Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn (25700 Views)

Nationwide Blackout Imminent As Power Generation Falls Below 3,000MW / Jonathan Didn’t Order Electricity Tariff Reversal, Ex-nerc Chair Replies Fashola / FG Opposes Electricity Tariff Reversal, Backs NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Bevista: 1:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Goke7:
There is no politics here bruv, the privatization process is flawed and the way to go is a more comprehensive privatization process that will bring more serious players than this skelewu dancers we presently have. They are the problem, do you know that we would have been at the mercy of fuel marketers and be buying petrol at a very high rate now if not for the timely intervention of PMB and his tactical removal of subsidy? That is what we need right now in the power sector, we need to be free from the whims and caprices of the unserious dicscos
The position of the Senate is politicizing a Market issue.
---
The FG does not have much leverage anymore in the power sector after selling off its assets in Generation and Distribution. In the case of fuel imports, the FG has some leverage since NNPC can import over 70% of local needs and they also own local refineries that can augment supply.
---
Unfortunately, the problem is not the DISCOs or government. They are only a reflection of the prevailing mindset of society. As a people, most of us are inherently fraudulent, deceitful, and cheats. When we eventually become public officials, we simply exhibit who we are.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by OmoOsanyin: 1:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
ON ELECTRICITY TARIFF INCREASE...

(A CALL FOR EMANCIPATION & FREEDOM).

Suggestions:

1. Lifestyle changes for the common man, do all you have to do before dusk, then prepare and go to bed after dark. Early to bed, early to rise, makes one strong healthy and wise. Thus undue power cut or blackout threats will be innefective. Afterall, artificial (nepa, phcn, discos, gencos, generators etc) light after dark is actually an adopted learned lifestlye that we became depended upon. If God wanted it otherwise, there will be no dusk, which i believe has its purpose, just like dawn. If we can all sacrifice and do this, the demand for power will fall tremendously. Thus electricity power extortion will be fade off. Boycott their cut-throat un-services. With time, with little or no demand for light after dark from them, these companies will either collapse or offer free deals to attract usage of their negleted supply. We must learn to unlearn that which enslaves us.

Possible societal effects:
a). It will make us seriously seek and create better alternatives, eg solar at a very cheap and affordable rate.
B) we will literarily learn to make hay while the sun shines.
C) longer night rest and increased efficiency next day.
D) back to the 'dark ages'? We already live as such for decades anyway at a high price.
E). Outsource power supply to foreign companies. Theirs do work without exploiting and making their people pay for un-used services...yet they are no magicians.
F). Dissolve privatisation of electricity services . Let the Feds handle it. Nigeria's glory days of power supply goes far back as when the British were here and when we had E.C.N. (Electrical Corporation of Nigeria). Most of you around today may not know about ECN.
G) let businesses, corporations etc , if they must use power and or generators.
H) if the masses can all shun these inefficient, extorting, power supply companies and their lukewarm services, the Feds will wake up and provide a solution.
I) a nationwide call to action & change street demonstration boycotting use of this failed privatisation...he who pays the piper, ought to dictate the tune, not the other way round. Nepa, phcn, discos, gencos, generators etc need the people to exist and function, the people dont actually need them to exist and function.
If these electricty provision bodies are incapable of providing adequate services without first milking the populace to finance their cost, then they should quit and throw in the towel.

It is illegal, criminal and corrupt to charge the people any fixed amount and in this regard N750 monthly fixed charges, whether you provide service or not, or whether the mediocre service is consumed or not; as though that isn't appaling enough, they have the effrontery of tariff increase. I spit on you and such audacity and reject you! The Senate, President Muhammadu Buhari with the sword of anti-corruption, should not allow this to be, lest they appear un-serious.
Hitherto, these private companies should not open shop for business, if they within can't cover operational cost.

WHY THE PRIVATISATION ANYWAY? IT IS AN APPARENT FRAUD & FAILURE AND SHOULD BE SCRAPPED WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT!!!

It is a scam, unethical and immoral to not provide billing meters, moreso when it is deliberate, with meters lying fallow in offices and turn around extorting monies from the masses using over-inflated estimated billing methods. How exactly are these estimates arrived at? What are the actual indices used?

The people must arise, awake and dissolve this extortive callous matrimony of the apron string dependence of all service providers, including ineffectual, slowpoke governments.

