Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,919 members, 7,814,094 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern (28542 Views)

JAMB Releases Most Sought-after Universities In Nigeria (check Details) / JAMB Releases 2017 UTME Results For Second Batch / JAMB Releases 57,000 Results Of The Saturday UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by richwaks: 3:45pm On Mar 02, 2016
Stupid nonsensical talk...jamb should be scrapped out of dis nation educational system...its just a means to extort money from our youths

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by justiniyke29: 3:47pm On Mar 02, 2016
wrote mine on Monday and scored 210, i know its not much but am happy
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by Macc45(m): 3:48pm On Mar 02, 2016
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by Mediapace: 3:49pm On Mar 02, 2016
What was your score the first time you wrote jamb?
tosyne2much:
Bro, in as much as I'm inclined to agree with you that JAMB is now a determinant of people's dreams.

On the contrary, without JAMB, admission will be on the basis of highest bidder and "somebody knows somebody".. However, the system will be so manipulated that only those who have connections will be admitted while those who know nobody have little chances of being admitted, or perhaps, have no chance at all

It will also be a sort of avenue for extortion whereby applicants will be advised to enrol for their exams when they know that the school does not have the capacity to admit them.. In fact, the post UME of many institutions will escalate to minimum of N10, 000

I think the purpose of JAMB Is to regulate the number of applicants every year. Imagine a situation when JAMB is scrapped giving every student an opportunity to apply for his/her choice of institution, the whole system will be congested, corrupted and messed up; admission will no longer me based on merit

I think JAMB is still the best method to control and curb the population of applicants since we have few schools that cannot habour the increasing number of applicants every year

Lastly, aside JAMB being an exam body, do you have an idea of how much is generated annually from applicants ? They certainly will not scrap it bro
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by OlujobaSamuel: 3:54pm On Mar 02, 2016
if jamb can't stop these schools from conducting post utme, then jamb should be scrapped.
students are already paying an average of 12000 just to secure admission, from admission form to post utme form, admission letter and any other nonsense form they can think of just to extort.
it's better the cut off is raised by the school based on the number of students that choose a particular course and their catchment areas, the cut off should be announced and published by whatever jamb is restructured to or the ministry of education, if you meet the cut off, you get your admission letter from the ministry or new jamb, go to your selected school and register.
All admission letters are provisional till you graduate from the school, so if at any point you can't cope with academic exercise, you are shown the way out.
I don't know why we just can't think and prefer we concentrate on only the money.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by lcoral(f): 4:08pm On Mar 02, 2016
Writing jamb and post ume are all part of d screening exercise. Am sure those without issue won't complain. Scraping jamb and allowing individuals apply to institutions ll thus promote corruption and malpractices.
We all see d malpractice involved even after making d said pume cut-off mark just to get ur course of choice is still a who know man affair. To some extent jamb exam helps to reduce d pressure on d institution.
My advise is who ever is preparing for exams should sit up and serious with preparations and d outcome ll definitely b positive.
Most of us hv siblings preparing for jamb but if we r sincere we can say dat only few truly devout their time for study. Hence, making it difficult to pass d exams.
Those that can afford schooling abroad should do so. I

firstking01:
my brother na lie...the school you are applying for will have maximum of the candidates they want for that session with regards to their respective departments, think about this....

Moreso, do you know how much some people have spent in this jamb alone?, not to talk of appt test?...which country in the world running tertiary education does thatundecided?, that you have to write jamb, write postume?...this is why most parents send their children to study abroad,,,

Talking about congestion, do you have an idea of how many higher institution we have in one state in nigeriaundecided, tosyn, i know ekiti have up to five...this issue is undebatable my brother...you talk like say you never see worst things as a student...abegi, make them scrap amundecided
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by tosyne2much(m): 4:08pm On Mar 02, 2016
Mediapace:
What was your score the first time you wrote jamb?
I scored 213 bro
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by Mediapace: 4:18pm On Mar 02, 2016
Art/science?
By the way which course did you studied at UNI?

Bro these are my own reasons why that so called jamb must be banished not even scraped:
*they only need our failure not our success but i pray all jambites will pass
*It was established when schools were few but now many schools
*Jamb aren't trustworthy in terms of admission and lot more i wouldn't like to mention.
tosyne2much:
I scored 213 bro
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by firstking01(m): 4:21pm On Mar 02, 2016
lcoral:
Writing jamb and post ume are all part of d screening exercise. Am sure those without issue won't complain. Scraping jamb and allowing individuals apply to institutions ll thus promote corruption and malpractices.
We all see d malpractice involved even after making d said pume cut-off mark just to get ur course of choice is still a who know man affair. To some extent jamb exam helps to reduce d pressure on d institution.
My advise is who ever is preparing for exams should sit up and serious with preparations and d outcome ll definitely b positive.
Most of us hv siblings preparing for jamb but if we r sincere we can say dat only few truly devout their time for study. Hence, making it difficult to pass d exams.
Those that can afford schooling abroad should do so. I

well said sister...but let's look @it this way, maybe you didn't read the other of my post earlier...let's say FG now only recomends that candidates shud go pick admission forms in their prefered institution, write their exams, if you hit the department cutoff, instata the system will indicate that you 've been offered provisional admission for that session, there and then they'd print your admission slip for youundecided...now tell me sis, how would fraud and bribery come in here??....i'm sure this strategy is perfectundecided....FG are aware of this but conciously ignored it because of what they achieve from jamb yearly...
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by dan6019(m): 4:21pm On Mar 02, 2016
Did you use: www.jamb.org.ng? This is the site I have been trying to use and they are asking for PIN and serial in addition to the reg no. What am doing wrong pls?
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by tosyne2much(m): 4:28pm On Mar 02, 2016
Mediapace:
Art/science?
By the way which course did you studied at UNI?

