Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,234 members, 7,825,904 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) (51822 Views)

Discussions Begin For Britain To Return Looted Benin Bronze Artefacts / Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Origin Of Igbos: Read The Debate Between Two First Class Igbo Monarchs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by VajanahDischaj(f): 8:41pm On Apr 02, 2016
wtf!!!ordinary stone?
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by GooseBaba: 8:43pm On Apr 02, 2016
Bollinger:

For the sake of continuity, it might be better to leave it where it is. If that statue had been in Nigeria, it would have being either lost, stolen, sold, or vandalized.

And all that would have happened because the original owners are stupid or the zoo the thieves created has run amok.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by ritababe(f): 8:43pm On Apr 02, 2016
GooseBaba:

The height of inferiority complex. Was it the whiteman that built it...? If not, why can't we maintain it.

don't want to go into argument now, but know this, that cockerel would have been destroyed now if it was with us.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by IndianBwoy(m): 8:45pm On Apr 02, 2016
Bad idea returning it 2 Nigeria. I heard dey destroy shrines n stuffs.

1 Like

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Nobody: 8:47pm On Apr 02, 2016
themonk:
how is it a benin statue, when it is called "okukor" which means cock in ibo.

you will be surprised that cockerel is called akuko in Yoruba language.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by GooseBaba: 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2016
AlienStar:
Let's face the truth, if that cockerel had been here it must have been destroyed and long forgotten.

Really.... Just like the ones in the Oba's collection. Let's not be misled. This art work was not stolen from a farmer or a fisherman.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Nosnos(f): 8:48pm On Apr 02, 2016
I really don't see the need returning it. I go with the debate of taking it round the world this will definitely popularize the Benin bronze and also expose the Britons selfish colonial rule in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by GooseBaba: 8:50pm On Apr 02, 2016
ritababe:

don't want to go into argument now, but know this, that cockerel would have been destroyed now if it was with us.

Did we destroy the ones left in the Oba's palace.

The only people that would have destroyed it would have been the brainwash religious bigot. Not the real owners.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by ifeanyi83(m): 8:53pm On Apr 02, 2016
This reminds me of the movie "woman in gold". The only difference in this case is that we are not in the front-line of fighting for that cause...it's not hard to see why...
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by psalmsjob: 8:53pm On Apr 02, 2016
themonk:

...its because the persons that acted as 'guides' to the colonials that looted Benin Kingdom back then told their masters that that's the name of the cock statue and literally that's what it is. If it were yorubas it would have been called Akuko to the colonial masters. Just my guess!

For the cock to be there in England means that traditionally, Benin Kingdom extends to there. (Probably explains why that famous Benin/Edo family is excelling in the academics at very young ages in England) This not a guess!
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Etinosajay(m): 8:56pm On Apr 02, 2016
AlienStar:
Let's face the truth, if that cockerel had been here it must have been destroyed and long forgotten.

Have you been to the palace of the Oba of Benin?
Have you been to the National Museum situated in Benin?

I guess not

When you come here, you will find all the returned artifacts, safely kept.

I guess in your place, it's rare to take care of things.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Opharhe: 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
themonk:
It's a confirmed Benin bronze statue looted alongside other artefacts in the Benin war of 1897. About the nomenclature, i think 'okukor' might carry same meaning in both Igbo and Benin languages. Also, don't forget western Igbo was an integral part of the Benin Empire so Benin names in Igbo culture(as we have it in Delta Igbo, Igbanke in Edo etc) or vice versa is not out of place. But this statue is a Benin bronze statue undoubtedly.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by GooseBaba: 9:01pm On Apr 02, 2016
Eddygourdo:
please teach us Wat there were in Africa at the time of their abduction. Defend ur statement

Clearly nollywood has thought you about traditional artifacts. If this was a gift from a royalty to another. Tell me wetin consign Gods inside.

Furthermore, most african artifacts tell a story or serves as a narrative tool for oral historical teachings s. From trade, to travel, riots or everyday activities. History was taught orally but the artifacts give a physical roadmap. Try and educate yourself on your history..
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Etinosajay(m): 9:01pm On Apr 02, 2016
This question is for the Yoruba folks saying let them keep it, it's inconsequential and all that.

If the symbol of oranmiyan had been looted from Ife, and was ready to be returned, will you folks ask them to keep it?