While a good efficient political 'change' will always be embraced, I believe the actual 'change' Nigeria needs isn't political or external, but inwards, in the individual. A 'change' of self-sufficiency, self-contentment, self acceptance and self-dependence.

Let us shed all the negatives, let them all go. We will be better and happier humans.

These scavengers have this audacity really because Nigerians are apologetically way too meek, scared, yellow-bellied, yellow-livered and dis-united; still enslaved under the whims and caprices of the canopy of divide-and-rule.
Imagine how your politicians, soldiers, public servants STEAL with gross impunity and you go to sleep and wake up and go about daily... business as usual. Arrests here, probe there, money recovered here or there, from who no convictions, no one jailed to date. No...No...No!!!

NIGERIANS, ENOUGH OF THE BULL!!!!!!
WE MUST GET UP, STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS AND NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Your civil rights (...'left') activists are couch potatoes and your shameless BLONDE WIG wearing, thieving, conniving judiciary have their heads buried between their cracks. So we must emancipate and liberate ourselves from this physical, emotional, mental and spiritual slavery NOW!

The best things in life (Nature) are actually free!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Goke7: 1:49pm On Feb 18, 2016
Bevista:
The position of the Senate is politicizing a Market issue.
---
The FG does not have much leverage anymore in the power sector after selling off its assets in Generation and Distribution. In the case of fuel imports, the FG has some leverage since NNPC can import over 70% of local needs and they also own local refineries that can augment supply.
---
Unfortunately, the problem is not the DISCOs or government. They are only a reflection of the prevailing mindset of society. As a people, most of us are inherently fraudulent, deceitful, and cheats. When we eventually become public officials, we simply exhibit who we are

@the bolded, I agree with you 100% as this was the basis of the so called privatization of the power sector, it was fraudulent, deceitful and full of cheats in the name of discos. The present FG has to clean that mess to save the power sector simple.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Goke7: 1:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
OmoOsanyin:
ON ELECTRICITY TARIFF INCREASE...

(A CALL FOR EMANCIPATION & FREEDOM).

Suggestions:

1. Lifestyle changes for the common man, do all you have to do before dusk, then prepare and go to bed after dark. Early to bed, early to rise, makes one strong healthy and wise. Thus undue power cut or blackout threats will be innefective. Afterall, artificial (nepa, phcn, discos, gencos, generators etc) light after dark is actually an adopted learned lifestlye that we became depended upon. If God wanted it otherwise, there will be no dusk, which i believe has its purpose, just like dawn. If we can all sacrifice and do this, the demand for power will fall tremendously. Thus electricity power extortion will be fade off. Boycott their cut-throat un-services. With time, with little or no demand for light after dark from them, these companies will either collapse or offer free deals to attract usage of their negleted supply. We must learn to unlearn that which enslaves us.

Possible societal effects:
a). It will make us seriously seek and create better alternatives, eg solar at a very cheap and affordable rate.
B) we will literarily learn to make hay while the sun shines.
C) longer night rest and increased efficiency next day.
D) back to the 'dark ages'? We already live as such for decades anyway at a high price.
E). Outsource power supply to foreign companies. Theirs do work without exploiting and making their people pay for un-used services...yet they are no magicians.
F). Dissolve privatisation of electricity services . Let the Feds handle it. Nigeria's glory days of power supply goes far back as when the British were here and when we had E.C.N. (Electrical Corporation of Nigeria). Most of you around today may not know about ECN.
G) let businesses, corporations etc , if they must use power and or generators.
H) if the masses can all shun these inefficient, extorting, power supply companies and their lukewarm services, the Feds will wake up and provide a solution.
I) a nationwide call to action & change street demonstration boycotting use of this failed privatisation...he who pays the piper, ought to dictate the tune, not the other way round. Nepa, phcn, discos, gencos, generators etc need the people to exist and function, the people dont actually need them to exist and function.
If these electricty provision bodies are incapable of providing adequate services without first milking the populace to finance their cost, then they should quit and throw in the towel.

It is illegal, criminal and corrupt to charge the people any fixed amount and in this regard N750 monthly fixed charges, whether you provide service or not, or whether the mediocre service is consumed or not; as though that isn't appaling enough, they have the effrontery of tariff increase. I spit on you and such audacity and reject you! The Senate, President Muhammadu Buhari with the sword of anti-corruption, should not allow this to be, lest they appear un-serious.
Hitherto, these private companies should not open shop for business, if they within can't cover operational cost.

