Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,681 members, 7,827,521 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church (24772 Views)

A List Of False Teachings In The Roman Catholic Church / Christians/muslims - Define "Idol Worship" - By Pagans / Islam Created By The Roman Catholic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Marlbron: 5:49pm On Jul 19, 2009
There are two groups of people. The earthly and the heavenly. They can be found in all the religions. 2 people will be walking, one will be taken and the other left,
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by skydancer: 8:39pm On Jul 19, 2009
@Lady. I clearly understand you now. I can't imagine these Bobbyyaff spends all his time rigmaroling and ranting about the Catholic church with biased misjudged arguments. When I entered this forum I was expecting some valid arguments but instead I recieved helpless and fearful replies like

"I am not here to win. God is the winner when truth is revealed and accepted. Jesus said, "If you love me keep my commandments", John 14:15

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot freely disobey God's instructions, and at the same time claim to have a relationship with Him."

That's one of the craziest replies I have ever recieved arguing with anybody. It does not present any point, neither does it prove any thing. To my embarassment, I was expecting a sound reply and for him to tell me about their doctrine that I have heard so many people criticize.

I will explain a little about Christianity for this outsiders that are so interested and for catholics that their faith sits on the wind, waiting for it to blow, yet afraid of the storm.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 12:32am On Jul 20, 2009
@ Krayola

Jesus was not bound by doctrine or Law

Yes He was. He was obedient to His Father's commandments. Name one law He broke.

he was a progressive.

yet you say He was not bound by laws. Can anyone who is lawless be progressive?

And the fundamentalists of his time were threatened by him and the rapid spread of him movement - and got him wiped out. Jesus was a great thinker. . .a wise philosopher. Way waaaay ahead of his time

To which I totally agree, but never count out His perfect life of obedience. Jesus came to bring more significance to the law, and to highlight its spirituality. On the other hand it was the Jewish leaders who shed a negative light on God's law by pushing the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

That is why in Matthew 5:17 --- 21 Jesus made it clear to them that His mission didn't involve destroying the law, or the writings of the prophets, as they were thinking, but to fulfill, and by fulfill is meant, making the law more meaningful by showing its true benefits.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 1:23am On Jul 20, 2009

Above: Look at this huge "Virgin Mary" statue in Pine Bluffs, Wyoming! 

Philippians 2:10 proclaims, "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth."  Not one Scripture, NOT ONE, tells us to recognize Mary in any capacity whatsoever.  Yet, a Catholic will say 53 "Hail Marys" in a full Rosary, and millions of times in a normal lifetime.

"And now they sin more and more, and have made them molten images of their silver, and idols according to their own understanding, all of it the work of the craftsmen: they say of them, Let the men that sacrifice KISS THE CALVES." -Hosea 13:2

"Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations." -Ezekiel 14:6

"Neither shalt thou set thee up any image; which the LORD thy God hateth."
-Deuteronomy 16:22

Plain and open evidence of paganism and idol worship within the Catholic organization.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by sugabelle: 1:37am On Jul 20, 2009
Wow. The word count in this thread is enormous! Some posts are as long as my History textbooks! But seriously, this issue has been flogged on for decades: I mean, this is one of the tenets of churches like Jehovah's Witnesses; they make it their duty to castigate the Catholic Church. Let's leave all these monumental issues and face the little things. OP, which person on the street have you smiled at today and said, "God loves you", or how many charities have you donated to, which of your friends/neighbors have you given a helping hand when in need? Try and focus on the little things. Soon you'll start a thread about Muslims because to me that's an even bigger issue. But I have nothing but love for all, just like Jesus had. Jesus Peace y'all, for all. wink
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 2:24am On Jul 20, 2009
@ sugerbelle

Wow. The word count in this thread is enormous! Some posts are as long as my History textbooks! But seriously, this issue has been flogged on for decades: I mean, this is one of the tenets of churches like Jehovah's Witnesses; they make it their duty to castigate the Catholic Church. Let's leave all these monumental issues and face the little things. OP, which person on the street have you smiled at today and said, "God loves you", or how many charities have you donated to, which of your friends/neighbors have you given a helping hand when in need? Try and focus on the little things. Soon you'll start a thread about Muslims because to me that's an even bigger issue. But I have nothing but love for all, just like Jesus had. Jesus Peace y'all, for all. Wink

The love sentiments that you're stressing is quite in order, but is not the purpose of this thread. This thread is to educate Catholics of the sin against God when they practice idolatry.

