Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,130 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine (32915 Views)

10 Cars That Are Powered By The Engine Of Another Manufacturer / How Good Is Flushing The Engine Of Your Car? / These Are Signs That Tell You It's Time To Change The Engine Air Filter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by IkpuMmadu: 10:09am On Feb 25, 2016
ernecy:
grin cheesy bros, thanks; I was saving to buy a corolla when I saw this thread. I have been wondering why people are going for c180 with all the negative myth about Benz fuel consumption. How much can I get it here in Naija and cotonou .you don make me fall in love with this car. Thanks

Bros ...don't mind them...they will say that benz consumes fuel ..pls ask that person has he ever driven Benz for one full month consecutively ...Benz produce fine cars

It was those days that flat booth consume fuel...bros this car won't be upto a million in Benin Republic I am guesstimating ....which includes the custom duty ...this is one car you can drive the engine for 10yrs ..it is rare to see this c180 that has smoky engine ..their engines
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by ernecy(m): 10:14am On Feb 25, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

This the model I am talking ...this the mist rugged model..the other model is also good but it's a bit pricey ..but this one is the one I drive and it is superb
You don make me fall in love with this car. I was wondering why people were buy the c180 with all the myth about Benz not until I saw this thread. I presently drive a kia Rio, but
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by IkpuMmadu: 10:37am On Feb 25, 2016
ernecy:

You don make me fall in love with this car. I was wondering why people were buy the c180 with all the myth about Benz not until I saw this thread. I presently drive a kia Rio, but

You are talking kia ...I have a Nissan and I drive a C class . Oga you will not drive that kia of yours again when you have driven C class ..the automatic is superb .... They say it consumes fuel...DONT MIND THEM

the interior if that car is awesome ..the central locking system uses air not this cheap engineering that asian cars have ..the steering and handling awesome

Drive a C class and understand that kia or asian cars are just piece if papper
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by chidooh1: 3:17pm On Feb 25, 2016
My brother drives that car, when he put it up for sale his mechanic discouraged him, till today the car runs like new one. I will start saving for C180 though the Mazda 626 i bought last year still never offended me for replacement, lol, maybe i would look for cheaper registered one.

2 Likes

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by ernecy(m): 3:19pm On Feb 25, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

You are talking kia ...I have a Nissan and I drive a C class . Oga you will not drive that kia of yours again when you have driven C class ..the automatic is superb .... They say it consumes fuel...DONT MIND THEM

the interior if that car is awesome ..the central locking system uses air not this cheap engineering that asian cars have ..the steering and handling awesome

what about the WD system, is it FWD, RWD or 4WD?. If they is one thing I hate about my present car is the front hub doesnt last me 7 months and I if travel long distance, like let's say PH to Sokoto the front hub and bearing will need to be changed.

Regards
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by ernecy(m): 3:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

what about the WD system, is it FWD, RWD or 4WD?. If they is one thing I hate about my present car is the front hub doesnt last me 7 months and I if travel long distance, like let's say PH to Sokoto the front hub and bearing will need to be changed.

You say Kia na paper.. grin cheesy. True talk sha!!

Could you believe that I can't do more than 130km/he or else the Kia go wan lift-off from the ground, so no matter the distance na 120km/hr highest speed.

Most importantly what is difference between c180, c220 and c230

Regards
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by erico2k2(m): 9:51am On Feb 26, 2016
honmusa:
compressor is a considerable big load on the engine and dmyour engine need to work relatively harder to accommodate this extra load and still maintain the same performance .This extra load on the engine will result to increase in rate of wear and tear in the engine compared to engine without compressor load .The effect will even been more if the engine lack the necessary maintance requirement.
I will advice you only use the AC when necessary and adhere to schedule maintaince standard required for the car.
Are you not missing something ??
This was true of first generation cars however modern cars have come a long way to overcome the effects you ilustrated there. They evented the clever clutch systems as a component into the compressor to reduce loads. This works at a proportional rate with your cabin temperature. Same way your electric radiator fan works. Have a look at ur compressor see if it's constantly turning when you have achieved the required setting in temperature within the car.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by erico2k2(m): 9:52am On Feb 26, 2016
ernecy:

You say Kia na paper.. grin cheesy. True talk sha!!