WHY THE PRIVATISATION ANYWAY? IT IS AN APPARENT FRAUD & FAILURE AND SHOULD BE SCRAPPED WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT!!!

It is a scam, unethical and immoral to not provide billing meters, moreso when it is deliberate, with meters lying fallow in offices and turn around extorting monies from the masses using over-inflated estimated billing methods. How exactly are these estimates arrived at? What are the actual indices used?

The people must arise, awake and dissolve this extortive callous matrimony of the apron string dependence of all service providers, including ineffectual, slowpoke governments.

While a good efficient political 'change' will always be embraced, I believe the actual 'change' Nigeria needs isn't political or external, but inwards, in the individual. A 'change' of self-sufficiency, self-contentment, self acceptance and self-dependence.

Let us shed all the negatives, let them all go. We will be better and happier humans.

These scavengers have this audacity really because Nigerians are apologetically way too meek, scared, yellow-bellied, yellow-livered and dis-united; still enslaved under the whims and caprices of the canopy of divide-and-rule.
Imagine how your politicians, soldiers, public servants STEAL with gross impunity and you go to sleep and wake up and go about daily... business as usual. Arrests here, probe there, money recovered here or there, from who no convictions, no one jailed to date. No...No...No!!!

NIGERIANS, ENOUGH OF THE BULL!!!!!!
WE MUST GET UP, STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS AND NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Your civil rights (...'left') activists are couch potatoes and your shameless BLONDE WIG wearing, thieving, conniving judiciary have their heads buried between their cracks. So we must emancipate and liberate ourselves from this physical, emotional, mental and spiritual slavery NOW!

The best things in life (Nature) are actually free!

100% agreed, the PHCN privatisation is a scam that must be stopped now. thanks
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by omohayek: 2:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
4Play:

It's a strong signal but it is insufficient. Take the problem of the fixed currency regime. Suppose ESKOM wants to invest in a domestic project with an estimated cost of circa 200bn Naira. If they wanted to finance this using external financing, despite the actual or market value of the project being $550m (assuming 360 Naira to $1 exchange rate), they face the prospect of having to raise $1bn to meet the official exchange rate. It's difficult to successfully deregulate a sector when the macro-framework has a command economy policy bias. Raising prices in one sector without addressing some major structural defects like the currency regime is a fast route to a rentier industry beneficial for the incumbents but which does not generate sufficient investment to offset the additional costs increased prices impose on consumers.

I agree. The currency peg also has to go if the Buhari government wants to send a truly investor-friendly message.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by omohayek: 2:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
Ximonak:

Why would we not complain?
Are you using prepaid meter?
Guy we have the old meter, it is still reading but it's estimated bill we do pay for darkness.

Remember this is the second time they want to increase the tariff, on the 10th Feb 2916, 13k was brought for darkness.
I fuel my gen with 15k least minus oil/service monthly.

Landlord have applied for prepared meter and paid since last year(he photostated the receipt and pasted it near the old meter, till today we are still receiving the estimated bill and the prepaid is yet to be installed, we have complain a lot but you will see new buildings being installed with prepaid, you wonder na same EKEDP

I wanted my own, went with 40k since the prepaid is 39k, I was told of some bribe(settlement) everything will be 45k, got angry and left.

Got tired of paying for darkness, I brought the money(45k), oya giv me the form to fill so that I will go and pay said for now they are not giving prepaid...

So what are you saying,

Can't you see, in the very comment by me you've quoted, that I fully support doing away with fixed charges and giving everyone prepaid meters? The issue is that this is not what many people on here are against - they just want constant electricity without being charged more under any circumstances whatsoever.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by phillings247: 2:43pm On Feb 18, 2016
pls.fellow nairalanders,is it true they dont charge 750 fixed rate again,cos my feb.2016 bill still reflects the charge.i stay in aguda surulere,lagos
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 18, 2016
the privatisation process in not being applied here, what it actually was PHCN was bought and sold to a few individuals in power and then provided funds to provide services, then they made do with liabilities such as staff and started running it as a cartel, same price, same policies, how then is our electricity sector a private sector, it isnt, it is a mafia. What Buhari should do is to look into the initial procedure that brought about the unbundling of PHCN and reverse it.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by johnoris(m): 3:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
admax:
The senators really needs to be educated on this as most of them don't understand the dynamics. I can't blame them because they only understand politics.

