Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,504 members, 7,816,197 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? (3926 Views)

Nigerian Mothers....Always Over Protective! / Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? / Should There Be Secrecy In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by cvibe: 7:15am On Jul 11, 2009
@ Benedicta,

What if the prostitute comes across one of her past customers who just so happens to be her husband's friend?

Secrecy in marriage is destructive. I'd rather you tell me upfront so i know what i've got to deal with, than having to find out myself.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by sexyLeamon(f): 7:59am On Jul 11, 2009
I think secrecy is destructive in marriage -- it is a lack of trust and respect. This is something the other partner is unaware of, which is not a good thing.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by sweetpie23: 12:13pm On Jul 11, 2009
not everything is to be share, not even with your partner.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by dfanthom(m): 3:12pm On Jul 11, 2009
i believe there should be no secrets between couples/ partners however there are some issues that should be considered on a case by case basis for the relationship to survive. it's not particularly pleasant to disclose some information because it'd trigger a chain reaction that might consume ALL parties involved. lipsrsealed
i know what i mean here, to preserve the inherent peace. the other poster Loyeruope has said it all.
wish you all the best in discerning what to divulge or hold back. cool
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by kok(m): 5:43pm On Jul 11, 2009
Secret is secret! There better be none, because no matter how perfect you think you are in keeping secret, it always have its way of showing up when you least expect it.

So, It is better to share your past with your partner to avoid any kinda scandal!
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by kok(m): 5:50pm On Jul 11, 2009
spoilt:

I've told my husband everything. Just edited versions! grin

Good idea, it just has to be shared so it would be noted, edited or raw!
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by WackyJ1(m): 8:33am On Jul 12, 2009
Its better to disclose all secrets before the marriage cause it can help to know if your partner really loves you not just for what he/she thinks you are. Also the proverb which says if a banana is eaten at the bottom of the sea, its peel will surely float to the surface applies here. Sooner or later the truth will come out one way or the other and your spouse may not like hearing it from another mouth.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by WackyJ1(m): 8:34am On Jul 12, 2009
Its better to disclose all secrets before the marriage cause it can help to know if your partner really loves you not just for what he/she thinks you are. Also the proverb which says if a banana is eaten at the bottom of the sea, its peel will surely float to the surface applies here. Sooner or later the truth will come out one way or the other and your spouse may not like hearing it from another mouth.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by ikeyman00(m): 11:17am On Jul 12, 2009
@@@@@@

i think one have the right or might want to preserve ur own family matters where necessarily

i think

u might not want to tell ur wife about the feud goin on in ur family

u might not want to tell her about the whole family asset etc etc
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Nezan(m): 9:39am On Jul 13, 2009
WackyJ1:

Good comment
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by anuu01(m): 9:54am On Jul 13, 2009
All sorts of replies on this thread,

i think the question is, If you are in a relationship or you are married, what will you do, if you find out that your partner has kept a certain story or information away from you for a long time, ? what will you do?

As for me, i believe, no matter what the story is, its best to let your partner know, the earlier the better, some stories might hurt at first, but one will appreciate the fact that i was told,

i believe everything must be said at one point in time, nothing stays hidden,
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by GEW: 10:10am On Jul 13, 2009
anuu01:

All sorts of replies on this thread,

i think the question is, If you are in a relationship or you are married, what will you do, if you find out that your partner has kept a certain story or information away from you for a long time, ? what will you do?

As for me, i believe, no matter what the story is, its best to let your partner know, the earlier the better, some stories might hurt at first, but one will appreciate the fact that i was told,

i believe everything must be said at one point in time, nothing stays hidden,
thanks to face book and the likes you cant hide most things too long now. it is just a matter of someone tagging something here and there and stories begin to unfold.

honesty and truthfulness is always the best policy.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by 3Line(m): 12:30pm On Jul 13, 2009
@ Post,

No matter how fast lie can run, truth will catch up with it one day.

The antidote is to spill out every thing right from the out set, the good, the bad and the ugly.

This saves both party a whole lot of stress and heart aches.

Cheers.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Fhemmmy: 6:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
3Line:

@ Post,

No matter how fast lie can run, truth will catch up with it one day.

The antidote is to spill out every thing right from the out set, the good, the bad and the ugly.

This saves both party a whole lot of stress and heart aches.

Cheers.

