Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate (3289 Views)

"PDP Will Reclaim Power In 2019" - Jonathan Speaks At PDP Convention / Misrule Worse Than Boko Haram-PDP / Popular Female Blogger Recieved N240 Million From ‪#‎Dasukigate‬ ? SEE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Jacobokwusi(m): 5:38pm On Feb 26, 2016
Former President Goodluck Jonathan was in Geneva, Switzerland on Wednesday as a guest of the Geneva Press Club. In this interview with France 24’s Georja Calvin-Smith, the former Nigerian leader spoke on why, for now, he wouldn’t want to talk about the arms scandal rocking his legacy since he left office. He also promised that the PDP will bounce back.

France 24: It’s been a tough year for Nigeria and a tough year arguably for your legacy as the former leader of the country. Your former security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, is currently standing trial for fraud, alleged to have taken billions of dollars of public funds meant for the fight against extremists from Boko Haram. Now, were you at the time aware of any improperly sourced funds funnelled into your re-election campaign of 2015?

Goodluck Jonathan: Thank you. Of course, this issue continues to come up but I always insist that the matters are being investigated and they are in our own courts and in Nigeria when issues are before the courts, you don’t make comments on it. It is considered prejudice. But one thing you will also realise is that for us to have conducted elections across the country – all parts of the country – that means that we prosecuted the war against Boko Haram to a reasonable level, otherwise we couldn’t have been in position to conduct elections across the country and we couldn’t have fought Boko Haram with bare hands. These issues of corruption, issues of misuse of funds are being investigated before the courts and I wouldn’t want to compromise the position of our laws because while I served as the president of Nigeria, I made sure that the judiciary remained independent and made sure there was maximum separation of powers between all arms of government. Having left office, I don’t think I will be the person to say things that will be detrimental to the judicial processes.
So, outside of the case itself, let’s say that there are misdeeds, which have been proven to have been committed during your tenure. Would you feel responsible for any oversight…?
Please, I will not comment in these areas. They are sensitive areas; I wouldn’t want to create more problems for my country.
Even hypothetically?
Please, please.

Over the last year, there has been arguably quite a lot of progress in the battle against Boko Haram extremists. Do you feel that the speed with which progress is being seen on the Buhari is tarnishing your legacy?

Well, I wouldn’t want to make comments that will appear as if I am having a debate with the serving president. I have served the country for five years as a president, three years as a vice president. I’ve tried my best and I’ll encourage the government to continue.

So, how do you feel about progress made in the battle against Boko Haram since you left last year?

I can’t comment about what is happening now. It will not be proper as a former president to start making comments – positive comments or negative comments – but I can tell you that when Boko Haram started in Nigeria, we had no terror experience. We never experienced terror before. Yes, we had robbery and other common crimes but terrorists are people that are not afraid to die. So you need a different mechanism to confront terrorists; you need superior technology so to be able to stop them before they are able to attack. So, we never had the equipment but when we were confronted, we started acquiring and before I left office, we built reasonable capacity. And I believe with what we left behind, and of course, with what the new government will also acquire, they will be able to prosecute this terror war to a reasonable conclusion.

So, what are you comfortable commenting on? Why are you in Geneva?

I’m in Geneva because a particular organisation actually invited me to come while serving as the president but I was unable to. But even after I finished serving, because of the circumstance of the election, because I ensured there was peaceful transition, we were quite pleased and they said they wanted to honour me. I just came to Geneva for that.

What are the biggest changes you have seen under Buhari?

I don’t think it is proper for you to drag me. Please, please, please. I think as a former president, it’s not too good for me to start commenting on issues about my county. If I get back to Nigeria, anything I think to discuss with the president, I will discuss with the president. I have access to the president. So, I will not come and start discussing Nigeria…
But surely there must be some noncontroversial issues or positive issues or positive advancements or positive developments in your country that you will be comfortable sharing with us.
One clear thing about Nigeria that you should appreciate is that we are institutionalising democracy. I believe with a stable government, quite a number of things that people look at as grey will soon be a thing of the past. Most societies passed through this phase of development, even the developed societies. We’ve read the history of almost all nations and every nation passed through different stages. And God willing, Nigeria will soon stabilise and we are progressing very well.