Nigerians are paying the 2nd cheapest electricity in Africa but want to enjoy 24hrs light as if the equipment needed for electricity generation or transmission are cheap!

Azura a 450MW Genco in Edo will spend over $1.2billion to build their plant, sell to NBET who will give Gencos who will sell for stipends while battling with consumer's who don't pay bills and illegal connections etc so Gencos won't be able to pay NBET who won't pay Azura who won't be able to pay their bank loans (and for gas supply)!

Solution: Increase electricity tariff and cancel estimated billing to consumers. Disconnect those that don't pay. This will bring confidence to the market and attract investors!

People are paying 100 times more than the tariff for running their generators!
I think am reasoning 2 hat u r talking abt..... We nigerians need 2 take jokes apart.... And focus.... 750+45%=#1100 is not dat much..... But the problem wit nepa is dat dey r not trustworthy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Forwetinnah: 3:14pm On Feb 18, 2016
Nepa na tiff!! All the NASS said was that there should be improvement FIRST in power generation before increment. Those thieves are gathering money for 2019 elections with orders from Fashola. No light yet you're increasing power rates. ..after the increment they'll now come up with another shady story

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Forwetinnah: 3:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
comos:
power before increment

Ofcourse...same thing the house told them
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Forwetinnah: 3:21pm On Feb 18, 2016
vickylala239:
Okkk.

I like Karma. ..infact I love it!! When GEJ and NOI said the money in ECA should be kept, Fashola and Ameachi ganged up other governors against them and took them to court. Today, they're reaping the rewards as ministers
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by IBBG(m): 3:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
odeotito:
The capital market is a veritable source of raising funds for doing big business. The power firms should look in that direction. It is absurd and unfair to ask consumers to pay outrageous sums for power not provided to have power provided! Blackmail of this sort by the power firms won't help.
that's exactly my thought. why not the electricity company float shares or bonds in the capital market to raise funds to finance their infrastructural development if they are really serious about business. I trust Nigerians they won't accept this daylight robbery.

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 18, 2016
Where I live I receive a fixed power consumption of 300 units or more at the rate of 23.05 currently, added to a fixed charge of 650 and whatever VAT that resulting from the consumption the distribution company deems fit for the month. And this is irrespective of whether there was light or not. The last time I tried to protest this outrageous extortion, the oga in charge at the NEPA office proudly told me that they were permitted to allot bills to us based on energy exported by the GENCOS, whether we used the energy or not. Now, what kind of country allows this kind of inhumanity to be metted out to her citizens unhindered? Now instead of fixing these irregularities and go things differently, all the current administration can think of is tarrif increase, why not hold off a bit and fix things? I don't even want to talk about the elites who keep mute probably because they're cutting corners to favour themselves. I gave up on this country a while ago, am yet to think of anything that would convince me otherwise. Did I forget to add that I don't live in an urban area.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by spafu(m): 4:02pm On Feb 18, 2016
Yoga shut up, we have always been in darkness and blackout. The only new thing is you guys attempt to steal more from us for giving us more darkness. Light Robbers na him una be.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by GoodGovernance: 4:06pm On Feb 18, 2016
Common sense is not common after-all!

How can I provide you service without agreeing on a profitable price to be paid?Whether payment after service or vice versa,the supplier must have fixed the price that is in his own view, appropriate, before offering any product or service for sale,is that not so? The buyer either negotiates or move on,price reduction is at the absolute discretion of the supplier,not the buyer.

Please let us realize that electric power is just like any other product or service,that has been privatized,this is the reality!Where were the senators/agitators when power was being privatized?

You want to force a business entity to charge a price,tariff that is unprofitable ?The agitators/senators can as well enter Oyingbo market to direct all sellers to reduce the prices of their goods/services.

Nonsense!

The fight should have been against privatization and since we've allowed it,should be ready to face the consequences.The only justifiable fight for now is that all consumers should be metered,but how is this practicable for now,considering the large numbers?