Yes its all good to live a practical Christian life, but when Jesus returns I want no one's blood on my shoulders for failing to warn certain Christians who profess to know God, and who are ignorant of His divine instructions.

Revelation 22:14,15 say, 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Krayola2(m): 5:04am On Jul 20, 2009
Bobbyaf:

@ Krayola

Yes He was. He was obedient to His Father's commandments. Name one law He broke.

He touched a leper.

Leviticus 13
43The priest is to examine him, and if the swollen sore on his head or forehead is reddish-white like an infectious skin disease, 44the man is diseased and is unclean. The priest shall pronounce him unclean because of the sore on his head.

45“The person with such an infectious disease must wear torn clothes, let his hair be unkempt,d cover the lower part of his face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean!’ 46[b]As long as he has the infection he remains unclean. He must live alone; he must live outside the camp.
[/b]

<< Leviticus 5 >>
King James Bible
1 And if a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it; if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity. 2 Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcass of an unclean beast, or a carcass of unclean cattle, or the carcass of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty. 3 Or if he touch the uncleanness of man, whatsoever uncleanness it be that a man shall be defiled withal, and it be hid from him; when he knoweth of it, then he shall be guilty.

Mark 1:40-42 And a leper came to him beseeching him, and kneeling said to him, "If you will, you can make me clean." Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." And immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean.

He broke the sabbath

In the Old Testament, the collection of food on the Sabbath is strictly forbidden:
Exodus 16:28-29: The Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Remain each of you in his place; let no one go out of his place on the seventh day.
In the Gospel of Mark, however, Jesus and his disciples broke this Mosaic commandment. Challenged by the Pharisees, Jesus justified their actions:
Mark 2:23-27: One Sabbath he was going through the grainfields, and as they made their way, his disciples began to pluck heads of grain. And the Pharisees were saying to him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?" …And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Leviticus 24:19-20: If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured.

Matthew 5:38–39: You have heard that it was said, “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” But I tell you, do not resist an evil person.

Bobbyaf:

yet you say He was not bound by laws. Can anyone who is lawless be progressive?

pro⋅gres⋅sive  [pruh-gres-iv]  Show IPA
–adjective
1. favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.
2. making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods, etc.: a progressive community.
3. characterized by such progress, or by continuous improvement.

Bobbyaf:

To which I totally agree, but never count out His perfect life of obedience. Jesus came to bring more significance to the law, and to highlight its spirituality. On the other hand it was the Jewish leaders who shed a negative light on God's law by pushing the letter rather than the spirit of the law.

That is why in Matthew 5:17 --- 21 Jesus made it clear to them that His mission didn't involve destroying the law, or the writings of the prophets, as they were thinking, but to fulfill, and by fulfill is meant, making the law more meaningful by showing its true benefits.

Jesus used his brain and did what was right, whether or not the law allowed it. He wasn't a zombie that just followed some Holy Book down to the letter. That was his genius, and that was what got him killed. He was a threat to the establishment.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 9:15am On Jul 20, 2009
@ Krayola

He touched a leper.

Leviticus 13
43The priest is to examine him, and if the swollen sore on his head or forehead is reddish-white like an infectious skin disease, 44the man is diseased and is unclean. The priest shall pronounce him unclean because of the sore on his head.

45“The person with such an infectious disease must wear torn clothes, let his hair be unkempt,d cover the lower part of his face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean!’ 46As long as he has the infection he remains unclean. He must live alone; he must live outside the camp.

