Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. (3836 Views)

Buhari's Sick Leave Re-energizes Nigeria's Presidency - Reuters / Lucozade Nigeria Shades President Buhari In New Hilarious Ad / The Truth About FFK: Yemisi Wada’s Camp Rips Femi Olu-Kayode Apart - TheElitesng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by talktimi(m): 9:06am On Feb 27, 2016
By Julia Payne and Ulf Laessing

ABUJA Feb 25 (Reuters) - Almost a year after winning an election on promises to fix Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari's grand vision of reform is fading, with power centralised in his increasingly remote presidency and the bureaucracy in disarray.

After axing almost 50 top civil servants and 40 ambassadors and shaking up ministries in a bid to excise endemic graft, the 73-year-old former military ruler has even started cancelling some weekly cabinet meetings.

His aides said this was because under his predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, the meeting had become a forum for ministers to hand out over-priced contracts to friends.

Critics say the effect has been to leave government rudderless while Africa's biggest economy flatlines.

Power is concentrated in Buhari's office, where files pile up on the desk of his chief of staff. Ministers appointed only in November - more than six months after Buhari's victory - are reluctant to make decisions, diplomats say.

Government insiders admit things may be getting worse before they get better, but say that is to be expected given the scale of the task in hand.

"Of course it's chaos. We're rebuilding a whole system. There is no depth in the bureaucracy," said a senior government source who asked not to be named.

Buhari is too often absent to provide enough personal guidance, according to his critics.

Since taking office in May, he has been on 26 overseas trips, visiting Saudi Arabia and Qatar this week, where officials say he hopes to drum up interest from investors.

His opponents complain that his external focus comes at the expense of the two pillars of the domestic economy - the oil-producing Niger Delta and Lagos, the sprawling megacity that serves as Nigeria's commercial capital.

He has visited neither as president.

NO BUDGET

Buhari has won plaudits from ordinary Nigerians for fighting graft as part of a crackdown on an elite whose wealth has grown for decades while most of the country's 170 million people remained in poverty.

The army under his command has also reconquered territory from the Boko Haram group in the north, though the jihadists still regularly stage suicide attacks.

But the ascetic general has not yet delivered on a promise to create jobs by ending reliance on oil. His civil service cull has cut avenues for graft but also created knowledge gaps, to the point that the government has so far been unable to produce a viable budget.

Buhari last week fired a senior budget official who had been appointed in August, after he helped to produce a draft which labelled car or computer purchases as capital expenditures, according to Nigerian research group Budgit.

One billion naira - more than $5 million at the official exchange rate - had been budgeted for office furniture alone.

"This was really depressing when we expected that this should be a total shift from the wasteful culture that we had had in the past," said Oluseun Onigbinde, founder of the group.

Buhari fired most of the top management at state oil firm NNPC but his replacements have struggled to get a grip on the massive and opaque entity, officials say. Some projects have been delayed as the newcomers struggle to locate the relevant files in the four NNPC towers.

With no regular meetings, ministers are still trying to figure out what they can achieve, officials say. Buhari merged several ministries but since a cabinet retreat in November, he has left them to drift.

Buhari's aides counter that the cabinet meets whenever there is something to decide, and that the government needs time to work out detailed plans - including funding - for such daunting tasks as road-building or the improvement of Nigeria's notoriously erratic power supply.

But a senior civil servant who asked not to be named said ministers struggled to get the attention of Buhari's office. "There is a proposal, a consultancy does a study but then the report gets ignored," he said.

Buhari asked Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to coordinate economic policy, but diplomats say he is being sidelined as the president personally handles all key issues, including a freeze of the naira exchange rate that is crippling investment.

That leaves businessmen wondering how the West African oil producer can survive its worst economic crisis for decades.

