Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,905 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Letting Go By Audrey Timms - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Letting Go By Audrey Timms (538757 Views)

Living In The Present - A Lesson In Letting Go / Morning Vibes With Dr. Jerry - The First - Episode 141/letting It All Go / Waiting For The Bouquet By Audrey Timms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (73) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 6:07pm On Feb 24, 2016

Nkiru sat down to her meal of eba and okro soup with fried fish. She hissed. She wasn't particularly fond of okro soup but it was her first meal of the day and the cheapest on the menu. She couldn't complain because every other thing in the school came free of charge for her. The only complain most students had was the lack of freedom. Freedom to visit male and female hostels respectively, freedom to leave the the school whenever they chose and freedom to interact with the opposite sex after 9pm. It was exhausting. 

Nkiru didn't mind one bit. Though she was fond of Nimyel, she didn't fancy him visiting her in her room. Boys were known to take liberties when alone with a girl. She didn't want stories that touch the heart. Too much was at stake in getting her degree. She was determined on graduating with a squeaky clean reputation. She heard what her fellow girls did with guys in dark places and cinemas and all what not but it was none of her business. They could afford to do that, after all, most of them would still end up with rich husbands. Marrying a rich husband wasn't her desire anyway, not after seeing her father's state at present. Things, she'd discovered, could turn around within the twinkling of an eye. Nothing lasts forever. The rich, she knew married the rich.

Hassana rushed into the cafeteria. Today, her slim frame was encased in a beautiful lavender gown trimmed with pink lace and her head covered hijab-style with an expensive-looking hot pink shawl. Her gaze moved anxiously across the sparsely-populated cafeteria. She spied her roommate at one corner and rushed to order her food from the counter. Glancing at the menu of the day pasted on the wall beside the counter, she ordered her favorite meal and stood impatiently as her food was served amidst turning around to look at her friend. She paid for the food and drinks but didn't wait to collect her change.

Nkiru's small lump of eba nearly went the wrong way when Hassana rushed to take the chair directly in front of her, gently pushing aside the guy who wanted to sit there and placed her tray of goodies on the burnt-orange circular table.

"Sorry," Hassana said to the dazed guy without meaning it and pushed the extra plate of chicken she had ordered towards her friend. She removed her plate of fried rice, fried chicken and fried plantain from the tray and held her cutlery. She pushed also a bottle of lacasera and bottled water towards Nkiru and looked pointedly at the latter's sachet of pure water.

Nkiru shrugged, knowing that her friend didn't like her drinking sachet water. She felt it was full of germs but that was what Nkiru could afford which she had told her friend a million times. 

"Out with it. I want to hear everything. Don't leave a single detail out!" Hassana declared excitedly.

Nkiru's face scrunched into a frown as she paused in her feeding. "What are you talking about?"

"Rumour has it that Giovanni looked at you twice and smiled today in class. Great going girl!" Hassana was tickled pink.

Nkiru rolled her eyes in disgust. She should have known her friend would jump on the bandwagon of gossip when it had to do with talk about Gio.

"Hian! Na wa for this school o! I think the school authorities ought to increase the number of lectures we have per day because joblessness is beginning to set in."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hassana sounded offended.

"I wasn't referring to you na. I'm just sick and tired of girls approaching me and asking me that question and I'm also tired of the envious looks I've been receiving, not to talk of the bitter talks I've overheard. Is Giovanni the only guy in this school for God's sake! The thing don tire me o!" Nkiru delivered bluntly.

"I can't believe you just said that. Gio is like..." Her face took on a dreamy expression as she tried to find the perfect word to qualify her crush, "a ray of sunshine after a terrible storm. Oh, that guy must be an angel. He's the most handsome guy in this school."

"So?" Nkiru put in sarcastically. "Abeg make we chop forget am. God knows if anyone mentions that guy's name near me again, I might just throw up!"

"Gio," Hassana teased and Nkiru gave her a dirty look. Hassana laughed.

"You should take it as a compliment. You're like a hot potato today and you're usually not in the news except when they are talking about..." Hassana bit her lip and looked away.

"My clothes abi?" Nkiru guessed but Hassana chewed on her bottom lip guiltily.

"Don't worry. I'm used to it." Nkiru smiled to hide how hurt she was. She knew people mocked her clothes behind her but to actually have it confirmed hurt a lot. 

