Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know (48174 Views)

N800 For Stamp Duty Charge? Diamond Bank Sent This Message To Me / NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty / CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by OlujobaSamuel: 1:18pm On Feb 22, 2016
Koolking:

Current and Saving on third party transfer/deposits are dutiable (except self transactions). I guess, banks have not done enough to sensitize their customer care representatives. Ask some of them the true position, their answers will confuse them more than you as a customer.
thanks. I will still pursue my complaint with CBN, I hope they will clarify it better, if savings account is truly included, then they should remove that withdrawal/transfer from savings account clause, that statement is causing commotion.
I don't even mind paying the money if it's legal, but to be charged for salary when it's exempted or charged for any other receipts is kinda giving the banks the money, because they might even steal it in connivance with one crook government officer, and person no go know anything.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
poseidon12:

Does government feed any one in Nigeria?

Considering the fact that they pay a lot of salaries for so many people.....and their dependents....yes.

Unless you think that the civil servant working at the Ministry of Transport gets his money from Dangote. Or from Oyedepo.

Then there are things like contracts, etc......

1 Like

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by poseidon12: 1:20pm On Feb 22, 2016
omoharry:
They charge for self transfer ooo...i was charged N50 for transfering money from my savings account to my current account gtbank to gtbank.

You should go challenge the bank on that. Let them know they cannot do that. They should refund it.

1 Like

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 1:20pm On Feb 22, 2016
Ofcourse, the stamp duty charge does not affect payment of other taxes.

macphilip:
Is there still any need to pay tax after paying stamp duty
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 1:24pm On Feb 22, 2016
Lol...
HerexG:
Chai! Owu don blow our government, sote dem don turn agbero wey dey collect 50naira
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by edoziebobbyyahoocom(m): 1:25pm On Feb 22, 2016
adipemcanis1:

The issue is.....we are not earning money from oil.....so we have to look for alternate sources of funding.

Modified.....I am really amused by some of the comments calling this extortion.Well.....here are some facts.

1.When the law was being processed in the National Assembly.....you Nigerians were busy with your videos of the latest scandal to pay attention.

2.Oil is our only source of revenue.The price has fallen. Meanwhile....you people want govt to continue feeding you....without paying. How can?

which goverment dey feed person?
Basic social amenities they can not produce properly for nigerians. Good schools, roads proper water and power supply. They are busy spending billions on maintenance and wardrobe allowance, an average lawmaker in this country earns 40 times more than that of an indian lawmaker. They should start from those areas and slash those figures for revenue generation, instead VAT on power supply was massively increased and now stamp duties on current accounts. Who is feeding who?
No provoke me!!!

2 Likes

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Nobody: 1:28pm On Feb 22, 2016
edoziebobbyyahoocom:

which goverment dey feed person?
Basic social amenities they can not produce properly for nigerians. Good schools, roads proper water and power supply. They are busy spending billions on maintenance and wardrobe allowance, an average lawmaker in this country earns 40 times more than that of an indian lawmaker. They should start from those areas and slash those figures for revenue generation, instead VAT on power supply was massively increased and now stamp duties on current accounts. Who is feeding who?
No provoke me!!!

Of course they should....but then again....we are not a rich nation....which is why overspending and corruption is bad.

To sum up.....no one gets rich from relying on one stream of revenue.

If I was in Aso Rock....na power and rail and education I go focus on. Everyone else can go look for money on their own.

By the way.....who is the biggest employer in Nigeria,who pays their salaries,and who pays pensions and contractors?

1 Like

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Rockstar07: 1:30pm On Feb 22, 2016
I don't know if this is an automatic deduction from the banks core application or there's a maker checker that's being checked by the teller posting the transaction cos I observed I was charged the N50 on my saving acct when I made a lodgement by myself.