Could you believe that I can't do more than 130km/he or else the Kia go wan lift-off from the ground, so no matter the distance na 120km/hr highest speed.

Most importantly what is difference between c180, c220 and c230

Regards
Kia are toys ahaha sorry to owners
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by Stancity(m): 10:27am On Feb 26, 2016
THREAD DERAILED...

Moving to next one..... sad sad sad
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by ernecy(m): 10:51am On Feb 26, 2016
erico2k2:

Kia are toys ahaha sorry to owners
true mehn!!!. I need a new experience,

na Benz on my mind
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by honmusa(m): 2:10pm On Mar 03, 2016
erico2k2:

Are you not missing something ??
This was true of first generation cars however modern cars have come a long way to overcome the effects you ilustrated there. They evented the clever clutch systems as a component into the compressor to reduce loads. This works at a proportional rate with your cabin temperature. Same way your electric radiator fan works. Have a look at ur compressor see if it's constantly turning when you have achieved the required setting in temperature within the car.
your compressor clutch current requirement is around 4-5 Amp for most car. Tell me that u don't your feel the effect of drag on your car performance whenever your Ac compressor is engage especially when moving from rest. The essence of the compressor clutch system is to act as switching system to be triggering on or off the Ac compressor whenever necessary and note that the switching off and on effect is to protect the evoparator from over freezing .
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by erico2k2(m): 9:38pm On Mar 07, 2016
honmusa:

your compressor clutch current requirement is around 4-5 Amp for most car. Tell me that u don't your feel the effect of drag on your car performance whenever your Ac compressor is engage especially when moving from rest. The essence of the compressor clutch system is to act as switching system to be triggering on or off the Ac compressor whenever necessary and note that the switching off and on effect is to protect the evoparator from over freezing .
The AC compressor in a car drives the air conditioner. Unlike an AC compressor in the home, it is not driven by an electric motor. Instead, it is directly driven by a belt attached to the engine. An AC compressor uses a lot of energy, so it is not practical to run the compressor all the time. The AC compressor clutch serves to turn the air conditioning on only when it is needed.
ie there is nothing like freezing over, the gas involved goes from liquid to its original gas state.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by sokr8: 9:58pm On Aug 08, 2016
my question goes like this, I have a Nissan primera without factory A.C, so I fixed a direct Belgium engine(complete), the engine came with a compressor, but my car originally didn't come with factory A.C. so I want to fix the A.C components, because the car has space for fixing an A.C. Will it have effect on the engine, I don't think it will since the engine is built to work with A.C unlike the engine I removed that didn't come with A.C. Please I need the input of the house. thanks
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by honmusa(m): 4:35am On Aug 10, 2016
sokr8:
my question goes like this, I have a Nissan primera without factory A.C, so I fixed a direct Belgium engine(complete), the engine came with a compressor, but my car originally didn't come with factory A.C. so I want to fix the A.C components, because the car has space for fixing an A.C. Will it have effect on the engine, I don't think it will since the engine is built to work with A.C unlike the engine I removed that didn't come with A.C. Please I need the input of the house. thanks
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by erico2k2(m): 9:47pm On Aug 10, 2016
bettercreature:
You actually dont know anything
He actually said the right thing,The load the Ac compressor piles o n the Engine is only notable via Fuel consumption and that's still myth among Engineers, cos the drag of your car if all windows are open causes a resistance which itself piles load on the car and therefore more fuel is consumed as well.This has been demonstrated and well documented in Top Gear if you into that.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by erico2k2(m): 9:49pm On Aug 10, 2016
sokr8:
No it would not as it has the capacity to carry that compressor.
Re: Does Constant Use Of AC Have Any Effect On The Engine by timecon(m): 9:30am On Oct 02, 2016
Apart from the fuel consumption, I think it has no effect on the engine.

The manufacturer must have put the loads on engine into calculation.

For the fact that you put on your AC does not mean that your AC compressor is constantly running.

The AC compressor has it working time and resting time as long as the thermostat is calling for heating / cooling.

Follow the vehicle schedule maintenance system and don't wait for a breakdown before you visit a workshop to avoid downtime.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abuja And Environs, Remotely Follow Your Car Repairs Online. / Innoson At The Intra-african Trade Fair Going On In Egypt-photos / Would You Buy This Beautifully Restored 1972 BMW 3.0 CSL For N35.7m? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.