Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery (13308 Views)

Paul Enenche 50th Birthday Celebration: More Photos Of Osinbajo, Oyedepo, Anyim / Oritsejafor At Celebration Of Life Of Falegan In Ekiti (Pics) / The Barbaric Execution Of Ananias And Sapphira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by johnydon22(m): 4:30pm On Feb 18, 2016
[b]Abraham, Ibrahim call him whatever in what ever language but is an important figure both in the alleged antiquity of the Jewish race and the core foundations of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

The respect and reverence this figure reaps in these religions is a very curious one because i find it mind blowing that such characters depicted in the light of human savagery can be revered and seen as an outstanding figure by billions.

It is no doubt that the climax of the events surrounding this character was his strong convictions in his beliefs and willingness to do anything to prove it which reached an earth quaking peak in his resolve to murder his son.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam applaud this behaviour of simply human wickedness, A man who claims to be of sound wits and volition attempts murder of his own son to prove point of strong conviction.

Is such a character worthy of being applauded?

Is the foundations of these world class religions based on this figure really justified or are we just seeing a celebration of human savagery?

-What is so brave in agreeing to kill your son?

-what is so right in attempting to murder your son because something or anything told you?

-what is so wonderful in the character of a man who sends his wife and son away to waste away in a desertic land?

That religions and even holiday celebrations (As in the case of Islam) are centered in this figure that depicts barbarism in every sense is still elusive to me to comprehend

What is the celebration here?

savagery, barbarism or sheer imbecility of such mindless convictions as exhibited by the character in the story ?

It may interest you to know that this same thing is still happening in the world today
Deanna Laney who killed two of her sons by smashing their head on rocks because God allegedly charged her to do it to save them from hell, her last child survived..
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/03/29/children.slain/index.html?iref=newssearch

and

Another case of a woman Dorathy Tejada killing her child because God told her to
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325725/Nantucket-mother-Dora-Tejada-murdered-daughter-God-told-NOT-guilty.html

There are thousands of such cases scattered all over the internet ..Now this is the difference..

Call them what ever: Sickos, Psychopaths, simpletons, sadistic idiots, mad people one fact remains so Abraham was not any different, the only difference is that there are actually humans in this planet who respect and revere abraham for exhibiting such stupendous madness.

The above instances were arrested, their children taken from them and they are put in a mental home for mental evaluation after which they serve prison terms for such grave crimes or attempt to it.

We do not revered them or call them mother or father of faith, No we call them mad persons.

We don't go about creating religions around them, we rather question their sanity..

But Abraham is being revered and applauded in this society that frowns at such actions.. His sanity deserves to be questioned, he should be a father in prison and not of faith if he pulled out such stunts in this present society.

So why are modern day humans who would never approve of such actions revere a character whose only achievement was trying to murder his son as act of strong show of conviction and some will even go as far as defending or trying to rationalize such savagery.

This is just a hypocritic respect of primitive savagery because there is nothing to celebrate in attempted murder because a voice in your head told you to.

I'd like to finish this with a question: If supposing a God demands you prove your loyalty by killing your son or anybody for him, would you attempt it or refuse outrightly?

Because personally i would say "No and a big No to such charge"

I'd like you to judge your own answer to the question above to the revered figure in the foundation of Abrahamism...

Because personally i see nothing worthy of celebration or respect in a figure who had the stomach to attempt murdering his son just to prove a point.

Is this an action worthy of respect and reverence or is this an uncalled celebration of primitive savagery.. I'd let you be the judge of that..
[/b]

15 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 4:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
But the son in question was a direct product of his faith in the promise given by GOD after decades of barreness and at a stage when there was no hope of childbearing .

And the action you are condemning was based on that same faith:
Hebrews 11:17-19
By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

19 accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

So before we judge the act, let's consider the antecedents. As for the recent cases, I cant speak for them since we dont have the details! Thankfully, the focus of the thread is Abraham and that's why i am here!

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by donnffd(m): 4:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
Religion is a Delusion, a Delusion that has eaten into the mind of the theist, If Abraham was alive today, he would be locked up in a mental institution, but no, he is praised for his faith in a God who commands him to kill his only son, but curses cain for killing his brother and commanding the israelites to not kill, Well what do you expect from a God who kills his own son to save his own creation,from hell that he created...Delusion of the highest order

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by hahn(m): 4:44pm On Feb 18, 2016
FTC is I grin

People celebrating mad people since the days of Abraham undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by hahn(m): 4:46pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:
But the son in question was a direct product of his faith in the promise given by GOD after decades of barreness and at a stage when there was no hope of childbearing .