In light of the above complaint, I think this deduction contradict with what the op stated above. As I was charged for deposit made by self into a saving acct. I'll inquire from them when next I visit the bank.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by KingIOb: 1:30pm On Feb 22, 2016
I don't have problem with govt trying to shore up revenue generation from non oil means.
The issue I have with this stamp duty N50 collection is: What value(s) does it offer to those whose accounts are charged?
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by viktor01(m): 1:33pm On Feb 22, 2016
When oil was selling at a high price, why were their no policies to credit every bank transaction with #50?

Legit stealing..
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
My banks charged me stamp duty on my savings account,

Stanbic and Gtbank
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 1:45pm On Feb 22, 2016
NO..you're wrong! I copied the article from my blog to this place just to educate people like YOU. grin grin
richard870:
You wrote all these poo just to promote your blog...shameless LINDA-IKEJI-WANNABE angry
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by LEXYCOM: 1:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
Any customer paying into my bank account should kindly add the stamp duty charge to the money deposited..........I can't bear the cost, my customer had to bear it becos I love them.....
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 1:52pm On Feb 22, 2016
It is wrong! Write your bank to inform them of the anomaly. If they fail to revert the charge(s) after one week...report them to CBN.

NB: There has been cases of people whose Savings account was charged just like yours but reverted back within a week.

gboss4sure:
My banks charged me stamp duty on my savings account,

Stanbic and Gtbank
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by carboblanko(m): 1:58pm On Feb 22, 2016
adipemcanis1:

That is what I expect....which is why APC is putting itself in the hot seat by charging taxes.

Spot on. And we must demand that the taxes so collected are put into use for the benefit of most Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 2:04pm On Feb 22, 2016
Very sure! I went to the extent of downloading the communique as released from CBN website to have a better understanding of this.

The truth is, most bankers (bank officials) don't even have a proper knowledge of this issue.

You can imagine, my account officer even told me Savings account is inclusive.
customised87:

Are you sure about that?
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 2:08pm On Feb 22, 2016
It is wrong! Write your bank to inform them of the anomaly. If they fail to revert the charge(s) after one week...report them to CBN.

NB: There has been cases of people whose Savings account was charged just like yours but reverted back within a week.

millhouse:
My salary account was charged 50 naira when salaries were paid.... My savings account was charged 50 naira when I paid money into it.. So who do I report all dis illegal charges to? .
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Nobody: 2:12pm On Feb 22, 2016
adipemcanis1:

Well...

Govt subsides health care, education, fuel, and builds roads, railways and a host of other things.And they are the largest employer in Nigeria.

Of course...they do it inefficently....but still....Nigerians rely on govt for a host of things.
Forget that thing wey u dey talk oo!
When last did you go to any govt health centre for treatment? Were you not charged for it?
The schools you talk of, in your state, did you receive free education from primary to tertiary?
D one wey pain me pas be d roads and rails you talk about. So all these tax collectors that always badge into my shop to collect tax every year, i guess we are just dashing them the monies for them to develop their families okwia?

Maybe the government feeds you on daily basis, but for me, whatever services i enjoy from them, i paid for it.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 2:13pm On Feb 22, 2016
Bros, it is wrong. But the thing is most of this bankers are misinformed..

I will attach the original statement from CBN to my original post when am on PC.
ojochidem:
STANBIC IBTC has been charging STAMP DUTY fee on my Savings Account. I went to my Branch and the Customer Care reps insisted that the charge is in order. I also saw other customers complaining.

CBN should come to our AID.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by hazvat(f): 2:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
olatpic:
As expected, many Nigerians have expressed their dissatisfaction on the announcement by CBN instructing all DMBs (Deposit Money Banks) in the country to place a N50 charge on every transaction from N1,000.

In order to avoid any further confusion, here is what you need to know about the CBN’s N50 stamp duty:

1. It is an Act that was passed into law called the Stamp Duties Act 2004 and Federal Government Financial Regulations 2009, but now being implemented in 2016.

2. The Stamp Duty charge is not being imposed by the Banks, but by the Federal government through the CBN.

3. The imposition of the Stamp Duties Act at this time is to enhance the governments revenue generation drive which has become necessary due to the fall in global oil prices.

