Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) (53448 Views)

Peter Rufai's Car Bashed By American Embassy Officials Who Pursued Him / Stephen Keshi, Sam Okwaraji And Peter Rufai (Throwback Photo) / Kanu Nwankwo, Peter Rufai In Bauchi For Novelty Match.Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by mmsen: 10:48am On Mar 03, 2016
No one claims that this man is the best Nigeria has ever had, Rufai used to cause heart attacks with his blunders.

Enyeama is significantly better.

Nonetheless, glad to see him doing well.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by gbaskiboy: 10:52am On Mar 03, 2016
southniyikaye:
who is peter rufai? Nigeria only has one best keeper and his name is

Keeper rufai
hahahahahahahhaha I could still remember then, when we called him keeper rufail, instead of peter rufai grin grin
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Mudley313: 10:54am On Mar 03, 2016
MadCow1:

That game was fhucked from the start..

The team was just remarkably poor in france.

Not really. We still were able to make it to the second round (something we could not do in Korea and SA) and remember our win over Spain with Raul, Morientes, Hierro, Zubizaretta etc

But, a lot of the stars in the team were evidently aging especially the backline from Taribo to Ikechukwu so it was not only Rufai's fault, defense was poor and our main Atlanta 96 star, Kanu, just came off a heart surgery

Atlanta 96 was when everyone was in their peak

1 Like

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by ibkgab001: 10:55am On Mar 03, 2016
God bless him ... We call him keeper Rufai

And someone will say Fata rofo
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by sherif4owo(m): 10:55am On Mar 03, 2016
back then I used to call him Keeper Rufai .. unknown to me it just rhyme with Perter Rufai ;Dback then I used to call him Keeper Rufai .. unknown to me it just rhyme with Perter Rufai
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by somez(m): 10:55am On Mar 03, 2016
The one in the middle sir.
iamrealdeji:
Is he the one on the left or right?

1 Like

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Krismart(m): 11:02am On Mar 03, 2016
Still looking young and strong, real sportsman
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by oodua1stson: 11:06am On Mar 03, 2016
goldfish80:
This guy cost us big time in France 98. I couldnt sleep for days after watching Ebbie Sand, and gang take turns to put the ball through his legs in the 4.1 drubbing at the Stade de France.
He embarrassed himself and let the Country down big time.
I will choose Vincente everyday of the week
funny how people who have never done anything good for their own family will come online to tarnish someone who actually did something for the whole Nigeria.

A man who under him we were the 5th best team in the world.

In 98 he was old and not the 1st choice. It was the injury to Ike Shorunmu that made him start at the world cup 98 and he did very well considering that was when FIFA and Adidas went the way of rubber balls instead of leather.

And your hero Enyeama also cost us qualification to the world cup in 2006 when he conceded one of the cheapest goals ever against Angola

But why am I wasting my time. A fool will never see greatness even if it hits him on the head

6 Likes

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by tickles2luv2016(m): 11:17am On Mar 03, 2016
iamrealdeji:

He's d one on d left,if you were not born around the 80 you will not know much about him.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by AsianTotal: 11:28am On Mar 03, 2016
goldfish80:
This guy cost us big time in France 98. I couldnt sleep for days after watching Ebbie Sand, and gang take turns to put the ball through his legs in the 4.1 drubbing at the Stade de France.

I thought I was the only one that match affected. In-fact, that match changed me completely. I used to believe in Super Eagles 100% and even at 3-0 I had the believe we will still overcome. Kanu's one on one end of first half fluff with Peter Schmeichel jolted me completely.
After the match it was so bad that I permanently lost my appetite for super eagles games, right now I can even decide to stroll out o the house if a top class S.E match is on live.
The Denmark massacre of Nigeria completely changed me.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by shrimati(m): 11:37am On Mar 03, 2016
Mars88:

he maneuvered his way to the team and Joseph Dosu or so had that terrible accident and couldn't make it to France.
yeah Dosu would have been another choice, but the god of soccer was not just not on our side that we had to take Rufai to the world cup. It was so bad that time... that I had to believe the rumour of replay...
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Badgers14: 11:38am On Mar 03, 2016
LastMumu:

I think say na only me the thing dey affect. Despite how good Rufai was for us, he really messed up in France 98. angry
His biggest problem then was parrying shots into dangerous areas which obviously allowed our opponent strikers easy tap-ins

I feel your pain.. grin i remember that game like it was yesterday.... Rumor had it then that the game was sold to Denmark lipsrsealed not saying it is true or not but that game was very one-sided... None of the super eagles player showed up ... I remember one of the free kicks "Papillo" was the only one that jumped up from the wall and the ball passed under his legs and am like shocked
Believe me, some people at newspaper stand are still investigating that game grin grin

