Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,891 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

FG To Establish National Carrier - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FG To Establish National Carrier (20280 Views)

Nigeria Air: 11 Things You Should Know About The New National Carrier / Nigeria Air… FG Unveils New National Carrier / FG To Merge Arik, Aero As National Carrier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by modath(f): 11:07am On Feb 29, 2016
Firefire:

I understand your view, but I presume we are in CHANGE ? grin

Must everything be reduced to the dregs of petty politics , is there no place for rational thinking & humanity?

PMB can do it but what happens when he leaves office?

Should have known the patriotism was a mere ruse, it is foolhardy to expect sweet juice from bitter leaf!!

As I will always advise you, some things are & should be beneath grown ups, life goes beyond bellyaching over Tinubu, chief of neverland. sad
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Zelex9(m): 11:13am On Feb 29, 2016
I'm indifferent from the issue, my initial thought is resources would be better spent on projects that require immediate attention but i understand that just because FG is looking into the idea of a national carrier doesn't stop them from working on other projects simultaneously. I also understand that aviation in Nigeria most likely has the greatest percentage of total transportation value, hence from an economic perspective it would be reasonable for the FG to be look into opportunities within the industry in diversifying the economy.

cekhoe:
misplaced priorities,but on the other hand those railways will never work because transport companies will sabotage it

Sorry, but would you mind explaining why you think so?

1 Like

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by ogmaskman: 11:14am On Feb 29, 2016
senier007:
Change is when we start patronising our product over foreign product
Change is never a scam
Change is a process
Change is dynamic
Change is painful from the beginning
Change is when leaders are working for the masses
Change is inevitable
Change is when consequences have equal action
Change is when wailers wail all the time
Change is a gradual process
Change also have enemies
Change is a "group thinking" result
But at the END we will all be proud of our country

Change is here to stay

GBAM!!!!!

But Lai Mohammed get to key in. He talks like he is still in the opposition.

Change is telling some truth!
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 11:18am On Feb 29, 2016
Zelex9:
I'm indifferent from the issue, my initial thought is resources would be better spent on projects that require immediate attention but i understand that just because FG is looking into the idea of a national carrier doesn't stop them from working on other projects simultaneously. I also understand that aviation in Nigeria most likely has the greatest percentage of total transportation value, hence from an economic perspective it would be reasonable for the FG to be look into opportunities within the industry in diversifying the economy.

Sorry, but would you mind explaining why you think so?
you should also ask me why I also think our power sector has been under sabotage by generator importers and the likes
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by modath(f): 11:19am On Feb 29, 2016
rusher14:

[b]Why do you think a national carrier must be wholly financed by government?

Government could own a stake, just as in a joint venture.

Find out about KLM, Air France etc.

Why do you think it won't?

Neither of us is in the know, so my point is from the basis of it being government wholly or majority owned, if the venture is on a 50/50 or govt owning 40% & nepotism, favoritism, cronyism aren't given leeway then I'm all for that...

Who wants to fly & be fumigated while in the aircraft?

As for knowing about KLMAIRFRANCE, I do & can tell you a bit about BA, Emirates, Delta, AA etc as well, thx... smiley

1 Like

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Zelex9(m): 11:22am On Feb 29, 2016
cekhoe:
you should also ask me why I also think our power sector has been under sabotage by generator importers and the likes

I still don't see in what way this would apply to the railway industry, would you care to enlighten me?
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 29, 2016
Zelex9:

I still don't see in what way this would apply to the railway industry, would you care to enlighten me?
given the amount pumped into our railways by past administrations,I see no other reason why.it shouldn't be working if nothing else but sabotage in the disguise of mismanagement, let's ask our selves,if our railways are working, who will be hit,the transport companies, if light becomes stable,who will be hit,the generator and spare parts importers, politics is just a tool for sabotage
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by rusher14: 11:31am On Feb 29, 2016
modath:

Neither of us is in the know, so my point is from the basis of it being government wholly or majority owned, if the venture is on a 50/50 or govt owning 40% & nepotism, favoritism, cronyism aren't given leeway then I'm all for that...

As for knowing about KLMAIRFRANCE, I do & can tell you a bit about BA, Emirates, Delta, AA etc as well, thx... smiley

Then there's no need to criticise details of which we know little about. Don't you think?
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Babacele: 11:34am On Feb 29, 2016
modath:

Are Kenyans & Ethiopians like Nigerians?

Gen B, you seem not to get the issue, I would love a national carrier but our people don't know how to care for things that they don't have personal/vested interest...
.....but we used to have Nigerian Airways but what happened to it? Maybe the answer may make him understand our skepticism. We are hopeful though cos of d new Sherrif.

