Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,260 members, 7,957,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:29 PM

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine (34035 Views)

10 Cars That Are Powered By The Engine Of Another Manufacturer / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? / These Are Signs That Tell You It's Time To Change The Engine Air Filter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
Google undecided
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Reference(m): 6:13pm On Feb 21, 2016
No effect whatsoever.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by number75(m): 6:20pm On Feb 21, 2016
it has no effect just have a good maintenance culture and if it consumes fuel that means your injector is bad. don't try changing the compressor to bigger one cos d one DAT comes with d car is d same capacity with your engine ,so when changing d compressor make sure its d same capacity as d one u removed. enjoy ur c180 sealed engine its a machine.

1 Like

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by banmee(m): 6:23pm On Feb 21, 2016
honmusa:
compressor is a considerable big load on the engine and dmyour engine need to work relatively harder to accommodate this extra load and still maintain the same performance .This extra load on the engine will result to increase in rate of wear and tear in the engine compared to engine without compressor load .The effect will even been more if the engine lack the necessary maintance requirement.
I will advice you only use the AC when necessary and adhere to schedule maintaince standard required for the car.

Completely disagree. It is a Nigerian myth. As long as your service the vehicle as instructed by the manufacturer you have nothing to worry about. The AC is not there for decoration. It's use has been taken into account in the design of the vehicle. Most of what you do when motoring affects the engine anyway. Speeding, stopping, starting, towing, etc This is why the oil used when servicing it is very important. Also, it is actually cheaper to use the AC than winding your window down. What most Nigerians don't understand is you get a better gas mileage when driving on highway than when driving through the city. Which is what most people do.

5 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by seyiaderinto(m): 6:30pm On Feb 21, 2016
Everyone said right it only tells slightly on your fuel dats whenever u are in traffic
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 21, 2016
For those clinging blindly to Mercedes-Benz, who assume the use of air conditioning has no adverse effect on the engine, think again.

All engines have a service life. Every load placed on an engine WILL reduce its working life by a certain amount.

Alternators, power steering pumps, superchargers, aircon compressors are all additional loads. Even the weight of the vehicle itself is a load, so is the gearbox, worse when too high a gear is selected for a relatively low speed. The more load is placed upon an engine, the harder it has to work. The main bearings of the crankshaft are the most stressed parts of any engine. When the aircon compressor is active, the crankshaft will ALWAYS automatically attempt to move away from the direction of load and rotation, regardless of engine manufacturer. This is the thrust angle, and is what causes crankshaft bearings to wear more on one end than the other, giving the characteristic engine "knocked" scenario.

This is NOT my opinion, it's a scientific fact.

And it's something our dear Nigerian mechanics picked up very early, as far back as in the 1970's. Once an engine had had a crank regrind, and was fitted with undersize bearings, they tended to NOT fit the aircon compressor, stating "the engine no fit carry am". As a child, I wondered what they meant, and it was when I was in my mid teens I understood. A reground crank is thinner on the main journals, as metal has been removed. So statistically, it is weaker than a standard crank with thicker journals and will be MORE LIKELY to suffer damage from over loading due to an increased thrust angle. Our mechanics were NOT trained back then, but they understood the concept of increased load and thrust, and how it acted on a reground crank.

All engines are designed to give a reasonable service life, and are built with loading taken into consideration. Unles you're really anal, you won't think of turning off your aircon to increase engine service life (who does that?) but it's something to be aware of. At some point in time, your engine will either require a rebuild, or a replacement. Sometimes as early as 200,000 miles, or as late as 500,000 miles. There's a massive variation in the service life of automobile engines, we just accept it as normal wear and tear, and seldom question WHY.

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Sunymoore(m): 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
No problem whatsoever.. 'Normal' compressors add like 3HP to the engine, so that's not a heavy load to kill a reasonably maintained engine..
The things is, the engine and the cooling fan will work more harder while stationary and in traffic, than high way..

1 Like

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
Siena:
For those clinging blindly to Mercedes-Benz, who assume the use of air conditioning has no adverse effect on the engine, think again.

All engines have a service life. Every load placed on an engine WILL reduce its working life by a certain amount.