Since you left, your PDP parting is taking a bit of battering. Do you think it has suffered under Buhari at all?

Well, the PDP, definitely we have some minor issues but it is expected. We were in power for 16 years and when we lost the presidency, definitely we’ll have some sort of leadership problem because when you have a president, everybody looks up to the president. But when you no longer have the president, it becomes difficult for the party to have a very strong leadership. I believe whatever you observed will be sorted out and the leaders of the party, elders of the party will be meeting and all these perceived disagreements will soon be sorted out.
On perceived disagreements, prior to your leaving, there were quite a few fractures within the PDP.
Well, every political party always have those misunderstandings. It’s not new; it’s always there. The beginning of PDP, even before I got to Abuja as vice president and president, there were cases where chairmen of the party were asked to step down for some officers and from time to time, there are issues. So, it is not new. What is happening is not new. But I promise you that PDP will stabilise. In fact, by March this year, we are going in for our convention to elect officers at the lowest level of the wards through the local governments, through the states through the zones. Then, of course, the national officers will be elected. That’s just in March, early April. So, the party will bounce back. Whatever you perceive, it always happens and we will get over it. But thank you for the interest.

Source http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/goodluck-jonathan-speaks-on-boko-haram-pdp-and-dasukigate/?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by diasporaman(m): 5:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
hmmm
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by resty4(m): 5:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
Gd keep yr cool, yr legacy wl endure d test of tym.

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Naijacitizen(m): 6:00pm On Feb 26, 2016
Poor Ineffectual Buffoon.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by EasternActivist: 6:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
This man is one in a million....
Unlike others that will aid in sabotaging the present government BC of unfavorable change of power.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by EasternActivist: 6:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
Naijacitizen:

What will you call the present junketing president?

7 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Built2last: 6:12pm On Feb 26, 2016
Naijacitizen:

Anytime you meet your father again...call him that...it fits him better..honestly.

i dont expect you to be angry cos this is someones father too.

11 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Kessyy2k4(m): 6:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
Finally, clueless speak out. We are not interested in your rubish. U may shot the trap! Wait for EFCC to visit you soon

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by SUPERPACK: 6:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
Ineffectual buffoon

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by thundafire: 6:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
Naijacitizen:

**** ur bubu wat as he done,wen GEJ minds his word ur foolish presido dy blab carelessly dy expose dy country weak point

7 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by thundafire: 6:50pm On Feb 26, 2016
Kessyy2k4:
Finally, clueless speak out. We are not interested in your rubish. U may shot the trap! Wait for EFCC to visit you soon

keep waiting nd may his success close ur mawt ineffective fool of a Nigerian

6 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by thundafire: 6:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
SUPERPACK:
Ineffectual buffoon

i guess ur father cnt attend even dy least post in wer he is working call ur father dat ok mumu

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by tuniski: 6:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
Kessyy2k4:
Bitterness only hurts u! However if u really feel this deeply bitter u can turn yourself to EFCC and not only arrest him but, imprison him without trial! Yeye

GEJ remains the Hero of our democracy and statesman. God bless u sir

8 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by dechriscool(m): 6:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
Gej i,admire your gentleness.You are truly a patriot who takes the interest of your country above personal interest.Unlike the other black ugly former president.Who takes delight in being on public domain for the wrong reasons.Who always criticized your administration even when his own was nothing to write home about.And the present president who was busy promising to soak baboon and monkeys in blood if he looses an election again.Who was busy taking side with boko haram killing,criticizing every of your policies.Today he has nothing to offer than being a tourist.Their is hunger in the land,uprising kidnapping,robbery cases,fulani herdsmen killing,drop in naira value and many more.You still did not want to mention it to the international community but they are busy blaming their incompetence and directionless on your administration.You are truly a democrat.We love you but God love you more.

