Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,179 members, 7,811,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

Why Some Christians Live In Poverty - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Some Christians Live In Poverty (3202 Views)

How Many Christians Live In Ontario Canada ? / Why Some Christians Backslide And Never Come Back To Christ. / 5 Things some Christians Wish Jesus Didn't Say (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 10:16am On Feb 22, 2016
It's a worrisome trend I see these days, and it makes me wonder. Some folks wait on God to make them rich or successful, and all they did was to visit churches, make confessions and maybe get excited at what the preacher said about God, with regards blessing His children financially.

A large group of Christians want divine favor and don't even don't even mind if they really deserve what they're hoping for. We just want to get what we haven't worked for. We fill up churches & camps everyday, crusade, finance meetings etc for unmerited favor, overnight success, etc. We expect a miracle on anything finance, without doing what he says about finances, like savings and other principles the bible spoke of.

Now, there are miracle meetings where ministers of God prayed to God for 'miracle monies', and boooom... these miracles did happen (Whether some us believe that or not, is immaterial here). These are exceptional cases, and obviously, one cannot bank on these forever. God has got principles in His Word, and He sticks to every bit of it, whether we know these principles or not.

Down the line, because alot of Christians don't know God's financial principles, and after so long a time in churches, and giving, paying their tithes, making confessions etc, they end up broke or frustrated or both. They quickly blame Pastors for 'deceiving' them, or on a grand scale, they blame God, for not "picking their calls"

see what the good book wrote

Jeremiah 5:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the Lord, nor the judgment of their God.

notice the reason for their poverty.
1. foolishness
2. lack of knowledge of God's ways

Ok, fine, we've given in church, prayed, confessed, yet 'nothing'. It's still the same old story. We sometimes fail to see that God has made us rich in all ways imaginable, and therefore, it is legally impossible in the sight of God for Christians to be poor.

When we received salvation in Christ Jesus, we received an inheritance, whether we knew it or not. Jesus didn't come to save us for nothing, He came to save us for a purpose, which is to bring us into fellowship, hence the inheritance. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a christian to be poor, a christian can only be IGNORANT of his riches, because to be a christian, is to be in ONENESS with Jesus Christ, and therefore a joint-heir with Jesus. This is why describing a Christian as "poor" is a misnomer.

Proverbs 13:18 The Complete Jewish Bible
18 Poverty and shame are for him who won't be taught , but he who heeds reproof will be honored.

Therefore, the only thing that keeps a Christian in poverty, is his ignorance. If then we now know we're rich in Jesus Christ, the next thing is knowing His financial principles.

God's Word tells us to
1. Give, and receive
2. It tells us to save
3. it tells us to work, or we won't have what to give/eat

In other words, it tells us to be financially smart. Get the knowledge of the word, know what the Word says about your finances, activate them, and you'd marvel at God's provision for you.

Job 36:11 New Living Translation (NLT)
11 “If they listen and obey God, they will be blessed with prosperity throughout their lives. All their years will be pleasant.

Prosperity is a blessing. Walk in it. Know the Word for yourself.

amen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:24am On Feb 22, 2016
Space Booked

1 Like

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by asalimpo(m): 10:52am On Feb 22, 2016
Op thanks for sharing. This is better news in the wake of our sliding currency and constricting economy.

1 Like

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Skako(m): 11:18am On Feb 22, 2016
that means all Christian that are poor is for not obeying God?
haha Op which drug can I prescribe for u bcs something Don hit u for head

1 Like

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 11:33am On Feb 22, 2016
asalimpo:
Op thanks for sharing. This is better news in the wake of our sliding currency and constricting economy.

Yeah.. our economy is not of this world... Remember Isaac?Joseph?
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 11:33am On Feb 22, 2016
Skako:
that means all Christian that are poor is for not obeying God?
haha Op which drug can I prescribe for u bcs something Don hit u for head

the ignorant ones will always wallow in their ignorance... But, if they're taught, they'd know better...but if after being taught, and they reject knowledge, then fine.

However, if you've been taught right, you'll think right, and the result of that is, you'll talk right. Moreover, when you talk right, you'll act right. When you talk right and act right, your life will turn out right.