1 Like

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by davide470(m): 9:02pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
Lol

Walahi as I look that chicken ehn...na so I vex.

UK people no get any wahala , thats why they can be arguing abt who owns ordinary chicken. Chicken wey nobody fit chop sef.

Abeg on behalf of those of us queueing for petrol, i say WE DASH UNA .
cheesy My brother I dey tell you. They have no wahala.

Who cares about the chicken..

Within 5 hours, my guy in Benin would produce a replica sharply. Lol.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by AlienStar: 9:03pm On Apr 02, 2016
Oh! Buh does it generate tourism? Why not build a museum for that? I guess not 'cause thieves will certainly loot it for there own advantage.
Etinosajay:

Have you been to the palace of the Oba of Benin?
Have you been to the National Museum situated in Benin?

I guess not

When you come here, you will find all the returned artifacts, safely kept.

I guess in your place, it's rare to take care of things.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by jaybee(f): 9:04pm On Apr 02, 2016
baby124:
BBOC

BBOBBC
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by GooseBaba: 9:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
IndianBwoy:
Bad idea returning it 2 Nigeria. I heard dey destroy shrines n stuffs.

Exactly..!! The destroyers of shrine are the children of Abraham who the same Bristish have brainwashed with self hate....the real owners can maintain it, as long as the zoo keepers give them resources to carry on..

1 Like

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Eddygourdo(m): 9:07pm On Apr 02, 2016
GooseBaba:

Clearly nollywood has thought you about traditional artifacts. If this was a gift from a royalty to another. Tell me wetin consign Gods inside.

Furthermore, most african artifacts tell a story or serves as a narrative tool for oral historical teachings s. From trade, to travel, riots or everyday activities. History was taught orally but the artifacts give a physical roadmap. Try and educate yourself on your history..
really, look at Wat you typed above. Read it and tell me you aren't ashamed. The artisans of old made artitefacts specifically for what purpose? The time period of the time would suggest an aesthetic use, worship and most importantly source of exchange (barter system). Most of those great artifacts where mainly between two categories which are the second and third I mentioned. Thus my assertions that they are or were gods is not moot young man. Many artifacts transcended between periods of worship, periods of barter and as of today aesthetic as depicted I the Cockerell above.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by opius: 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2016
rusher14:
BBOC
Bring Back Our Chicken.
angry

yes .... pls BBOC

1 Like

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2016
rusher14:
BBOC

Bring Back Our Chicken.

angry
Tell those British robbers to return our property.

See them looting the palace of Oba Ovoramwen ==>

1 Like

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Etinosajay(m): 9:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
AlienStar:
Oh! Buh does it generate tourism? Why not build a museum for that? I guess not 'cause thieves will certainly loot it for there own advantage.

You obviously weren't interested in reading what I wrote.

Do you know how many visitors and tourists visit the palace and the National Museum in Benin City in a calendar year?  It generates revenue for the Benin Traditional Council, and the Ministry of Arts and Culture.

Whites, blacks, Europeans, Americans, other Africans. 

Please endeavour to make an attempt to learn what you don't know about.

1 Like

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Nobody: 9:28pm On Apr 02, 2016
If they dash me I no go take. Our current problem in Nigeria is much more than this.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Tex42(m): 9:39pm On Apr 02, 2016
Montaque:
they can keep it. as a price for their stupidity in amalgamating this country.
Epic!

2 Likes

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by macaranta(m): 9:42pm On Apr 02, 2016
rusher14:
BBOC

Bring Back Our Chicken.

angry

angry

1 Like

Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
Lol

Walahi as I look that chicken ehn...na so I vex.

UK people no get any wahala , thats why they can be arguing abt who owns ordinary chicken. Chicken wey nobody fit chop sef.

Abeg on behalf of those of us queueing for petrol
, i say WE DASH UNA .
And you are still abusing people for criticizing this govt.

SMDH
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by GooseBaba: 9:46pm On Apr 02, 2016
Eddygourdo:
really, look at Wat you typed above. Read it and tell me you aren't ashamed. The artisans of old made artitefacts specifically for what purpose? The time period of the time would suggest an aesthetic use, worship and most importantly source of exchange (barter system). Most of those great artifacts where mainly between two categories which are the second and third I mentioned. Thus my assertions that they are or were gods is not moot young man. Many artifacts transcended between periods of worship, periods of barter and as of today aesthetic as depicted I the Cockerell above.