Hassana's worried eyes beheld her friend. "I'm so sorry, Nk. I've told you to allow me get clothes for you but you've refused."

Nkiru willed the tears in her eyes away. If only they'd known her when her dad was rich. She never wanted for anything. Her clothes and accessories were bought from the best boutiques. There were times when she wouldn't remember she had some clothes because her clothes were that numerous. Every year, they sent their castoffs to the village since they were no longer of use to them. She used to see her old clothes on villagers whenever they went home for Christmas. The same villagers who later mocked their present state. Life could indeed be cruel sometimes.

Pulling herself togther, she released a bright smile and told her troubled roommate, "I appreciate your generosity but I can't allow you do that. You've done so much for me and I'm grateful. Don't worry, someday I'll dress better."

Hassana contemplated how she should tell Nkiru the truth about her clothes without hurting her feelings. By Jove, the shirt she had on looked like what a clown would wear and feel estatic. What's with the rainbow colours? Had Gio really looked at her? Maybe the arrogant f.ool had been laughing at her. The dress was colourful enough to make someone suffering from colour blindness wince. How was she going to put it?

"Nk, it isn't as if your clothes don't fit, it's just that...that they always look so old and worn out and the colours and patterns don't do you justice as well."

"I know. I always go for the cheapest OK clothes. It's what enables me get like ten clothes instead of just two."

"To me, having two good clothes is better than having ten washed out ones," Hassana pointed out. "Look, my cousin who just came back from Dubai sent me some clothes. Hassan will bring them by the weekend. We'll select some for you there."

Nkiru shook her head. "The only gossip about me that would be worse than the clothes I wear would be the one of you handing me clothes. Of course everyone would know you gave them to me."

"But you don't care what people say."

"I know but sometimes I do. Thanks but no thanks, Hassana."

Nkiru lowered her eyes. How would she make her friend understand that wearing such clothes would only make her remember how life had once been for her? It wasn't as if she was blind to what her mates wore and all that. Longing for such things wasn't going to get her anywhere. It had taken her and her siblings time to adjust to their present state. It had been pretty difficult to do without a lot of things but when Nnamdi called them all together and told them if they wanted their parents to live long, they ought not to complain about the things they couldn't have anymore. He advised them all to make do with whatever they had as complaining would lead to thinking on the parts of their parents which could lead to high BP and other health issues. So they'd all unanimously agreed to manage whatever they had though it had taken some adjusting on the part of the twins because they were used to being pampered. Nkiru had helped herself adjust by totally wiping her mind off what they once had. There was no need crying over spilt milk. Whenever she was mocked and the door to her past tried opening, she locked it firmly again by picking up a book to read. She would open the door to the past when she was good and ready because by then, she'd have again what she once had and some. Only when you have crossed the river, can you say the crocodile has a lump on his snout.

"Fine." Hassana's voice brought her back from her thoughts. "Let's think of something else. He sent me some money also and I already have more than enough in my account 'cause I duped my dad and fiancée about some school stuff so they sent me money twice this month. I'll just take from it and we can go and get you some clothes in the school's boutique."

Nkiru felt scandalous. "School's boutique where they sell stuff at outrageously exorbitant prices? How can common panties sell for two thousand naira? I wan wear am take swim with Jesus? Abi na only the pant I go dey wear waka about? I know how many clothes I can get with that amount of money!"

Hassana giggled helplessly. "Wallahi, you're funny. See ba, their clothes aren't expensive at all, after all, they are designer clothes. Don't argue with me on this. We must change your clothes this month."

Nkiru sighed heavily. "Hassana, if you are ashamed of being seen with me, no problem. I'll start doing things alone."

Hassana viewed her friend with bewilderment. "Haba! Are you alright? Why should I be ashamed of being seen with you. Am I not with you right now? Am I not here?" Her gaze roved round the cafeteria.