And the action you are condemning was based on that same faith:
Hebrews 11:17-19
By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

19 accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

So before we judge the act, let's consider the antecedents. As for the recent cases, I cant speak for them since we dont have the details! Thankfully, the focus of the thread is Abraham and that's why i am here!

I'm just curious but did Abraham sleep with Sarah before she conceived? I mean did he release sperm inside of her?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 4:50pm On Feb 18, 2016
hahn:

I'm just curious but did Abraham sleep with Sarah before she conceived?
Sure else why did Sarah say this:
Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
Genesis 18:12

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 4:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
donnffd:
Religion is a Delusion, a Delusion that has eaten into the mind of the theist, If Abraham was alive today, he would be locked up in a mental institution, but no, he is praised for his faith in a God who commands him to kill his only son, but curses cain for killing his brother and commanding the israelites to not kill, Well what do you expect from a God who kills his own son to save his own creation,from hell that he created...Delusion of the highest order
But would he have been locked up today in a mental institution for believing GOD's promise of a son when he and his wife where decades past childbearing, and yet they had a son?
Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Nobody: 5:00pm On Feb 18, 2016
johnydon22:
Hello My Brother. What you wrote is just a marvel, a classic piece of morality and love.

The suggestion to kill the life of any innocent fellow human being, even if he is not your child, can't be consistent with Justice, nor with love, both characteristics ascribed to God.

I personally know there is God. But it is in my perception a billions times better to be atheistic than to suggest that any loving and righteous God demanded someone to kill his son/daughter. Such a suggestion ridicule any concept of justice and would prove any such God to be either imperfect and or unrighteous, and in both cases, unworthy to be worshiped nor to be obeyed. cry

If a god ask people to kill, what would a devil do? shocked shocked

Anything that is not consistent with Justice and Love can not and should not in my perception be ascribed to any deity. God never asked anyone to kill, steal or destroy.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by hahn(m): 5:04pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:

Sure else why did Sarah say this:
Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?
Genesis 18:12

Cool. In basic biology, all you need is sperm and a fertile egg to reproduce. If reproduction is that simple, what makes this particular case so unique when people all over the world at the conceived without "faith" in Jehovah?

If god is responsible for Sarah getting pregnant, who was responsible for Aisha, Mohammed's wife conceiving?

Why should an act of attempted murder be celebrated?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by johnydon22(m): 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:
But would he have been locked up today in a mental institution for believing GOD's promise of a son when he and his wife where decades past childbearing, and yet they had a son?
Please sir old age Child bearing is not biologically impossible but rather a rare phenomenon.

it happens and is still happening .. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_over_age_50

The world’s oldest mother was previously believed to be Malegwale Ramokgopa, a woman born in South Africa in 1839 who allegedly gave birth to twins three days after celebrating her 92nd anniversary on October 3, 1931, which made nation-wide headlines at the time.

until a 101 years old woman broke the record here by ovarian transplant http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/101-year-old-woman-gives-birth-after-successful-ovary-transplant/

Abraham is not the first to regard his child as a gift from God every religious person does even the 101 woman above.

Please tell me is this conviction that your child is a gift from God the justification to kill him/her to prove that conviction?

Wow just wow

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 5:07pm On Feb 18, 2016
hahn:

Cool. In basic biology, all you need is sperm and a fertile egg to reproduce. If reproduction is that simple, what makes this particular case so unique when people all over the world at the conceived without "faith" in Jehovah?

If god is responsible for Sarah getting pregnant, who was responsible for Aisha, Mohammed's wife conceiving?

Why should an act of attempted murder be celebrated?

What made this unique is that:
... he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara’s womb:
Romans 4:19
Sarah was not a kid, she was also a ripe old woman!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by hahn(m): 5:11pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:
What made this unique is that:
... he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara’s womb:
Romans 4:19
Sarah was not a kid, she was also a ripe old woman!

Sarah was a ripe woman. Adam, even though old, was still capable of impregnating his wife. What role did Jehovah play in this scenario that is so special he just had to order a "hit" on Isaac just to prove a point?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by johnydon22(m): 5:12pm On Feb 18, 2016
LoJ:

Hello My Brother. What you wrote is just a marvel, a classic piece of morality and love.

The suggestion to kill the life of any innocent fellow human being, even if he is not your child, can't be consistent with Justice, nor with love, both characteristics ascribed to God.

I personally know there is God. But it is in my perception a billions times better to be atheistic than to suggest that any loving and righteous God demanded someone to kill his son/daughter. Such a suggestion ridicule any concept of justice and would prove any such God to be either imperfect and or unrighteous, and in both cases, unworthy to be worshiped nor to be obeyed. cry

If a god ask people to kill, what would a devil do? shocked shocked

Anything that is not consistent with Justice and Love can not and should not in my perception be ascribed to any deity. God never asked anyone to kill, steal or destroy.
You see i would have been better impressed if the case turned out like so.