Alternators, power steering pumps, superchargers, aircon compressors are all additional loads. Even the weight of the vehicle itself is a load, so is the gearbox, worse when too high a gear is selected for a relatively low speed. The more load is placed upon an engine, the harder it has to work. The main bearings of the crankshaft are the most stressed parts of any engine. When the aircon compressor is active, the crankshaft will ALWAYS automatically attempt to move away from the direction of load and rotation, regardless of engine manufacturer. This is the thrust angle, and is what causes crankshaft bearings to wear more on one end than the other, giving the characteristic engine "knocked" scenario.

And it's something our dear Nigerian mechanics picked up very early, as far back as in the 1970's. Once an engine had had a crank regrind, and was fitted with undersize bearings, they tended to NOT fit the aircon compressor, stating "the engine no fit carry am". As a child, I wondered what they meant, and it was when I was in my mid teens I understood. A reground crank is thinner on the main journals, as metal has been removed. So statistically, it is weaker than a standard crank with thicker journals and will be MORE LIKELY to suffer damage from over loading due to an increased thrust angle. Our mechanics were NOT trained back then, but they understood the concept of increased load and thrust, and how it acted on a reground crank.

All engines are designed to give a reasonable service life, and are built with loading taken into consideration. Unles you're really anal, you won't think of turning off your aircon to increase engine service life (who does that?) but it's something to be aware of. At some point in time, your engine will either require a rebuild, or a replacement. Sometimes as early as 200,000 miles, or as late as 500,000 miles. There's a massive variation in the service life of automobile engines, we just accept it as normal wear and tear, and seldom question WHY.

In others words.. It affects engine
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by tkovie2002(m): 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
bettercreature:
You actually dont know anything

Mr. KNOW IT ALL.. First of all, Do you own a car? If you do, please tell us what you know then.

2 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by esan1(m): 6:39pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ur engine will only add more presure, always change ur engine oil
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Stancity(m): 6:41pm On Feb 21, 2016
Your Maintenance culture determines how you enjoy your car in general whether with AC or normal drive.. Once you stick to the Recommended maintenance by the car manufacture you are good to go.
For me, my Ac is on once i feel hot while driving and for sure fuel guage 20 litres or above.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by tkovie2002(m): 6:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
Siena:

The bolded says it all. Thanks Mr. Siena
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 6:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
adeniyisavage:

In others words.. It affects engine

Yes, it does. But the effects can be described as negligible, all parameters being equal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Stallione(m): 6:45pm On Feb 21, 2016
it doesnt affect the engine atal atal,just change engine oil every 2months,depending on how u move abt,so it'l make the engine smooth when on,i do change my corrolla every 2months,atimes 3 and it must be 2nd wk of the 3rd months.Some people advice u not 2put ac when ua not in montion,dats not true,on ur ac anytime u want as long as its factory fitted.

2 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 6:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
Stallione:
it doesnt affect the engine atal atal,just change engine oil every 2months,depending on how u move abt,so it'l make the engine smooth when on,i do change my corrolla every 2months,atimes 3 and it must be 2nd wk of the 3rd months.Some people advice u not 2put ac when ua not in montion,dats not true,on ur ac anytime u want as long as its factory fitted.

You must be spending as much on oil and filter changes as you do on fuel.

Your Toyota Corolla needs to be serviced very 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. You're simply wasting money.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by amzee(m): 6:51pm On Feb 21, 2016
It doesnt have any effect on your car if your engine is in good and stable condition. Dont use your car A/C if you know that your car engine is smoking,Alternator not charging,A/C belt making noise due to its looseness.

Car A/C Expert.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Stancity(m): 6:55pm On Feb 21, 2016
Siena:

Your Toyota Corolla needs to be serviced very 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. You're simply wasting money.
Yeah he's wasting money indeed. I wanted putting mouth on that before your comment came in.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by edoziebobbyyahoocom(m): 7:02pm On Feb 21, 2016
It has effects because of late my tundra's engine sound changes whenever i put on the ac. Taking it for check up very soon.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by cocoduck: 7:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
For those who say that constant usage of ac causes the engine to wear and tear, u are very wrong. Wear and tear is caused by using the wrong engine oil and not changing it regularly
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by cocoduck: 7:12pm On Feb 21, 2016
edoziebobbyyahoocom:
It has effects because of late my tundra's engine sound changes whenever i put on the ac. Taking it for check up very soon.
it is normal
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by cocoduck: 7:13pm On Feb 21, 2016
amzee:
It doesnt have any effect on your car if your engine is in good and stable condition. Dont use your car A/C if you know that your car engine is smoking,Alternator not charging,A/C belt making noise due to its looseness.

