Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,232 members, 7,811,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria (11667 Views)

Why Did Marriages In The Olden Days Last Longer Than Present Marriages / Guys! Meet That 10 Types Of Nigerian Wife You Will Ever Meet / 10 Types Of Male Virgins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 4:53pm On Feb 19, 2016
10 Types of Marriages In Nigeria.

Marriage is the process by which two people make their relationship public, official, and permanent. It is the joining of both the man and woman, or the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman as partners in a relationship. Marriage, is also called matrimony or wedlock, in a socially or ritually recognized union, or legal contract between spouses, Marriage is both a natural institution and a sacred union because it is rooted in the divine plan of creation, from this consent and from the sexual consummation of marriage a special bond arises between husband and wife.

In order not to waste your time, below is ten type of marriages practised in Nigeria.

1. Introductions.

Internationally, this is not seen nor accepted as a type of marriage or wedding but as a platform to kick-start the wedding by introducing the intending in-laws to themselves, but in Nigeria some locals prepare for introduction alone and the couples are accepted as married.

2. Engagements.
This, in Nigeria, is mostly the after party of all types of wedding but with the recent economy crisis, some couples just have their engagements party, wear their traditional attires and thats all, but some hope to have their white wedding in future if possible.

3. Court Marriage.
This type of marriage/wedding as now become the norm in the country, its cheap, its legal and its fast, just get some few family members together with your most trusted friends and you are good to go,, a simple suit for the men and the ladies could wear whatever they so wish, but most still rocks the wedding gown, though.

4. Traditional Marriage.

A bit different form the engagment party, couples are expected to not only wear their traditional attires but to also perform the full rites of traditions and customs of their respective states, region or as their ethnicity demands.

5. White Wedding.
Now here is the most popular, most demanded and most expected of all marriages/ weddings, many would say; if its not a white wedding, then its not a wedding and you are not considered married,, a lady would kill to have an elaborate one, anyday anytime,,, its an adapted form of wedding/marriage form the western world which is highly supported by the Catholic church, and all other churches as also accepted it to be the true wedding, it requires the lady to wear a white bridal gown and the man a black suit.

6. Church wedding.
Church wedding is a slightly different form of white wedding, couples choose it when they are not interested in having a white wedding, the only difference is the attire required, on like the white wedding in which the bridal gown is compulsory, church wedding make do with any attire the couple or commission so which, different churches have their trade mark attires, e.g Churches like Christ embassy, Winners(LFC), TREM, e.t.c. members are expected to wear a good fashioned suit and a nice dinner gown,, RCCG, Deeper life, MFM, e.t.c do with the couple wearing a simple french suit,, CAC, e.t.c wears ankara, adire or lace, nigerian traditional attires, and spiritual churches like the C & S, C.C.C, e.t.c wears their uniformed garments.

7. Local marriage.
This is done in remote villages, just as the name implies, its local, it only requires the coming together of the two families involved with all their well wishers, the union is mostly orchestrated by a village elder, chief or even traditional priests.

8. Idol/Pegan Marriage.
This is a marriage done before an idol according to the pegan rites, mostly spirited drinks, palmwine, colanuts, bitter cola, yams, palm oil, animals like goats, dogs, e.t.c are expected to be the items to be used, it may or not require the presents of people.

9. Blood/Covenant Marriage.
This is a form of solemnization done by the couples themselves secretly or in the presents of bestfriends, its requires the blood of both the man and lady to make an oath.

10. Feel free to add yours.

cc lalasticlala
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by RoyalBlak007: 4:59pm On Feb 19, 2016
E-marriage
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Emac34: 5:03pm On Feb 19, 2016
RoyalBlak007:
E-marriage
wats E marriage
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by RoyalBlak007: 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2016
Emac34:
wats E marriage
Online marriage
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2016
RoyalBlak007:
E-marriage

kikiki Lol, nice one wink .

1 Like

Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by vicstar(m): 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2016
nothing new angry
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by KingRex1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 19, 2016
RoyalBlak007:
E-marriage
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:13pm On Feb 19, 2016
Emac34:
wats E marriage

kikiki Lol grin funny but good question,, E-marriage is when Tosyne2much and Naijaboiy both has over 50 bae each on Nairaland but hadn't met anyone of them, when lalasticlala is in a relationship with Tonto dike but she is married to ChurchHill, when Oga Seun's girlfriend is Linda ikeji but they don't like eachother in reality, when some cute guys are in a relationship with misspicy but they haven't even see her .gif/jpeg picture, yet drolling, when Aminat508 is wife material to every male monikers but none is ready to pay $5,000,000 bride price,,, should i continue ? grin