1 Like

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 11:44am On Feb 29, 2016
oliver003:
Why PMB is departing from all what he said during his campaign . During campaign he was asked about bringing back the national carrier, I watched that interview myself and his response was that his concerned on how to develop railways system because the railway will benefit poor nigerians than the national carrier. Had he finished developed the rail systems?

They can do both. The airline industry is presently dominated by a foreign cartel that fixes prices at will. Their income is also repatriated abroad at great cost to Nigeria. A domestic carrier enables government to impact pricing in a big way and reduce fx outflows. It allows it take advantage of the various bilateral airline service agreements which are currently one sided in favour of foreign airlines.

The railways already have contracts signed and some work is already underway. I see no reason why we can't do both. None.

1 Like

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by modath(f): 11:53am On Feb 29, 2016
rusher14:

[b]Why do you think a national carrier must be wholly financed by government?

Government could own a stake, just as in a joint venture.

Find out about KLM, Air France etc.

Whyem15 & officialIyanu ... learn to read & comprehend before jumping in mentions!

Enemy of Nigeria? Me? Really? , very Funny! smiley

PMB isn't infallible, we would be doing him & ourselves a great injustice if we didn't point out obvious pitfalls...
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 29, 2016
But a national airline can generate income for the government to use to improve our airports.
repogirl:
Our international airports are crap and they are concerned with national carrier? Jokers!
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by modath(f): 12:05pm On Feb 29, 2016
@ greenpasture

Your post is on point, didn't look at it from that angle

@ babacele

Thanks for getting my point, I'm not against the idea, it is the Nigerian factor prompting me to be sceptical...
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Zelex9(m): 12:05pm On Feb 29, 2016
cekhoe:
given the amount pumped into our railways by past administrations,I see no other reason why.it shouldn't be working if nothing else but sabotage in the disguise of mismanagement, let's ask our selves,if our railways are working, who will be hit,the transport companies, if light becomes stable,who will be hit,the generator and spare parts importers, politics is just a tool for sabotage

Valid points based on what you have seen from previous governments (I wouldn't disagree with you on that part), however with regards to rail, I would like to note that the Railways bill is currently going through 2nd reading at the senate which entails the privatization of the railways which will hopefully lead to limited government involvement which has its bane. That's why I like Buhari's persona, he may not be perfect but he has caused all these politicians to sit up and scrutinize each policy, contracts etc . Just this morning the senate ad-hoc committee discovered almost 40 railways contract were beached between 2010-2014. Why now have they discovered this now? I believe it all starts from a leader that has the intention to do right for the masses. The tasks at hand are monumental, and I, myself have been quite skeptical but I don't agree with you that the railways etc will not work.
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 29, 2016
Well every Nigerian has a vested interest in our national carrier.

That Nigerian Airways and indeed Nigeria itself, was destroyed is down to the fact that we allowed criminals such as IBB and Thief Obasanjo to rule the country us for 8years and 11 years respectively and they instituted corruption and a looting culture.

We have to believe that Nigerians can learn from the past mistakes and not allow the level of corruption we experienced under IBB , Thief Obasanjo and GEJ governments to resurface.

modath:

Are Kenyans & Ethiopians like Nigerians?

Gen B, you seem not to get the issue, I would love a national carrier but our people don't know how to care for things that they don't have personal/vested interest...
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 29, 2016
Zelex9:

Valid points based on what you have seen from previous governments (I wouldn't disagree with you on that part), however with regards to rail, I would like to note that the Railways bill is currently going through 2nd reading at the senate which entails the privatization of the railways which will hopefully lead to limited government involvement which has its bane. That's why I like Buhari's persona, he may not be perfect but he has caused all these politicians to sit up and scrutinize each policy, contracts etc . Just this morning the senate ad-hoc committee discovered almost 40 railways contract were beached between 2010-2014. Why now have they discovered this now? I believe it all starts from a leader that has the intention to do right for the masses. The tasks at hand are monumental, and I, myself have been quite skeptical but I don't agree with you that the railways etc will not work.
I didn't vote during the elections for just two reasons,and I long lost my faith in the government, until I see actions, I will always be skeptical about the government, from fighting corruption to developmental project's with zoning agenda and the likes
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by HAH: 12:15pm On Feb 29, 2016
To set up a national carrier I will advice the president to incorporate a company that will be managed independent of government but as a business venture.

The carrier should start with 20 planes, 10 for international route(Lomdon, newyork, Dubai, china and south africa via kenya) then the other 10 plane should ply local routes, the local flights should be N10k flats as fare per drop and payment is strictly through e payment or pos.