There is no power in your area because the total supply is limited.Supply is limited because the capacity to generate more is limited.Capacity is limited because the industry has not been able to attract investors to generate more. Investors have not been attracted because at the current tariffs,the business of electric power is unprofitable.There is no profitable business in this world that you do not have enough investors if the pricing is right and there is no unnecessary interference!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that the DISCOs have been collecting outrageous fixed charges,estimated billings,etc ,does not mean they have been operating profitably,revenue is different from profit!It only means that hitherto,we had been paying very very little for power,compared to global (even African)standards.

Penny wise,pound foolish!If you do not want to pay higher tariffs and get better power supply and gradually reduced tariff overtime(not immediately,remember what was obtainable in the telecoms sector?),then you end up paying more for fuel in your generator!

There is nowhere in the world where power is stable and consumers are paying as,low as N13 ($0.065,at the official rate of N200 to the $)or even N30,per kilowatt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just pray that dogmatic agitators would allow common sense to prevail!

1 Like

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 4:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
Disgusting CRIMINALS! I blame d useless govt dat sold nepa to u for a token 300billion/cluelessly bail u out with 500billion + illegal/fraudulent 750 service charge(guaranteed, power supply or not) nig is a bad joke!!!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by OLIFEX02(m): 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
"Somebody is playing politics with electricity". I think this is the most stupid and sentimental seeking statement in 2016.

How can you buy or startup a business expecting to finance with customer's money? I blame the privatisation process of PHCN, it took awhile before they settled the FG.

For almost 2yrs, they charged 750 Naira as fixed charge per month (either you use their product or not). please multiply 750 by 1m people= 750,000,000..... and the greedy people are hoping for a 45% increase in tariff to operate.

What about estimated bills? What they do is the company zones a particular amount to an area or district and expect the marketers to distribute charges randomly to their customers. That is why a lot of people receive outrageous bills and they are reluctant to share meter to customers.

My advise to them, go to banks and seek loans with a plan on how to service and repay same. Like I always tell Ikeja electricity staffs, "do not forget you are a private company and can be sued. No light equal no finance and Government might revoke ownership".

For a week and half no light in my area. please share your experience in your area
The blackout has already started im my area. 7days in darkness
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by GoodGovernance: 5:15pm On Feb 18, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
"Somebody is playing politics with electricity". I think this is the most stupid and sentimental seeking statement in 2016.

How can you buy or startup a business expecting to finance with customer's money? I blame the privatisation process of PHCN, it took awhile before they settled the FG.

For almost 2yrs, they charged 750 Naira as fixed charge per month (either you use their product or not). please multiply 750 by 1m people= 750,000,000..... and the greedy people are hoping for a 45% increase in tariff to operate.

What about estimated bills? What they do is the company zones a particular amount to an area or district and expect the marketers to distribute charges randomly to their customers. That is why a lot of people receive outrageous bills and they are reluctant to share meter to customers.

My advise to them, go to banks and seek loans with a plan on how to service and repay same. Like I always tell Ikeja electricity staffs, "do not forget you are a private company and can be sued. No light equal no finance and Government might revoke ownership".

For a week and half no light in my area. please share your experience in your area

The amount of LIKES for this crap,shows how ignorant many people are!

Which bank will lend you money for a business whose pricing leads to a negative profitability projection?Or you think banks are father Xmas?

The power suppliers are not asking consumers to finance their business,they are asking them to pay a cost effective price for their service!Electricity is like any other product or service,produced at a cost.For instance I cannot produce 1 unit of power at N50,and expect me to provide ''good,quality service'' at N25! If I do that,operating at a loss,which bank is going to bail me out for more funds?

I just hope the dogmatic agitators would allow common sense to prevail!

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kolakolex: 5:29pm On Feb 18, 2016
admax:
The senators really needs to be educated on this as most of them don't understand the dynamics. I can't blame them because they only understand politics.

Nigerians are paying the 2nd cheapest electricity in Africa but want to enjoy 24hrs light as if the equipment needed for electricity generation or transmission are cheap!

Azura a 450MW Genco in Edo will spend over $1.2billion to build their plant, sell to NBET who will give Gencos who will sell for stipends while battling with consumer's who don't pay bills and illegal connections etc so Gencos won't be able to pay NBET who won't pay Azura who won't be able to pay their bank loans (and for gas supply)!

Solution: Increase electricity tariff and cancel estimated billing to consumers. Disconnect those that don't pay. This will bring confidence to the market and attract investors!

its true that people pay more then 100 times the tarrif to run generators bt at thesame time we have to consider those in the villages.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by OmoOsanyin: 5:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Goke7:

100% agreed, the PHCN privatisation is a scam that must be stopped now. thanks

You're very welcome.