You seem to forget who Jesus was. He is God, and being God He was not subject to limitations. That cannot be construed to mean He broke the law. By touching the leper His intent was to heal him, and in addition to that, healing the leper was based on the leper's faith.

<< Leviticus 5 >>
King James Bible   
1 And if a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it; if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity. 2 Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcass of an unclean beast, or a carcass of unclean cattle, or the carcass of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty. 3 Or if he touch the uncleanness of man, whatsoever uncleanness it be that a man shall be defiled withal, and it be hid from him; when he knoweth of it, then he shall be guilty.

Mark 1:40-42 And a leper came to him beseeching him, and kneeling said to him, "If you will, you can make me clean." Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him, and said to him, "I will; be clean." And immediately the leprosy left him, and he was made clean.

Once again you seem not to realize that it was Jesus who gave those laws to the children of Israel. He is the law giver. Jesus was not a lawbreaker because He touched and healed a leper. That is the most ludicrous remark I have ever seen expressed in all my life as a Christian. 

He broke the sabbath

He kept the sabbath as His custom was, Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

In the Old Testament, the collection of food on the Sabbath is strictly forbidden:
Exodus 16:28-29: The Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Remain each of you in his place; let no one go out of his place on the seventh day.

This quotation has no relevance to what Jesus did on the sabbath. The circumstances during the journey in the wilderness necessitated such restrictions. Secondly, the children of Israel were spiritually immature, who were accustomed to the ways of the Egyptians. There had to be strict guidelines in sabbath keeping.

In the Gospel of Mark, however, Jesus and his disciples broke this Mosaic commandment. Challenged by the Pharisees, Jesus justified their actions:

Mark 2:23-27: One Sabbath he was going through the grainfields, and as they made their way, his disciples began to pluck heads of grain. And the Pharisees were saying to him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?" …And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Is that what you refer to as sabbath breaking?  grin You're making an unfair comparison between one set of guidelines that controlled how much manna should have been picked up on the Friday to avoid having to labour unnecessarily on the sabbath in picking up the same. Walking through a corn field and picking corn to satisfy one's hunger is not seen as breaking the law when we stop to consider that the sabbath was given for man's contentment, rather than to be yoke. That is why Jesus said that the sabbath was made for mankind. It was made for the good of mankind. Hence man was not made for the sabbath, since man was made on the 6th day, and the sabbath was made on the 7th.

Leviticus 24:19-20: If anyone injures his neighbor, whatever he has done must be done to him: fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. As he has injured the other, so he is to be injured. Matthew 5:38–39: You have heard that it was said, “An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.” But I tell you, do not resist an evil person.

Under a theocracy such strict laws were necessary in order to control a stiff-necked people. When Jesus came no such theocracy existed. He came to broaden the law spiritually. In OT times the letter of the law had to be stressed based on the level of spirituality of the people who had just been delivered from Egypt, the influence of which still impacted them. It wasn't easy leading almost 2 million people on the go.

When Jesus came the situation was completely different. The Hebrew people were now a nation living in their own land, albeit occupied by the Roman kingdom. What God could not have accomplished due to the ill-preparedness of ancient Israel, he was now willing to teach. Years and years of tradition by the Jewish leaders had somehow obscured the spiritual aspect of God's law. No wonder Jesus said concerning doing good on the sabbath:

11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?  12How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

Jesus used his brain and did what was right, whether or not the law allowed it. He wasn't a zombie that just followed some Holy Book down to the letter. That was his genius, and that was what got him killed. He was a threat to the establishment.

Exactly! But at least He never had to compromise the requirements of the law. He accomplished both things. He carefully taught the spirit as well as the letter of the law. The spirit of the law has to do with one's discretion when keeping it. For example being a sabbath keeper myself, although I wouldn't necessarily do unnecessary work on the day itself, it doesn't mean I cannot be helpful to someone's needs, if such an occasion arose. If someone came to my house hungry, and I had no light stuff to feed him with, it would become a necessity to cook. Or if I had to go and buy something at the shop to feed the brother, I'd very much go.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by skydancer: 10:38am On Jul 20, 2009
Hello Bobby. Check out https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-298615.0.html and stop making noise.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Krayola(m): 12:47pm On Jul 20, 2009
bobbyaf. . .open your eyes. . .stop being a zombie. . thats the worst form of idolatory. Jesus broke the Jewish laws because they didn't make sense. . .they allowed for exploitation of the peasants, and ostracization of the most vulnerable in society, the sick. . eg lepers.