The MD of the national carrier should be an expatriate with minimum of 25 years working experience in an international airline

The planes will be bought on hire purchase from Boeing and airbus to be paid over 10 years with guarantee from the FGN

1 Like

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by alaskido(m): 12:15pm On Feb 29, 2016
A National Carrier? In this hot competition with private airlines owned by same politicians. We all know what will happen to the national carrier. The same politicians will ensure it does not thrive. I cry for my country called Nigeria. Who is advising PMB to do this. I hope it is not Liar Mohammed o. Cause that man is an old and confused rag.
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by emi14: 12:25pm On Feb 29, 2016
HiddenShadow:
Nonsense
Why do Nigerians especially the so called sophisticated ones have short memories.
Have we forgotten why Nigerian Airways was discarded in the first place.
Have we forgotten how nepotism tribalism corruption and peoples attitude to government properties destroyed Nigerian Airways NITEL NEPA NPA etc
Why not the useless government restore NITEL why banning other networks if we feel they are on the right path.
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 29, 2016
Dee60:
There is nothing wrong with having A Nigeria Airways where FG has minority shares. Wait till he gives details before you crucify him!
The national carrier should be open to public to buy shares in it. Ideally, the FG may have 20% equity; foreigners and foreign institutions 40%; and other Nigerian investors 40%.

Arik Air, which will launch it's IPO next year, could be encouraged to merge with one or two Nigerian airlines to form a new national carrier.

Within 5 years, the airline should be flying to no less than 30 international destinations and have at least 50 aircraft in its fleet. Already, the present Arik will have close to that number of aircraft in its fleet within the next one year.
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by emi14: 12:29pm On Feb 29, 2016
When you ban other networks as suggested their will be no competition in telecommunications. Yes let nitel be updated or upgraded .
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by BLACKPANTHER(m): 1:16pm On Feb 29, 2016
[quote author=HiddenShadow post=43346468]Nonsense
Why do Nigerians especially the so called sophisticated ones have short memories.
Have we forgotten how nepotism tribalism corruption and peoples attitude to government properties destroyed Nigerian Airways NITEL NEPA NPA etc
Why not the useless government restore NITEL why banning other networks if we feel they are on the right path.

OKOKO HEADED THINKING
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 29, 2016
Let the private enterprises do that for us, we dont have resources to fund a national carrier, twill collapse again like before.

1 Like

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by tunde1200(m): 2:37pm On Feb 29, 2016
You hae said it all bro.
Light is what we need first national airline is a pipe dream.
Govt don't have the funds to sustain national carrier.

DankemzI:
Good one
Those Kano pilots will now be employed lipsrsealed

Fashola give us light
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Mackson01: 2:45pm On Feb 29, 2016
Ethiopia airline is the best in Africa. Nigeria should wake up & get one thing right

1 Like

Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Mike008(m): 6:31pm On Feb 29, 2016
HiddenShadow:
Nonsense

LOUDER! The "useless government" can't hear you. She is too busy working grin
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Mike008(m): 6:37pm On Feb 29, 2016
modath:

Nigerian Airways ojare, that is dead and gone..

No matter how noble the idea is,it's almost a sure bet that it would fail, Nigerians are not nationalistic in our dealings..

This is not an era for impunity.
As much you think Nigerians are not nationalistic in their dealings, real Nigerians are progressive in their thinking.
Your take is an impaired one.
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Mike008(m): 6:50pm On Feb 29, 2016
HAH:
To set up a national carrier I will advice the president to incorporate a company that will be managed independent of government but as a business venture.

The carrier should start with 20 planes, 10 for international route(Lomdon, newyork, Dubai, china and south africa via kenya) then the other 10 plane should ply local routes, the local flights should be N10k flats as fare per drop and payment is strictly through e payment or pos.

The MD of the national carrier should be an expatriate with minimum of 25 years working experience in an international airline

The planes will be bought on hire purchase from Boeing and airbus to be paid over 10 years with guarantee from the FGN

hmmmm! Am impressed.
You can tender your application for Special Adviser to the President on Aviation Matters,
via:
The President,
Through the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,
Aso Villa, Abuja,
Federal Republic of Nigeria. grin
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by Parolee: 6:59pm On Feb 29, 2016
Mackson01:
Ethiopia airline is the best in Africa. Nigeria should wake up & get one thing right

The bolded is a problem though.....why not South African Airways?

Just asking.
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by slimfit1(m): 7:01pm On Feb 29, 2016
repogirl:
Our international airports are crap and they are concerned with national carrier? Jokers!

Thought Clueless built lots of airports.
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by omojeesu(m): 9:08pm On Feb 29, 2016
Another air-waste effort?
Re: FG To Establish National Carrier by TijaniAbu: 4:04pm On Mar 01, 2016
Be like say na Aisha go get d new national carrier airline. Mama Peace newly loading from saloon to watch to planes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Car Bursts Into Flames On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / What You Need To Do If You Get Lost In An Unfamiliar City In Nigeria / Student Visa Success Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.