"Policy statements hang but there's no trickle down," said Prince Ike Ubaka, head of the All Farmers Association of Nigeria. (Additional reporting by Chijioke Ohuacha; Editing by Ed Cropley and Andrew Roche)

http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFL8N15W3UQ?sp=true

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by YourMrBoo: 9:26am On Feb 27, 2016
Buhari is a dullard
APC is a very big scam scam

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 27, 2016
Nonsense media agency

3 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by talktimi(m): 9:51pm On Feb 27, 2016
Keneking:
Nonsense media agency
just like you abi ?

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Sharplogger(m): 10:04pm On Feb 27, 2016
Keneking:
Nonsense media agency

dunno Y Nigerians are soo blinded from the truth...I weep for this country & I weep the more 4 in vain do I weep cos the wheel of dis country is being staired by a Rockie

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:25pm On Feb 27, 2016
All you have to do is look at the names of the authors and contributors of the article.

3 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Standing5(m): 10:44pm On Feb 27, 2016
Anti-progressive cultural dance group A.K.A. Wailers doing their normal work

4 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Adminisher: 11:06pm On Feb 27, 2016
YourMrBoo:
Buhari is a dullard

This article needs an intellectual to understand. You are a tape recorder programmed to type those six words.
" the bureaucracy lacks depth". Do you understand what that means?. GEJ stripped the civil service of ability to function as the FG was completely privatised. I know for instance that Okonjo was working with only international consultancy companies throughout -like Mckinsey whilst turning the bureaucracy to mere file pushers. Jonathan's government also stripped the ministries of files and key information. Buhari is actually building a government from the scratch.

13 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Adminisher: 11:08pm On Feb 27, 2016
Sharplogger:

dunno Y Nigerians are soo blinded from the truth...I weep for this country & I weep the more 4 in vain do I weep cos the wheel of dis country is being staired by a Rockie

Buhari is a rookie. Ha ha ha.
We brought an NDDC officer into Aso Rock , you did not call him a rookie. You are calling a former head of state, minister of petroleum who was building all the infrastructure during the Abacha regime a rookie. What are you smoking?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Flexherbal(m): 11:20pm On Feb 27, 2016
Let us give our president the benefits of doubt. What I am waiting for is the passage of the budget, before we can conclude.
Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Frankiss44(m): 11:25pm On Feb 27, 2016
IPOB Reuters - Omenka

5 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Frankiss44(m): 11:25pm On Feb 27, 2016
Flexherbal:
Let us give our president the benefits of doubt. What I am waiting for is the passage of the budget, before we can conclude.

Passage of that scam?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by superstar1(m): 11:57pm On Feb 27, 2016
CNN can even join BBC to write any article that suits their fantasy, we the patriots care less.

We voted for our President, we trust him and we believe God will guide and help him to make our dear country a better place for patriotic Nigerians.

As for ipods and wailers, keep wailing and gnashing your teeth........ ko kan aye.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by talktimi(m): 1:00am On Feb 28, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
[s]All you have to do is look at the names of the authors and contributors of the article.[/s]
what happened to their names ?

1 Like

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by ubah84(m): 1:05am On Feb 28, 2016
evil people from d evil region who are afraid of change

3 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by drss(m): 1:10am On Feb 28, 2016
nigerians rejected digital computer n voted an ancient analog computer with daura operating system. starting d system alone takes 7 months to boot, not to talk of using d economic policy software program in d computer dat takes eternity to open.

21 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by talktimi(m): 1:31am On Feb 28, 2016
ubah84:
evil people from d evil region who are afraid of change
pls stop tribalizing my thread

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by drss(m): 1:37am On Feb 28, 2016
lalasticlala happy sunday.
Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by appini: 1:48am On Feb 28, 2016
Adminisher:

This article needs an intellectual to understand. You are a tape recorder programmed to type those six words.
" the bureaucracy lacks depth". Do you understand what that means?. GEJ stripped the civil service of ability to function as the FG was completely privatised. I know for instance that Okonjo was working with only international consultancy companies throughout -like Mckinsey whilst turning the bureaucracy to mere file pushers. Jonathan's government also stripped the ministries of files and key information. Buhari is actually building a government from the scratch.