There is a difference btw lies and withholding info
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by wanitas(f): 9:04am On Jul 14, 2009
Disclosure is always the best policy, believe me, it saves u a lot of trouble (and lies) later,
it also builds  trust, therefore, y marry someone you cant trust with ur secrets (or past).

it also tells if he/she is someone who would love u regardless,
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by GEW: 11:52am On Jul 14, 2009
Fhemmmy:

There is a difference btw lies and withholding info
lie. dem be first cousins and school mate. dem dey waka together.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Fhemmmy: 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2009
I think we making big of nothng.
Why would you wanna tell your wife that BTW, when i was 22 i used to suck Jenny's kitten, and one day you now walk into Jenny and tell your wife, honey, this is Jenny, and when you get home, your wife start acting up, cos she has finally met the woman u used to eat her kitten like chicken?
Common, u need to be wife with some information.
If it is something that will not affect your relationship, yes, but something that might send you to the dog house, keep your mouth zipped
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Iranoladun(f): 4:20pm On Jul 14, 2009
My answer is:

Why marry someone whom you cannot trust with your good, bad, and ugly past? Why marry someone whose love is not unconditional but conditional?

If two people love each other enough to get marry I believe you should have a no hold bars kind of revealation about your past.

Truth is always a sacrosanct; it will surely come out one day. Whether you withheld information or you lied outrightly; your secret will find you out one day and when it does, it will shatttered your trust base with your partner and your marriage will be destroy.

It is easier to sympathise/empathise/forgive and try to understand what you did or didn't do in the past than for me to discover one day that you have secrets that you have kept away from me.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by danielobed(m): 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2009
It is very very destructive. But some time is not because of the type of partner that you have.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by sley4life(m): 12:10am On Jul 15, 2009
yep
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by sng1127: 12:16am On Jul 15, 2009
I was with my bf for about 4 months before he told me he was 3 yrs older than the age he had told me originally. I WAS PISSED! because i felt that I had already fell in love with him as a 28 yr old, not a 31 yr old. That was awful and it made me not trust him for a while, In fact, I still doubt him sometimes and it has been 2 yrs now. Sometimes I go through his papers just to make sure everything is in tact. , so that right there should tell you all that not being upofront with your partner AS SOON AS POSSIBLE can become very very destructive.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by darksoul: 2:20am On Jul 15, 2009
on the contrary once its let out one can retain thereselves
but if the burden is un-bearable why carry it
one should always look at the outlook of what the outcome happens
which over longrun is tradgedy henceforth do what is best is the best motto to follow cry grin angry wink
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Kikeade(f): 2:31pm On Jul 15, 2009
From the Bible (God's) perspective

"A fool says everything"
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Fhemmmy: 3:08pm On Jul 15, 2009
sng1127:

I was with my bf for about 4 months before he told me he was 3 yrs older than the age he had told me originally. I WAS PISSED! because i felt that I had already fell in love with him as a 28 yr old, not a 31 yr old. That was awful and it made me not trust him for a while, In fact, I still doubt him sometimes and it has been 2 yrs now. Sometimes I go through his papers just to make sure everything is in tact. , so that right there should tell you all that not being upofront with your partner AS SOON AS POSSIBLE can become very very destructive.

That is different, but detail about one's past is none of the presence's biz
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by SeanT21(f): 8:28pm On Jul 15, 2009
Kikeade:

"A fool says everything"

shocked In certain situations that differ from this.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Fhemmmy: 8:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
Kikeade:

"A fool says everything"

This is called using the bible for our excuses.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by edgefix: 3:13pm On Jul 16, 2009
well to be quite honest with you if the secret is going to affect the the relationship there is need to disclose it becos at the end of the day it will still leak except known by just one person and you know that is not too possilbe.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by samshoz(m): 3:28pm On Jul 16, 2009
[color=#770077][/color] You guyz have said it all, dont keep secrets dat wil crash ur marriage and trasparent, it will make ur relationship lasts longer.
If u are told or discover anything about ur spouse, it wont move u, because of d initial awareness of her(& his) past.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Fhemmmy: 3:30pm On Jul 16, 2009
ummmmmm
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by Nezan(m): 3:42pm On Jul 21, 2009
destructive
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by spicy007(f): 5:02pm On Jul 22, 2009
yes it is
some are too gruesome and heartbreaking for u to say everything as it is
but at least say most of the basic stuff but leave out the gory details
e.g. you were a cultist and killed while in uni
simply say u were in the fraternity and were actively involved in the hooliganism, lives were lost during such fracas but at least u thank God all in all, u r still alive, then leave the rest to her imagination.
u dont have to say, "i was a cultist and i killed about 7 guys while in school, so i have blood on my hands" if u catch my drift.
thats why we have the power of speech and thought.
it all depends on the way you laya it on the table.
Re: Is Secrecy In Marriage Protective Or Destructive? by mamagee3(f): 5:20pm On Jul 22, 2009
It is destructive. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Boys More Attracted To Their Mother And Girls Their Father? / Is He Too Young For Disciplinary Measures? / Do You Think This Set Of Twins Are Lovely In This Hairstyle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.