Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,772 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill (4289 Views)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by MadMax1(f): 7:19pm On Jul 15, 2009
Stupid lawmakers. You can tell those against it do so to protect their own landlordly interests. Criminal to ask tenants to pay 2/3 years rent in advance. So insanely unreasonable it can only make sense in naija. Does the average tenant, many of them salaried, collect 2/3 years salary at a whop? What are they supossed to do, rob a bank because they want to rent a place? Pass the freakin bill, morons.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by qwext: 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2009
while i dont have the ful details of the bill in question, from what i've gleaned of the bill so far, it would be practcally difficult for government to legislate something that should principally be determined by the forces of demand and supply. housing (the renting segment of it) is still largely a sellers market where there are plenty more tenants chasing less number of appartments. again, teneats are increasing at a faster rate than houses are being built. it used to be the same scenario in telecoms prior to liberalisation of the sector when demand far out weighed supply. Prices have been brought down now that supply is far plentier than it used to be and increasing probably faster than the rate at which consumers are increasing.

Nigerians especially lagos landlord are wily people, if the bill sees the light of day, there will always be ways of circumventing the law, as long as situation continues like this, tenants wil even be the ones to waive their rights under the law in order to secure the scarce accommodation.

There are better more creative ways of easing housikng for people than by legislating in futility; the lwamakers should just think out of the box to make a Brighter Rewarding Future for Lagosians
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by simeipiri: 9:03pm On Jul 15, 2009
kaecy5:

well Bros, i doubt if you pay your house rent yourself cos if u do u would know that paying for a 3 bedroom apartment for 2 or 3 years in advance might force you to take a bank loan. probably u are one of those that only think about themselves and not what people in our streets go thru, but alas it would come to u when you grow up and one day b4 u become ur almighty landlord you would face the music

i have live in Europe . Usa, southafrica and i can authoritatively tell you only Nigeria is where u pay 3 years in advance. does any body in Nigeria receive salary in advance? i even know a lot of folks that have not received up to 3 months salary

the whole system has to change i agree with u, starting from the government to the banks, i use to think there is a term called mortgage loan, but we both know it is not for me and you it is for the likes that keep borrowing and would not pay and they end up striking a deal with the bank MD. we only see them in the news papers, infarct one of them was named in Forbes list- richest man in Nigeria with factories of cement macaroni spaghetti all around the country and yet would not pay back his loan

go and try getting a mortgage loan from a nigerian bank, the interest if it does not kill u would make u permanently broke, u would end up paying salaries of at least one entry level every year for the whole 30 year duration of the loan.

the system needs to change and our govt should be responsible to the people not to build houses sell it to their friends and tell us via NTA that they have giving us the people housing project, i am tired of being played.

maybe when you pay your first house rent probably some where in Lekki / ikoyi by God's grace and you pay for 2 years and you survive, u still have changed to buy ur flat screen and a car please let me know and dont tell me you work for the big companies, tell me you work for the regular me and u company and i would be eager to learn your survival tactics

cheers

Kaecy5
Just for your information i started paying my house rent 6 years ago. I'm married with 2 kid so please don't insult me.
If i work for a big company and you don't thats none of my business.
Monthly rent can't work in Nigeria and thats just my own opinion.
How many months quit notice do you give a tenant that pays monthly. Think again before you write, i know Nigerians would definetly abuse this.
Nigeria is good at solving problems from the top and never getting to the root of it. Solutions that would last for months and before you know it we are either back to where we are or even worse
For me, just a silly idea
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 15, 2009
and did you guys know that while they are sitting trying to pass the bill and doing all the debates,, bragging and talks, they are been given money for the Bill to be heard.
This country is just too wrong and messed up.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 10:07pm On Jul 15, 2009
Wow,
this debate is getting tougher and more fun. Well, like BAc said, lets keep it clean. No abusive words. We're all just voicing our opinions, not that any of it may create any change or value to the proposed bill.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 10:11pm On Jul 15, 2009
A poster once insinuated that another poster is yet to pay a rent, little did he realize that he was referring to a man with wife and 2 kids, now that's an informational error. I saw another poster say, some folks who live overseas may be squatters, some times I feel like backing away from nairaland, because, I just don't want to join issues with folks who were in high sch, JSS 2 when I was in final yr in ife, that's not bad at all, just that, they still posit very weak argument and even attack persons instead of intellectualizing.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2009
Back to the issue. a poster was right, some of us who supports the bill live overseas, but also, we're also part of the few investing in commercial properties in Lagos, as such we may not be squatting overseas.