make i no chop ban o, na question i answer with illustration grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Emac34: 5:15pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

kikiki Lol grin funny but good question,, E-marriage is when Tosyne2much and Naijaboiy both has over 50 bae each on Nairaland but hadn't met anyone of them, when lalasticlala is in a relationship with Tonto dike but she is married to ChurchHill, when Oga Seun's girlfriend is Linda ikeji but they don't like eachother in reality, when some cute guys are in a relationship with misspicy but they haven't even see her .gif/jpeg picture, yet drolling,,, should i continue ? grin

make i no chop ban o, na question i answer with illustration grin
the are cumin for yougrin
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:19pm On Feb 19, 2016
Emac34:
they are cumin for you grin

in Olamide's voice: ''ema lo waa o'', i just said i should answer the question grin
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:23pm On Feb 19, 2016
vicstar:
nothing new angry

i didn't state, ''new types of marriage'' now grin
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by ghostwritter(m): 5:31pm On Feb 19, 2016
And we have the most common one nowadays, it is called the 'JUST GIVE HER BELLE' type of marriage.
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:38pm On Feb 19, 2016
Why are u calling lala undecided undecided
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Aminat508(f): 5:39pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel u re funny cheesy
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:43pm On Feb 19, 2016
ghostwritter:
And we have the most common one nowadays, it is called the 'JUST GIVE HER BELLE' type of marriage.

kikiki Lol, Baby mama thingz grin Davido and wizkid can atest to that.
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by cruzita(f): 5:43pm On Feb 19, 2016
undecided
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:46pm On Feb 19, 2016
cruzita:
undecided

just say what you want to say, i already know you don't like me
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by vicstar(m): 5:47pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

[b] sorry,my bad. I guess I was expecting something new cool
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by vicstar(m): 5:47pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

sorry,my bad. I guess I was expecting something new cool
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:48pm On Feb 19, 2016
Aminat508:
shu..muel u re funny cheesy

Really ? You know, i just jetted back from Amiloaded.com wink
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:49pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

kikiki Lol grin because i want him to be the priest to solemnize you and I wink
I just dey look u sad. Speechless, that's how you make me feel
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by cruzita(f): 5:52pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

just say what you want to say, i already know you don't like me
you already know?
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:55pm On Feb 19, 2016
vicstar:

sorry,my bad. I guess I was expecting something new cool

oh, okay, but something new, in marriage, in Nigeria ? I think that would be impossible, with the way things are going, except if we want to jokenly accept Divorce as a type of marriage sad
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Aminat508(f): 5:56pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

Really ? You know, i just jetted back from Amiloaded.com wink
lolz grin
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 5:58pm On Feb 19, 2016
Nikita1:
I just dey look u sad. Speechless, that's how you make me feel

Honestly, jokes apart, you do know making you feel speechless is a good thing, even Michael Jackson of blessed memories had to sing of such feelings,, so we await lalasticlala to bless the union, eh... wink
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

Honestly, jokes apart, you do know making you feel speechless is a good thing, even Michael Jackson of blessed memories had to sing of such feelings,, so we await lalasticlala to bless the union, eh... wink
You are drunk, you are high undecided undecided. U are even calling my husby lala to join us undecided undecided. U go tey for alagbon
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 6:04pm On Feb 19, 2016
cruzita:
you already know?

Yes, i already do, you probably have something not nice to say, anyways, i like the fact that you are mostly on my threads smiley Gracias
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 6:08pm On Feb 19, 2016
Nikita1:
You are drunk, you are high undecided undecided. U are even calling my husby lala to join us undecided undecided. U go tey for alagbon

Chai! My ban is sure, come i don't believe you, we all know its Tonto dike, but am suspecting him to port to Ebube soon, that lady had been gracing FP a lot this days, so talk true, its not lala.
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by cruzita(f): 6:08pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

Yes, i already do, you probably have something not nice to say, anyways, i like the fact that you are mostly on my threads smiley Gracias
ok
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 19, 2016
shumuel:

Chai! My ban is sure, come i don't believe you, we all know its Tonto dike, but am suspecting him to port to Ebube soon, that lady had been gracing FP a lot this days, so talk true, its not lala.
Ask him cheesy. We like privacy cheesy
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 6:12pm On Feb 19, 2016
Aminat508:
lolz grin

grin wink
Re: 10 Types Of Marriages In Nigeria by shumuel(m): 6:16pm On Feb 19, 2016
cruzita:
ok

Okay smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

purpose served , thread closed / Nairaland Most Beautiful Guy Has Decided To Contest Mr Nairaland. (pic) / GIRLS: Ta-ta Towels For Boobs Are A Thing Now(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.