If you must be poor, let it be your Choice, not being poor by the influences and circumstances of the elements of this world.
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Nobody: 1:11pm On Feb 22, 2016
Poverty is subjective.
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 22, 2016
Satan is that you?

2 Likes

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Newnas(m): 2:25pm On Feb 22, 2016
now I know why Christians will do anything for money, and the only righteous Christian is the wealthy Christian.

Now I know why owning a private jet is a sign of prophethood in Christianity even if those jets are used for smuggling ammunition.

Now I know why church services are the same monotonous dose of placebo giving people 'reasons' why they are poor.

Now, I have stopped wondering. thanks alot OP for shedding some light on the reason why Christian societies -both in Nigeria and outside- are the most aggressive in their search for wealth.

However, tell me, was Jesus himself a wealthy man? how many men of God did the Bible -as distorted as it is - describe as wealthy such that they were known for their wealth?

2 Likes

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by vooks: 2:30pm On Feb 22, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Poverty is subjective.

Missed you my negro(no homo)
Whatsup?
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by vooks: 2:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
[size=1pt]
Gombs:
It's a worrisome trend I see these days, and it makes me wonder. Some folks wait on God to make them rich or successful, and all they did was to visit churches, make confessions and maybe get excited at what the preacher said about God, with regards blessing His children financially.

A large group of Christians want divine favor and don't even don't even mind if they really deserve what they're hoping for. We just want to get what we haven't worked for. We fill up churches & camps everyday, crusade, finance meetings etc for unmerited favor, overnight success, etc. We expect a miracle on anything finance, without doing what he says about finances, like savings and other principles the bible spoke of.

Now, there are miracle meetings where ministers of God prayed to God for 'miracle monies', and boooom... these miracles did happen (Whether some us believe that or not, is immaterial here). These are exceptional cases, and obviously, one cannot bank on these forever. God has got principles in His Word, and He sticks to every bit of it, whether we know these principles or not.

Down the line, because alot of Christians don't know God's financial principles, and after so long a time in churches, and giving, paying their tithes, making confessions etc, they end up broke or frustrated or both. They quickly blame Pastors for 'deceiving' them, or on a grand scale, they blame God, for not "picking their calls"

see what the good book wrote

Jeremiah 5:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the Lord, nor the judgment of their God.

notice the reason for their poverty.
1. foolishness
2. lack of knowledge of God's ways

Ok, fine, we've given in church, prayed, confessed, yet 'nothing'. It's still the same old story. We sometimes fail to see that God has made us rich in all ways imaginable, and therefore, it is legally impossible in the sight of God for Christians to be poor.

When we received salvation in Christ Jesus, we received an inheritance, whether we knew it or not. Jesus didn't come to save us for nothing, He came to save us for a purpose, which is to bring us into fellowship, hence the inheritance. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a christian to be poor, a christian can only be IGNORANT of his riches, because to be a christian, is to be in ONENESS with Jesus Christ, and therefore a joint-heir with Jesus. This is why describing a Christian as "poor" is a misnomer.

Proverbs 13:18 The Complete Jewish Bible
18 Poverty and shame are for him who won't be taught , but he who heeds reproof will be honored.

Therefore, the only thing that keeps a Christian in poverty, is his ignorance. If then we now know we're rich in Jesus Christ, the next thing is knowing His financial principles.

God's Word tells us to
1. Give, and receive
2. It tells us to save
3. it tells us to work, or we won't have what to give/eat

In other words, it tells us to be financially smart. Get the knowledge of the word, know what the Word says about your finances, activate them, and you'd marvel at God's provision for you.

Job 36:11 New Living Translation (NLT)
11 “If they listen and obey God, they will be blessed with prosperity throughout their lives. All their years will be pleasant.

Prosperity is a blessing. Walk in it. Know the Word for yourself.

amen
[/size]
Gombs aka Amos Jack,
God hates divorce
Jesus taught us to look further than Moses; 'in the beginning'
Can we say that the only reason Christians divorce and separate from their spouses is IGNORANCE?
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Nobody: 2:36pm On Feb 22, 2016
vooks:

Missed you my negro(no homo)
Whatsup?
Same here bro. Just okay. Hope you're though.
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by vooks: 2:49pm On Feb 22, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Same here bro. Just okay. Hope you're though.
Thank you, I'm fine. Did you get Lara Croft Go?
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 4:27pm On Feb 22, 2016
sonOfLucifer:
Poverty is subjective.