Bro these are my own reasons why that so called jamb must be banished not even scraped:
*they only need our failure not our success but i pray all jambites will pass
*It was established when schools were few but now many schools
*Jamb aren't trustworthy in terms of admission and lot more i wouldn't like to mention.
I'm not in the university but a polytechnic

The JAMB of a thing doesn't really make sense just that they won't scrap it
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by AZeD1(m): 4:28pm On Mar 02, 2016
firstking01:
then they should make it an instanta admission...so far you 've gotten the cutoff mark, the system will automatically signy that you 've been given a provisional admissionundecided...my friend, just think of this strategy and give me feedback??

University A has space for 50 law students, 300 people apply for admission and out of the 300, 120 get >= the cut off mark. If the system gives admission automatically, it means the first 50 get the space or you over populate the class.

Pick your poison.
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by Mediapace: 4:32pm On Mar 02, 2016
Which state and town bro?
tosyne2much:
I'm not in the university but a polytechnic

The JAMB of a thing doesn't really make sense just that they won't scrap it
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by AZeD1(m): 4:34pm On Mar 02, 2016
ArodewilliamsT:
For Christ's sakes, Jamb should be scrapped. It's a total waste of time and parent's funds. Apply to universities online and write their exams, if anyone accepts you, fine.

[b] A friend spent 5 years seeking admission, in the 6th year he got admission into 3 different universities in the United states
. I adviced him to sell everything he could and get out as fast as he can. Today he earns $92,500 p.a in the states just 2 years after graduating in the IT industry. God punish nigeria.[/b]

He probably did S.A.T which you can call the American version of Jamb. The difference is in the US, there are thousands of university so not matter your score, you'd get a university willing to take you.
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by tosyne2much(m): 4:35pm On Mar 02, 2016
Mediapace:
Which state and town bro?
Ado-Ekiti
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by Mediapace: 4:36pm On Mar 02, 2016
Nice one bro,more grease to your elbow.
tosyne2much:
Ado-Ekiti

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by gannycute: 4:37pm On Mar 02, 2016
emryxleena:

me..wrote mine yesterday sha
please, were u given calculator and whats the ratio of theoretical questions to calculation question in chemistry and physics. Thanks
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by OlujobaSamuel: 4:45pm On Mar 02, 2016
AZeD1:

University A has space for 50 law students, 300 people apply for admission and out of the 300, 120 get >= the cut off mark. If the system gives admission automatically, it means the first 50 get the space or you over populate the class.

Pick your poison.
the system can also address that.
the result will be arranged according to score. the first 50highest score simply get offer letter for provisional admission.
Remember that all admission letter are provisional till you graduate so it can be revoked at any point in time if it's discovered that you can't cope academically or morally.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by AZeD1(m): 4:51pm On Mar 02, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

the system can also address that.
the result will be arranged according to score. the first 50highest score simply get offer letter for provisional admission.
Remember that all admission letter are provisional till you graduate so it can be revoked at any point in time if it's discovered that you can't cope academically or morally.
It means 70 people don't get admission and would have to apply the following year, same scenario with JAMB except that with JAMB you can change your school of choice after seeing your result but there's no way university B would admit you because you passed university A's entrance exam.
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by stancod(m): 4:56pm On Mar 02, 2016
firstking01:
Jamb should be scraped...this same jamb kept me @home for 4years and plus before i gained admissionundecided...look @the way students are failing jamb because of poor way of conducting the cbt, in most cases the system breaks down in the middle of the exam leaving the candidates helplessundecided..

I 've said it before and i'd repeat...they should scrap jamb, any student that wants admission should go to the institution of his or her choice and obtain their customized form, write their entry exam, if he or she passes then the school should admit the person, if he or she fails, the student should wait for next year.
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by firstking01(m): 4:59pm On Mar 02, 2016
AZeD1:

Pick your poison.
ofcourse not everybody will hit the cutoff mark, those that couldn't meet up will apply for supplementary
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by AZeD1(m): 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2016
firstking01:
ofcourse not everybody will hit the cutoff mark, those that couldn't meet up will apply for supplementary

??
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by OlujobaSamuel: 5:07pm On Mar 02, 2016
AZeD1:

