Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,583 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Crime Lords Running West Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Crime Lords Running West Africa (915 Views)

Ebola: Donald Trump Wants US To Stop All Flights From West Africa To The US / Romney Picks Paul Ryan As His Running Mate / Only Ghanaian Rule Can Save West Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crime Lords Running West Africa by Ikomi(m): 5:56am On Jul 09, 2009
The United Nations says organised crime is "plundering" West Africa, as illicit goods flood through the region.

A report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime says the smuggling of oil, arms, toxic waste, diamonds and cigarettes continues to flourish in West Africa.

Corruption is also rife among senior officials, undermining democracy and economic development, the UN says.

But the report did notice one positive trend: a reduction in the flow of cocaine through West Africa to Europe.

In recent years West African countries have been used as a transit point by Colombian drug lords. But increased international attention has smothered some trafficking activity in the past year.

Development in danger

The report identified oil theft and smuggling as the greatest threat to West Africa, as it is directly linked to insurgency and violence in the region.

In Nigeria, some 55 million barrels of oil - nearly one-tenth of the country's annual production - are lost every year through theft and smuggling. The illicit trade often leads to pollution.

West Africa has also become a major destination for electronic waste from Europe, such as old phones, computers and batteries, which is another threat to the environment.

"Organised crime is plundering West Africa, destroying governments, the environment, human rights and health," said UNODC head Antonio Maria Costa.

The agency warned that democracy and development would continue to falter in West Africa while crime and corruption flourish.

Does anything here sound familiar. undecided
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by ElRazur: 10:51am On Jul 09, 2009
I wonder what the defenders of Africa have to say on this one. I have a feeling the West is gonna get blamed one way or the other.

To me, this is just stating the obvious. We still have a very long way to go. I suppose some of the solution we may look at are: Making our borders less porous, A government that have proper accountability, Go back to the drawing board etc. If not, these things would persist for a long time.
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by GEW: 10:54am On Jul 09, 2009
ElRazur:

I wonder what the defenders of Africa have to say on this one. I have a feeling the West is gonna get blamed one way or the other.

To me, this is just stating the obvious. We still have a very long way to go. I suppose some of the solution we may look at are: Making our borders less porous, A government that have proper accountability, Go back to the drawing board etc. If not, these things would persist for a long time.
wait a minute they willb here soon like bees to say how bad the west is.
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by RichyBlacK(m): 3:49pm On Jul 09, 2009
ElRazur:

The West has some blame.

The divide and rule strategy was used throughout the colonial period (80 years for Nigeria) to entrench division. This division is at the bane of Nigeria's problems.
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by ElRazur: 3:55pm On Jul 09, 2009
RichyBlacK:

The West has some blame.

The divide and rule strategy was used throughout the colonial period (80 years for Nigeria) to entrench division. This division is at the bane of Nigeria's problems.

grin

At what stage do we move on and start to actually look at ourselves? I have heard that excuse for like years now. . . Do you not think it is becoming a broken record?
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by MrCrackles(m): 3:57pm On Jul 09, 2009
I am not surprised! embarassed
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by Ikomi(m): 7:20pm On Jul 09, 2009
RichyBlacK:

The West has some blame.

ElRazur:

grin

At what stage do we move on and start to actually look at ourselves? I have heard that excuse for like years now. . . Do you not think it is becoming a broken record?

It might be a broken record, but that does not say its not a true song. The west still plays the same tactics till tomorrow.

Although honestly am tired of singing that same old song. Its getting boring. undecided
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by ElRazur: 7:26pm On Jul 09, 2009
Ikomi:

It might be a broken record, but that does not say its not a true song. The west still plays the same tactics till tomorrow.

Although honestly am tired of singing that same old song. Its getting boring. undecided

Strangely enough, other nations have been colonized and they have fared better than Nigeria. Why is that? The more we blame the west, the more we would be moving away from actually dealing with the issues at hand.
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by Tudor6(f): 7:31pm On Jul 09, 2009
Everything is the west!
Is it the west that's breaking pipelines and bunkering oil? Are they the peeps importing old computers and electronic waste?
The truth is that nigerians go to these people and ask for this waste in order to make a quick buck, they bunker oil and invite the foreigners to party.
If no nigerian decides to purchase the waste would it end up here in the first place?
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by Ikomi(m): 11:49pm On Jul 09, 2009
Tudór:

Everything is the west!
Is it the west that's breaking pipelines and bunkering oil? Are they the peeps importing old computers and electronic waste?
The truth is that nigerians go to these people and ask for this waste in order to make a quick buck, they bunker oil and invite the foreigners to party.
If no nigerian decides to purchase the waste would it end up here in the first place?

You make it sound so easy.

Guess you've forgotten the adage "Cut your coat according to your size".

If rubbish is what you can afford, rubbish is definately what you would be in search of.

How many of us Nigerians can afford Plasma.  cheesy Sorry 46"inch. cheesy
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by Tudor6(f): 9:38am On Jul 10, 2009
Ikomi:

You make it sound so easy.

Guess you've forgotten the adage "Cut your coat according to your size".

If rubbish is what you can afford, rubbish is definately what you would be in search of.

How many of us Nigerians can afford Plasma.  cheesy Sorry 46"inch.  cheesy
Then they should take responsibility if the waste becomes hazardous instead of blaming the west.
Is it the west that'll eradicate poverty for you?
Re: Crime Lords Running West Africa by pappyn: 4:05pm On Jul 11, 2009
those who believe America as a democratic nation watch this please http://www.documentarywire.com/obama-and-the-global-elite

(1) (Reply)

Immigrant Networks Are A Rare Bright Spark In The World Economy. / Iran And The West Reach Historic Nuclear Deal In Geneva / First US President To Visit The Mosque (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.