The term "healed" as used in the bible is not literal. . .but thats a whole other debate and from reading ur posts, discussing that with u is pointless. U can't get beyond the superstition and I doubt I'm going to be the one to fix that. But just for the sake of people who aren't as deluded as u, when Jesus healed lepers, it meant he included them in the community. Being a leper meant u were dead as far as society was concerned. . it wasn't just a physical thing, it was a social and psychological thing. For someone as adored as Jesus to touch a leper, in front of witnesses, as an example to be followed, was such a big deal, and a challenge to the status quo. That's what he meant when he said he was giving the disciples and other followers the power to heal and do great things in his name. . .he meant that his example should be followed. That of inclusiveness, of tolerance.

Jesus lived in a time where myth was the way memory of the great was preserved. The stories in the Bible are only theologically interpreted narratives, and not direct eye witness accounts. To treat the bible as equivalent to God (infallible) is the worst form of idolatry.

U said Jesus obeyed all his fathers laws. . i showed u that he broke them. ANd now u say since he is God, he is above the Law, or wasn't bound by law.

The point of Jesus' life and teachings is that we all have the capacity to fix the problems of the world. To bring about God's Kingdom, or rule over the world i.e. To create a world that functions as if God was directly in charge. In other words, we are all "Sons of God" if we are guided by love of our fellow men. The Kingdom of God is fulfilled when this simple principle is what guides human action on earth. That is how God's will for humanity is fulfilled. That is the simple, yet revolutionary message of Christ, and not all the dogmatic stuff that Pastors tell their followers to keep them coming back and donating tithes. Salvation is not an induvidual thing, it is a universal thing. Love, as exemplified by Christ, is what can save humanity from self destruction.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by ogajim(m): 1:39pm On Jul 20, 2009
Krayola,

Arguing with this booby guy is like getting on a train to nowhere!

Most of the so called churches stopped representing Christ a long time ago, Bobby needs to disclose his own "faith" and see if some of us can't punch holes in their doctrines and dogmas.

One has to apply the Bible with a huge dose of common sense or else we all become "zombified" like some folks on here, indoctrination is a huge problem these days and I am not sure if economics have anything to do with it.

If you keep one of the laws, you need to keep the rest too but for most "real Christians", Jesus Christ is sufficient for us.

God bless. grin grin grin grin
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by 49cents(m): 6:58pm On Jul 20, 2009
just want you to stop disregarding the power of REASON God gave you cos to use to

discover Him.

Before i even believed in Jesus Chrsit as the Person God sent amongst others like

Mohammed, Bhudda, etc i had to apply reason becos at a point in my search for

TRUTH that was worth living all my days on earth; being "BORN" a CATHOLIC was

barely enough.

The historical fact that Jesus was the only "messenger" of God whose birth was

pre-announced proved that it: God knew that the humans He created would consent

resonably if there was a pre-information of His "messenger's" coming and even to

his place of Birth, and his fate as the Suffering servant. In this light Mohammed

was simply a claimant as Bhudda, there was no valid reason not to continue to

believe in Jesus as another claimant of coming from God.

I would later use REASON to verify issues like whether Scriptures as interpreted

by me was sufficient alone, Did Christ intend a Church where the Fulness of His

revelation to Mnakind would be taught infallibly?; what where the marks if it existed,

All this happened 4 years into my "conversion" experience: that sudden feeling

of kowing God and wanting others to know Him too, of wanting to read the Bible

from begining to end in obe day, and everybody calling you Pastor, Broh or

Fada, looking back i call it Honeymoon, God lured me with highs just to turn

my attention to Him only to leave me Really find Him again with my Reason and love

Him with my will not emotional highs.