Hey bro!

Mind explaining?
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by An2elect2(f): 4:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
Newnas:
now I know why Christians will do anything for money, and the only righteous Christian is the wealthy Christian.

Now I know why owning a private jet is a sign of prophethood in Christianity even if those jets are used for smuggling ammunition.

Now I know why church services are the same monotonous dose of placebo giving people 'reasons' why they are poor.

Now, I have stopped wondering. thanks alot OP for shedding some light on the reason why Christian societies -both in Nigeria and outside- are the most aggressive in their search for wealth.

However, tell me, was Jesus himself a wealthy man? how many men of God did the Bible -as distorted as it is - describe as wealthy such that they were known for their wealth?
Are you minding the liar? He is a fal$e teacher, dont expect anything true from his lips.

Am i not a christian? Don't i know Christ? Only a fool will receive this crap as word of God
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by nynbrada: 6:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
Newnas:
now I know why Christians will do anything for money,

what an infantile generalization. Does every Christian hold the same view as that of the OP.
And pray tell, what ever in the Op made you come to such a reprobate conclusion such as these.

and the only righteous Christian is the wealthy Christian.

He never said that, just your own distorted view.

Sheer cognitive distortion. Help yourself man.

Same old "cognitive distortion"
Young man you obviously need Christ in you life.

However, tell me, was Jesus himself a wealthy man?

2 Cor 8:9 - For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, that you through his poverty might become rich.

Yeah! He was as you can see from the scripture above. As all his needs were miracleously meet by the Father.
As being wealthy simply means having ones need being met and not owning private jets like you wrongly surmised.

how many men of God did the Bible -as distorted as it is - describe as wealthy such that they were known for their wealth?

Papa A.B, Isaac, Jacob, David, Solomon -a stupendiously rich king- and of course some other patriach in the Bilbe.
Moreso, the Bible is replete with scriptures on prosperity.
And if you can't deal with it, don't blame us blame God as i want to presume your atheistic or islamic nature will reflexly obey.

the Bible - as distorted as it is -

Please, graciously supply us proof for this your distorted position. Then we can take you serious, or forever hold your peace.

JESUS IS LORD.

3 Likes

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 7:12pm On Feb 22, 2016
An2elect2:
Are you minding the liar? He is a fal$e teacher, dont expect anything true from his lips.

Am i not a christian? Don't i know Christ? Only a fool will receive this crap as word of God

It'd have been wise of you to counter the OP, if you can... else, read and pass on
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by nynbrada: 7:17pm On Feb 22, 2016
An2elect2:

My sister, you may not agree with him, but the rigth thing to do is to counter his claims with superior scriptural arguement.
Rather than call him a false teacher and joining forces with an unbeliever to condem your brother in the Lord.

The same person you are joining forces with has accussed your Bible of being distorted, what do you have to say about that?

Moreso, the Bible is extravagantly adorned with scriptures on prosperity.
Maybe the only problem is the way it is being presented. Like..

1. If you are poor as a Christian, then something is wrong with you.

2. The prosperity preachers seems to glorify prosperity and riches more than salvation and holiness before the Lord.

So i'm of the view that they have to find a balance and also stop making it look like if you are a Christian and you are poor then something is wrong.

Stay blessed.
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by An2elect2(f): 8:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
nynbrada:

My sister, you may not agree with him, but the rigth thing to do is to counter his claims with superior scriptural arguement.
Rather than call him a false teacher and joining forces with an unbeliever to condem your brother in the Lord.

The same person you are joining forces with has accussed your Bible of being distorted, what do you have to say about that?

Moreso, the Bible is extravagantly adorned with scriptures on prosperity.
Maybe the only problem is the way it is being presented. Like..

