldn't he ask to withdraw the budget, remove the fraud and represent it? If he does that we all know that budget won't be more than N4 trillion.

The only acceptable thing right now would be to withdraw the budget, remove the fraud, from Presidency to the least parastatal and then apologize to Nigeria. That budget should not be more than 4.5 trillion. The rest is plain fraud and attempt to loot.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 9:13am On Feb 17, 2016
thank u. d presidency invariably admits that the budgets needs to be corrected
porka:

BREAKING: Buhari sends “corrected” 2016 budget to National Assembly

President Muhammadu Buhari has formally sent amendments to the 2016 budget to the National Assembly.

A letter from the president notifying lawmakers of the “corrections” was read Tuesday by the senate president, Bukola Saraki, during senate plenary.

A document containing the corrections was attached to the letter.

The president in his letter said the “draft bill remains the same and there are no changes in figures”.

The letter reads: ‪“It will be recalled that on Tuesday, 22 December, 2015, I presented my 2016 budget proposals to the joint sitting of the national assembly. I submitted a draft bill accompanied by a schedule of details.

“At the time of submission, we indicated that because the details had just been produced, we would have had to check to ensure that there were no errors in the detailed breakdown contained in the schedule.

“That has since been completed and I understand that the corrections have been submitted.

“The national assembly wouldtherefore have the details as submitted on the 22nd and a copy containing the corrections submitted last week. It appears that this has led to some confusion.

“In this regard, please find attached the corrected version. This is the version the national assembly should work with as my 2016 budget estimates. The draft bill remains the same and there are no changes in any of the figures.”

Mr. Saraki asked the Senate Leader, Ali Ndume, to ensure the copies of the corrected document are circulated today, Tuesday, so that the Senate will start debate on Wednesday.

The 2016 budget generated controversy last week after senators said the documents presented by the president were missing.

The senate on Thursday accused the president’s aide, Ita Enang, of distributing a version of the budget different from what the president submitted.‎

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/196993-breaking-buhari-sends-corrected-2016-budget-to-national-assembly.html

2 Likes

Re: Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud by 9jatriot(m): 9:23am On Feb 17, 2016
if u think this is a boyfriend girlfriend where one party says am sorry to make d other happy u r mistaken. An apology will not correct the budget, those who prepared d budget are the ones to still correct it. I insist they are a lot of ways to correct it, it does not have to be withdrawal alone. delete button, erasers, correction fluids etc are other methods. if pmb decides to use d withdrawal method it's his call and not yours
TechWalker007:

Are you for real? The president and his party admitted the budget is filled with strange items and figures. He tried to get it out through the back door, they were exposed. He finally "made corrections" to the errors and returned it. yet the strange items and figures are still there. Then he accused some people, sacked others and then is "waiting for the budget to be passed or fixed by NASS?"
Are you even listening to yourself? If Buhari agrees that "Budget Mafia" inserted those strange items and figures that ministers have now come out to deny, shouldn't he ask to withdraw the budget, remove the fraud and represent it? If he does that we all know that budget won't be more than N4 trillion.

The only acceptable thing right now would be to withdraw the budget, remove the fraud, from Presidency to the least parastatal and then apologize to Nigeria. That budget should not be more than 4.5 trillion. The rest is plain fraud and attempt to loot.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Needs Ndigbo Now – Saraki / Buhari Approves New NDDC Board / PDP Alleges Plot To Upturn Makinde’s Victory At Supreme Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 192
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.