The cafeteria was known for their cheap rates. The chancellor had not wanted to make that distinction amongst the students in order for the not well-to-do especially the scholarship students not to feel ostracized but when the cooks from the classy restaurants had complained that the cheap meals went bad at the end of the day due to low patronage since the percentage of the rich kids to the scholarship students was higher, and also the lecturers--even though they were highly paid--complained of the exorbitant prices charged by the classy restaurants, the chancellor had capitulated and ordered for the establishment of a cafeteria to accommodate the needs of the lowly. Nkiru ate her breakfast and dinner there everyday if she had enough money. There were times when she had to drink garri or eat biscuits or stay hungry when she didn't have sufficient money to patronize the cafeteria. The rich kids never patronized the place; only some lectures, especially the single ones and some students. Some of the scholarship students however didn't visit the place, they preferred fronting to the rich kids while some actually had the money to feed in the classy restaurants. The cafeteria saw one or two rich kids once in a while-- the ones who'd gone broke probably due to excessive spending, partying and the likes. After all, hunger is felt by a slave and hunger is felt by a king. Luckily, it was situated apart from the other restaurants, so one could eat in peace without having to encounter looks of disgust from some of the spoilt rich kids passing.

"Haven't we been together for three years? What's that?" Hassana was still ranting. "If you don't want my help, just say so instead of abusing me. Haba!" She was infuriated. She made to stand up but Nkiru held her hand.

"I'm sorry, Hassana. I didn't mean to upset you. Please don't be angry...okay. Fine! Let's go and shop at the boutique."

Her friend smiled satisfactorily. "Now we are talking! You know I know how to get you to agree with me."

"So you weren't even angry with me?" Nkiru was amazed.

"Of course not." Her friend chuckled. "You're the only true friend I have. Please stop objecting or fighting me whenever I try to help you. It gives me great pleasure to put a smile on your face. See, I admire you a lot. I don't look down on you or pity you because you aren't rich. To be truthful, you even have more going for you than us, rich kids."

A warm smile turned the corner of Nkiru's lips. "Thanks. I appreciate your friendship also."

Hassana smiled too. "Me too. And it's one of the great pillars of Islam to give alms. Or don't you want me to go to Al-jannah (heaven)?" Nkiru laughed. "Now drink that lacasera and eat that chicken. No excuses."

Nkiru jokingly saluted. "Yes Ma." 

She used her fork to remove a piece of the chicken and placed it in her mouth, chewing gently. "Look on the bright side. Despite the poor state of my clothes, I was able to get the attention of the so-called most handsome guy in the school."

Hassana laughed. "Tor!"

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 6:09pm On Feb 24, 2016

Gio spied Nkiru inside the Nnamdi Azikiwe hall and thanked his stars. He didn't want to go asking of her whereabouts again. He had already heard rumors about his staring at her in class that morning. He didn't give a fig though, knowing full well that his approaching her now would fuel the rumors. People loved reading in this particular hall because it was very spacious and airy. He preferred the Mary Slessor hall. It was smaller and less occupied.

Caught between two stools, he'd pondered for hours if he should approach her or not. He didn't want to fail the course, at the same time he didn't want to be indebted to anyone, least of all a girl. After debating for hours, he'd finally decided that getting an 'A' in the course was much more important than his pride.

He walked over to where the girl in question was busy writing. She had a beautiful and legible handwriting. He stood there for a full minute without her noticing his presence. This was new to him.

"Excuse me." 

At the sound of the baritone voice, Nkiru lifted her head like a sleepwalker and focused on Gio in disbelief. Was she seeing things? Was the renowned most handsome guy in Prestige university staring down at her with charcoal black eyes? She removed her glasses to make sure she was seeing right. Giovanni, the school's hot cake was indeed standing before her. Wow! He was even more gorgeous up close and personal. He was really the most devastatingly attractive guy she had ever seen. He was wearing a Navy blue cashmere sweater that fitted his broad shoulders and lean frame to perfection, shielding his muscular body from the cold wind which was as a result of the early morning rain. He was well over six feet tall with wide shoulders that tapered down to lean hips and long legs. Black wavy hair crowned his head, his eyes were piercing black, his nose straight. His perfectly sculptured lips were curved over brilliant white teeth.

Giovanni couldn't say a word as he stared at her. She wasn't beautiful but there was something about her. He was captivated by her eyes. They were brown...no...not brown. Hazel. That was it. Hazel. He felt he could drown in them. He continued to study her, a kind of flagellating stare that threatened to strip the skin from her facial bones.

Their eyes met and meshed and something indefinable passed between them. They continued staring at each other, oblivious of the people around them who were staring at them also in surprise.

