Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,205 members, 7,845,996 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution (685 Views)

National Assembly Moves To Invoke The Constitution Over Buhari's Health / BIAFRA: Nnamdi Kanu’s Argument Supersedes That Of DSS, Says Foreign Oberver / Senate Moves To Amend 1999 Constitution With 13 Bills.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by fancyupage(f): 10:30pm On Mar 02, 2016
I have never supported an argument that Nigeria should separate especially into Northern and Southern Nigeria for economic reasons. I always believe that we should continue to unite ourselves in diversity. And continue to develop our human capital.

On Ese's elopement or abduction (I prefer this as a minor is not capable of making a rational decision) It is so shameful that Ese's pictures is all over the social media, but the alleged culprit Yinusa have only been identified by a "NAME". Following on from this development I have come to the conclusion that based on the significant difference in our cultural values, it may actually be better we are allowed a referendum in Nigeria if we still want to remain as one. This may be discussed through a legal platform if it is available e.g national assembly.

I respect the culture of the north, I also believe they will value it strongly. However if a culture loudly encourages adults marrying "underage" girls and my culture does not, then it is a clear difference in our values. I am not saying a value is better than the other, but it may be very difficult to uphold a constitution in a country where culture supersedes the constitution.

A country where the Emir or any king irrespective of region in Nigeria is more powerful than the Inspector General of Police cannot be progressive in fighting crime in the 21st century.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by chriskosherbal(m): 10:33pm On Mar 02, 2016
We should all work to make this country great.
Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by fancyupage(f): 10:40pm On Mar 02, 2016
In as much as I will love to agree with you, I cannot see the northerners bowing to the constitution at the expense of their culture, I stand to be corrected.
chriskosherbal:
We should all work to make this country great.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by DankemzI(m): 11:23pm On Mar 02, 2016
Quite true...
So sad my very own state Akwa Ibom betrayed Ojukwu because we were ignorant now the oil well is useless...
Lets go our separate ways

Oil might soon be used to flush toilet undecided
The only thing binding this country is crude oil

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by fistonati(m): 1:13am On Mar 03, 2016
Nigerian culture? Its Northern constitution
Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by Emancipation: 1:54am On Mar 03, 2016
DankemzI:
Quite true...
So sad my very own state Akwa Ibom betrayed Ojukwu because we were ignorant now the oil well is useless...
Lets go our separate ways

Oil might soon be used to flush toilet undecided
The only thing binding this country is crude oil

Oga, Akwa ibom people never betrayed ojukwu. If anything, they were and still are Igbo people's strongest and natural ally. Akwa Ibom people are even better brothers to igbos than some Igbo clans in the Niger delta.
Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by tinkinjow: 6:05am On Mar 03, 2016
I completely agree with u. Even where it's cultural does one culture supersedes another? Is it also cultural to go into a man's house and take his young daughter for marriage without his consent?
In any case, no culture is static. All cultures evolve and refine. There are practices my forebears performed that we hv burried. Islamic northern Nigeria should stop these shameful criminal acts or better draw their boundary. Enough!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by DankemzI(m): 6:19am On Mar 03, 2016
Emancipation:

Oga, Akwa ibom people never betrayed ojukwu. If anything, they were and still are Igbo people's strongest and natural ally. Akwa Ibom people are even better brothers to igbos than some Igbo clans in the Niger delta.

That's true... We're cousins na
Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:44am On Mar 03, 2016
It's not everything you find in the Constitution. A case like the one in question, Ese's abduction or elopement, is treated is one of our two statutory acts on crime: Criminal Code and Penal Code. While the former is used in the down south, the latter is used in the up north. But in this case, considering the abduction or elopement took place in the south, while she was found in the north, I don't know which will be used.
Re: Nigeria Culture Supersedes The Constitution by Pidggin(f): 6:48am On Mar 03, 2016
This issue will expose the true nature of things in the North, let's see if Yinusa will be tried by sharia court or by the judiciary, then we Christians will ask to be tried by elders in our Churches too.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo Attends Kaduna Cultural Day (photos) / APC Candidate In Rivers Demands Refund Of Bribe From INEC Staff / PHOTOS: Aisha Buhari,mrs. Dolapo Osibanjo Attend 2016 Police Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.