Cheers!!
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by shrimati(m): 11:47am On Mar 03, 2016
efilefun:
He even complained of eyes prob after that Raul goal against Spain
I could not have blamed him anyway he only came to salvage the situation... The only keeper available then was one Akanji or so that deputised for Ike then and that guy was just not fit.. Rufai was just the only experience goalie but around then.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by shrimati(m): 11:48am On Mar 03, 2016
efilefun:
He even complained of eyes prob after that Raul goal against Spain
I could not have blamed him anyway he only came to salvage the situation... The only keeper available then was one Akanji or so that deputised for Ike then and that guy was just not fit.. Rufai was just the only experience goalie around then.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by olanje: 11:56am On Mar 03, 2016
comodo:
Its that yeye coach Bora Multivitamin that caused all the problems. After Baruwas goof in a friendly with Ike shorunmus injury he chose to resurrect Rufai that was resting instead of sticking with Willy de cat Okpara. Rather saying that Willy who was then a CAF champion league winner and the best in PSL for Orlando Pirates to be a short GK. Notwithstanding that Peter was having sight problems already.
lolz bro you've got zero chills, bora 'multivitamin' is dat a football supplement or wat? Funi. It's actually 'Bora Milutinovic'
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by waice6571: 11:57am On Mar 03, 2016
goldfish80:

Austin Jay Jay Okocha was super fantastic that day. He was my consolation for that game. Nigeria vs Denmark.

Dodo Mayana Nigeria's best ever in front of goal till date.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Aptitude89(m): 12:10pm On Mar 03, 2016
Dont forget Ike Shorunmu
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 03, 2016
southniyikaye:

Keeper rufai
lmao,it is still the same thing now.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by stagger: 12:12pm On Mar 03, 2016
goldfish80:

He was old and had not played for a long time. He was not supposed to feature in that tournament. He had to be called back from his holiday at the last minute due to injuries to Ike Shorunmu and Willy Opara. Also don't forget that the true number 1 in the country at the time, Joseph Dosu had sustained spinal injuries a year earlier in a car crash after the 1st qualifying game.

Peter Rufai was already semi-retired and there is no way a goalkeeper can perform wonders at a stage like the World Cup after being called back from holiday to join the national team at the last minute.

1 Like

Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by AK6464(m): 12:14pm On Mar 03, 2016
hauwababy:
Peter Rufai is one of the best goal keepers to ever come out of Nigeria. Some even claim he is the best the country has had so far. The keeper who has been away from the public eye for a while now was spotted recently at a charity match.

http://www.yeoal.com/2016/03/photos-check-out-what-nigerias-former.html
My Dodo Mayana
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Segadem(m): 12:18pm On Mar 03, 2016
Last2comment:
Rufai vs Enyeama. Who is better
how can u compared Enyeama with Peter Rufai? But I know some indomie pikin will come now to say otherwise!
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by dyn1800: 12:32pm On Mar 03, 2016
Good old days #KEEPER RUFAI

grin

southniyikaye:

Keeper rufai
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by otokx(m): 12:32pm On Mar 03, 2016
An unsung hero.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by IZZIFLOW(m): 12:39pm On Mar 03, 2016
ifeanyiokolo:
. Bro how did you know what is dodo mayana?
Dodo Mayana is his Nickname
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Niceman4u(m): 12:48pm On Mar 03, 2016
goldfish80:

Ve u passed exam b4 witout reading ur books? Rufai was called back from retirement for d tournament. He was nt prepared for d tournament. Y nt remember his heroics @ Tunisia 94 nd USA 94 nd forget d mistake of France 98.
There s no basis for comparing Rufai nd Enyeama. U can't compare eras because of different factors.
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by rubyradiance(f): 12:50pm On Mar 03, 2016
I remember commentators calling him beautiful Rufai #GaythingsOnTheirMind
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Dexema(m): 1:42pm On Mar 03, 2016
southniyikaye:

Keeper rufai
you really got me there, grin I grew up calling him keeper rufai, dude was good though it was rumoured he had sight issues later in his career...France 98
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by robosky02(m): 1:47pm On Mar 03, 2016
the original dodo mayana
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by menacetosociety: 1:50pm On Mar 03, 2016
djWALE:
Mtchew
Are u a gay?
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by Dexema(m): 1:53pm On Mar 03, 2016
efilefun:
Dosu would have been at France 98 if not for that career ending accident. Baruwa would have been manageable at the post instead of almost "blind" Rufai
kai! stop it there in jesus name! I would have put my aged grandma in between the sticks instead of baruwa, the same baruwa that wanted to turn to Ronaldinho against yugoslavias in form striker Mijatovic?
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by legendsilver(m): 2:37pm On Mar 03, 2016
iamrealdeji:
he is both shocked
Re: Peter Rufai's New Look (Photo) by thompsonosarobo(m): 2:42pm On Mar 03, 2016
Nigeria number one goalkeeper[color=#990000][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mcgregor Vs Mayweather, More Photos From The Arena. / Ex-super Falcon Star, Chichi Igbo Shows Off Her Underpants And Abs (Photo) / Mikel Is Part Of Our Problem – Chelsea’s Club Legend Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.