Gio found his way out of those deep deep eyes.

"Hi," he said.

"Ah...err....hello." Nkiru stammered. Was that her voice that sounded like a wounded animal caught in a trap? She was clearly flustered. She insulted herself for acting like a bumbling idio.t.

"You attended Professor Laroche's algorithm class this morning, right?"

Nkiru could only nod her head.

"Please, may I borrow your book? I mean your notes on the lecture."

Nkiru stared rudely before she asked, "Why?"

Gio looked uncertain and kept her quiet for a minute before replying, "I didn't understand a single word he said."

Nkiru didn't know what to say. A lot of people had complained about the same thing. She guessed she was lucky since their next door neighbors in Lagos then had been a French family.

"I'm sorry but I can't lend you my book."

Gio actually did a double take. He dealt her an incredulous scrutiny. His lower lip had briefly parted company with the upper.

"You're refusing my request?" he asked with hauteur.

Arrogant much? Nkiru asked inwardly. He must have been way ahead on the queue when they handed out self-assurance. She could almost see it oozing out of his pores. It made her more determined.

"I have tutorials this evening and I need the book for it. So, yes, I'm refusing your request," Nkiru firmly told him.

He scrutinised her with angry eyes. Initial shock and disbelief were giving way to rage and an unfamiliar sense of appalled bewilderment that only stoked the rage higher. Nkiru could feel the force of his suppressed rage licking out at her like hungry flames, desperate for fuel to feed on. It was a curiously satisfying experience, warming her chilled bones in the cold air. He quietly swung on his heels and walked away. She stared after him.

If there is character, ugliness becomes beauty; if there is none, beauty becomes ugliness

Wow! She felt as she had been hit by a train. Not only handsome but indeed arrogant as well. She hated guys like that. She belatedly noticed people were staring at her so she returned her gaze to her book.

She tried to concentrate on her book but couldn't. She could still picture the handsome guy beside her. Even his Chanel perfume still lingered in the cold air. 

"Great! Now he has ruined my afternoon," she murmured. She placed her books back in her bag and left the hall, not minding the many pair of eyes that trailed her departure.

Meanwhile, Gio was fuming on the way back to his room. 

How dare she? How dare she refuse him her book? What did she mean by that? No female had ever refused him anything. Not even their female lecturers. Who the hell was she anyway with her cheap clothes, poor-dress sense, plain face, genius brain, beautiful handwriting, and lovely eyes?

Gio caught himself when he realised he had been complimenting her features. He stopped and smiled.

She was the only brilliant girl he had seen in a while. She was the only female who had ever refused him anything. 

He continued smiling till he got to his room. He removed his bag and shoes and laid on his bed to stare at the ceiling, barely acknowledging Tosin's presence who was reading at his table and who was used to his roommate's untidiness.

"Why are you smiling as if all your Christmases have come at once?"

"Because they just might."

Tosin's eyes narrowed perceptibly.

"That girl again, huh?"

"Yep. Nkiru Chiwendu again."

*To be continued*

5 Likes

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 6:13pm On Feb 24, 2016
CHAPTER THREE

Episode 7

I realize there’s something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they’re experts at letting things go.
—Jeffrey McDaniel

"Oooooooh! Where is this book na?" Nkiru shouted in frustration. She'd been looking for her algorithm notebook for almost twenty minutes. She was almost in tears. They were going to have the lecture in the next thirty minutes.

"Are you sure you didn't give it to any of your students?" Hassana asked for the umpteenth time as she dressed up for her own lecture.

Nkiru didn't bother replying her. Throwing her an angry look was better. She checked all her books again for the sixth time. She really needed the notebook to follow up on what they had been taught in the previous class. She remembered putting it inside her bag after her tutorials last night. Now it seemed as if it had disappeared into thin air. She sat down heavily on her bed in great distress.

Gio glanced at his Rolex wristwatch. It was almost time for the algorithm lecture. He was going to try one more time but if he still couldn't understand a word that was said by the Frenchman, he would quit it and focus on other courses or better still download materials from the net on the course. Thank God the man wasn't keen on taking attendance. He shut down his system and was about putting the laptop inside his backpack when a girl walked up to him.