1. If you are poor as a Christian, then something is wrong with you.

2. The prosperity preachers seems to glorify prosperity and riches more than salvation and holiness before the Lord.

So i'm of the view that they have to find a balance and also stop making it look like if you are a Christian and you are poor then something is wrong.

Stay blessed.
That has been done severally on this forum but the dog will always return to its vomit I will not waste my time with the same people over and over again.

As for the poster i quoted i only sided with him based on his post on this thread. If at any time i see him speaking against the truth i'll do what is needed.

Lastly, Gombs is not my brother in the Lord. God forbid.
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:34pm On Feb 22, 2016
An2elect2:
That has been done severally on this forum but the dog will always return to its vomit I will not waste my time with the same people over and over again.

As for the poster i quoted i only sided with him based on his post on this thread. If at any time i see him speaking against the truth i'll do what is needed.

I can't help but wonder how you feel when you call yourself a christian!

I sense a lot of anger and hate in your post.

Spewing trash and all...

You need help!

1 Like

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by An2elect2(f): 8:46pm On Feb 22, 2016
Kenny4lyfe:

I can't help but wonder how you feel when you call yourself a christian!

I sense a lot of anger and hate in your post.

Spewing trash and all...

You need help!
ok
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by nynbrada: 9:21pm On Feb 22, 2016
Gombs:

Down the line, because alot of Christians don't know God's financial principles, and after so long a time in churches, and giving, paying their tithes, making confessions etc, they end up broke or frustrated or both. They quickly blame Pastors for 'deceiving' them, or on a grand scale, they blame God, for not "picking their call.

Ok, fine, we've given in church, prayed, confessed, yet 'nothing'. It's still the same old story.

Bro. Gombs, don't you think that a Christian that has done some of the afore mentioned things you talked about e.g, giving, praying and confessing the word of God and yet nothing seem to happen.

Don't you think the problem may lie in the fact that:

1. Active and revelatory knowledge of "faith" is not in place.

Because it is spiritually impossible to sow a seed financially and water those seeds with prayer and confession of the word by active faith and not get a result.
Like you know these spiritual principles/laws are more sure like any known law of physics.

So i personally believe that if any Christian had done the above things you talked about and yet no result, then it can be easily put down to poor conception and understanding of what na.ked and active faith is all about.

2. It could also be as a result of poor grasping of spiritual timing.
Seeing that many a time the preachers of prosperity makes it look like if you give now you will instantly reap whatever you have sown.

And these quick fix attitude being progagated by some of them pastors doesn't help the young Christians in understanding how to divinely wait for your seeds to germinate, grow and bear fruits.

Remember every seed grows at its own circle of growth. So there must be a place of divine timing and patience.

Heb 6:12 - That ye be not slotful, but followers of them who through FAITH AND PATIENCE INHERIT THE PROMISE.

Like you can see faith and patience[divine waiting and timing] is crucial if one wants to operate in this DIVINE ECONOMY.

My bro. You can now see and understand why a Christian may not appropiate some of his/her divine blessing that should come through the principle of giving and receiving.

Also note that when these two ingredients are not in place than a young Christian may start murmuring and complaining and hence start making the wrong confessions thereby invalidating the previous confessions of faith.

And these is like sowing a seed, watering it and going again to uproot the same seed and doing these over and over again, and still expects to reap a harvest from same seed. It is spiritually impossible.

Prov 15:4 - A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for a christian to be poor, a christian can only be IGNORANT of his riches, because to be a christian, is to be in ONENESS with Jesus Christ, and therefore a joint-heir with Jesus. This is why describing a Christian as "poor" is a misnomer.

I think this is where lots of folks will misunderstand you and hence see your write-up as heretical and i think we should tone down in the way we present these message.
And not make it look like - you cannot be poor as a Christian and if you are then something is wrong.

Even though i understand your drivel, yet we've got to tone down the way it is presently being served. Anything other than a mild presention in outlook will not suffice.

My brother i've been blessed by this Op of yours and i hope God's children will in faith and humilty profit from it as well.
And not let all these dumb atheistard discourage them with their doomed Ahitophel counsel like comments.

Remain blessed.

