Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

"Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce (977 Views)

Ben Murray-bruce Reacts To Okon Lagos Commonsense IG Post / Hilarious Tweet By Ben Murray-bruce & People Can't Stop Talking About It / APC Shouting CHAINS And We Heard CHANGE By Ben Murray (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by jnrbayano(m): 8:22am On Feb 17, 2016
Many Nigerians are complaining about the constant fall in the value of the Naira and they blame the Government.

But is the government really to blame? In truth, our insatiable appetite for all things foreign is to blame.

I always fly Arik Business Class whenever I am traveling abroad except Arik does not fly on that route.

Not only is an Arik ticket a fraction of the cost of a British Airways ticket, but the money I pay to Arik circulates in Nigeria and helps firm up the Naira's value.

As I speak to you today, a British Airways Business to London is ₦2,103,666 while Arik Business is ₦551,545 yet our elite still fly BA

But though Arik offers an affordable alternative to British Airways and other foreign airlines, our big men prefer to pay double what Arik charges to BA and other foreign airlines for the same services and yet they complain about the value of the Naira.

I have Nasco cornflakes and I have eaten Kellogs cornflakes. In terms of nutrition and taste they are almost indistinguishable. Yet our elite who will rather eat Kellogs than Nasco cornflakes, wonder why the Naira is falling!

Even something like Quaker Oats can be substituted with corn meal known locally as pap.

Obasanjo Farms of Nigeria and other large scale poultry farms have the capacity to provide chicken for the entire nation. Since that is the case, why are we even buying imported chicken?

In fact what is wrong if every family in Nigeria has a poultry in their backyard to give them eggs and meat?

My steward went to Makoko, which is one of the largest fishing communities in Lagos. He wanted to buy fish and they were selling imported frozen fish!

Yet in the very waters in front of them, there exist fresh fish that is more nutritious than the cheap frozen fish they were selling.

We keep spending over 1 Billion Naira importing rice when our own farmers are capable of meeting our national demand for rice. But for some reason, Nigerians just prefer to buy imported rice.

The imported rice we buy in Nigeria is not as good as our local rice because it has been stored for years in silos and treated with chemicals.

Moreover, every time you buy it, your money is going out of Nigeria to service an economy in Asia. The end result is that their currency gains value while ours loses value.

Have you ever wondered why European Premiership Clubs are so interested in Nigeria? It is because Nigerians spend billions traveling to Europe to watch their games, buy their merchandise and promote their leagues.

Yet, back at home, we would not be caught dead watching our own local league.

If we will not spend money on made in Nigeria goods and services, how can we expect our Naira to hold its value and appreciate?

Obviously we can not cut ourselves off from the world. No nation is an island, but at least we can fly Nigerian airlines, eat locally produced food and patronize our football league.

If we do this, not only will our economy grow and produce jobs for Nigerians, it will also make our goods and services improve in value such that they will be attractive enough to be imported.

I bought Innoson vehicles as official cars for my staff. I have never lived to regret it one day. They are comfortable and durable. But most of all, I know that my purchase helps to keep jobs in Nigeria and improve the value of the Naira.

I urge you to do the same. We have no other country but Nigeria and it is you and I that will make it what it is.

If we buy Naija We Will Grow Naira

My name is Ben Murray-Bruce and I just want to make Commonsense!

#BuyNaijaToGrowTheNaira

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=429413070589743&id=279327892264929
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by jnrbayano(m): 8:23am On Feb 17, 2016
"One-tenth of wisdom is being wise in time"
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by tucky200(m): 8:29am On Feb 17, 2016
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by PoliticalThuG(m): 8:34am On Feb 17, 2016
That is our next presido talking

1 Like

Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Elosky20: 8:34am On Feb 17, 2016
Stopping the importation of certain product will only lead to gross inflation, nigeria is yet to stabilize our power sector, so if we all start to buy naija products and shun the imported ones, it will lead us to what is happening btw dollars and naira in the black market.
Stopping people frm watching european league in nigeria is impossible regardless of how u promote nigerian league, i watch european league because of the quality. you cant compare watching career footballers and their part time/amateur counterpart in nigeria.
Buhari would have done all this during his military tenure when he introduced counter trade balance. but nigeria choosed to borrow, and that was why he was removed.
#prayForNaira

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Luckylife(m): 8:36am On Feb 17, 2016
Ruling Nigeria with commonsense I bit you in the next 4 year things will be much better.
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Eebrahym(m): 8:42am On Feb 17, 2016
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Eebrahym(m): 8:43am On Feb 17, 2016
My name is Ben Murray-Bruce and I just want to make Commonsense!