Now your initial nonsense was about the art been the Gods. Clearly, you're inept of what the art represent in traditional mode of worship. The art is a tool, a medium of worship. The art is not worshipped. This is how daft you sound. It's like saying a rosary is Gods of the Catholic or the statues in the Vatican are worshipped.

Then you went over board with barter...!! Try looking up on a Benin masks and see if it does not tell a story. Mind you the Royal palace was ransacked. Not the homes of commoners.
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Youngzedd(m): 9:53pm On Apr 02, 2016
daclint:
this na pure okuko igbo,
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Eddygourdo(m): 9:55pm On Apr 02, 2016
GooseBaba:

Now your initial nonsense was about the art been the Gods. Clearly, you're inept of what the art represent in traditional mode of worship. The art is a tool, a medium of worship. The art is not worshipped. This is how daft you sound. It's like saying a rosary is Gods of the Catholic or the statues in the Vatican are worshipped.

Then you went over board with barter...!! Try looking up on a Benin masks and see if it does not tell a story. Mind you the Royal palace was ransacked. Not the homes of commoners.
and the igboukwu art was found in the home of a king abi. Mr man whatever is housed and it's home revered with a belief that it represents a diety, has superceded a mere medium of expression of that diety. That the molded idols are mere tools so is everything. What matters is Wat is attributed to them. In the African context it's the chi. Man's attempt in creating a semblance with the chi he worships. So oga majority of artifacts with respect to african tradition were gods. To an ignoramus like you, they were mere tools of expression because you feel you have read two or three books, but to the African of the age, that was god.

The Benin masks tell a story people attributed to it, but nevertheless of what purpose was it crafted by the artisans. To tell stories, as a thing of worth to a possible owner, for aesthetic or for worship.

The age was an age of the arts and great men gave gifts of arts to Kings. Thus may have prompted many arts works. But generally the biggest market was the African religion of worshipping idols.

Please young man, that u read two books, learnt think inductively while considering ur reasoning in both objective and subjective contexts. It will help you
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Eddygourdo(m): 10:00pm On Apr 02, 2016
GooseBaba:

and you have evidences that linked all stolen art to homes of Kings and not commoners? Nigerian education is very limited as it makes people not to think for themselves. Please Mr man. Thousands of art abound from different ages. And diverse climes. The art is the key and it was stolen from wherever they were found. It's not surprising most were found in Kings palaces or in ransacked shrines. Well my mention of the shrine retaliates my earlier post on gods
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by Carlmax(m): 10:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
Abeg make dem keep am jare! na dust e go gather for here if them bring am come. abi na me wan go look chicken for tourism? #WeDashUna
Re: Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) by GooseBaba: 10:08pm On Apr 02, 2016
Eddygourdo:
and the igboukwu art was found in the home of a king abi. Mr man whatever is housed and it's home revered with a belief that it represents a diety, has superceded a mere medium of expression of that diety. That the molded idols are mere tools so is everything. What matters is Wat is attributed to them. In the African context it's the chi. Man's attempt in creating a semblance with the chi he worships. So oga majority of artifacts with respect to african tradition were gods. To an ignoramus like you, they were mere tools of expression because you feel you have read two or three books, but to the African of the age, that was god.

The Benin masks tell a story people attributed to it, but nevertheless of what purpose was it crafted by the artisans. To tell stories, as a thing of worth to a possible owner, for aesthetic or for worship.

The age was an age of the arts and great men gave gifts of arts to Kings. Thus may have prompted many arts works. But generally the biggest market was the African religion of worshipping idols.

Please young man, that u read two books, learnt think inductively while considering ur reasoning in both objective and subjective contexts. It will help you

This is just pitiful..

If that be the case (african of that age)then you must agree that the image of Christ, the cross and the bible is idol worshipping. The kabal is idol worshipping. Because both parties would be upset if you desecrate this object.

Kindly tell me which african God or idol you worship. So I can deduct if you're speaking from experience or just regurgitating some rubbish you read in a book.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wuraola Otiti, Ooni's Wife Pregnant? Photos Of Baby Bump / Bees Attack Mourners At Alaafin Of Oyo's Palace / South African Celebrities Who Are Traditional Healers/native Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.