Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,979 members, 7,821,419 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

I Want To Live In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Live In Nigeria (16537 Views)

Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / 10 Most Affordable Cities To Live In / The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Live In Nigeria by Gemmie(f): 2:29am On Nov 05, 2006
I am from the UK and interesting in travelling to nigeria to live for a while. Can anyone advise me on how I could go about getting a visa. Do I need to have a job before hand with sponsorship, (if so where is the best place for foreigners to find jobs). Is it easy for a foreigner to find a job? I would be mainly interested in office work but am quite flexible with this.

When coming to nigeria how much money would I need in US$ to get set up with place to live etc.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Seun(m): 8:11am On Nov 07, 2006
Are you resistant to Malaria? Do you enjoy flooded streets, smelly gutters, and heavy traffic? Are you willing to generate your own electricity and survive on bottled water the entire time? Do you have friends in Nigeria?

If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, then you prodably do not want to live in Nigeria. Why do you want to live in Nigeria anyway? I think you should come as a tourist, enjoy the best destinations, then return.

11 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by blasterman(m): 8:49am On Nov 07, 2006
Do you know anyone in living in nigeria.I guess you should visit the Nigeria High Commission in London for more information on all the questions you asked or find out from ur friends that live here.

for you to get a job it has to depend on what you have to offer,

have you lived in the tropics before.it really hot this time of the year, but if ur intent on getting a job here .your best bet is to ask someone from the Uk that is here or that has worked here how to go about it,
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 11:45am On Nov 07, 2006
Goodluck with that grin

hope u aint white? if u are, beware of militants grin

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by choco4life(m): 11:56am On Nov 07, 2006
NIgeria is not as bad as SEun is trying to paint it, at least we've got slums in all part of the world.
As for getting acc in high brow areas i think 3000 dols will be enough per annume
You cud check out www.findajobinafrica.com for job vacancies.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by gaby(m): 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2006
Seun:

Are you resistant to Malaria? Do you enjoy flooded streets, smelly gutters, and heavy traffic? Are you willing to generate your own electricity and survive on bottled water the entire time? Do you have friends in Nigeria?

If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, then you prodably do not want to live in Nigeria. Why do you want to live in Nigeria anyway? I think you should come as a tourist, enjoy the best destinations, then return.

I humbly wish to disagree with all the points you raised on this topic Seun,

Been resistant to malaria, aint there folks or expatriated living in the same Nigeria how many has died from Malaria you guys keep making a big deal of nothing

Flooded streets,smelly gutter and heavy traffics, where in the world are these not prevalent even if not as worse as Nigeria but i believe there are still some parts where she can live and avoid all the aforementioned if not completely but to the barest, and even if not at all it's quite an experience worth the time,

Self-generating electricity, there are ofcourse service appartments where she wouldnt need to worry about power outages i hope you know that and for your information the amount she'd pay for these appts annually is almost what she'd have paid for the same appt in the U.K for like 2 months, so what's the big deal,

Surviving on Bottled water, thats no news , here in europe i live on bottled water too most folks here do

Please Nigeria is not as bad as it is been painted,

@Gemmie

Please go with your heart and believe me you are not making a wrong move it is worth the experience because i believe thats what you are going for afterall if it's becoming unbearable to you,can find your way back to the U.K

As per your questions pls visit this site and the best bet would be to visit the Nigerian High Commision in the U.K for more info,

One luv

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Seun(m): 12:26pm On Nov 07, 2006
Visit Nigeria first, then immigrate later if you enjoy your stay. Maybe Calabar or Jos would be ok, but not Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by bensimon(m): 12:28pm On Nov 07, 2006
Gaby, you have actually taken words out of my mouth as we say. Thanks for that response to Seun. 9aija is not as bad as it is presented. The only other advise I will give the intended resident of Nigeria is to do a proper feasibility on living in 9aija.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by bensimon(m): 12:30pm On Nov 07, 2006
Seun, that;s more positive. I also want to include Abuja in the list of two cities you recommended.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by goodbobo: 1:11pm On Nov 07, 2006
I am so dissappointed in those that tried the discourage the person from coming to Nigeria . Nigeria is not that bad . There are no millitants here to make your stay difficult . There are lots of foreigners living and working in Nigeria , Indians , White and more . There are so many companies here where foreigners work . And there so very cool and quiet places in  Nigeria like Abuja where u can expericence peace and quite and very good standard of living .
Nigerians a nice and hospitable people . U can come around and i can assure you that u wont regrets coming here .