5 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by SUPERPACK: 7:01pm On Feb 26, 2016
thundafire:

i guess ur father cnt attend even dy least post in wer he is working call ur father dat ok mumu
is he ur father, did i tag my post Jonathan, if nt mind ur palm wine tapping business

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by alizma: 7:02pm On Feb 26, 2016
So, what are you comfortable commenting on? Why are you in Geneva? I kinda like this part.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by KINGwax007(m): 7:05pm On Feb 26, 2016
did anybody notice that whenever he was to comment of positivity, he is not supposed to comment..lol

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by G12(m): 7:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
Naijacitizen:

Answers questions better than your barbaric and illiterate Dullard presidiot

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by tsephanyah(f): 7:38pm On Feb 26, 2016
Great man after Mandela
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Progressive01(m): 7:41pm On Feb 26, 2016
Breakingtimes
Make I grow horns if I read am.
#next.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Naijacitizen(m): 8:54pm On Feb 26, 2016
KINGwax007:
did anybody notice that whenever he was to comment of positivity, he is not supposed to comment..lol

grin grin

I think na only me waka come see am.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Naijacitizen(m): 8:55pm On Feb 26, 2016
G12:

Answers questions better than your barbaric and illiterate Dullard presidiot

Why calling for my head?

a face your front abeggi

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Naijacitizen(m): 9:20pm On Feb 26, 2016
Built2last:

Anytime you meet your father again...call him that...it fits him better..honestly.

i dont expect you to be angry cos this is someones father too.

My father is not a politician. So, count him out of this dirty game pls.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by chinjo(m): 9:26pm On Feb 26, 2016
To me I think the difference between GEJ interview and PMB interview is Education. One is knowledgeable in international diplomacy while the other is not. Let's have some likes if u CONCUR

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by BeClever: 10:16pm On Feb 26, 2016
When you hear an educated man talk.. Fools can only imagine.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by BeClever: 10:25pm On Feb 26, 2016
KINGwax007:
grin grin

"I can’t comment about what is happening now. It will not be proper as a former president to start making comments – positive comments or negative comments"

The man is an epitome of experience and Nigeria will regret everything that APC has to offer sooner than later.

His heart is definitely pained with the situation, but he is allowing the dullard have his time with pointing out his laxity...

Unlike what they did with him in collaboration with Olusegun Obasonjo..The South_Waste Monster!!

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by kolaaderin: 11:02pm On Feb 26, 2016
Jacobokwusi:
Former President Goodluck Jonathan was in Geneva, Switzerland on Wednesday as a guest of the Geneva Press Club. In this interview with France 24’s Georja Calvin-Smith, the former Nigerian leader spoke on why, for now, he wouldn’t want to talk about the arms scandal rocking his legacy since he left office. He also promised that the PDP will bounce back.

France 24: It’s been a tough year for Nigeria and a tough year arguably for your legacy as the former leader of the country. Your former security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, is currently standing trial for fraud, alleged to have taken billions of dollars of public funds meant for the fight against extremists from Boko Haram. Now, were you at the time aware of any improperly sourced funds funnelled into your re-election campaign of 2015?

Goodluck Jonathan: Thank you. Of course, this issue continues to come up but I always insist that the matters are being investigated and they are in our own courts and in Nigeria when issues are before the courts, you don’t make comments on it. It is considered prejudice. But one thing you will also realise is that for us to have conducted elections across the country – all parts of the country – that means that we prosecuted the war against Boko Haram to a reasonable level, otherwise we couldn’t have been in position to conduct elections across the country and we couldn’t have fought Boko Haram with bare hands. These issues of corruption, issues of misuse of funds are being investigated before the courts and I wouldn’t want to compromise the position of our laws because while I served as the president of Nigeria, I made sure that the judiciary remained independent and made sure there was maximum separation of powers between all arms of government. Having left office, I don’t think I will be the person to say things that will be detrimental to the judicial processes.
So, outside of the case itself, let’s say that there are misdeeds, which have been proven to have been committed during your tenure. Would you feel responsible for any oversight…?
Please, I will not comment in these areas. They are sensitive areas; I wouldn’t want to create more problems for my country.
Even hypothetically?
Please, please.

Over the last year, there has been arguably quite a lot of progress in the battle against Boko Haram extremists. Do you feel that the speed with which progress is being seen on the Buhari is tarnishing your legacy?

Well, I wouldn’t want to make comments that will appear as if I am having a debate with the serving president. I have served the country for five years as a president, three years as a vice president. I’ve tried my best and I’ll encourage the government to continue.