Oh, Christ, wasn't it too early for a clingy girl to try practicing her feminine wiles on him? It was just a few minutes to 8am for God's sake! The girl in question wasn't bad looking, he had to give her that. The skin tight trousers which brought out every contour of her hips was like an extension of her body. She had on a see-through peach-coloured blouse. Her make up was so heavy, Gio believed it would take a shovel to scrape it off.

"Hi Gio. My name is Brenda," she drawled softly. After the first glance of assessment, Gio continued the task he'd been about doing before she came along.

Brenda was disconcerted for a moment. The least he could have done was reply her greeting. After the trouble she'd gone through just to be there at that moment, she felt she deserved better from him. She quickly went about her mission and dropped the two notebooks she held on the table.

"I overhead your conversation with Nkiru yesterday. I was seated behind her. Gosh! I was shocked she could be so b*tchy over a notebook. Anyway, I got you the book. I'm one of her tutorial students and let's just put it that I borrowed the book from her without her knowledge. I spent the night copying the contents of her notebook into a fresh one so I can return it to her. We've only had three lessons but with lengthy notes. I copied them so you wouldn't trouble yourself. If you want me to continue helping you copy the note after my tutorials, I don't have a problem with that."

Gio paused. Nkiru again. God dammit! He'd spent countless hours thinking about her and the embarrassment she'd dealt him and had finally decided to stay away from her. Now this b*tch had not only brought back the memory of what transpired the afternoon before, she'd confessed to witnessing his embarrassment and what was more, admitted she stole the poor girl's book just to please him. Had self-respect relocated to anther planet? What was it with these girls anyway? He'd rebuffed them so much and disdainfully too that he'd thought someday he'd hear one of them had committed suicide, but they were still as stubborn as ever. What did they want from him? A relationship? Sex? What, for crying out loud! Had the female race placed a bet on him as to who would finally get him? Wherever he went, he could swear he saw girls swinging their lassoes. So far he'd been able to dodge all of them.

Brenda bit her beautifully manicured nails. Was it a good thing that Gio had paused to stare at the books before him? Was it not a plus that he'd not walked out on her without saying a word which was his trademark? What was he thinking? She wished she had the ability to read minds. Thank God there were very few people in the hall who were actually studying.

"Really, Gio, all I want is for us to be friends. I don't want your money or anything like that. I'll do anything to get you to be my friend. Anything!" she firecely declared.

Gio shifted his gaze from the book to the nervously smiling girl after she finished her rambling. He raised an eyebrow.

"Anything?"

"Anything," she affirmed and drew closer to him.

"How about seeking for where self-respect is sold and buying some?" he spat out. "Why do you want to be my friend? In order to brag about it or for me to bed you? Which is it? You're a beautiful girl no doubt but throwing yourself at men will only make you a cheap lay. Stop degrading yourself."

He rose and took Nkiru's notebook, leaving the highly ashamed girl, squirming .

"Thanks for your efforts but reserve it for your studies so people like me won't see you and females in general as air heads. Last bullet, cover yourself up properly. Seeing boobs that are almost getting to your knees is a total turn off. Reminds me of my grandmother's."

Brenda felt as if an avalanche had hit her. She wrapped her arms around her. Oh, God, the people she'd thought were minding their business were now staring at her. Wicked girls among them were giggling while some guys were looking at her with pity. What a shame! She'd heard about the encounters of some girls with the handsome devil and had thought she'd never find herself in such a situation but here she was now, the cynosure of all eyes in Mary Slessor hall. The ones who didn't know what happened that had brought about giggling in the hall now knew. By afternoon, the whole school would know Gio had given her an epic rejection.

She had her roommate to blame for this embarrassment of a lifetime. She'd urged her to steal poor Nkiru's book and present it to Gio. It had been her own idea to copy the note and dress provocatively. All for nothing! Only a fool tests the depth of a river with both feet. She should have been subtle.

Gio was mean, nasty and wicked. Why couldn't he have just said no? But could she really blame him? Girls ran after him like ants to sugar. It must be pretty frustrating. But what girl wouldn't see Gio and wet her panties?

Brenda lifted her chin and with her head held high, she catwalked out of the small hall.

Gio strode towards the engineering class, castigating himself. What the heck? Why had he just broken his rule by talking to that cheap filly? Not just a word but sentences. Da*n! He was losing his touch all because of Nkiru. His last thought last night and his waking thought this morning had been of her. She was softening him without even knowing it.