goodbobo

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by bamdil(m): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2006
Hello Gemmie, let my give u a little hint about Nigeria. Nigeria is a very good country to reside. Here in Nigeria, we have good climatic condition, u meet pple that are friendly and easy going.
There is relevant peace in Nigeria than in most country of the world, you are very free to practice any religion of your own.
U see Gemmie, to tell u d truth, u can not do without seeing somethings that are not there in UK here in Nigeria since Nigeria is one of the developing countries of the world. But i am assuring you that coming to Nigeria will be of great benefit to you that you will find it difficult to leave this country.

(Don't mind that yeye guy grin grin grin na dem no wan do things that will make Nigeria great.)

But if u so wish my advice for u is to request for a visiting visa in Nigerian Embassy and pay a visit to Nigeria, if u are comfortable u can then request for that of stay akin to this is to do according to goodbobo to request from the embassy the company that can be of interest to u.

Have a nice day

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Kajiang02(m): 3:22pm On Nov 07, 2006
my dear u can if u want 2. our beloved naija isnt dat bad as pple tink.
U stand a beta chance of getn a guud pay cos u gat a UK degree n most companys appreciate dat.

Rememba Gee,.'''''no place lik home irrespective of d errors in da home ''if any''. Green is ur home, '''''''so live it

4 d visa stuff, visit nigerian embassy or high comm dere 4 d info
cares gee
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by miky(m): 8:24pm On Nov 07, 2006
i would advise you on chosing a well suitable location, abuja is more suitable for foreigners. there is no income tax, council tax. its also important to have an idea of the job you seek. housing in abuja is not cheap compared to other areas in the house, but they are affordable good looking. and about the negativity, forget it, some are surprised by your stance at first. but i know a lot of nigerian who have gone back home and are making double and sometime triple the income they had. it all about using your smarts and being ingenuitive.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by bumbaby(f): 10:22pm On Nov 07, 2006
Nigeria is the best place ever!!!!!!!!!! please vist and have fun. we are all happy people in Nigeria and I hope u have a great time if u still decide to com
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by ford: 10:49pm On Nov 07, 2006
forget it

The policeman in Nigeria is thief

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by konari(m): 11:57pm On Nov 07, 2006
hello gemmie its a wonderful idea coming to Nigeria i'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here but i'll advise you test the waters first (so to speak) nd if you findit conducive andconvenient then feel free to naturalise lol. i would love to help out anyway i can to make your initial visit to Nigeria a memorable experience. but you might cosider taking a few vaccinations before embarking on the trip here to ward of malaria. you can reach me at konariwo@yahoo.com have a nice one wink
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Shokoloko(f): 12:42am On Nov 08, 2006
gemmie dont worry nigeria is lovely. if u come u'll be married before u know it grin
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by katherinae(f): 1:09am On Nov 08, 2006
look let me give it to u straight, u only have fun in nigeria if u know people, and the right people at that.

secondly, i wonder have u ever been to the nigerian party in the UK of US, have u seen how freaking disorganized these human beings can be, do u know of anyone who has been to a nigerian embassy to renew their passport, how annoying and rude those human beings can be,

thirdly, have u ever done business wiht a nigerian man, and felt like u just got f**ked in the a$$

well sweety if u answer yes to all those questions with a smile, then sure knock urself out, look i like nigeria because i am nigeria, adn i go home because i am nigerian, if i wasnt i wouldnt even bother to learn how to spell the place, and that is the honest truth.

to nigeria's defense we have good food, good food, ermm did i mention good food. as for the men or women depending ur preference, hahaha. o and by they way, alot of nigerians cant find jobs, i would advice u not to look for one either, u might get shot out of spite. and if u dont u might not get paid at all. so goodluck

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by obong(m): 1:55am On Nov 08, 2006

this only exists in certain people's world. what do you want to do in nigeria will determine where you live.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 8:49am On Nov 08, 2006
What part exactly do u want to live in Nigeria.