4. All receipts, whether Cash or Electronic transfers from N1000 and above into a Current account is eligible and will be charged N50 stamp duty.

5. Only Current accounts are eligible to be charged Stamp Duty on all receipts.

6. The following receipts are exempted from the imposition of Stamp Duty:

a. Deposits or Transfers made by SELF into another account in the same bank and/or other banks.
b. Any Transfers into a Savings account.
c. Any Withdrawals from a Savings account.

7. The Stamp Duty is charged only to the receiving account i.e. the account receiving the money.

8. The N50 Stamp Duty will be charged per transaction and not per volume; that is any transactions from N1,000 and above.

9. The monies collected does not belong to the Banks, but the Federal Government. The Banks are only a channel for collecting and remitting the money to the Federal Government.

10. Under the schedule to the Stamp Duty Act 2004, other exemptions specified includes payments of salaries and wages etc.

SOURCE: http://olaitankolawole.com/10-important-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-n50-stamp-duty/
what of a salary account operated as current? my salary account is a current account domiciled with standard chartered bank , I got alert of stamp duty deduction last week .
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by vanagon: 2:21pm On Feb 22, 2016
Wait
Did you say only current account
My bank took the (#50:00),off my new saving account that I just opened somewhere in Shoprite
Still got the message on me
Is this wrong deduction
Do educate me
Thanks
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by omoharry(f): 2:24pm On Feb 22, 2016
poseidon12:

You should go challenge the bank on that. Let them know they cannot do that. They should refund it.
I have already writen to them for a refund....since they dont respond to thier call.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by onyyy: 2:38pm On Feb 22, 2016
Don't get it but dis Op is dead wrong, I was charged 850 naira for d whole of january transaction done by me by diamond bank. Am using saving acct, so I don't know where u hear d info that its only for current users only. Its both savings and current.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by unclet1985: 2:57pm On Feb 22, 2016
cool This is stealing in another form or way...... wink[color=#770077][/color]Why is it that APC led government are the one to implement this rubbish.
They are a million things to implement , so why not they implement them.....non-sense. sad
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by Nobody: 3:00pm On Feb 22, 2016
D dullard is charging us 50naira per transaction to fund his $1million per trip travel expenses.

D economy is dwindling
High cost of living and more .

Bt d dullard is doing wakawakaajala around d globe.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 3:01pm On Feb 22, 2016
Abi o..but am not bothered by his rant.

My aim is to educate Nigerians on the subject matter...and I have been able to achieve that.

wolero7:

You can't be serious. How many Linda's post addresses what affect the masses? Only celebrity news and scandals. And besides everything is well stated here. No need to go to his website if you don't wanna go.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by richard870(m): 3:05pm On Feb 22, 2016
olatpic:
NO..you're wrong! I copied the article from my blog to this place just to educate people like YOU. grin grin
You re more than funny undecided
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by olatpic(m): 3:09pm On Feb 22, 2016
grin grin I love your epic responses...

I think many people talk just before thinking..

adipemcanis1:

Considering the fact that they pay a lot of salaries for so many people.....and their dependents....yes.

Unless you think that the civil servant working at the Ministry of Transport gets his money from Dangote. Or from Oyedepo.

Then there are things like contracts, etc......
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by hrykanu231(m): 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
I was charged 50 for stamp duty by UBA on my savings account, but the article says on current account.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by CioAngels(f): 4:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
Then, UBA is a thief becos they deducted 50naira from my savings account in january. CBN please tell UBA to refund my money becos this is stealing by UBA and am very sure am i won't be the only one stolen from.
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by remigiusizunna(m): 5:24pm On Feb 22, 2016
What?? Igwe must hear dis
Re: N50 Stamp Duty: 10 Things You Need To Know by remigiusizunna(m): 5:25pm On Feb 22, 2016
Where do govt want us to pay from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Michael Asemota Returns N150 million Wrongly Paid Into His Account In Qatar / PIX. See What Thieves Did To My Laptop / Phone Shop. / 17-Year-Old Prosperity Olorunfemi Is Now A Millionaire (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.