Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,379 members, 7,846,611 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage (685 Views)

Rats Damage President Buhari's Office - Garba Shehu / Zuriel Elise Oduwole Speaks At UN "I've Seen A Lot Already" (Photos) / Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage by investnow2013: 8:37pm On Feb 22, 2016
Chief Eric Umeofia, Chief Executive Officer, EriscoBonpet Group, who disclosed that 91.9 percent of imported tomatoes pastes from China into Nigeria are substandard, said that the simplest way to stop dumping is to ban importation of finished goods. Umeofia whose company produces tomato paste locally, said: “Importation is doing a lot of damage to us. The influx of foreign goods is one of the dangers the Nigerian manufacturers and producers are facing, because the cost of production here is quite high. The power situation, the cost of diesel, compared to production cost in Asia, we discover that the goods that come in here from those places would be far cheaper and at times, leave only a small margin between our cost of production and cost of sales. So, it is a very big problem, so many producers cannot just survive. “Fiscal policy should be put in place to discourage much of the importations of these goods and services. High tariffs should be placed on those goods they know that we have the capability of producing here in Nigeria. It is not too difficult to take a census or to sample goods that are being produced here and such goods; government should have a deliberate policy from Ministry of Finance hiking the tariffs of the imported ones. “That is the simplest way to stop it and it takes some good patriotic and political will to do this, and I encourage the government and the CBN to do this for the good of us all. I agree that the world is a global market right now, but we have to look at our position, we are a consuming nation. Those that are exporting to us right now, we must realise that there was a time when they had a closed market, and they did not allow goods from outside their country to flow in,” he said. According to Umeofia, a study conducted by NAFDAC recently, revealed that majority of the tomato pastes in the market across the country fall short of required standard. “The laboratory analysis of study which covers 27 main markets and four major supermarkets in Lagos indicated that 286 tomato paste out of 298 sampled fall short of the codex standards and the Nigerian Industrial Standards has specified that tomato content should be 28 percent minimum.” He said that another survey carried out by Nigerian Institute of Science Laboratory Technology, NISLT, showed that of 16 tomatoe paste samples analysed for 13 parameters selected, some manufacturers compromised standard in area of amount of lycopene, starch content and heavy metal contamination. He said it will be in the interest of local manufacturers for imported tomato paste brands in retail packs from China and other high risk countries to be suspended and immediate mop ups of those brands of tomatoes paste already in circulation. “Apart from killing Nigerians with their substandard tomato pastes, these people are also killing the Nigerian economy as they dump these substandard tomato pastes with subsidies from their home government. In the end, genuine manufacturers of tomato pastes find it difficult to remain in business as the consumers unfortunately go for this perceived cheaper tomato paste brands, not knowing they are paying for ill health and untimely death,” he stated. Umeofia commended CBN for its recent monetary policy tools, adding that the forex measure is a welcome development which will help reshape and reposition the real sector. He further urged CBN to monitor all the banks to ensure that the forex made available is not diverted to traders and Bureau De Change dealers, stressing that government should focus on industrialising Nigeria and not to trade the country away.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/02/importation-doing-us-a-lot-of-damage/
Re: Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage by oduastates: 8:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
These are the people I want to listen to when talking about government economic policy.

My suggestion.

Give states the power to build power stations and supply industrial estates directly .
You can achieve this by building industrial parks and clusters to ensure that only a few points of distribution

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage by Aufbauh(m): 8:54pm On Feb 22, 2016
I am very proud of Chief Eric Umeofia CEO Eriscobonpe for his laudable and workable initiative to grow the local contents by patronising our farmers along the width and breath of the country for raw materials.
He has the largest tomato processing factory in the whole of Africa.

3 Likes

Re: Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage by EZENDDIGBO(m): 9:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
Sir I am not proud of what you re saying sir , calling those tin tomatoes a substandard products is out of it sir?
I am doubting cos gino tin tomatoes and tasty tom tomatoes is better than your own sir.
Sir you need to improves on your own locally made products called nagikko or whatever you called it.
Your tomatoes especially nagikko is tasteless, am a good cooker but I don't like how your tin tomatoes tastes the day I use it.
Despite the high price of tasty tom tin tomatoes, I still patronised them.

You re trying sir but you need to work on it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage by highpriest4: 10:10pm On Feb 22, 2016
I think enough exportation would do the magic.

Our problem started when the price of our major export nosedived, the importation has always been there.

1 Like

Re: Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage by nobilis: 4:02am On Feb 23, 2016
oduastates:
These are the people I want to listen to when talking about government economic policy.

My suggestion.

Give states the power to build power stations and supply industrial estates directly .
You can achieve this by building industrial parks and clusters to ensure that only a few points of distribution

States, ke!
Where governors act as though they are emperors and Lord and Master??
Never trust a state governor.
Very few have the interest of their indigenes at heart.

The able CEO said something about the word being a global market.
Nigeria should provide a market for raw materials abeg. The rate of imported finished-goods-consumerism in this country is shamefully high.

1 Like

Re: Importation Is Doing Us A Lot Of Damage by Flexherbal(m): 4:26am On Feb 23, 2016
We will get there soon. This is a time for us to think of how to better the economy.

(1) (Reply)

Discos Deliberately Sabotaging Power Supply To Prove A Point To Senate - Opinion / Vice President Yemi Osinbajo Attends Kaduna Cultural Day (photos) / APC Candidate In Rivers Demands Refund Of Bribe From INEC Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.