Needless to mention...The blatant failure of the provision of regular power supply in Nigeria through the years is the prime cause of the Nation's lack of development, growth and progress. It is Nigeria's #1 ANATHEMA; (NEPA, PHCN, DISCOS, GENCOS etc); Change the name, but the leopard's spot remains unchangeable. Alongst with thieving politicians, soldiers and public servants with wreckless impunity in high places!
Disgraceful, Shameful, Appalling!!

When a scavenging inefficient service provider (PHCN, Discos, Gencos, etc) resorts to threats and 'scary' tactics of blackmail against consumers that have been extorted by them for years, consumers who now say ENOUGH, NO MORE! Then its time for them to lock up the shop and go home. As it translates to mean that, if you deny our continued extortion and corruption, then we will hold you the nation, Nigeria to ransom and put it in darkness. An apparent threat and act of irresponsibility, sabotage and a TREASONABLE THREAT & OFFENCE . Not only should privatisation be dissolved, those behind the threat and statement and act, should be arrested and charged to court for TREASON, BLACKMAIL, SABOTAGE, CONSPIRACY TO DESTABILIZE THE NATIONS ECONOMY AND PROGRESS, CONSPIRACY TO ENDANGER LIFE AND WELFARE OF THE CITIZENS, CONSPIRACY TO DEFRAUD THE PEOPLE, CONSPIRACY TO NEGATE THE DIRECTIVES OF SENATE RULING, CONSPIRACY TO PLUNGE THE NATION INTO DARKNESS. etc, etc.

In addition those that approved the privatisation, without first ascertaining and confirming that these shylock companies have the resources and capabIility to provide such service on their own, without provision been derived at the expense of the consumers, ...should also be charged to court to explain why the approval for privatisation in the first place; and moreso to these inneficient, irresponsible, money-scheming, extorting, scamming companies.

These, the Buhari administration should investigate to maintain credibility in the fight against corruption. If done, am certain cans of worm will be open and exposed. No pu*sy-footing.
Leave no stone unturned, especially an ugly, fraudulent, failed one with a monstrous head like PHCN, Discos, Gencos and there cohorts!

As already mentioned, the threat to plunge the nation into darkness is assuming and empty on their part, because no change will be felt by consumers anyway, who've had to pay them unduly only to be rewarded with mediocre performance, un-service and darkness. The bright side is consumers then wouldn't officially have to pay anymore for no service. And as this happens they will be officially rendered useless...which they are and sent packing where their sorry arses belong.

ELECTRICITY PRIVATISATION HAS FAILED THE NATION & THE PEOPLE IT WAS ESTABLISHED TO SUPPOSEDLY SERVE AND SHOULD BE SCRAPPED, DISSOLVED WITH ''IMMEDIATE EFFECT AND AUTOMATIC ALACRITY''

Darn inneficient, unscroupulous, thieiving, extorting, bomboclauds!
Let them all go bury their heads in you know where...

President Muhammadu Buhari...
TIME TO ACT!!!

LET YOUR AXE REIGN ON THIS GOOD FOR NOTHING ELECTRICITY POWER SECTOR NOOOWWWWWWW!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by sevule(m): 5:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
admax:

[b]I COMPLETELY AGREE!

They should start disconnecting non paying customers, starting with the National Assembly!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by OmoOsanyin: 5:58pm On Feb 18, 2016
GoodGovernance:

Which bank will lend you money for a business whose pricing leads to a negative profitability projection?Or you think banks are father Xmas?

The power suppliers are not asking consumers to finance their business,they are asking them to pay a cost effective price for their service!Electricity is like any other product or service,produced at a cost.For instance I cannot produce 1 unit of power at N50,and expect me to provide ''good,quality service'' at N25! If I do that,operating at a loss,which bank is going to bail me out for more funds?

Is it a new situation that just came up when they got there. As a private business, should customers provide your start-up and operational cost and finance? And the way out for is to threaten to hold the nation to a blackout ransom and blackmail, a treasonable statement and offence?

Privatisation of the nation's electricity power supply and the way it has been managed to date is a scam ... A FRAUD!