Another poster did opined that, there is been a lot of housing effort by the govt. that's true, i never had the presence of mind to look into that. I do however remember that, that same Jakande estate rents at the ongoing price and terms too.

Another poster did lucidly state-which I think is true-that the laws of supply and demand would be the final arbiter in this case and you should be able to guess who "she" is giving judgement in favour of.

Truly, govt. could not build a hundred million homes, but it could at the least build enough to change the scenario. Build more and build more. We've got the money, so why not.?
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Lady2(f): 2:43am On Jul 16, 2009
Its funny that the government is trying to promulgate a law that would apply to and be binding on the citizens, on "property" that the government does not own, yet the owners of such property and the citizenry in general are not aware of the contents of such a Bill, not to mention that they would and should have a public reading/debate/contribution to such Bill!

What nation holds public debate on the bills passed in their senate and house?
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Lady2(f): 2:46am On Jul 16, 2009
Just for your information i started paying my house rent 6 years ago. I'm married with 2 kid so please don't insult me.
How many months quit notice do you give a tenant that pays monthly. Think again before you write, i know Nigerians would definetly abuse this.
Nigeria is good at solving problems from the top and never getting to the root of it. Solutions that would last for months and before you know it we are either back to where we are or even worse

I agree. There isn't a credit system to determine if the renter can make payments or is a responsible citizen.

I reside in the U.S. and in order to rent I had to undergo a credit check to prove that I am willing to make payments and not just abandon my responsibilities.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by smooooooth: 7:54am On Jul 16, 2009
rent in lagos is evil, there is no where where house owners collect 2 year rent upfront, to think that this houses are even over priced. i think the bil shld be passed, for as least 3 month, 6months, maybe even a year! and the law makers are too stupid to even think a bill passed will not be adhered to. shows they dnt know what they are doing.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Unegbu3: 8:58am On Jul 16, 2009
For me, landlord shld b educated on hw dey collect moni becos it is nt easy 2 pay a rent of hw thousand n stil feed his famil 4 hw much salary, govt shuld fight 4 d bill 2 b passed
Dat y he is been elected 2 fight 4 d poor masses, thank u
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Unegbu3: 9:22am On Jul 16, 2009
Let leave d lyin dog 2 lie, d problem is nobdy want 2 screfice 4 anybdy, if only we can lean hw 2 condole each, I promise u nigeria we b a better place 4 all of us
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by ogbronx(m): 11:08am On Jul 16, 2009
nosa-henry.you wrote well abeg.very few nigerians view things objectively.honetsly,i stopped reacting to threads and topics here because of disheartening comments some nairalanders make.the those law makers were just protecting their interest.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by tkb417(m): 11:20am On Jul 16, 2009
simeipiri:

Kaecy5

hmm,
where do i start?
monthly rent cannot work in Lagos becos of what?
apart from rent, what other bills do you pay in advance in Nigeria?
and why is domestic rent different from the other rents we have in Nigeria

are you having problems with the implementation afterwards or the authenticity of the bill?
leave implementation till the bill is passed!
I marvel at the thoughts of people who think we can only thrive in abyss?
what a negative way if thinking!
Bill can be passed and can be implemented!

pete:

Back to the issue. a poster was right, some of us who supports the bill live overseas, but also, we're also part of the few investing in commercial properties in Lagos, as such we may not be squatting overseas.

Another poster did opined that, there is been a lot of housing effort by the govt. that's true, i never had the presence of mind to look into that. I do however remember that, that same Jakande estate rents at the ongoing price and terms too.

Another poster did lucidly state-which I think is true-that the laws of supply and demand would be the final arbiter in this case and you should be able to guess who "she" is giving judgement in favour of.

Truly, govt. could not build a hundred million homes, but it could at the least build enough to change the scenario. Build more and build more. We've got the money, so why not.?

how can a Jakande estate that was built many years ago still be going for the same rent as those houses just built?
if thts the case, then the BILL should hurriedly be passed!