His face hardened. He knew why he had decided to stay off females. She wouldn't change him! His heart hardened as he walked into the large engineering class. He stood by the door and surveyed the place. He spotted her sitting alone with her head bent. Walking over to her, he extended a lean brown hand and threw her notebook on the table. The long fingers, Nkiru noticed absently, were beautifully shaped. 

"Next time, choose your friends carefully," was all he said.

Nkiru watched in astonishment as Gio went to take a seat some paces from her. She looked at her book on the table In wonder. How had he gotten the book? Her eyes narrowed in anger as she realized one of her students had probably stolen the book and given it to him just to gain favour in his sight. 

But who could have known she had denied him the book? She tried very hard to remember those who had sat around her yesterday in the reading hall. Had any of her students been there?

Brenda! 

She should have known. A bird will always use another bird's feathers to feather its own nest. Her eyes traveled round the class for the two-faced girl but didn't find her. She would give her the length and breath of her tongue. She stood up to search for her but sat back as the professor walked in. She'd deal with her later.

Fifteen minutes into the lecture, she stared in shock as Gio stood up, lifted his bag and left the class. Her eyes followed him till she couldn't see him anymore. Guilt hit her. She really should have tried to come to a compromise with him. It wouldn't have cost her anything yesterday if she'd lent him the book till after dinner. She made up her mind there and then to give him the notebook and offer to explain things to him as well.

Nkiru however looked for him throughout that day but couldn't find him. She shrugged and decided to try again the following day. Brenda was no where to be found either. She'd heard whispers of the heavy disappointment she'd faced in Gio's hands. She didn't even come for tutorials that night. Nkiru wasn't bothered. Pregnancy couldn't be hidden.

She found Gio after lunch the following day in his classroom, gathering his stuff with the intention of leaving the place. She rushed to his side and dropped her notebook on the table.

"Hi," she said and marveled anew at God's wonderful creation.

He lifted his head, spared her a glance and resumed what he was doing in silence.

"You can have my notebook. I won't make use of it tonight," she offered, breaking the silence.

He left her in suspense for a full minute before he fluidly rose from his chair. "I don't need it anymore," he informed her squarely and lifted his bag on his back. "I met the professor and we sorted things out. I have his notes and I've downloaded some learning materials from the net."

"Really? I'm happy that..." She was still talking when he walked out on her. She stood there in great surprise, staring after him. Arrogant b*stard! Pompous lout!

Gio willed himself not to turn around to survey the expression on the face of the girl he'd just dissed with relish. A huge smile hit his face, softening his hard features. He knew he had disconcerted her. Served her right for always creeping into his thoughts at the slightest spare moment. It was time to erase her from his mind and life.

Nkiru Chiwendu, you have just been erased!

6 Likes

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 6:15pm On Feb 24, 2016

Nkiru lifted her fisted hand and hit the door to Brenda's room rapidly. Her eyes were blazing, her nose flaring and her face was flushed. Brenda had been avoiding her but she knew she was in there because she had seen the former through her room window entering the building. After putting on her clothes, she'd rushed to the silly girl's room. One really shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Brenda whom she'd thought was her good friend. Well, she was going to have this confrontation, let the chips fall where they may.

Brenda opened the door a crack. Nkiru forcefully pushed the door and entered the room. She stood in the middle of the room with arms akimbo. The sad girl quietly closed the door and turned to face her irate former tutor.

"Why haven't you been coming for tutorials?" Nkiru stared at the young beauty who went to sit on her bed in a nonchalant attitude.

"I don't need your tutorials anymore." She shrugged and picked her Vogue magazine from the tiled floor.

"Was that why you stole my book and gave it to Gio?" Nkiru was having none of that.

Brenda grew alarmed. She however kept quiet and stared at her delicately painted finger nails. So Gio sold her out. How he must hate her. The embarrassment hadn't been enough for him.

"If you try that nonsense again, I won't take it lightly." Nkiru walked majestically to the door. Fury suddenly etched deep into Brenda's head.

"Who are you to talk to me like that, you church rat, you low life?" she delivered curtly and rose. "Wasn't I the one who gave you the idea of monetizing your tutorials in the first place? Wasn't I the one who connected you to all your students?" Her eyes blazed fire.