You actually made it
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Flexherbal(m): 8:49am On Feb 17, 2016
Ben is becoming popular.

1 Like

Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by segzyj(m): 8:53am On Feb 17, 2016
You must also be showing only made in Nigeria film in your Cinema too and stop selling pop corn I will buy for 50 naira from mama uzor at 1000 Naira too
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by babyfaceafrica: 8:53am On Feb 17, 2016
Nonsense
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 17, 2016
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Sammyashol(m): 8:59am On Feb 17, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Nonsense
Am 100% sure u didn't read a line 4rm dat piece.

2 Likes

Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by sdindan: 8:59am On Feb 17, 2016
segzyj:
You must also be showing only made in Nigeria film in your Cinema too and stop selling pop corn I will buy for 50 naira from mama uzor at 1000 Naira too

So u went to d cinema at gun point.

isnt compulsory to comment broh!

The commonsense is not common to some people

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Sammyashol(m): 9:10am On Feb 17, 2016
God bless this man atleast locally made products will be patronise.
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Elosky20: 9:13am On Feb 17, 2016
sdindan:

So u went to d cinema at gun point.

isnt compulsory to comment broh!

The commonsense is not common to some people
my brother he also made common sense, selling pop corn at 1000 naira is nt gud, especially when they are made in naija. it means he is still forcing people to patronise the foreign ones. naija product should be affordable b4 we can think of buying it, that is why u still see smuggled rice in the market they are relatively cheap compared to local rice.
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by tuniski: 9:14am On Feb 17, 2016
We must consciously do everything to stop importing petroleum products. The govt is hiding its failure of making nigeria a refining nation under banning and unbanning of small items. The real forex demand pressure is from importation of petroleum products! QED
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by sdindan: 9:16am On Feb 17, 2016
Elosky20:

my brother he also made common sense, selling pop corn at 1000 naira is nt gud, especially when they are made in naija. it means he is still forcing people to patronise the foreign ones. naija product should be affordable b4 we can think of buying it, that is why u still see smuggled rice in the market they are relatively cheap compared to local rice.

okay!

pls dont go to that cinema again.
watch cartoon network in ur house with ur siblings
is more cheaper.
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Elosky20: 9:25am On Feb 17, 2016
sdindan:

okay!
pls dont go to that cinema again. watch cartoon network in ur house with ur siblings is more cheaper.
just trying to make common sense also
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:37am On Feb 17, 2016
Elosky20:
Stopping the importation of certain product will only lead to gross inflation, nigeria is yet to stabilize our power sector, so if we all start to buy naija products and shun the imported ones, it will lead us to what is happening btw dollars and naira in the black market.
Stopping people frm watching european league in nigeria is impossible regardless of how u promote nigerian league, i watch european league because of the quality. you cant compare watching career footballers and their part time/amateur counterpart in nigeria.
Buhari would have done all this during his military tenure when he introduced counter trade balance. but nigeria choosed to borrow, and that was why he was removed.
the bottom line is Nigeria needs big fasting and prayers by our top men of God and not common sense,
#prayForNaira
that's the problem with us,Africans.
How can you say we need prayers and fasting from top men of God and not common sense?
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by Elosky20: 9:49am On Feb 17, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

that's the problem with us,Africans.
How can you say we need prayers and fasting from top men of God and not common sense?
my brother the situation nigeria is in now is just beyond common sense,
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:53am On Feb 17, 2016
Elosky20:

my brother the situation nigeria is in now is just beyond common sense,
it's this common sense we lack, not prayers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by jnrbayano(m): 7:22pm On Feb 17, 2016
kin8744:

Haven't you figured out what to contribute as yet Mr Dot?
Re: "Commonsense" By Ben Murray-Bruce by phemmyutd(m): 7:40pm On Feb 17, 2016
When Nigeria made is more expensive than imported product. I need to apply my own common sense

(1) (Reply)

Immenent Disaster-onikan/takwa Bay Bridge Railing / Late James Ocholi's Son Wish Before His Untimely Death / Kano Governor,Ganduje Orders Police 2 Seal Off Ex Governor Kwankwaso Office(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.