The bill is seeking to check the arbitrariness in pricing and supply of housing in Lagos. The bill is not hoping to shut the means of income of the  house owners! How can you say the forces of demand and supply is the only way prices of commodities can be determined?
what is the role of a Government ina free market situation?
why do we have laws in a country?
if their is no law that regulates pricing, then i can as well build a house today and decide to recoup my investment from year 1.
The reason why we have some of our commodities overpriced are due to the regulatory inefficiencies in some of our sectors in this country
how can Rent be going for 1.2 million per annum on a land that was bought for 100k 15 years back?
is that how its done where you claimed you live?
can you buy a property for 50k GBP and rent it out for 20k per annum?

do you know the cost of housing in Nigeria is much more expensive than you have where you live?
Do you know that some land goes for as much as 500million naira in Lagos?
how did they come up with the valuation?

who are the buyers?
who are the sellers?

Things have to be in black and white for sanity to prevail
you just dont assume the forces of demand and supply will adjust for pricing? where is it done?
you get paid monthly, yet you pay in yearly instalments? how bizzare?

someone said their isnt a way a tenant can be checked if he/she will respect his/her obligations?
how do the banks in Nigeria check for credit worthiness?
or dont they give loans?

make we hear word

FYI: i work in a top coy and get paid well and i just dont see any common sense in whats happening?
Its abitrary, evil and shld not henceforth be condoned!
simple
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Divab(f): 11:31am On Jul 16, 2009
The government should led by example, Those that make the rules shld not break it, Let the government build houses, flats, shops and let it out on 3mths payment basis & stick to the implementation plan, Enforcing whatever bill to landlords will make a little sense,

Also paying 2 yrs rent in lagos state is rather high but monthly payment is crazy, Our economy has not developed to that point anyway, I suggest one yr or 6 months payment with appropriate measures to ensure evacuation if there's a default. paying 1yr rent keeps one's heart at rest in cases there's loss of job or source of income,

Before the govt, big boys enforce these rules or Bills, they shld weigh both sides of the coin, its not a matter of passing bills or a lets do it again thing but successful implementation which will benefit landlords & d tenants,
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by temmytanny(m): 11:54am On Jul 16, 2009
CHANGE is wat we need and if you as a nigerian dont change ur meNtality towards things then we can never be like western world 100yrs to come.
we should stop blaming govt for everything,most of our problems are caused by us.

a law hasnt been enacted,we are already condeming it so how do we move forward then?

our nigerian foreigners(squatters in US and europe) are braggin.where did they see the money they used in buying thoses houses there?

most houses are on morgage(10+ years payment plan).

if u dey UK and u brag for here say u get house for UK,i go call scotland yard for you

i have strong feelings that it would be enacted but not the 3months.i guess it would be 6months or one year.its an all AC government(state government and house of rep).when the matter gets worse,asiwaju bola tinubu(oko remi) would call his boy(governor)and boys(house of rep)to a round table discussion and the pedulum would stay at the middle(6months or 1 year)

but as for me ooooo,

6months is ideal and would benefits both parties(tenant and landlord)

CHANGE IS WHAT WE NEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Mowire: 1:13pm On Jul 16, 2009
I've read such comments as
Divab:

Also paying 2 yrs rent in lagos state is rather high but monthly payment is crazy
etc.

For the information/education of the posters of such comments that there was a time when house rent in Lagos was on monthly basis. Then if you owe 3 months consecutively (or less) the landlord gives you a quit notice and you have to pack within a month. This was the case up to early 90s when the Caretakers/lawyers were the ones who reprensented landlords when he is not representing himself. It was not until the worsening unemployment rate drove so many into the rent agency biz and made large %ge of lawyer become mere rent agents that this 1yr (then 2yrs, now 3yrs) rent advance the norm in Lagos. And you can guess the motive: 10% x 2yrs > 10% x 1yr rent.

As for landlords like Pete, whether you collect your rent monthly or annually it will still take you the same number of years to recoup your investment (15 years at least). I am not an investment analyst/professional, but I know that when you invest in building it is meant to be a long term investment - you earn money from it for life and not looking at how long it will take you to recover your investment (you even leave behind for your children). If you want to recoup your investment quickly, the way to do that is to build and sell as stock traders do.