Her frustration over the past few days poured forth. She'd gone into hiding in her sister's room a few blocks away to shield herself from some of her unkind friends. But after a heated quarrel with her sister, she'd decided to return to her room. And now this! Hadn't she suffered enough?

Nkiru who had her hand on the door knob dropped it and turned slowly.

"So that gave you justification to steal my book and give it to that arrogant a**? What did you gain by doing that? I heard you made a big fool of yourself. Is that true?" Nkiru sliced back jeeringly.

Brenda saw red. She stabbed a shaky finger in the air at the door.

"Get out of here, you this poverty stricken b*tch! I don't know why they allowed such a pauper into this prestigious school. Go and tell that your broke a** father to go and make some money in order for you to stop wearing cheap clothes. Nonentity"

Oh, no, she didn't! She didn't just abuse her father.

Nkiru with a fake smile on her face walked slowly to the seething girl. Before Brenda could move, her ex-tutor shook her face with a hot slap. It sounded like a gun shot. Brenda held her reddening cheek and made to retaliate but Nkiru held her hand and slapped her hard on her other cheek as well. It wasn't as loud as the first one but tears jumped out of Brenda's eyes. Nkiru gripped her tank top and drew her closer.

"If you ever insult me or my father again, I'll beat you till you see your ancestors. I'm not an aje butter so don't try me." A no-nonsense voice warned the teary-eyed girl.

As the silence continued after the thrown gauntlet, tears spilled rapidly from Brenda's eyes as if they were in a competition for first to roll down her cheeks and wet her clothes.

"If you like come for tutorials, if you like don't come, that's you business. If you also like, tell your your friends to stop coming, I have enough people on the sidelines who have been begging me to include them. You're dead wood to me." Nkiru released her top and shoved her away roughly. Brenda fell heavily on her bed.

"I...I'll report you," she managed to whisper loudly to Nkiru who was already at the door even though she was beginning to have the first sign of a migraine coming on. Nkiru with the same plastic smile on her face turned around again.

"Just try it. Looks as if you're not okay with your face and need plastic surgery. Well, I'm ready to oblige you by rearranging it for you. So go ahead and report me. Nonsense!"

She yanked open the door and closed it loudly behind her. She walked shakily to her room and sat down on her bed.

Gosh! She hadn't meant to do that but the little witch had insulted her father. Her hardworking and loving father. She knelt down and prayed for forgiveness and prayed also that Brenda wouldn't report her. She knew the school authorities would take sides with the daughter of a wealthy business man not the daughter of a nobody, a scholarship student at that.

Maybe she should go back and beg Brenda, she pondered. Nah! That would give the nasty thing more power over her. Her threats had actually hit its mark. She had smelt Brenda's fear.

She smiled. Nnamdi would be proud of her. He had taught her to toughen up in their season of selling in the streets.

Those whose palm-kernels were cracked for them by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble.

The weather was cold. The rain had fallen mercilessly that evening. But the couple who were tearing each other's clothes off were oblivious to the cold breeze moving around them as they glued themselves against the wall. They hungrily devoured each other.The fire burning between them was enough to set the entire school ablaze.

"Sh*t!" Chris swore.

"What is it?" Jessica questioned as she wore her panties and skirt after the illicit romp at the back of the microbiology lab.

"The condom broke," Chris reluctantly said.

"Again?" she replied hysterically.

"Well, someone always want it harder," Chris pointed out bluntly.

"Shut up! I was so Hot! You know our exams stopped us from meeting earlier. I sooo hate exam periods, I always run on fumes until my final paper. Anyway, what are we going to do now? I'm in my fertile stage," she grumbled.

"Don't freak out. It's a no-brainer. I'll get you Postinor Two as usual." Chris shrugged and righted his clothes.

"I'm tired of taking it!" she yelled.

"Then start taking contraceptive pills. I've suggested that a million times."

"When pigs fly. I've told you a billion times that I don't want to get fat, idio.t!"

Chris shrugged. He didn't mind the insults. She paid him very well for being her stud. He was a scholarship student with middle-class parents. He needed the extra cash for fun and all, so he could pretend to be rich. He serviced other girls also. It was a nice money-making venture.

"So, when will I get the pill?" Jessica asked after thinking for a short while.

"Tomorrow."

"The earlier, the better. I'll pay you when I get it."