Nice one, this is how Lie Mohammed started. Kontinu

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by talktimi(m): 2:14am On Feb 28, 2016
appini:

Nice one, this is how Lie Mohammed started. Kontinu
grin you dey mind them?

7 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Totalman1(m): 3:19am On Feb 28, 2016
YourMrBoo:
Buhari is a dullard
I wonder y people are not objective enough to face issues instead of d person of PMB.
Nigeria is d issue, not Buhari

2 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by tuk2ato(m): 3:54am On Feb 28, 2016
There are some truths about the article, the president has to learn how to delegate more often, to me i dont think he needs to personally make all those overseas trips, there are ministers he can delegate it to. There are secession threats in the SE and SS, militancy and pipeline vandalisation in the SS, yet he hasnt visited these areas and he has made 26 whooping trips overseas. Each trip the president makes cost more foreign currency which could be greatly reduced if he had delegated the trip to someone else. The president is doing well in his fight against corruption, albeit one-sided, but corruption isnt the only issue in Nigeria that needs to be addressed. The president needs to focus more of his attention on the domestic issues.

4 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Leboska(m): 5:50am On Feb 28, 2016
Totalman1:

I wonder y people are not objective enough to face issues instead of d person of PMB.
Nigeria is d issue, not Buhari
Because that thing called buhari is a truck of bad luck affecting anything he touches e.g Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by ZZ22: 6:05am On Feb 28, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
All you have to do is look at the names of the authors and contributors of the article.
The names have nothing to do with the message. Learn how to digest the truth

6 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by modath(f): 6:16am On Feb 28, 2016
Government insiders admit things may be getting worse before they get better, but say that is to be expected given the scale of the task in hand.

3 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by Pidggin(f): 6:20am On Feb 28, 2016
It appears change in this case is a very bad thing

5 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by lurther: 6:25am On Feb 28, 2016
Even if Buhari brings down the country to its knee..... you would still support him....i am typing this with serious heat on me because we have not see light here for over a week.

Just admit....you are so ashamed to axxept that you have made a mistake, hence you now call yourself patriotic nigeria.
superstar1:
CNN can even join BBC to write any article that suits their fantasy, we the patriots care less.

We voted for our President, we trust him and we believe God will guide and help him to make our dear country a better place for patriotic Nigerians.

As for ipods and wailers, keep wailing and gnashing your teeth........ ko kan aye.

6 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by francizy(m): 6:33am On Feb 28, 2016
Keneking:
Nonsense media agency

I think it's high time Tinubu upgrades this guy's OS from Lyons Electronic Office (LEO) of the 50s to MIT operating system, still of the 50s. This is because this system is malfunctioning a bit, however; any upgrade beyond the 50s OS will make this system crash completely..

6 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by francizy(m): 6:43am On Feb 28, 2016
Sharplogger:

dunno Y Nigerians are soo blinded from the truth...I weep for this country & I weep the more 4 in vain do I weep cos the wheel of dis country is being staired by a deceptive, corrupt, certigicateless, ethnocentric, religious, bigoted and tyrannic conman who cares less about the common man

Fixed! cool

2 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by caselessogbuagu: 6:45am On Feb 28, 2016
OP, go and learn English language; there's nothing "scathing" or "ripping" about this article. It's nothing but usual rants we get from the iPod youths.

See the iPod youth below.

(Additional reporting by Chijioke Ohuacha ; Editing by Ed Cropley and Andrew Roche)

2 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by fitzmayowa: 6:47am On Feb 28, 2016
Keneking:
Nonsense media agency

I even heard it's namdi Kane that owns Reuters...Yeye dey smell

4 Likes

Re: Reuters Rips Buhari In Scathing Article. by caselessogbuagu: 6:50am On Feb 28, 2016
Standing5:
Anti-progressive cultural dance group A.K.A. Wailers doing their normal work
grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Can I Still Get "Wailers Form"? / Otunba Kayode Oke / T.Y. Danjuma's Call For Violence And What He Has Not Told Nigerians, By Kolawole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.