To those of us outside govt it may look difficult to implement this law but we should remember that Fashola is a lawyer and one that is a Lagosian. He is not unfamiliar with this rent thing.

Those law makers who don't want the bill are just anxious over what they expect to be their main saty after they leave office. Dumbs
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nezan(m): 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2009
Divab:

The government should led by example, Those that make the rules shld not break it, Let the government build houses, flats, shops and let it out on 3mths payment basis & stick to the implementation plan, Enforcing whatever bill to landlords will make a little sense,

Also paying 2 yrs rent in lagos state is rather high but monthly payment is crazy, Our economy has not developed to that point anyway, I suggest one yr or 6 months payment with appropriate measures to ensure evacuation if there's a default. paying 1yr rent keeps one's heart at rest in cases there's loss of job or source of income,

Before the govt, big boys enforce these rules or Bills, they shld weigh both sides of the coin, its not a matter of passing bills or a lets do it again thing but successful implementation which will benefit landlords & d tenants,
grin
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by mayrho(m): 2:54pm On Jul 16, 2009
Something is possible everywhere else when it comes to Naija no way Why huh
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 16, 2009
really foundations for things like paying monthly are not in place ,come to think of it ,the shops being built by government are being paid for in advance, if i let an apartment out to you and you default in paying for a month ,who is going to be responsible for that ,please lets look at things from all sides.
How am i to be convinced that you can pay monthly ,the banks that ought to do that are not there for people .
you can just tell a landloard you working for a big company and you expect he or she to accept that.
How do a landlord do a credit check on a tenant
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by tkb417(m): 3:52pm On Jul 16, 2009
really foundations for things like paying monthly are not in place ,come to think of it ,the shops being built by government are being paid for in advance, if i let an apartment out to you and you default in paying for a month ,who is going to be responsible for that ,please lets look at things from all sides.
How am i to be convinced that you can pay monthly ,the banks that ought to do that are not there for people .
you can just tell a landloard you working for a big company and you expect he or she to accept that.
How do a landlord do a credit check on a tenant
Oh Jesus of nazareth!!!
how were they doing it years back?

how do they do it in the banks if u want to borrow?
hehehehe
ol boi, relax

Divab:

hmm i dont get it
are you presuming when the bill is passed the govts builidng wont be charging per month?
Its a law that is binding on all players in the real estate market so nobody will be above the law

i agree, 3-6 months advance may be better than a month.
but 2 years is a sin
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by ud4u: 4:06pm On Jul 16, 2009
What the hell are some people talking about?

Does it mean they like the way Landlords and agents are terrorizing people in this Lagos. Can you imagine where you paid three years rent advance, including agent and agreement fees and packed into a house, just for the three years to expire and they asked you to pack out. Why? Because they want to collect another three years, agent and agreement fees from another person.

Fellow house members, Fashola is so wonderful by bringing out this bill and I pray it succeeds in Jesus Name
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 5:40pm On Jul 16, 2009
Govt's inability to build housing projects for the people of Lagos state is a shame, not on the citizenry, but on the government's social infrastructural system.

" My people are useless, my people are senseless, my people are indiscipline" so the legendary Fela said years ago and that's what the govt. is saying to us very much so today.

I know of a former Lagos state governor with a home worth hundreds of thousands of pounds, and you think govt. can solve this housing problem by being a player in the field of supply?, OK, wait till Fashola leaves office and see if any of his kids or grand children ever school in Nigeria again.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 5:52pm On Jul 16, 2009
I'll commend posters like tkb417 and Mowire for vehemently voicing their opinions without attacking the character/opinions of other posters, but rather addressed the issue the way they think-in their candid opinion-as true and correct. I would however, state thusly:

That, yes, Jakande estate and other nearly 20 to 30yrs old property sell for about the same price with the new ones.This is not a Lagos problem, its so everywhere in the world, property appreciate in value, save only that, Lagos is way too high compared to New York and Ontario or any other major city in the world. Why? please trust me on this, our govt. is killing us, we as Nigerian citizens are not angels, but its confirmed that we have a demonized govt. system.