God: Abraham kill your son to prove your loyalty to me

Abraham: Oh God even though i think you gave me this boy, i still cannot and will not raise my hand to kill a child, not to talk of my own child sir.. Am sorry but i can't do it.

God: Oh Abraham you have just proved to me you are one who does the right thing no matter what. i am impressed by your steadfastness in what is right.

This would have been a more impressive scenario

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2016
johnydon22:

Please sir old age Child bearing is not biologically impossible but rather a rare phenomenon.

it happens and is still happening .. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_over_age_50

The world’s oldest mother was previously believed to be Malegwale Ramokgopa, a woman born in South Africa in 1839 who allegedly gave birth to twins three days after celebrating her 92nd anniversary on October 3, 1931, which made nation-wide headlines at the time.

until a 101 years old woman broke the record here by ovarian transplant http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/101-year-old-woman-gives-birth-after-successful-ovary-transplant/

Abraham is not the first to regard his child as a gift from God every religious person does even the 101 woman above.

Please tell me is this conviction that your child is a gift from God the justification to kill him/her to prove that conviction?

Wow just wow
The emphasis here is that the man in question had already resigned to fate and was not anticipating the coming of a son through Sarah. What makes this a miracle is that 1. GOD promised it and Abraham believed that promise; 2. Apart from that, Sarah was not only very old but as barren as a brick! . (that's why at 75, Abraham had Ishmael through Hagar).

Like I said, there was demonstrable basis for Abraham's faith in God. Considering his reaction when he had to dismiss Ishmael, you can tell that he was a real father who loved his kids. However, the second passage I quoted showed that Abraham knew even if he killed Isaac, it would not be the end; a rather foolhardy effort not different from expecting a child from a barren,dead womb!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 5:18pm On Feb 18, 2016
hahn:

Sarah was a ripe woman. Adam, even though old, was still capable of impregnating his wife. What role did Jehovah play in this scenario that is so special he just had to order a "hit" on Isaac just to prove a point?

Scholar8200:
The emphasis here is that the man in question had already resigned to fate and was not anticipating the coming of a son through Sarah. What makes this a miracle is that 1. GOD promised it and Abraham believed that promise; 2. Apart from that, Sarah was not only very old but as barren as a brick! . (that's why at 75, Abraham had Ishmael through Hagar).
Like I said, there was demonstrable basis for Abraham's faith in God. Considering his reaction when he had to dismiss Ishmael, you can tell that he was a real father who loved his kids. However, the second passage I quoted showed that Abraham knew even if he killed Isaac, it would not be the end; a rather foolhardy effort not different from expecting a child from a barren,dead womb!

1 Like

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by johnydon22(m): 5:22pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:

Hahahahaha Sarah is not the only woman who failed at producing an offspring and do so later..

Please dismissing Ishmael is not and can never be an act of a father who loved his kids, in fact a glaring unjust action dismissing a young child who did you no wrong.

So please i repeat again "Is the conviction that your child was a gift from God a justifiable reason to murder him/her in respect to that conviction?

and you would do same i suppose? "

It is really outstanding the type of wicked evil barbarism adherents of religions who claim high moral sky scrapper would celebrate and defend..

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by CoolUsername: 5:27pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200, you're defending this story, right? So, let me ask you point-blank, if God asked you to kill a loved one, would you do it?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 5:36pm On Feb 18, 2016
CoolUsername:
Scholar8200, you're defending this story, right? So, let me ask you point-blank, if God asked you to kill a loved one, would you do it?
Like I said we have the antecedents of Abraham hence any likeness should start therefrom. And in this case, what point / or for what reason will God make such a command? Apart from Abraham, is there ANY ONE thus tested in the Bible?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by johnydon22(m): 5:39pm On Feb 18, 2016
CoolUsername:
there is no more need for me or anybody else to engage him any further.

He is ok with such stunts and probably would do same if in the same situation... I'd add no more

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by onetrack(m): 5:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
As usual, the late great Christopher Hitchens nails it. Here he is talking about what he would have done if he were in Abraham's place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVoloVvsupM

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 5:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
johnydon22:
[b]Hahahahaha Sarah is not the only woman who failed at producing an offspring and do so later..
Not for a Barren Woman who by reason of old age had a dead womb, had passed the age of child bearing and had stopped all copulative activities since there was no more pleasure therefrom! You talk of ovarian transplant! Why? That one wanted a kid and expected one. It is rather anachronistic to compare Sarah to a woman who underwent a transplant!

