Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,789 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:37 PM

Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) (64541 Views)

The Ragamuffins Of Lagos (june 2017): A Sequel To My Lagos Story (june 2016) / The Promise Keeper ( A Story By Uncutz) / In The World Of 3 Women (A Romance Suspense Story by Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by johnspurgeon014(m): 8:14pm On Mar 10, 2016
I've got a presentation on Saturday, so, I'll probably be on the low till Sunday evening. Inasmuch as I'd love to spend every moment here, I've got a lot on my desk. I've got a script to finish and some business stuff to smoothen.

Anyway, I want to introduce http://nanowrimo.org to y'all. It stands for National November Writing Month but has an online writing camp for April, July and November. If you have a writing project you intend to finish by the end of April, be it Short story, script, poetry, or a longer novel, you're welcome to join the free camp and meet up with other writers who are in the same boat. You know what Writers' Camp is all about, but this one is virtual and free, so feel free to check it out if interested.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by DandyPearl(f): 9:38pm On Mar 10, 2016
We'll be here waiting. Cuz this is a nice story. And thanks for the looooooonnnnngggggg update. It was worth the wait afterall! Kudos.

2 Likes

Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by tobex23(m): 7:56am On Mar 11, 2016
wow, that was quite an update. Eager to know what would happen at every scene. Nice, till sunday then.
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by loveyP(f): 10:35am On Mar 11, 2016
Well don john........its such a gr8 story with an interesting plot

1 Like

Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by remiseyi(m): 1:55pm On Mar 11, 2016
DandyPearl:
Yeah v been thinking on the same note. We can only pray all his well*Sighs*

All is well dear... We just need to wait for another couple of days...
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2016
Is it just me? Or is the story a bit too long to be on FP?
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by pabjo: 5:06pm On Mar 12, 2016
Nice epistle
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 12, 2016
Pls I need summary biko
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by hotswagg12: 6:55pm On Mar 12, 2016
Ride on.
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by gal10(f): 7:16pm On Mar 12, 2016
Good story line!! Welldone!!
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by UjSizzle(f): 7:40pm On Mar 12, 2016
Looks good but I'm scared to start a new story now. Academia things grin

Will be back for this lerra.
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by daveP(m): 7:43pm On Mar 12, 2016
Missmossy:
Really enthralling, nice diction. Kudos,keep it coming.
Always the 1st to spot something good. Still find myself saying this 3 years after... wink
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by stefanweeks: 7:47pm On Mar 12, 2016
U don finish?

angry
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by Dumeiby(f): 8:40pm On Mar 12, 2016
its too lengthy.... salute ur eloquence though..
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by ninodaniel(m): 8:47pm On Mar 12, 2016
u expect me to seat down and read ur full novel on NL like seriously?
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by Goridoe(m): 10:11pm On Mar 12, 2016
AH THIS TIN LONG MEHN... AH.. with coda in the body system, na untop here ago sleep b dat... **spreads mat**
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by rawtouch: 12:12am On Mar 13, 2016
Wowww is all I can say right now ol boy u go school abeg waiting for more updates

Drops a carton of alcoholic malt and sits on it
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by DandyPearl(f): 2:18am On Mar 13, 2016
rawtouch:
Wowww is all I can say right now ol boy u go school abeg waiting for more updates

Drops a carton of alcoholic malt and sits on it
You selfish no be small. Y u sit on the malt nahundecided grin
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by drnoel: 6:48am On Mar 13, 2016
Nice story I got. Its bold and exciting. Hope u keep the pace. Keep it up.
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by heemah(f): 7:08am On Mar 13, 2016
Waiting o ooo.... #olivertwist
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by southernbelle(f): 7:23am On Mar 13, 2016
cool cool nice...very nice.
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by DandyPearl(f): 8:33am On Mar 13, 2016
heemah:
Waiting o ooo.... #olivertwist
that's the spirit bestie grin nd good morning
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by rawtouch: 9:57am On Mar 13, 2016
DandyPearl:
You selfish no be small. Y u sit on the malt nahundecided grin

Vex not na because I nor want make e miss, oya take one and cool ur borri

if u need straw tell me u hear cheesy
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by DeGaulle13(m): 11:51am On Mar 13, 2016
Quite a captivating plot..Love conquers all hurdles..Tres bien.
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by Bash92(m): 12:26pm On Mar 13, 2016
Good story. Following
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by simeonkoolluck(m): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
My bro i enjoying story, you really write so good... Can't wait for next chapter
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by Missmossy(f): 2:35pm On Mar 13, 2016
daveP:
Always the 1st to spot something good. Still find myself saying this 3 years after... wink
Hmm...you think so.
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by Tuhndhay(m): 3:05pm On Mar 13, 2016
Thanks Brother for awesome story, it had me online from 2:45 till my phone went dead..... *Thumbs up *
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by jordinsparkles(f): 3:31pm On Mar 13, 2016
Mmmmmmmooooooooorrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee...........Omo, dis story sweet ooo... Wooooow...... That was AWESOME!!!!!! Good job Bro
Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by johnspurgeon014(m): 4:14pm On Mar 13, 2016
CHAPTER TWELVE