Also, yes, the forces of supply and demand are tools for the practice of a free market system, not government regulations. That's why its called free market economy. if you build a house in Ikeja, ask for a 100yrs, shame on you,not by the people screaming at you, but by the next house going for 3months or monthly. So, what that translate into? It means that, in the next 100yrs, that house is still vacant, that's the force of logic and not the logic of force as intended by this bill.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2009
Mowire,
You did raise a good point, the idea here is recouping your investment. Nigeria is hot, my folks are tough, only in Nigeria you order 40 Tipper loads of gravel, you count it being delivered and yet its 19 load, though the 40 loads is delivered under your nose, only in Nigeria tenants would live in your property for 18 months without paying a dime, only in Nigeria my friend, only in Nigeria teachers go 4months without pay, teachers, I mean teachers, govt. employees. Why? because some director puts the money in a foreign account and he is trying to accrue interest, only in Nigeria, my friend.
I don't support the idea of agency fees and agreement fees, not even the huge fees charged by the Lagos state govt. I also think 3yrs may be too much, but 1yr is fine even 2yrs is fine, this is my opinion now, don't go screaming. You may think its insensitive, but hey, ask the same Lagos state govt. with all its charges, Omo Oniles and all that jazz with investing in Lagos.
I have rented apartments in the US before, you go look for the landlord to pay your rent, you pay postage to mail your rent in, you pretty much beg them to collect it, WHY? you have a credit to protect. In Nigeria, the system is so messed up, folks don't even care no more, they pay monthly, a lot of guys would default. How about a teacher who lives in your property not getting paid for 6 months? what judge has the moral credibility to order that s/he be thrown out?. So what does that mean? a private investor-landlord- is now helping a thieving govt. so to speak to steal state money.
Morewire, you want to built a 27 3BR unit for 40M, collect 3yrs, collect the agency fees and all them fees and gather as much as 30M and walk away. WHY? because, that house could go up in flames, tenants may refuse payment after the first lease and you have no remedy so to speak. This is not the case in America? why? you think because Nigerians are evil? no, because, our system-govt.-is failed us all. here they are again telling us,its us who are insane.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by BAC: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2009
One of the reason why God gave you one mouth and 2 ears is so that you can listen more and talk less. Some people here choose to talk foul about the rich. I wonder how they can ever be rich. And some of these guys think those of us living abroad live poor. Sorry oo, I can never be poor. I own everything I have in london and Naija out right, my days of tenant in London has been over for the past 15 years and I have stopped doing business with Banks here for over 3 years now. That is with all humbility.

I don't know who has spoken to you guys that you cannot build a house, if that is what you believe you are whipped before you even start. If you are humble enough to listen to those that have money, you will end up having it. But if you sit there and critic the rich, how do you expect to be rich.

And that you are in London does not mean you can make it here. If your maker did not send you here, you will suffer ooo. Money goes to where it can appreciate, not to critics that don't know the law of money. To all my agents in Lagos, collect my money complete or else I sack you.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by lastpage: 6:51pm On Jul 16, 2009
@Pete:
Lastpage,
You have to keep in mind that, if such laws are left to the debate of the public, it would become law in a heart beat. There are more tenants out there than landlords., also, I think its a failed course from jump street.
  Like one of the law markers said, the govt. is not collecting his own dues monthly, but yearly, so where is the morality for asking that landlord do?.
I'm in the process of buying a 4 plot land in Lagos and the fees are crazy, the lawyers is asking, relatives of the owners,surveyors and the biggest of all were that paid to Lagos state. So, its sad. Now, to think that if I put the planned commercial property there, I'll only be able to collect by the month, I'll never realize my capital back, but in 20 or more yrs.
  I bought a 12 family apartment complex in California a while ago and it cost about 812K, I paid less than 20 cash. That way, I could do a month by month and still make 5 to 8 hundred dollars every month. In Nigeria, you have to cough out the 30M naira that would build a similar project. No story! I'm sure we all know the deal how it works in Nigeria.

I'm not saying that the status quot should remain, even the status quot ante wasn't good enough. We need a new Nigeria,one that must start with the govt. not the landlords. You may say, well it should start with us all, yes, but start as in start proper, build govt housing all over Lagos start, one that landlords could not match, I'm sure if our commercial properties are empty, we'll give them out even at weekly rate. treat the problem(s) from the root not from the flowers.

@Naijatoday
I am totally against government building homes.

History has shown Govt. are not good managers, even in the west they are tearing down government housing and handing it over the private sector.