Since they are so inept and can't meet up... Let them gerrrrrrrooouutttt jor.
They definitely won't be missed!!!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by emmygzy(m): 6:02pm On Feb 18, 2016
Bevista:
Let's put things in perspective a bit.
---
Apart from Transmission, the FG has completely divested from Generation and Distribution of power. The private companies managing the GENCOs and DISCOs are likely not to make any long term investment in the sector if pricing of their services is going to always be politicized rather than regulated by the appropriate agency.
---
15 years ago, even with very low network penetration, we allowed GSM companies to charge Nigerians N25k for SIM cards and N50/min for calls. The companies were excited because that price compensated for their investment risk. They invested billions of dollars in infrastructure, employing thousands of Nigerians and supporting thousands of vendors. Today, SIM cards are less than N100 and calls are less than N7/min. Today, you can practically receive calls from every nook and cranny of the country.
---
My point is that the sooner we accept the initial discomfort of high price, the sooner we will get to the point of constant power and lower tariffs. If we were courageous enough to do this ten years ago, we would probably be generating over 20,000MW today with a much reduced tariff. Postpone it and you postpone progress and development. The price we are not willing to pay today will inadvertently be paid (even more) through high cost of manufacturing and running businesses due to inadequate power supply.
---
The actions of the Senate can only work when trying to force the hand of the Executive, not arm twisting private businesses. The private companies have already invested some money in paying for licenses and setting up offices. GENCOs have invested in buying or building power plants. Investments on further infrastructure will need to come from customer receipts. You don't expect them to go to their bank to borrow money for long term investment without clarity on revenue expectations.
Trash. Gerarahia men.
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by 6fit(f): 6:59pm On Feb 18, 2016
phlemzy:
The earlier you realise that the current power sector cannot be sustained with the removal of fixed charges and reversal back to old rates,the better. Discos will not do a business without making profits. They need money pay workers' salaries,pay Gencos for the power supplied them, a fraction of their revenues will go to the transmission line maintenance firms, and even out of this revenue,they will still have to pay for the power losses due to the aging transmission lines. At start off point years back,they have loan facilities obtained by them which they still have to service. Getting another loan may not be a right choice for them when they know that the revenue they'll make will not sustain the running of the business. Its very unfortunate that we may keep hovering around 2000-4500MW at generation level since we all are not ready to tolerate any form of increment.

u dey work for PHCN? Only one solution, distribute metters and let us pay as we use....not increasing tariff and no meter houses pay thru their nose for power never used
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 7:05pm On Feb 18, 2016
Now there's no blackout , we no dey see light

When the blackout comes, will our bulbs still be visible??
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by kolmart: 7:37pm On Feb 18, 2016
It is a pity that despite the exposure globally some people blind to the extent that they are supporting 45% increase on NEPA tarrif. are these people want to be enslave/suffer till their eternity? A right sensible will never agree with the tariff increase. What are they increasing? blackout? funny still some sensible people are still support this type of daylight robbery. Most of the power station were sold the former presidents,ministers and Dishonourable people who milked us dry when in office now that they are out of office they still want to continue? never again. though some were born to suffer and enslave like those people supporting the increase,but let us tell them that we are not born to suffer like them. they were born to die in darkness but we are not. how can I be paying increase on blackout? we are not fool. GENCO are advertising in almost newspapers that they are generating 5000+ megawatts let's ask them where are distributing it into? am enjoying power supply when NEPA was generating 2000+ megawatts than this time of 5000+ let us ask them are they promoting darkness? Enough is enough of this cheating
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Inspectahdeck(m): 7:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
Mr good governance you can't know it all that's why people come together in forums to air their views which is also their constitutional right. So please never insult a person for saying his or her opinion on any issue because you never know if your thought is "ignorant" or not.

How sure are you that their pricing leads to negative profit projection? Do you work with them? Have you seen their books? Power in every economy is a long term profit making industry that every bank or investor wants to finance. Please give more facts on this.

Until I see their books, I don't believe that they aren't making profit or turnover. They also argued that they want to increase their operation and facilities which I think they should run to the banks.

Payment of estimated bills and fixed charges should cover gas, transmission, salaries etc. This guy makes billions every month.