1 Like

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by nynbrada: 11:06pm On Feb 22, 2016
vooks:
[size=1pt][/size]
Gombs aka Amos Jack,
God hates divorce
Jesus taught us to look further than Moses; 'in the beginning'
Can we say that the only reason Christians divorce and separate from their spouses is IGNORANCE?

vooks, i think it's high time you stopped taking a jibe at pastor Chris because of the unsavoury turn of event in his marital life.

It is a well known fact, that there are no couple that have not had a fair share of its own joy and pains as far as reationship is concerned.

Hence pastor Chris cannot be an exemption. He is human too!

Mind you he did'nt sue for the divorce. The wife did and of course she is entitled to her right.
Though i do not subscribe to the part of taking your spouse to court. That one is unscriptural.

Moreso, don't swallow hook, line and sinker every thing the fift estate had dished out concerning his divorce saga. Trust them to have embellished it with many unfounded and concorted lines.

That said, i know you may bear grudges with Pastor Chris for some of his teachings especially the masturbation stuff, which you may find unscriptural.

Nonetheless i'll counsel you keep an open mind where he is and not get easily worked up when you read or hear some stuff from him that may not align with your theological worldview.

As he might at the end of the day be right while you happen to be wrong or vice versa.

Please get this, pastor Chris is a genuine man of God, though some of his teachings may seem controversial or downright unscriptural.
These does not in anyway negate his status as a man of God. As he has never preached in anyway to point poeple away from Christ or God our father.

At times some of these percieved theological blunders are not deliberately designed to steer the children of God away from the truth but rather they happen to be his own mistakes and fallibility as human.

What i personally do is that i take the ones i'm convinced is scriptural and the other ones i do not deem fit i humbly discard.
That is why i have my Bible and like Paul said of the Berean Christians that "they went and searched the scriptures to see if those things were true"

So for the Op i'll like to know your personal take on it with scriptural position rather than attack the messenger.

God bless.
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by nynbrada: 11:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
Gombs:

the ignorant ones will always wallow in their ignorance... But, if they're taught, they'd know better...but if after being taught, and they reject knowledge, then fine.

However, if you've been taught right, you'll think right, and the result of that is, you'll talk right. Moreover, when you talk right, you'll act right. When you talk right and act right, your life will turn out right.

If you must be poor, let it be your Choice, not being poor by the influences and circumstances of the elements of this world.

Epic !!!!
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by malvisguy212: 11:38pm On Feb 22, 2016
An2elect2:

you need to calm down lady.
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 7:25am On Feb 23, 2016
An2elect2:

1 John 3:14 New Living Translation
If we love our Christian brothers and sisters, it proves that we have passed from death to life. But a person who has no love is still dead.

you, my dear, has a questionable Christianity. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 7:49am On Feb 23, 2016
nynbrada:

Bro. Gombs, don't you think that a Christian that has done some of the afore mentioned things you talked about e.g, giving, praying and confessing the word of God and yet nothing seem to happen.

Don't you think the problem may lie in the fact that:

1. Active and revelatory knowledge of "faith" is not in place.

Because it is spiritually impossible to sow a seed financially and water those seeds with prayer and confession of the word by active faith and not get a result.

True... Some sow, and expect God to be a vending machine, they wait for a return on investment, and some hope on the money given and wait for the return. Some, then change their confessions.. some just do it because other is, they have no knowledge of what they are doing or why. Some, doesn't know how faith works.. so many reasons. That's why we teach and preach.

Like you know these spiritual principles/laws are more sure like any known law of physics.

not entirely

So i personally believe that if any Christian had done the above things you talked about and yet no result, then it can be easily put down to poor conception and understanding of what naked and active faith is all about.

i concur

2. It could also be as a result of poor grasping of spiritual timing.
Seeing that many a time the preachers of prosperity makes it look like if you give now you will instantly reap whatever you have sown.

You're veering off now. What do you mean by 'Preachers of Prosperity'?

And these quick fix attitude being progagated by some of them pastors doesn't help the young Christians in understanding how to divinely wait for your seeds to germinate, grow and bear fruits.

That's why we teach. Have you taken time to teach these? undecided
I mean, I'm here teaching, some are here trying to scatter... Imagine of those of us with knowledge of these things teach it so much so that we boot out the lies of the devil... like "God chose some people to be poor".