Car A/C Expert.
excelent
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Stancity(m): 7:35pm On Feb 21, 2016
edoziebobbyyahoocom:
Sound of each car is expected to change whenever the AC is turned on due to the extra load of the compressor on the engine but in some case where the sound is abnormal or its coupled with vibration then you need to check the car out..

1 Like

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by santino09: 7:44pm On Feb 21, 2016
[color=#006600][/color]Actually it depends, it's an extra load on the engine especially when driving slowly or when the car is not in motion , but if u are already driving fast on the highway maybe somewhere above abt 60km/h it doesn't matter anymore as long as ur car is in good shape and well maintained, even on fuel consumption.

Ok

1 Like

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by charlesadeoye(m): 8:04pm On Feb 21, 2016
Stancity:
Yeah he's wasting money indeed. I wanted putting mouth on that before your comment came in.
lol. he is not wasting money. He uses a 20w-50 oil perhaps, so what do you think? The oil viscocity thins off after a 1000 mile or so...
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 21, 2016
Consistent A/C use will definitely reduce engine life even though it's a negligible amount.

Comfort should not be negotiated. Enjoy your A/C as much as possible.

4 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Egie4real: 8:55pm On Feb 21, 2016
Walexz02:
Just make sure you do your normal maintenance.. The effect will be minimal and negligible .
And please don't on the Ac when the car is not in motion, that too I think would help.
Whether the car is in motion or not I think it's the same effect which is more fuel consumption.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by chux67: 8:57pm On Feb 21, 2016
why not ask the maker
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Stancity(m): 9:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
charlesadeoye:
lol. he is not wasting money. He uses a 20w-50 oil perhaps, so what do you think? The oil viscocity thins off after a 1000 mile or so...
You maybe right but he may have another view.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by shenney: 10:01pm On Feb 21, 2016
tkovie2002:
I don't think it has any effect whatsoever. The manufacturer of the car must have factored in the load of an air conditioner on the engine and made sure that the engine is capable of running even at full capacity with A/C on without having any effects as long as proper maintenance is done before selling to consumers.

Most of us in Nigeria don't even run our engine to full capacity due to traffic jams and bad roads so that shouldn't be an issue. I feel the "increased wear and tear" of an engine due to constant use of air conditioner is an unfounded Nigerian idea.
Exactly!!!.. You ve said my mind.. I have a toyota camry that the AC is always on anytime the car is working and I can tell you the car is almost 4 years now with no side effect and no much difference in the fuel consumption rate with AC or not. Its just the nigerian poverty mentality. Please enjoy this life. My engine is very sound.

3 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 21, 2016
shenney:

Exactly!!!.. You ve said my mind.. I have a toyota camry that the AC is always on anytime the car is working and I can tell you the car is almost 4 years now with no side effect and no much difference in the fuel consumption rate with AC or not. Its just the nigerian poverty mentality. Please enjoy this life. My engine is very sound.

It's not Nigerian poverty mentality, it's a world thing, and a scientific fact.

Any load placed upon a rotating assembly, be it gasoline, diesel or electric, will shorten it's working life. It's a negligible amount, but this thread did NOT ask specificly how much constant use of aircon could have affect on an engine. It just asked IF it DOES have any effect, to which the answer is YES.

The fact your gas mileage reduces with the aircon on is indicative of the engine working harder to sustain the additional load. More work = more wear.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by GoldEnyong(m): 11:42pm On Feb 21, 2016
abere888:

No, it has no effect on the engine but it consumes fuel ⛽

Bro it has. To learn more put on your gen set and turn ON your AC then watch the reaction of the Gen set compared to the one running on normal load or when you turned the AC Off. That will teach you more.
like the person before you said, use it sparingly.

1 Like

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Stallione(m): 11:46pm On Feb 21, 2016
Siena:

nop,i dnt waist so much money,i change those with less than 3k every 3months which is still ok.Moreover corrolla doesnt consume fuel atal atal,lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2016 Mercedes-Benz S550: A Review Of Olowo Eko, Oba Akinolu's Official Car / Pal-V Launches First Commercial Flying Car / Spot The Difference Between These Chinese Copycat Cars And Their Original Models

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.