To the people saying the state government should build houses, how many houses do you want them to build? with the state population growing everyday (people moving from other states) the truth is in Lagos state, demand will always outstrip supply (until other states start developing). If the govt. is spending all the money they have building houses how about the roads, were will the money come from.

If Lagos is collecting land use charge on a yearly bases, if the law changes then land use charge must be on a monthly bases.

The bill is not to control how much a landlord charges but how much advance fee payment he can collect. Right now some landlords are asking for 2-3 yrs.

The bill must also protect the landlords.

@Tbk417

i wonder why this is hard to understand
people are saying Govt shld start building houses?
Govt shld build houses for 100 million people   
c'mon cant we think?

In this kind of system, the private will defintely be the last resort even if Govt will build.
Do you people know how many housin schemes Govt both state and Fed have built?
Millions of people are still living in Jakande estates in this country and you say Govt hasnt done shit.
wait till Govt start paying for your rent so gbo?

why would anybody charge 2 year rent?
did they pay you in advance for 2 years where you work?
so where are you supposed to get 1.5million rent from when you take home 200k?
borrow or what?

apply wisdom abeg!

Let them collect quarterly to make life easy. nobody is saying the real value shld be reduced but the ease of payment is what we are talking about
shikena!!!
These three quotes capture the spirit of this discussion and l seek permission to reproduce them.

Friends,
Its no use trying to play the ostrich on matters that affects us all, if you are Tenant today, God-willing, you will be a landlord tomorrow and the same yardstick you profess hear would apply to you so, no need “acting from your own little corner”!

This issue has been “well and thoroughly thrashed” in another thread and l think for the sake of “brevity and continuity” we should link both.
I have provided links to such thread, especially where “l put my money” on such issue. Please click, if you wish.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-281589.64.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-281589.32.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-281589.99999.html#bot

By way of addition, let me say that life is a matter of “simple laws economics”.
Two postulations will help us "grab reality" on this matter.

1.)You cant regulate what you don’t control (mind you, l did not say “own”, l said “control”!
2.) Laws of Demand and Supply will ensure that in a free market, once DD outstrips SS, price would rise untill a state of equilibrium is achieved.

Using these laws we can see that even with the use of force, with time, “Physics law of Entropy and Enthalpy” will lead us to an eventual state of equilibrium, depending on the contending forces of demand and supply!

These are universal laws and Nigeria can not be an exception.
As undesirable as “advance rent” and high rent fees are, we need to tackle the root causes, as some have said, rather than get “sentimental and emotional” about it!

How we feel can not pay for a bag of cement (@#2000/bag) neither can it pay for Govt statutory charges (which are very high and paid upfront, even if you will still be on the land for the next 50yrs!) shocked

The role of governance is to REGULATE “but not regulation-by-fiat”!
Let us remember that “as humans”, we need a roof over our head, either provided by ourselves, a Landlord or the Government.
Either way, money used to build such house (resources) have “competing uses” and if as some have said, Government should not take the lead in ensuring that “Housing Supply” is greater than “Housing Demand” , with the attendant fall in Price, Advance charges and Commission-demanded, the ONLY Option is for Private Landlords to provide such Houses.

Now, Economics, Human Psychology and Corporate Finance details how “humans make Investment decisions”, based on perceived “Return On Investment” (ROI).

The danger with Government regulation by FIAT (and they have the power to enforce it for a short time) without a commensurate massive investment in Housing Projects is that “Private Investors” will realize a “below par ROI” on their resources, compared with investing same resources in other business, like owning a factory, going into farming, Transport services, e.t.c.
javascript:void(0);
The  Net Result is that “Private Resources” are diverted from building private rental houses, into these other areas and once again, as you’d expected, those laws of DD and SS, coupled with principle of need to achieve Equilibrium in an Entropy/Enthalpy setting, will play-out. Rapid and uncontrollable Price hikes………… as we have today.

I do not reason on sentiment, facts are facts, no matter how we feel.
When Govt tackles the challenges by flooding the landscape with affordable housing (as obtainable in all these western countries we try to copy) it will serve as a wench in the wheel of economic, investment and entropy laws.
After that, Govt should then hand-over such properties, by way of “auction sale” to private investors while keeping an eye on how such investors discharge their responsibility. It is called GUIDED DEREGULATION!.