I dont claim credit for my conversion i feel humbled by it as oin my case i found

Him whom i was not originally seeking, and boy am i happy and feel the freedom

of the Children of God not of the will of flesh but by God For instance every morning

i wake up and know that it is unreasonable for a young person like myself

to live Chastity till i get wedded in such a permisive society like ours so i ask

that i may recieve grace from God whom i find resonable to believe in.

I get your drift on this thread and i know that like many others you dont REALLY

and TRULLY hate the Catholic Church but what you believe to be the cathalic church
God bless thee
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 3:28am On Jul 21, 2009
@ krayola

bobbyaf. . .open your eyes. . .stop being a zombie. . thats the worst form of idolatory. Jesus broke the Jewish laws because they didn't make sense. . .they allowed for exploitation of the peasants, and ostracization of the most vulnerable in society, the sick. . eg lepers.

Those laws that you think Jesus broke were additional traditions that obscured God's spiritual law. Jesus simply shed light on how God's spiritual law should be kept rather than follow tradition. This is how Jesus explained it so that persons like you would have gotten a better understanding. Note:-

Matthew 15:3, "But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?"

In other words the religious leaders of the day, because of their man-made traditions obscured the spirituality of God's law. They created a burden for the people who no longer saw the law as the way it was intended to be seen, and hence they the religious leaders were already breaking it while pretending to be righteous.

Jesus said this also in verse 9, "But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men"

This is what this thread is about, and that is to make a clear distinction between that the Catholic church has imposed on its members which is contrary to what the word of God teaches. What happened back then is the very same thing that is happening now, where the religious order of the day by reason of its strength in numbers is imposing on the conscience of the people. That happened to the detriment of Europe in the dark ages, and according to the prophecy its going to happen all over again.

The term "healed" as used in the bible is not literal. . .but thats a whole other debate and from reading ur posts, discussing that with u is pointless. U can't get beyond the superstition and I doubt I'm going to be the one to fix that. But just for the sake of people who aren't as deluded as u, when Jesus healed lepers, it meant he included them in the community. Being a leper meant u were dead as far as society was concerned. . it wasn't just a physical thing, it was a social and psychological thing.

That you need not tell me of. Everyone knows it was more than a physical healing. So whats new? That is besides the point anyway. Jesus having to heal a leper, which was an expected and integral part of His ministry, had nothing to do with Him breaking His own law. It was He who prescribed them and gave them to the Hebrew people in the first place, but because of the silly traditions that came along, and piled up high above God's perfect law, and which led to more confusion than ever, Jesus when He came had to do some bushing. He had to clear up all that misconception that surrounded the law. So for you to argue that Jesus broke the law by doing good is nothing short of being ridiculous.

For someone as adored as Jesus to touch a leper, in front of witnesses, as an example to be followed, was such a big deal, and a challenge to the status quo.

Whose status quo are you referring to? None other than the religious leaders. Don't forget that the miracles pulled the people closer and closer to Jesus. Besides, do you think that Jesus was concerned about Himself being so adored? Quite the opposite. He came to identify with the fallen race. Paul said "He became a servant, " That was His mission.

That's what he meant when he said he was giving the disciples and other followers the power to heal and do great things in his name. . .he meant that his example should be followed. That of inclusiveness, of tolerance.

Its strange how you're drawing upon general acceptable truths to defend your argument that Jesus broke the law. Now its plain to all forumites that you never had any argument from day one.

Jesus lived in a time where myth was the way memory of the great was preserved. The stories in the Bible are only theologically interpreted narratives, and not direct eye witness accounts. To treat the bible as equivalent to God (infallible) is the worst form of idolatry.

This is not even worth responding to. So the apostles, who wrote the epistles, and some of whom were of the 12 disciples, who walked and talked with Jesus aren't qualified to be eye witnesses? grin Lord have mercy, shocked

U said Jesus obeyed all his fathers laws. . i showed u that he broke them. ANd now u say since he is God, he is above the Law, or wasn't bound by law.

