Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,282 members, 7,818,956 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Fashola Warns Mend - My Action Governor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Warns Mend - My Action Governor (636 Views)

Action Governor Fayose Spotted Checking Drivers Licenses Of Vehicles / I Regret My Action, Says Orubebe / Oshomhole: Talking Governor Or Action Governor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Warns Mend - My Action Governor by blacksta(m): 6:41am On Jul 16, 2009
LAGOS - IN his official reaction to Sunday’s bombing of the Atlas Cove Jetty by men of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta (MEND), Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, yesterday, warned the militants that the action must never repeat itself as the state was quite ready to respond to “this new security threat appropriately”.

Fashola, briefing newsmen on the development after an emergency meeting of the state Security Council condoled with the families of the officers and men of the Armed Forces who were victims of the attack.
Governor Raji Fashola briefing the newsmen after the Lagos State Security meeting at the State House, Marina, Lagos yesterday. Photo by Shola Oyelese

According to Fashola, the attack raises very new questions about what the agitation in the Niger Delta is all about.
He said that Lagos as the headquarters of the national press has been the medium of agitation and as a melting pot of nationalities; the people of Lagos have protected and hosted even displaced Niger Deltans.

He noted that it was quite unfair to have turned on Lagos, the Governor explained that the State itself has been a victim of years of neglect as a former federal capital which continues to serve as the host community to all ethnic communities and as economic nerve centre of the country.

He said: “Is Lagos not also a victim of years of neglect? Is this an agitation without limits, is a friendly and host State fair game?”

“If this (Atlas Cove Jetty bombing) was a mistake, we expect that it must never repeat itself as we will respond to this new security threat appropriately”.

JTF threatens ceasefire, says MEND

Meanwhile, less than twenty-four hours after it announced a 60-day ceasefire, effective 00.00 hours Wednesday, July 15, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta (MEND) said, yesterday that the armistice was under threat by the Joint Task Force (JTF), which allegedly dispatched seven gun boats with heavily armed troops from Warri, ostensibly to one of its camps located around border between Delta and Ondo states.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/07/16/fashola-warns-mend/
Re: Fashola Warns Mend - My Action Governor by blacksta(m): 6:45am On Jul 16, 2009
Mend better watch out - Fashola is a doing Governor.

(1) (Reply)

It's Your Right To Control What You Will Suffer From / Which Ministry Works In Nigeria? / Political Involvement In The Electricity Power Distribution Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.