Ever wondered why the tithes debate kinda died of? The vehement attack on Pastors? If you've been on NL long enough, you'd know some of us put an end in the reasoning of some folks about these things... and we got personal messages of gratitude for it.

Remember every seed grows at its own circle of growth. So there must be a place of divine timing and patience.

divine timing and patience... Mind explaining more with scriptures.. the term "Divine Patience" and "Diving Timing"?

Heb 6:12 - That ye be not slotful, but followers of them who through FAITH AND PATIENCE INHERIT THE PROMISE.

Like you can see faith and patience[divine waiting and timing] is crucial if one wants to operate in this DIVINE ECONOMY.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
No o... don't turn that scripture upside down. See the Message translation
Don’t drag your feet. Be like those who stay the course with committed faith and then get everything promised to them.

My bro. You can now see and understand why a Christian may not appropiate some of his/her divine blessing that should come through the principle of giving and receiving.

Also note that when these two ingredients are not in place than a young Christian may start murmuring and complaining and hence start making the wrong confessions thereby invalidating the previous confessions of faith.

very true

And these is like sowing a seed, watering it and going again to uproot the same seed and doing these over and over again, and still expects to reap a harvest from same seed. It is spiritually impossible.

exactly

I think this is where lots of folks will misunderstand you and hence see your write-up as heretical and i think we should tone down in the way we present these message.

but... It's the truth of God's word. No point tining down the truth... That's the devil's thought. How can i be one with Jesus, the heir of all things, a joint-heir, and hence impossible for me to be poor...and you still tell me to tone down that truth?

if you think it is a lie, provide scriptures... Jesus made his kids rich, therefore a Christian is not the one trying to be rich, but one who's discovering His inheritance. For goodness sakes He said " All things are yours". Should i tone that down too? undecided

And not make it look like - you cannot be poor as a Christian and if you are then something is wrong.

I already said it up... If you're poor, it should be a choice you made (like Paul), you shouldn't be poor because of the influences and circumstances of the elements of this world.

Even though i understand your drivel, yet we've got to tone down the way it is presently being served. Anything other than a mild presention in outlook will not suffice

It's the truth. It shouldn't be toned down.

My brother i've been blessed by this Op of yours and i hope God's children will in faith and humilty profit from it as well.
And not let all these dumb atheistard discourage them with their doomed Ahitophel counsel like comments.

I know better. Thank you sir... I write here, then get to prayer... for all those who'd read this and get a change in their thinking... forget An2elect2 and company

Remain blessed.

you too sir smiley
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Skako(m): 7:53am On Feb 23, 2016
Gombs:

that means Jesus was poor bcs he did not obey God?
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 7:58am On Feb 23, 2016
malvisguy212:
you need to calm down lady.

Hey buddy!

Let her keep up.. it's but for a moment.

..but do you know there was a church in the bible, that Jesus knew of their poverty, and went on and told them "I know of your works and tribulation AND poverty, even though you are rich..."

He didn't change the poverty status of that Church ... He just passed His message, and even told them, they'd suffer more sef, that they should not fear.... He told the to be faithful unto death and he would give them a crown of life.Why didn't HE change their financial situation?

It was the duty of that church to change their poverty status.. for ALL things are theirs...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Gombs(m): 8:00am On Feb 23, 2016
Skako:
that means Jesus was poor bcs he did not obey God?

2 Corinthians 8:9New International Version (NIV)

9 For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich

Fetch the reason for His poverty in the above scripture. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by vooks: 8:29am On Feb 23, 2016
nynbrada:

vooks, i think it's high time you stopped taking a jibe at pastor Chris because of the unsavoury turn of event in his marital life.
I'm married and a candidate for divorce btw.

It is a well known fact, that there are no couple that have not had a fair share of its own joy and pains as far as reationship is concerned.