So, how do you feel about progress made in the battle against Boko Haram since you left last year?

I can’t comment about what is happening now. It will not be proper as a former president to start making comments – positive comments or negative comments – but I can tell you that when Boko Haram started in Nigeria, we had no terror experience. We never experienced terror before. Yes, we had robbery and other common crimes but terrorists are people that are not afraid to die. So you need a different mechanism to confront terrorists; you need superior technology so to be able to stop them before they are able to attack. So, we never had the equipment but when we were confronted, we started acquiring and before I left office, we built reasonable capacity. And I believe with what we left behind, and of course, with what the new government will also acquire, they will be able to prosecute this terror war to a reasonable conclusion.

So, what are you comfortable commenting on? Why are you in Geneva?

I’m in Geneva because a particular organisation actually invited me to come while serving as the president but I was unable to. But even after I finished serving, because of the circumstance of the election, because I ensured there was peaceful transition, we were quite pleased and they said they wanted to honour me. I just came to Geneva for that.

What are the biggest changes you have seen under Buhari?

I don’t think it is proper for you to drag me. Please, please, please. I think as a former president, it’s not too good for me to start commenting on issues about my county. If I get back to Nigeria, anything I think to discuss with the president, I will discuss with the president. I have access to the president. So, I will not come and start discussing Nigeria…
But surely there must be some noncontroversial issues or positive issues or positive advancements or positive developments in your country that you will be comfortable sharing with us.
One clear thing about Nigeria that you should appreciate is that we are institutionalising democracy. I believe with a stable government, quite a number of things that people look at as grey will soon be a thing of the past. Most societies passed through this phase of development, even the developed societies. We’ve read the history of almost all nations and every nation passed through different stages. And God willing, Nigeria will soon stabilise and we are progressing very well.

Since you left, your PDP parting is taking a bit of battering. Do you think it has suffered under Buhari at all?

Well, the PDP, definitely we have some minor issues but it is expected. We were in power for 16 years and when we lost the presidency, definitely we’ll have some sort of leadership problem because when you have a president, everybody looks up to the president. But when you no longer have the president, it becomes difficult for the party to have a very strong leadership. I believe whatever you observed will be sorted out and the leaders of the party, elders of the party will be meeting and all these perceived disagreements will soon be sorted out.
On perceived disagreements, prior to your leaving, there were quite a few fractures within the PDP.
Well, every political party always have those misunderstandings. It’s not new; it’s always there. The beginning of PDP, even before I got to Abuja as vice president and president, there were cases where chairmen of the party were asked to step down for some officers and from time to time, there are issues. So, it is not new. What is happening is not new. But I promise you that PDP will stabilise. In fact, by March this year, we are going in for our convention to elect officers at the lowest level of the wards through the local governments, through the states through the zones. Then, of course, the national officers will be elected. That’s just in March, early April. So, the party will bounce back. Whatever you perceive, it always happens and we will get over it. But thank you for the interest.

Source http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/goodluck-jonathan-speaks-on-boko-haram-pdp-and-dasukigate/?

When was the last time GEJ visited Nigeria, he has been on self imposed exile and seriously afraid of coming home, he keeps jumping from America to Europe like a lost son.

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by Nobody: 2:07am On Feb 27, 2016
Couldn't say shit, can't even honestly praise his administration. They fought boko haram for election to hold in all part of the country, who were they fighting before the eve of election? Every question that has to do with buhari, he declined answering them. In Nigeria when matters are in court you don't comment, where him see that one? In our constitution? Hell no! His clueless act still finds him here.
Me I even blame buhari, why is gej still a free man? He don't deserve being one.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by vkon2(m): 2:33am On Feb 27, 2016
While one president reject a invite just because of the state of the country, the other president will go uninvited . Forgetting that the economy his leaving behind is poor
Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by appini: 3:48am On Feb 27, 2016
EasternActivist:

What will you call the present junketing president?

A dullardian

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan Speaks On Boko Haram, PDP And #dasukigate by jay2pee(m): 4:16am On Feb 27, 2016
Good

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Is A Great Leader - Obasanjo / Biafra : Photos From Ipob China 30thmay Biafra Remembrance Day / FG Moves Against Arms Build Up In South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.