So please i repeat again "Is the conviction that your child was a gift from God a justifiable reason to murder him/her in respect to that conviction?
However, the second passage I quoted showed that Abraham knew even if he killed Isaac, it would not be the end; a rather foolhardy effort not different from expecting a child from a barren,dead womb!

and you would do same i suppose? "
Like I said we have the antecedents of Abraham hence any likeness should start therefrom. And in this case, what point / or for what reason will God make such a command?

It is really outstanding the type of wicked evil barbarism adherents of religions who claim high moral sky scrapper would celebrate and defend..
[/b]
Your claim of barbarism will be understood if the real believers such as those in the early church and their likes today murdered loved ones at will under the guise of it being a command and a step in faith!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by johnydon22(m): 5:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
onetrack:
As usual, the late great Christopher Hitchens nails it. Here he is talking about what he would have done if he were in Abraham's place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVoloVvsupM
"No fu_ck you" hahaha epic answer which will be exactly what any sane human would say.

Egbon yahweh If you want the boy, come and take him make i see grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by herald9: 6:00pm On Feb 18, 2016
In a generation where humans lived up to 1000 years but still experienced menopause at 45-55 years...

What a waste!

Another pointer to how fake the Bible is, it's stories and the characters therein...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by CoolUsername: 6:13pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:
Like I said we have the antecedents of Abraham hence any likeness should start therefrom. And in this case, what point / or for what reason will God make such a command? Apart from Abraham, is there ANY ONE thus tested in the Bible?

You're dancing around like ballerina in a minefield.

If God asks you to kill a loved one, what would you do?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by CoolUsername: 6:16pm On Feb 18, 2016
johnydon22:
there is no more need for me or anybody else to engage him any further.

He is ok with such stunts and probably would do same if in the same situation... I'd add no more

It's fun to watch them dance around the difficult questions like a toddler who's holding pee.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by Scholar8200(m): 6:33pm On Feb 18, 2016
herald9:
In a generation where humans lived up to 1000 years but still experienced menopause at 45-55 years...

What a waste!

Another pointer to how fake the Bible is, it's stories and the characters therein...
The generation you are referring to where those before the flood! After the flood, it was shorter! For example, Nahor, Abraham's grandpa died at 119, Terah Abraham's dad lived to 205. Nahor had a son at 29 years of age, Terah at 70 etc Quite different from what obtained before the flood.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by johnydon22(m): 7:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
CoolUsername:

It's fun to watch them dance around the difficult questions like a toddler who's holding pee.
Hahahahahahaha it was very obvious

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by ChromosomeZ(m): 7:11pm On Feb 18, 2016
I think It's crazy seeing someone try to justify this obvious barbaric act.

The truth of the matter is that Abraham was a psychopath as evidences of this abound in the bible. Apart from the fact that he tried to kill his son after hearing voices in his head, he also got his innocent 'housegirl' pregnant after raping her with active connivance of his wife.

And what is more, He chased the poor girl into the wilderness, again after conniving with his old hag of a wife.

And just to show how sick this family is, his nephew, lot, got his two daughters pregnant. This was after he had offered them to be gang raped. What more can I say - you are dealing with a family of sickos.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by hahn(m): 7:15pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:

So, god supporting attempted murder is okay, right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by malvisguy212: 7:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
Scholar8200:

Good job bro, I did not see this thread, you have really answer this heathen. Sarah was old and barren yet this heathen say it was not a miracle.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:50pm On Feb 18, 2016
Evidently , the significance of the story eluded these bunch . I learnt a lot from that story as a Christian .

But how this story preclude the existence of God .

Like I always ask these atheists how does your perception of God's behaviour preclude His existence ? Johydon22 and CoolUsername ... can you tell me ? Is there religious affiliation that has a problem with God's behaviour maybe you should become part of that .

And CoolUsername the great proponent of evolution took to his heels when he could not answer 10 questions that refuted the science myth . You really had the guts to type trash . Mr . man get your booty over that thread let's finish it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abrahamism Or Celebration Of Barbaric Savagery by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
malvisguy212:
Good job bro, I did not see this thread, you have really answer this heathen. Sarah was old and barren yet this heathen say it was not a miracle.

She even laughed when she heard that she would have a baby . And can they explain why miracles tend to happen when the problem is spiritually addressed ?

Off all time the miracle took place it was after God visited her ? grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can You Receive The Holy Spirit Without Speaking In Tongues? / Driver Preaching On The Steering / Why Are Most Gospel Artistes Not Used As Brand Ambassadors?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.