Hear it from Jesus' own words, John 15:10, "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."

The point of Jesus' life and teachings is that we all have the capacity to fix the problems of the world. To bring about God's Kingdom, or rule over the world i.e. To create a world that functions as if God was directly in charge. In other words, we are all "Sons of God" if we are guided by love of our fellow men. The Kingdom of God is fulfilled when this simple principle is what guides human action on earth. That is how God's will for humanity is fulfilled. That is the simple, yet revolutionary message of Christ, and not all the dogmatic stuff that Pastors tell their followers to keep them coming back and donating tithes. Salvation is not an induvidual thing, it is a universal thing. Love, as exemplified by Christ, is what can save humanity from self destruction.

No one can gainsay that, which is just one aspect of God's will, but do not believe that God is only interested in us being love dovy. He desires that we be obedient to His word. God isn't like us. He says what He means, and He means what He says. There is no shadow of turning with God, He says, "I am Jehovah and I change not, "
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 3:37am On Jul 21, 2009
@ 49 cents

just want you to stop disregarding the power of REASON God gave you cos to use to

discover Him.

Before i even believed in Jesus Chrsit as the Person God sent amongst others like

Mohammed, Bhudda, etc i had to apply reason becos at a point in my search for

TRUTH that was worth living all my days on earth; being "BORN" a CATHOLIC was

barely enough.

The historical fact that Jesus was the only "messenger" of God whose birth was

pre-announced proved that it: God knew that the humans He created would consent

resonably if there was a pre-information of His "messenger's" coming and even to

his place of Birth, and his fate as the Suffering servant. In this light Mohammed

was simply a claimant as Bhudda, there was no valid reason not to continue to

believe in Jesus as another claimant of coming from God.

I would later use REASON to verify issues like whether Scriptures as interpreted

by me was sufficient alone, Did Christ intend a Church where the Fulness of His

revelation to Mnakind would be taught infallibly?; what where the marks if it existed,

All this happened 4 years into my "conversion" experience: that sudden feeling

of kowing God and wanting others to know Him too, of wanting to read the Bible

from begining to end in obe day, and everybody calling you Pastor, Broh or

Fada, looking back i call it Honeymoon, God lured me with highs just to turn

my attention to Him only to leave me Really find Him again with my Reason and love

Him with my will not emotional highs.

I dont claim credit for my conversion i feel humbled by it as oin my case i found

Him whom i was not originally seeking, and boy am i happy and feel the freedom

of the Children of God not of the will of flesh but by God For instance every morning

i wake up and know that it is unreasonable for a young person like myself

to live Chastity till i get wedded in such a permisive society like ours so i ask

that i may recieve grace from God whom i find resonable to believe in.

I get your drift on this thread and i know that like many others you dont REALLY

and TRULLY hate the Catholic Church but what you believe to be the cathalic church
God bless thee

Blessings my brother. Let me encourage you to be true to God and your conscience, and that He will give you the strength to live for Him in a world that is full of sin and evil. I will be praying for you.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 3:34am On Jul 22, 2009

Notice the shape of the pope's mitre and how it resembles the mitre of the pagan god called Dagan.

REVELATION 17:5 says "And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH."[color=#000099][/color]

The Roman Catholic Church contends that its origin is associated with the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ in approximately 30 A.D. The Catholic Church proclaims itself to be the Church that Jesus Christ died for, the Church that was established and built by the Apostles. Is that the true origin of the Catholic Church? On the contrary.

Even a cursory reading of the New Testament will reveal that the Catholic Church does not have its origin in the teachings of Jesus, or His apostles. In the New Testament, there is no mention of the papacy, worship / adoration of Mary, or images, (or the immaculate conception of Mary, the perpetual virginity of Mary, the assumption of Mary, or Mary as co-redemptrix and mediatrix), petitioning saints in Heaven for their prayers, apostolic succession, the ordinances of the church functioning as sacraments, infant baptism, confession of sin to a priest, purgatory, indulgences, or the equal authority of church tradition and Scripture. So, if the origin of the Catholic Church is not in the teachings of Jesus and His apostles, as recorded in the New Testament, what is the true origin of the Catholic Church?