GoodGovernance:

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Egie4real: 9:45pm On Feb 18, 2016
ijustdey:

www.punchng.com/tariff-reversal-nationwide-blackout-looms-power-firms-warn/

So PHCN threatening to attaining NEPA status? Lol! Please go back because there was more electricity supply then... How can you increase tariff without commensurate increase in service delivery? That's stealing by trick. Either you increase your electricity supply with the tariff increase or provide prepaid meters to all consumers: then let's see how you are getting to get money to pay salaries!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by Nobody: 10:20pm On Feb 18, 2016
kjhova:

You are very correct Goke. Econet and MTN paid almost US$300M each in licensing fees and still spent additionally over a billion dollars to build infrastructure from scratch to the level we are today. They were serious business entities which were already in existence and operations before bidding for the Nigerian licences. They also brought in a functional billing mechanism which put them and not the consumer in charge of bills collection.

The entities GEJ's government sold our power structure to were only briefcase companies with only owners and letterhead papers!! Most of them borrowed funds to pay for the licenses and had no financial nor technical knowhow to improve the structure they were taking over!!!

For those of you who live in Lagos, have you ever seen any IKEDC or EKEDC project around your neighbourhood? Groundbreaking, base cell installation, new 33KVA projects, step down transformers, smart meters that can b remotely tripped off etc

This is not privatisation, no, this is crony capitalism and crass rent collection.
you made alota sense!
Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by GoodGovernance: 12:01am On Feb 19, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
Mr good governance you can't know it all that's why people come togeheir views which is also their constitutional right. So please never insult a person for saying his or her opinion on any issue because you never know if your thought is "ignorant" or not.

How sure are you that their pricing leads to negative profit projection? Do you work with them? Have you seen their books? Power in every economy is a long term profit making industry that every bank or investor wants to finance. Please give more facts on this.

Until I see their books, I don't believe that they aren't making profit or turnover. They also argued that they want to increase their operation and facilities which I think they should run to the banks.

Payment of estimated bills and fixed charges should cover gas, transmission, salaries etc. This guy makes billions every month.

Very interesting,they should run to the banks to finance a non cost effective business model !

For your information,Revenue is different from Profit.And without empirical evidence you are assuming that revenue from estimated bills ,fixed charges etc, have covered their cost,to make profit ?Another crap!

You also expect a private entity to open its books for you before you pay for their product/service.Another crap!Do you request for the books of Sweet Sensation before paying for their meat pie?Or you demand that you eat first before paying?

Ignorantly too,people are not aware that there was an agreed tariff regime with the FG before those guys agreed to take over,via privatization!

How much were we paying for telephone calls at the earlier stages and how much are we paying now?So those who are ironically referring to the telecoms sector should note that we initially paid through our nose before the pricing went down,They charged us appropriately and thus could afford to invest heavily ,without fear of interference or public resistance,otherwise, the sector could also have been a total failure!

Where in the world with a stable power supply,consumers are paying as low as N13($0.065, at official rate of N200) or even N30,for a kilowatt of power

The earlier we accept the reality and consequences of privatisation,the better for all of us on the long run!

However a more reasonable demand, is to ensure that every consumer is metered,soonest!

2 Likes

Re: Tariff Reversal: Nationwide Blackout Looms, Power Firms Warn by latitidejavu: 12:16am On Feb 19, 2016
you know why I like Nigerians...we are spineless. This thread will die after a couple of days and you will all start paying the tariff and hoping on government to save you.

As someone said earlier our leadership reflects us. We are morally deficient and our leadership just reflects this. You receive a bill of 20,000 naira a month and perhaps you live with other tenants who receive similar bills and you cannot come together and file a case of obtaining under false pretence. You deserve that bill. I don't like helpless people. They sent such evil bill to me, I simply did an energy audit of my apartment and forwarded it to EEDC with a strong worded letter from my lawyer and the next month my bill came down. I told my neighbours and they said its only God that will help them. They are more educated than me.

You all deserve to live in pain. Imagine if estates and buildings all start filing cases against this criminality. They will be forced to provide meters.

To Brevista and co defending the increase...you have little idea of the rot that accompained the privatization scheme. Take this from an insider. If you did, you will keep quiet and watch this fight from outside like some of us.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophet Odumeje On 2023: "Only Ndigbo Can Revive Nigerian Economy" (VIDEO) / Charles Soludo, Rejects ‘His Excellency’ Title, Opts for ‘Mr Governor’ / Nigeria In Recession Because Of Hurried Implementation Of TSA – Ben Murray Bruce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.