"No probs."

"Now wait five minutes before you come out," she instructed and left their hiding place which was dark because Chris had made sure he removed the floodlights. He replaced it now and came out of hiding too. He put his hands in his pockets and whistled away until he met the security man who patrolled that area of the campus. He gave him his habitual tip for looking the other way as usual whenever he and Jessica or one of his other girls came that way.

Buisness was good.

*To be continued*

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by Missmossy(f): 8:29pm On Feb 24, 2016
Enthralling!!

2 Likes

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by chii8(f): 9:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
I am just waoed....

I feel just good,thanks op
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by moseph(f): 9:57pm On Feb 24, 2016
Audreytimms is at it again,am so following this story till the end.
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
Jessica the bitch, Nkiru the cat, lol, Weldon Timms
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by captaing59(m): 11:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
Is this story on okadabooks.com. I'd love to buy it
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by kingphilip(m): 2:21am On Feb 25, 2016
AudreyTimms always killing it

I was in the state of let it not finish till I'm done

Twas such a lovely ride

Thanks for sharing
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by kingphilip(m): 2:22am On Feb 25, 2016
Calmie have you been here??
I bet you'll enjoy the ride

1 Like

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by Nobody: 7:29am On Feb 25, 2016
now this got me hooked keep it coming
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by loveyP(f): 9:19am On Feb 25, 2016
Interesting ..........good work Audrey
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by onosj(f): 12:49pm On Feb 25, 2016
Audrey is back again! following 4rm back 2 back.
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
Missmossy:
Enthralling!!
Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
chii8:
I am just waoed....

I feel just good,thanks op
Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:21pm On Feb 25, 2016
moseph:
Audreytimms is at it again,am so following this story till the end.
Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:22pm On Feb 25, 2016
adefunke62:
Jessica the bitch, Nkiru the cat, lol, Weldon Timms
Lol. Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
captaing59:
Is this story on okadabooks.com. I'd love to buy it
Nope. It's not. It hasn't been completed yet. Thanks for the interest though
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:25pm On Feb 25, 2016
kingphilip:
AudreyTimms always killing it

I was in the state of let it not finish till I'm done

Twas such a lovely ride
Thanks for sharing
Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:27pm On Feb 25, 2016
Jonathan2787:
now this got me hooked keep it coming
Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:28pm On Feb 25, 2016
loveyP:
Interesting ..........good work Audrey
Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:30pm On Feb 25, 2016
onosj:
Audrey is back again! following 4rm back 2 back.
You're welcome. Thanks dear
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 2:31pm On Feb 25, 2016
See you all tomorrow.
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by kingphilip(m): 4:00pm On Feb 25, 2016
AudreyTimms:

Thanks dear
Tell me how to go about purchasing the e-book please

i'm not conversant with okada books

or better still if theres a black market i can get it from please redirect me
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by kingphilip(m): 4:01pm On Feb 25, 2016
AudreyTimms:
See you all tomorrow.
can't wait o
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by jaybiz007(m): 5:49pm On Feb 25, 2016
What an amazing talent you have got @AudreyTimms, may your river of blessings never run dry.
Do let me know when it is available for purchase. You are the bomb!

1 Like

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by tijehi(f): 7:01pm On Feb 25, 2016
Audrey is on firrrrreeeee. Fantastic storyline. Are u gonna put it up for sale on okadabooks?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by Emmykul4love(m): 7:49pm On Feb 25, 2016
Ma I cant find chapter 10 of letting go on your facebook page wat happen
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 8:28pm On Feb 25, 2016
kingphilip:
Tell me how to go about purchasing the e-book please

i'm not conversant with okada books

or better still if theres a black market i can get it from please redirect me
Please which book are you referring to?
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 8:31pm On Feb 25, 2016
@jaybiz007, thanks for the compliment and prayer. Will do

@tijehi, thanks dear. Maybe when i'm through with writing it. I don't know yet.
Re: Letting Go By Audrey Timms by AudreyTimms(f): 8:32pm On Feb 25, 2016
Emmykul4love:
Ma I cant find chapter 10 of letting go on your facebook page wat happen
Please mail me on facebook.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (73) (Reply)

Man Wey Dey Reason / BROKEN HEDGE By Toyin Taiwo / My Life On Campus (A True Life Story).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.