Jennifer woke up to the strong smell of barbecue. Her brows were already knit when she opened her eyes, but the sight of Chika sitting on the edge of the bed holding a piece of grilled meat hanging on a stick, with a mischievous grin on her shot her wake-up mood straight to bad. She pushed Chika’s hand away and sat up.
Chika put the meat in her mouth, pulling the stick out of it. She climbed off the bed chewing noisily. Her mouth was quite full of it. Jennifer’s frowning eyes followed her as she went to part the curtains, letting sunlight into the room.
Jennifer was puzzled. “What says the time?” She asked.
“Last I checked… ten-forty-six… A.M, obviously.” Chika replied through a meat filled mouth.
Jennifer groaned, rubbing the rest of the sleep out of her eyes. She sat up in her bed looking very depressed. Her eyes were a bit sunken into their roots while her hair was all tangled.
“Good thing school is out. You almost look like something drawn on Blackbeard’s flag.”
Jennifer only groaned some more. “Get out!” She threw a pillow at Chika but missed.
Chika walked to the bedroom door and opened it. “You forgot about the meat,” she said. “Are you hungry? The rest of the gang are at the yard. We’ve fired up the grill and you are sleeping through fun time.”
This bit of information seemed to fully wake Jennifer up. “Banks is here?” She asked.
Chika frowned. “No, but everyone else is,” she replied.
Jennifer’s disappointment was noticeable. However, she shrugged. “I’ll freshen up first.”
“Good idea ‘cause you’re no sleeping beauty today! How much did you drink when you came home?” Chika ask with a twinge of concern and ran the room, shutting the door against the second pillow Jennifer hurled at her.
Jennifer sat on the bed, sullen at the prospect of beginning the day. She sighed, willing her legs to swing off her bed and walked herself into the bathroom.
Thirty minutes later she descended the stairs looking much more like her usual self. She was now wearing a yellow-striped-on-gray chanelle top and a pair of blue track pants. She could perceive the smell of grilling meat and music playing at the backyard. She made it to the kitchen and out the back doors to the wide expanse that was their backyard. The Home Theatre had been taken outside, Theresa was dancing alone with a bottle of beer in her hand, quite tipsily. Andy was behind the grille. Idara was sitting with Chika, Bayo and Tunde under the pool shade, eating grilled meat and holding beer bottles. They were talking about school.
“Hmm! This early morning!” Jennifer exclaimed.
They all noticed her descending the short flight of steps that led away from the back door.
“Hey sweetie!” Andy called from behind the grille.
“You’re awake, finally,” Idara said, waving her over.
Jennifer tried a weak smile as she went to join them. They were all dressed casually, she noticed. “I heard all the fun in the world was going on in my own backyard and I was missing out.”
“Almost,” Tunde replied, giving her a hug and a peck on the cheek.
Jennifer hugged Bayo and Idara too. Andy handed her a stick of grilled meat and a beer. Jennifer took the meat but declined the beer. Her stomach growled like a dog at the smell of meat so close to her nose. She tore at the soft flesh with her teeth nodding her approval. She gave Andy a thumbs-up and he smiled. She turned to notice that Theresa had stopped dancing and was walking to her with a bit of alcoholic dance in her steps.
“Hey baby! You really look like you could use a drink!” She said when she arrived next to Jennifer and put an arm around her. Jennifer wrinkled her nose.
Idara chuckled. “It’s too early to be drunk Theresa.”
Theresa turned her head at Idara’s direction. “That’s the plan, beyotch! Isn’t it said, all Theresa does is party?” She was a tad louder than necessary. Tunde took her beer bottle from her which she gave up willingly, with an almost sweet smile on her face.
Jennifer couldn’t understand how their relationship had lasted this long. They were different in so many ways. At least, she’d never seen Tunde get drunk. Theresa on the other hand had gotten more blackouts than anyone else Jennifer knew. Jennifer’s stomach growled some more.
“I guess your stomach agrees with what it perceives, huh?” Bayo chuckled.
“She didn’t touch her plate at the dinner party last night,” Chika mentioned. “I doubt she ate anything when she got back. You guys should tell her nothing is worth having an ulcer over.” They all turned to Chika, surprised even though they knew she was prone to sudden mood swings. She shrugged at them, unapologetic.
Jennifer ignored her. “This is really good, Andy.” Banks taught you well, she meant. Banks made the meanest barbecue they’d ever eaten.
“Why? Thank you!” Andy replied, serving Theresa another stick of meat.
“How’re you feeling this morning, Jenny?” Idara asked.
“I’m fine! Who said I was ill?” Jennifer threw Chika and accusatory look and she shrugged. “Of course! Who else but Miss Pettiness?” Jennifer rolled her eyes at Chika. “I only suggested I may need some alone time to work on something new.”
The silence that ensued was quite awkward. The cousins were rarely at log aheads. Everyone ate or sipped their liquor silently. Only Theresa wouldn’t abide the silence. She quipped, “Banks showed up at the after party with that hoe of his.”
Jennifer felt the awkward silence get even worse. She took Theresa’s arms off from around her neck and look around at her friends’ faces. Everyone was reluctant to comment on Theresa’s new topic. Something had gone wrong, again. She threw Chika a quizzing look.
Tunde cleared his throat. “It’s not like you missed much, Jenny… just the usual party scene. Nothing much happened.” Tunde said, trying to ease up the atmosphere created by his girl.
Bayo and Andy exchanged glances and started laughing to themselves. Idara caught on quicker than the rest and grinned at him. Tunde didn’t get it.
“What’s funny?” He asked.
“Have you forgotten in such a hurry?” Bayo asked.
“Isn’t it odd Tunde, that you haven’t mentioned snooker even once since we showed up! Usually, you would’ve ratted us and our lesser abilities on the table out.” Andy said. They all laughed, including Theresa. Chika buried her face in her meat to keep from smiling.
“What are they talking about?” Jennifer asked Tunde.
Tunde shrugged. “Nothing important,” he replied still smarting. Jennifer turned to the rest of them when she finds him unbelievable.
“Well, nothing except she beat you hands-down!” Idara said in between fits of laughter.
“She?” Jennifer asked, confused.
“Yes! Our loud mouthed king of pool…beaten by a girl so badly he offered to forfeit the throne before the game was over.” Bayo said.
“Meanwhile, have you sent Banks the wager you lost?” Andy asked. Tunde nodded and shrugged, his lips a grim line.
“Good, unless you fancy a re—match,” Andy said. “You should’ve seen your jaw drop wider with each successive ball she pocketed. Still fancy yourself a pro?” Andy was clearly having fun at his expense.
Jennifer made to ask if they meant ‘she’ as in Lade, but was interrupted by Theresa’s slurry words.
“That,” Theresa said, “and she trashed the bar like the piece of trash she really is.”
That answered her question.