Cheers, Lastpage
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by lastpage: 6:55pm On Jul 16, 2009
BAC, you really funny! grin
I beg, l wan rich like you, can you put me through?

I am humble in all ways and l am a good learner too! grin
Lastpage
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 6:56pm On Jul 16, 2009
@BAC, please take it easy. There would always be the less privileged amongst us.However, we must meet in the middle of the road as best as its OK for both parties.Some folks are just mad and angry at Landlords, some landlords too are bad, they want another three years right after the first, hence the ask the current tenants to move, that's not cool, in London and in the  US, you get sued "instan ta". so lets all be humane. We'll get there.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 7:07pm On Jul 16, 2009
@lastpage,
I think you had mention the same point, govt. should be responsive and that's an approach to a lasting solution. If govt. could remove the attendant attractive ROI, investors would diversify further away from real estate. That's true, only problem is, we currently have an insensitive govt. who tries to make us feel responsible for it's failures. This law is one of such example of govt.S bad behavioural partarn in Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by MAURI: 8:19pm On Jul 16, 2009
why would anybody charge 2 year rent?
did they pay you in advance for 2 years where you work?
so where are you supposed to get 1.5million rent from when you take home 200k?
borrow or what?

- The reason anybody would charge 2 year rent is, because in an environment as ours, the chances of default is extremely  high.

did they pay you in advance for 2 years where you work
?
Nope, you are not paid 2 years in advance. What you could do is; Go to the bank and take a loan and pay 2 digit interest rates. Same ordeal property owners are facing having taken loans to build the properties.

So where are you supposed to get 1.5million rent from when you take home 200k?borrow or what?

You could go look for a property that is commensurate with your pocket. I am sure there are houses below 1.5 million.

All I am trying to say is that, there are other social economic issues to be resolved before coming to the issue of advance rental payments. We do not have in place the socio-economic safety net i.e. social security, un-employment benefit etc, that otherwise will offer both the landlord and tenant a breathing space in the event that the tenant is temporarily unable to meet his tenancy obligations.
I am talking from experience, I have properties in Nigeria. I have been trying to eject one of the tenants for the past one year. I have given them a grace of 8 months rental, ‘cos my lawyer says that will make then leave sooner. And for the same reason, we have gone to court and they signed an undertaking sanctioned by the court saying the will leave by April ’09. Not having paid rental for eight months prior to April, they are still in my property as I write now. We had to wait for the time to expire, and then get the court to have the agreement doc signed by the CJ, and then get the martials to execute the court’s decision. That is if we eventually get the court’ final decision, ‘cos the court sitting has been postponed a few times, ‘cos the judge was ill. In the meantime this people are still occupying my property without paying any rent.
There’s also another one with similar story, he hasn’t paid his rents for 7 months either.
Imagine I would have taken a loan from the bank to build the property, relying on the cashflows from the rents to upset the bank loan; I will be experiencing a micro crisis at the moment.
For all I care, the Lagos state government can pass a law compelling property owners to charge rents weekly. On the other hand, there has to be some sort of balance to defend the interests of both property owners and tenants. I.e. they might want to include in the law, that in the event that a tenant defaults on a month’s rental, his/her tenancy will be automatically forfeited and will have another 2 weeks to vacate the property. And no prolongation of issues by the courts exposing the property owner to more revenue loses that will not be not be compensated for by any institution.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by lastpage: 9:53pm On Jul 16, 2009
@MAURI
For all I care, the Lagos state government can pass a law compelling property owners to charge rents weekly. On the other hand, there has to be some sort of balance to defend the interests of both property owners and tenants. I.e. they might want to include in the law, that in the event that a tenant defaults on a month’s rental, his/her tenancy will be automatically forfeited and will have another 2 weeks to vacate the property. And no prolongation of issues by the courts exposing the property owner to more revenue loses that will not be not be compensated for by any institution.
Or better still, since its the government that is not playing its part & is rather hasty is this promulgation, they should accept responsibility to pay the House-owner, as done in obodo Oyinbo! grin

Lastpage

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recommended Estates Where You Can Buy A House Or Land In Lagos And Ogun / Earn A Life Time Stream Of Increasing Income When You Invest In Oceanna. / Affordable Red Clay Bricks 100% Fired Clay!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.