Hence pastor Chris cannot be an exemption. He is human too!
My point is to critique the health-wealth-happiness utopia peddled by Oyakhilome as being at a Christian's reach.
If there is no poverty in Christ, there equally is no divorce in Him. But the peddler of no-poverty-in-Christ has a failed marriage!
Why did it fail, is it some principles he failed to practice or what?
Mind you he did'nt sue for the divorce. The wife did and of course she is entitled to her right.
Though i do not subscribe to the part of taking your spouse to court. That one is unscriptural.
Nonsense, the point remains, both couples are to blame for a failed marriage just as they are responsible for a successful one. So I've no idea why you really have to sink this low and besmirch Anita and paint Oyaks as a saint.

Moreso, don't swallow hook, line and sinker every thing the fift estate had dished out concerning his divorce saga. Trust them to have embellished it with many unfounded and concorted lines.

That said, i know you may bear grudges with Pastor Chris for some of his teachings especially the masturbation stuff, which you may find unscriptural.

Nonetheless i'll counsel you keep an open mind where he is and not get easily worked up when you read or hear some stuff from him that may not align with your theological worldview.

As he might at the end of the day be right while you happen to be wrong or vice versa.
The theory that there is no poverty in Christ is a HERESY and a fantasy that is betrayed by his own life of a failed marriage or he preaches one thing and practices the other

Please get this, pastor Chris is a genuine man of God, though some of his teachings may seem controversial or downright unscriptural.
These does not in anyway negate his status as a man of God. As he has never preached in anyway to point poeple away from Christ or God our father.
He is peddling an illusion that wealth is just some scriptures, faith and principles away. The fact is, poverty like diseases and poor relationships are a fact of life. You will have each of those one way or the other regardless of what principles and faith you possess and practice

At times some of these percieved theological blunders are not deliberately designed to steer the children of God away from the truth but rather they happen to be his own mistakes and fallibility as human.

What i personally do is that i take the ones i'm convinced is scriptural and the other ones i do not deem fit i humbly discard.
That is why i have my Bible and like Paul said of the Berean Christians that "they went and searched the scriptures to see if those things were true"
Very good of you

So for the Op i'll like to know your personal take on it with scriptural position rather than attack the messenger.

God bless.
I'm not attacking the messenger, just illustrating his folly.
Poverty, wealth, health, illness, happiness,sadness are all INEVITABLE as long as we are in this tabernacle. The countless and expensive formulas developed to avoid these end up disappointing many. This is not to mean that we should not attempt to overcome, but rather we should not be escapist. Some Christians are no will die poor regardless of their faith, principles and attempts to escape it. Same with health.

I was discussing with a friend and I asked her why Christians get sick. She said it is in their power to rise above any sickness and to be disease free and they only fall sick because they allow themselves to. This thinking has no empirical proof nor scriptural basis. This is fantasy thinking. Sometimes it takes nothing but death to rouse these daydreamers out of their fantasies. That moment when you have to resort to medicine, or bury a faithful believer who firmly believed they would be healed is the turning point. Little wonder all the most rabid Word of Faith purveyors succumb to sicknesses. Their medicine somewhat does not work on them
Re: Why Some Christians Live In Poverty by Nobody: 12:07pm On Feb 23, 2016
Gombs:

Hey bro!

Mind explaining?
Jesus taught his followers that poverty isn't about material possessions. He spoke about building up treasures that do not perish and have no physical quantification e.g love. He constantly preached that LOVE is the utmost, and the POOR are those who show no mercy.

Luke 6:20-21 Then he looked up at his disciples and said: 'Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. 'Blessed are you who are hungry now, for you will be filled. 'Blessed are you who weep now, for you will laugh.
Mark 10:21-22 Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.
Luke 14:12-14 He said also to the one who had invited him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, in case they may invite you in return, and you would be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, and the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you, for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."

Christians, today, believe the Holy Spirit is wiser than Jesus. For them, true Christianity is incomplete without a large bank account. So they'll bend and twist all Scriptures to support their greed and covetousness. Thus, the religion that began in the name of Jesus has become a product. Naturally, it demands marketing and so it comes in different flavors abi na ministries. Everyone is selling theirs. The bigger your church, the further your reach, , the closer you are to God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nature: Made For Man Or Indifferent To Man's Existence? / Did Jesus Really Exist? Proving Jesus Without The Bible / The Future Prophecy Concerning America And Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.