For the first 280 years of Christian history, Christianity was banned by the Roman empire, and Christians were terribly persecuted. This changed after the “conversion” of the Roman Emperor Constantine. Constantine “legalized” Christianity at the Edict of Milan in A.D. 313. Later, in A.D. 325, Constantine called together the Council of Nicea, in an attempt to unify Christianity. Constantine envisioned Christianity as a religion that could unite the Roman Empire, which at that time was beginning to fragment and divide. While this may have seemed to be a positive development for the Christian church, the results were anything but positive. Just as Constantine refused to fully embrace the Christian faith, but continued many of his pagan beliefs and practices, so the Christian church that Constantine promoted was a mixture of true Christianity and Roman paganism.

Constantine found that with the Roman Empire being so vast, expansive, and diverse – not everyone would agree to forsake their religious beliefs and instead embrace Christianity. So, Constantine allowed, and even promoted, the “Christianization” of pagan beliefs. Completely pagan and utterly unbiblical beliefs were given new “Christian” identities. Some saw him as a political genius. Some clear examples of this are as follows:

1) The Cult of Isis, an Egyptian mother-goddess religion, was absorbed into Christianity by replacing Isis with Mary. Many of the titles that were used for Isis, such as “Queen of Heaven,” “Mother of God,” and “theotokos” (God-bearer) were attached to Mary. Mary was given an exalted role in the Christian faith, far beyond what the Bible ascribes to her, in order to attract Isis worshippers to a faith they would not otherwise embrace.

2) Mithraism was a religion in the Roman Empire in the 1st through 5th centuries A.D. It was very popular among the Romans, especially among Roman soldiers, and was possibly the religion of several Roman emperors. While Mithraism was never given “official” status in the Roman empire, it was the de-facto official religion until Constantine and succeeding Roman emperors replaced Mithraism with Christianity. One of the key features of Mithraism was a sacrificial meal, which involved eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a bull. Mithras, the god of Mithraism, was “present” in the flesh and blood of the bull, and when consumed, granted salvation to those who partook of the sacrificial meal (theophagy, the eating of one’s god) This is the catholic's equivalent to the Eucharist or mass. They teach that Jesus' literal flesh and blood are being eaten and drunken when members partake of the wafer, and the wine.

Mithraism also had seven “sacraments,” making the similarities between Mithraism and Roman Catholicism too many to ignore. Constantine and his successors found an easy substitute for the sacrificial meal of Mithraism in concept of the Lord’s Supper / Christian Communion. Sadly, some early Christians had already begun to attach mysticism to the Lord’s Supper, rejecting the Biblical concept of a simple and worshipful remembrance of Christ’s death and shed blood.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 3:41am On Jul 22, 2009
Continuing,

3) Most Roman emperors (and citizens) were henotheists. A henotheist is one who believes in the existence of many gods, but focuses primary on one particular god, or considers one particular god supreme over the other gods. For example, the Roman god Jupiter was supreme over the Roman pantheon of gods. Roman sailors were often worshippers of Neptune, the god of the oceans. When the Catholic Church absorbed Roman paganism, it simply replaced the pantheon of gods with the saints. Just as the Roman pantheon of gods had a god of love, a god of peace, a god of war, a god of strength, a god of wisdom, etc., so the Catholic Church has a saint who is “in charge” over each of these, and many other categories. Just as many Roman cities had a god specific to the city, so the Catholic Church provided “patron saints” for the cities.

(4) The supremacy of the Roman bishop (the papacy) was created with the support of the Roman emperors. With the city of Rome being the center of government for the Roman empire, and with the Roman emperors living in Rome, the city of Rome rose to prominence in all facets of life. Constantine, and his successors, gave their support to the bishop of Rome as the supreme ruler of the church. Of course it is best for the unity of the Roman empire that the government and state religion be centered in the same location. While most other bishops (and Christians) resisted the idea of the Roman bishop being supreme, the Roman bishop eventually rose to supremacy, due to the power and influence of the Roman emperors. When the Roman empire collapsed, the popes took on the title that had previously belonged to the Roman emperors – Pontificus Maximus.

