Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Strange When People Refer To Africa In The Same Sense As Us States - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Strange When People Refer To Africa In The Same Sense As Us States (789 Views)

Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - / Fifteen US States File Petition To Secede From The United States / US States Shut-down For Hurricane Sandy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strange When People Refer To Africa In The Same Sense As Us States by Bota: 3:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
Do you ever feel its strange when people are introducing other people publicly and they say '' he has been to California, Florida, Michigan, Maryland AND Africa ! '' Like Africa is another state, not a continent by itself. Is there any reason why this is done? I hear it so often.
Re: Strange When People Refer To Africa In The Same Sense As Us States by SeanT21(f): 7:45pm On Jul 15, 2009
Most people do not know that Africa is a continent. When someone ask me where I am from, I usually say "Africa" b/c the average man don't know that there is a country called Liberia. If they are smart enough to ask me "Where in Africa"then I procede from there.
Re: Strange When People Refer To Africa In The Same Sense As Us States by Nobody: 3:26am On Jul 18, 2009
Its annoying but in fairness to such people, the US is like the size of the entire north, west, east and central Africa combined. Its a wonder the union even lasted this long before Texas and some other elements threatened to break it up.

When an African or non-American refers to the US, they dont immediately distinguish between the different states most times. They just say America or US. So maybe the average American is used to thinking in terms of bigness, which is why they'd see Africa as one big country instead of a lot of squabbling states and tribes.

Likewise India and China are quite huge even though they share land mass with other countries on their continent. But when you say China or India that's quite general given the fact that you're referring to 1 billion people in each country.

My illiterate grandma would call Europe "ilu oyibo"(white people's country) while referring to the US as "Ameriga". I never understood why she did that.
Re: Strange When People Refer To Africa In The Same Sense As Us States by naijaway(m): 11:31pm On Jul 18, 2009
Is really how its supposed to be in a real sense with the exception of the arabs. African unity coupled with some nice machineries will send many of those arabs back to their middle east afterall they have been trying to kill israel for a little portion of their land but have taken more than a quater of africa's land and trying to gain more with the most obvious instance in sudan. Just imagine the speed trains going through all parts of africa, the flights going though all parts without soverign fears, the real african command center made by africans, and all sorts of jobs that would emergy, ethnic and religious tolerance across the continent or at least in 90% of the continent, etc. When we speak who wouldn't listen even china and all their asians combined. A time like that will come to pass and those who will live in those times will really enjoy the real dream of africa where everything best will reside and we will be helpers on many level to the world. We living now have to make a time like that be smooth to transit, understanding, harmonious,etc. And it will come with african extensions all over the world from the carribeans to other continents without dubious ways of having those advantages. I like it when people say that because they see an advantage i have but hasn't materalized yet. but soon.
Hataz can jump off the nearest cliffs close to them without any safe guards. swines.
Re: Strange When People Refer To Africa In The Same Sense As Us States by Bota: 6:54pm On Jul 19, 2009
naijaway:

Is really how its supposed to be in a real sense with the exception of the arabs. African unity coupled with some nice machineries will send many of those arabs back to their middle east afterall they have been trying to kill israel for a little portion of their land but have taken more than a quater of africa's land and trying to gain more with the most obvious instance in sudan. Just imagine the speed trains going through all parts of africa, the flights going though all parts without soverign fears, the real african command center made by africans, and all sorts of jobs that would emergy, ethnic and religious tolerance across the continent or at least in 90% of the continent, etc. When we speak who wouldn't listen even china and all their asians combined. A time like that will come to pass and those who will live in those times will really enjoy the real dream of africa where everything best will reside and we will be helpers on many level to the world. We living now have to make a time like that be smooth to transit, understanding, harmonious,etc. And it will come with african extensions all over the world from the carribeans to other continents without dubious ways of having those advantages. I like it when people say that because they see an advantage i have but hasn't materalized yet. but soon.
Hataz can jump off the nearest cliffs close to them without any safe guards. swines.

I must say I admire your optimism, '' I have a dream, '' (Well, except for the last sentence smiley)

(1) (Reply)

Algeria Prepares To Do Their Own Protest / Bulgarian Politician Survives Assasination Attempt On Live TV / The Out Of Control Chinese Problem In Ghana Is Robbing Her Of Her Resources

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.