It means 70 people don't get admission and would have to apply the following year, same scenario with JAMB except that with JAMB you can change your school of choice after seeing your result but there's no way university B would admit you because you passed university A's entrance exam.
the options should be increased.
see my previous post. also note that the schools not filled to capacity is due mostly to fee.
If I choose UI, and I checked my score but not good enough, you should know that there is 85% probability that those that beat the cut off for a Lautech is more than the available capacity. Schools that mostly accept students with lower score are private institutions, so how many students can afford such?
My previous comment speaks more on it.
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by AZeD1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 02, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

the options should be increased.
see my previous post. also note that the schools not filled to capacity is due mostly to fee.
If I choose UI, and I checked my score but not good enough, you should know that there is 85% probability that those that beat the cut off for a Lautech is more than the available capacity. Schools that mostly accept students with lower score are private institutions, so how many students can afford such?
My previous comment speaks more on it.
You don't understand the problem.
Total spaces available in Nigerian universities == 500k
Total students appyling for admission == 1.5M

No matter which method you take (Jamb or apply to the school directly) some students who are qualified will not be admitted.

Scrapping Jamb doesn't solve anything, rather it would increase the problems faced because schools can sell admission to the highest bidder.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by emryxleena(m): 5:58pm On Mar 02, 2016
gannycute:
please, were u given calculator and whats the ratio of theoretical questions to calculation question in chemistry and physics. Thanks

At my centre , there was no ON-screen calculator ..we were given jambs calculator which was collected after the exam.. The calculations were nt much sha..but i dnt know the exact ratio..

ThanK God For me i Made 216
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by OlujobaSamuel: 6:08pm On Mar 02, 2016
AZeD1:

You don't understand the problem.
Total spaces available in Nigerian universities == 500k
Total students appyling for admission == 1.5M

No matter which method you take (Jamb or apply to the school directly) some students who are qualified will not be admitted.

Scrapping Jamb doesn't solve anything, rather it would increase the problems faced because schools can sell admission to the highest bidder.
our tertiary institutions combined admission capacity is 500k, average number of candidates per year is 1.5m
This is an issue I have also tried to address in one of my previous threads, but it's different from the one at hand.
Am particular about the current system and not the capacity.
Jamb sells form for 6k or 7k, schools sells post utme form and result checker at about 3k average, jamb sells admission letter printing scratch card at similar cost. Not adding other costs like change of institutions which is usually optional.
If the schools can't be stopped from conducting post utme, then jamb is useless, what gave birth to jamb initially was to ensure a level playing field, but you and I know that we no longer have such except we want to deceive ourselves.
Educational policy should not be base on trial and error approach, sadly, that's what we have been doing.
A government that does not have NIMC in all lga of the federation is introducing CBT exam, how ironic. If we can say 18years old and above is not knowledgeable enough for e-e-e-voting then a student of lesser age should have no business with cbt.
if jamb will conduct exam every year, why should the school re-test the students with the cost attached?
neco/waec, utme, post utme, 3tests just to secure admission, job application sef no reach 3.
schools and jamb have turned it to money making venture. Nothing like exercising of the brain again.
On CAPACITY
it's more of the fg than jamb, fg should restructure our schools and end the disparity in our system. Poly should be just 2years+1year intern, any other additional period should give you a degree equivalent, whatever name they want, they can give it, ditto for NCE. send away redundant lecturers, upgrade all that can bee upgraded, the ones that can't should be turned to vocational centres.
am not a fan of building university in all states, it's useless, the current ones should be maximized. Aside the tertiary institutions in Lagos State, am not so sure there is anywhere with ΒΌ utilization of the available land mass, the land has no economic advantage nor academic advantage, why should the government get another 100s hectares of land from some villagers and render it redundant in the name of establishing a university?
So many things are just wrong, and we prefer the easiest route, hence creating more wrongs.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 02, 2016
tosyne2much:
Ado-Ekiti
Are you an indigene of Ekiti?
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by gannycute: 7:16pm On Mar 02, 2016
emryxleena:

At my centre , there was no ON-screen calculator ..we were given jambs calculator which was collected after the exam.. The calculations were nt much sha..but i dnt know the exact ratio..

ThanK God For me i Made 216
thanks. Is the register and comprehension passage the same with those that wrote days before yours. And did they recycle questions or its different questions for each day.
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by temmydee181(m): 7:28pm On Mar 02, 2016
Nonsense.... who iz deceivin who??.... d minister of education only went to Abuja jamb centres n he said he waz comfortable wit d way d exam waz bin conducted.
#SMH
Has he bin to d centrez in statez were dere iz no stable power??

1 Like

Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by kolmart: 7:33pm On Mar 02, 2016
I think is right time for the editor of naira land forum to begin the screening of the commentators. I observed that some mad and poverty ridden people here have something good to comment on. imagine a tout and bike fought and one of them was dead, and a dull and half dead somebody attributed the cause of the fight to Buhari can you imagine that some people were born not to be reasonable in all things. This group of people are not fit to be living within living beings cause whoever can't think deeply belongs to those animals living in the bush.
Re: JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern by tosyne2much(m): 8:46pm On Mar 02, 2016
adepeter26:

Are you an indigene of Ekiti?
Yes I'm an indigene of Ekiti cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

16 Things Every Nigerian Who Was A Prefect In Secondary School Will Remember / Delta State University In Pictures / Unilorin 2017/2018 Postgraduate Aspirants Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.