Jennifer’s curiosity got the better of her. “What do you mean she trashed the place? What happened last night, guys?”
Theresa took it on herself, insensitive to the discomfort of her other friends. “Chika didn’t gist you? You should’ve seen the action film that girl acted last night. She stab one man im leg like that with broken beer bottle.”
Jennifer gasped. “Jeezus!” She looked at the others who conveniently looked away… Apart from Chika who was nonplussed.
“You didn’t really see that Theresa, did you?” Idara asked a bit tentatively, unsure if she should even bother commenting. “And remember that that guy she stabbed assaulted me too, so it was self defence.”
“It was a bar fight! However you chose to look at it Idara, it is what it is! And that is the height of irresponsibility! She is messed up! I wonder what Banks sees in her!’ Theresa quipped, looking to the others for collaboration. Only Chika nodded.
“It is called love where I come from!” Idara continued in support of Banks.
“Love my foot!” Chika muttered under her breath. “What does a gold digging ashewo know about love?”
“And after that embarrassing episode with her P.I.M.P the other night, I thought he would grow some sense… and see that girl for the creeping cockroach she is! She is a tout with a hot body!”
Idara couldn’t take the backbiting anymore. “Creepy cockroach! Tout! Seriously! I never knew we know her that well!”
Bayo cut in. “Aidy!”
“Babe stay out of this!” She had a deep sense of loyalty for her close friends, Bayo knew, and nothing he said or did would stop her from giving them a piece of her mind. Bayo just hoped it won’t come to blows.
“And you think you know her?” Chika asked in a tone dripping with disdain.
Idara turned to face Chika, her face now brimming with anger. “At least I’m not biased… I’ll recognize love anywhere I see it. And maybe if you weren’t so angry at Banks for not choosing your cousin, you would too!”
Chika blew up at that. “What! Don’t you dare use that piece of shit and Jennifer comparatively, please! That girl is like weed! Igbo! Negative publicity each time we hang out!
“That’s enough! I thought we came here to enjoy our first day as graduates together!” Andy said. Idara however was past stopping. She threw the grilled meat in her hand into the pool. “All she ever did was ggrow up poor! And from where I stand, I don’t see how any of that is her fault! I can’t believe you girls are capable of such malice! I can’t believe I’m friends with you both! I’m glad my parents are well off, but I refuse to be a snob!” That said, she walked out on them. Bayo hurried after her calling after her. The rest were stunned. They looked at each other, then as if scripted, they turned to see how Jennifer took the entire exchange.

4 Likes

Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by IamLukas(m): 4:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
Beautiful!

1 Like

Re: Of All The Girls In Lagos (story By John Spurgeon) by judeobi: 4:42pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nice piece! Am taken totally by it. Please do upload next chapter thanks!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Fit Be Second Jesus(sex Na Food 2)the Return Of Spana By Youngzubi / 'my Names Are', Or 'my Name Is' / Chimamanda Adichie Buying Corn By The Roadside In Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.