Many more examples could be given. These four should suffice in demonstrating the true origin of the Catholic Church. Of course the Roman Catholic Church denies the pagan origin of its beliefs and practices. The Catholic Church disguises its pagan beliefs under layers of complicated theology. The Catholic Church excuses and denies its pagan origin beneath the mask of “church tradition.” Recognizing that many of its beliefs and practices are utterly foreign to Scripture, the Catholic Church is forced to deny the authority and sufficiency of Scripture.

2 Timothy 4:3–4 (NIV)
"3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths, "
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by sley4life(m): 6:21am On Jul 22, 2009
the catholic church is the 1st & the best, they dont worship idol
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 8:09am On Jul 22, 2009
I doubt if you have read through the critical points in this thread. I don't think you have. I'd advise you to take a look at those photos of blatant idol worship and come back and deny the truth.

You defenders are a bunch of spineless ones.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by skydancer: 10:40am On Jul 22, 2009
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by alimat2(f): 1:22pm On Jul 22, 2009
@POST
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

@ALL,

I cant shout. settle ur scores, u all are one xtians
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Bobbyaf(m): 5:08pm On Jul 22, 2009
@ Alimat 2

Are you a follower of Jesus Christ, or not? If you are not I wouldn't expect you to understand the gravity of this thread, but if you are, then you need to know the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation that have warned about the RCC, and what it did, and still plans to do in the last days.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by TheClown: 11:10am On Aug 20, 2010
How does the Pope's staff which carries is a clear image of Jesus hanging on a cross resemble that of a long bearded man, standing, holding something in hand and a fish hanging from his side, how? You not just sincere.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by TheClown: 11:21am On Aug 20, 2010
How does the Pope's staff which carries is a clear image of Jesus hanging on a cross resemble that of a long bearded man, standing, holding something in hand and a fish hanging from his side, how? You not just sincere.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by TheClown: 11:24am On Aug 20, 2010
Bobbyaf:

How does these two images look alike?

Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Joooo(m): 7:43am On Mar 13, 2012
In Nigeria today why the christians are seein much ado is as a result of discrimination and this holier than thou attitude, see the bombin here and there offcause we all kw that the muslim sect BH is strongely behind all but the du in the name of religion nt in the name of Islamier. Why they are united and achievin there aim christians are busy discriminatin amongst themselves, a catholic wil nt go church because there is no catholic church around, a redeemer wil travil from ondo to lagos because he wnted to see the face of Adeboye. A deeperlifer can never be frnd to an ekwa hw can the christiandom unit in the world and fight against this act, jesus said a house that is divided agaist each other wil nt stand. Prof moh'd said because we are together we wil always win. Food for tot
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by tidytim: 11:12pm On Sep 15, 2012
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by Richieboyn: 9:38am On Feb 23, 2013
chukwudi44: @bobbyaff
It is better to discuss the sabath since a greater percentage of christians are involved ,do you realise that the seventh day adventist represent less than 4 percent of the christian poipulation,which means that the remaining 96 percent that don't observe the sabath are doomed. I would prefer we discuss the sabath since a greater number of christians are involved.

In your hypocritical hatred for the RCC you always pick on them because they are the largest branch of christendom.

But I have bad news for you

The RCC will outlive you
The RCC will outlive your children,grand children and great great, grand children(that is if you will have any)

Point of correction, even Adeboye knows that the catholic church has d largest number of xtians and dt hs church cn neva outlive d catholic church.
Re: Idol Worship In The Roman Catholic Church by asam7(f): 12:30pm On Dec 03, 2013
Thanks for sharing, only God will deliver us( both catholics and non catholics.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Told You That You Were Naked? / Help! My Pastor Hates Me! / Leke Adeboye: I Listen To Fela’s Music A Lot - Pastor Adeboye's Son Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.