Its important you say where exactly, then folks who live around there could give u some insights.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by LoverBwoy(m): 1:34pm On Nov 08, 2006
Why do you want to live in Nigeria?  undecided

Get some Nigerian films

We have good food though and . . .

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by hola2ng(m): 11:13am On Nov 09, 2006
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by nkenk(f): 3:51pm On Nov 09, 2006
[color=#000099]The point is, u need to define why u want to come to Nigeria. I guess u must have heard alot about for you to habor the thought of settling there.

Another point is, u r not the first, neither r u goin 2 be last. Nigeria is a land full of opportunities.
But u need to know wat u want, then get there and look around. Every thing u want is there.

I agree with some others, u need to visit first.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by candylips(m): 2:30am On Nov 10, 2006
so person stil dey wey wan come nigeria while all man dey try check out. nna how far
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by otokx(m): 12:16pm On Nov 10, 2006
Nigeria is a big country, where exactly do you want to stay?
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Mongue(m): 9:57am On Nov 11, 2006
The first thing you need to do is take a two week holiday to Nigeria, This will at least give you an insight into the world that you are planning on committing to. It's not easy to have a holiday in Nigeria if you don't know people but it's possible. Go and buy the BRADT - NIGERIA TRAVEL GUIDE. This has lots and lots of useful info in it.

If you come for two weeks and you still think it's for you then you're gonna have to work hard to find someone to employ you. If you have experience in OIL or Telecomms then you have a better chance but it is not easy to find work as an expat unless you have some specifically required skills. Also you don't want to move here without the backing and support of a decent company to help you take care of the little things in life which over here are actually big things. Seun us right, having light, water etc etc are expensive and troublesome.

If you can get everything right Nigeria can be a great place to live and work, not easy by any means but rewarding nevertheless.

Give it a try
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 10:02am On Nov 14, 2006
where is he?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Temi1(m): 8:35am On Nov 15, 2006
Wher is Gemmie, the originator of this post? U dont seem 2 be interested in the replies 2 ur post. Any way on ur questions, it depends on how long u want 2 stay in the country and what qualifications u have. I think u should be able 2 get full info on these @ d country's foreign office.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 8:43am On Nov 15, 2006
Could it be that he's already left for Nigeria? undecided
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by LoverBwoy(m): 1:40pm On Nov 15, 2006
I don't think SHE is that eager

Watching a Nigerian film is frightening enough

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 9:40am On Nov 16, 2006
;d
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by tundeyoung: 2:17pm On Nov 16, 2006
It's incredible to read here how lowly you guys feel about your country.

As someone who spent the first 3 decades if his life in different parts of Nigeria and who has been living abroad for quite sometime, I can tell you that Nigeria's picture has been slightly exaggerated here.
Truly, you will need a malaria shot just like a Nigerian visiting the UK or the US for the first time would need a flu shot. That's not to say that you will die of malaria in Nigeria. And again, justlike the flu shot is just a precaution a malaria shot will protect you while in Nigeria, just in case.

You will find modern settlements in Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt that offers the same quality of live you're already used to in the UK. But because of sharp cultural differences, I will advice that a short visit may be good idea, at first. This will also enable you to form your own opinion about Nigeria and its people.

I do not expect you to get positive advice from the Home Office in London, so I will suggest getting some advice from the British High Commision in Lagos. Because they are on the ground, they should be able to advice you objectively and correctly about visiting Nigeria.
You should be able to get a tourist visa from the Nigerian High Commision in London without any formal invitation if you pre-book your hotel and other things.

I have had people return after a visit to Nigeria from the US with positive experiences. One great quality of an average Nigerian is his warmness and hospitality, particularly toward strangers. You will find the people very friendly.

Cost of living is very low with verify minimal tax burden, in case you finally decide to migrate.
And just like in every country, you should be stingy with your trust when you get to Nigeria. The country has it's own fair share of bad eggs.

Let us know how you like Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Loaded Tanker Skids Off The Highway On Lagos-ibadan Expressway (photos) / 6,006 Nigerians Win 2010 Us Dv Lottery / Most Likely Questions On US Student Visa Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.