Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,885 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

I Want To Live In Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Live In Nigeria (16532 Views)

Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / 10 Most Affordable Cities To Live In / The 5 Most Expensive Places To Live In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by fentuo: 8:49pm On Nov 20, 2006
nigeria is hard oo!!!!!!!!!!!! my sister.better go to ghana or south africa. grin grin grin grin grin u see how they are crying?

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by alabiyemmy(m): 3:45pm On Nov 21, 2006
I am amazed at the way people rate their country as if they have another one? As if the country is proud to have them as citizens? To all of you who get "lucky" to get visas to go out of Nigeria and then speak bad about the country Nigeria - I say sorry - who wants you here anyway - go find another country to live. We patriots are okay and we love our country. Please visit and live here if ever you want.

I have lived in the UK for only four years and I have decided to go back to my country Nigeria, nothing is as sweet as home.

Yemmy.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by candylips(m): 11:41pm On Nov 21, 2006
@alabiyemmy

Goodluck with your decision. Have fun with all the mosquitos cheesy ,
and when armed robbers come to visit you tell then say i dey hail them.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 8:49am On Nov 22, 2006
Hold up people!

Lets quit talking abt Nigeria like its a dump.
I didnt have mosquito problems while i was in nigeria
and robbers never came to my house or houses of most pple i knew.
So lets stop generalising certain things. angry
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by tundeyoung: 2:58pm On Nov 22, 2006
lioness (f)
United Kingdom

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria
« #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:45 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodluck with that

hope u aint white? if u are, beware of militants embarassed grin
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 3:47pm On Nov 22, 2006
LMAO grin
U got me there, but hey com'on u know i was joking grin

Nigeria aint that bad men!
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by candylips(m): 10:45pm On Nov 22, 2006
so why are you in the uk then just curious undecided
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 8:54am On Nov 23, 2006
I came to learn so that i can go back and better Nigeria.
They practically dragged me to the Nigerian airport before i agreed to leave for the UK. grin grin grin
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by bunmil: 8:42pm On Nov 25, 2006
i love nigeria
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by candylips(m): 1:02am On Nov 26, 2006
lioness:

I came to learn so that i can go back and better Nigeria.
They practically dragged me to the Nigerian airport before i agreed to leave for the UK. grin grin grin

ha i c .
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by alabiyemmy(m): 4:55am On Dec 12, 2006
@ candylips - Whats the big deal about mosquitos and malaria or anything like that? most people are un-informed. Come to the UK, u catch the flu - does that make the UK a bad place to live? Come to the UK, kids of 17 - 20 years comit murders on the street of London. does that compare to Nigeria. I wish the UK/USA government can send these people back to the villages they came out from! I wonder how they will find their place, after washing dishes and sweeping the whole street in the sake of not wanting to live in their country - shame.

Yemmy.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by phoenixman: 10:19pm On Jan 01, 2007
This is a wonderful thread cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
am just rolling around with laughter cheesy cheesy

Please give us more dark humor about Nigeria. grin
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by silversky1(f): 12:06pm On Jan 24, 2007
hurry up and come joh! am sure u`ll have a nice time, especially if u come to jos. i promise we`ll give you a great time. cheesy
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by londoner: 9:57pm On Jan 29, 2007
Nigeria has many faces, it really depends on where you go, I am due for a trip to Nigeria, I'll go to Abuja and Calabar, I have been to Lagos and I don't like it. Lagos is not Nigeria in totality. The experience of people living in Abuja, Calabar, Jos etc is not the same as many living in Lagos (with a few exceptions).

Its not as if everywhere is like Aba or the ghettoes of Lagos. Yes there are many challenges, the same challenges that Nigerians tend to turn a blind eye to when going abroad to places like NY, LA, ATlanta, London, South Africa, all places which have crime problems, but we deal with, because anything outside is ALWAYS better.

I understand that Nigeria can be every trying place, but you go to the city or state that best suits you, simple.

Can you imagine saying Nigeria is crime ridden, go to South Africa, all this with the full knowledge that South Africa is a murder capital, but ofcourse if we are rational its not the WHOLE of SOUTH AFRICA, but we don't give Nigeria the same fairness.

Anyhoo, I suppose people's points are from actual experience, but everyones is not the same.

I don't see what is so ghastly about living here,
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=157401&page=2

Or even visiting here,
http://www.africa-ata.org/ng_photo2.htm
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by lioness(f): 10:58am On Feb 08, 2007
Hows that living in nigeria thingy coming up?
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by agatonaa(f): 5:15am On Feb 19, 2007
I went to Nigeria last year of June to visit my so called adopted family. I loved it there, the hospitality is wonderful. People are so nice & friendly except for the police on the road that would asked money from drivers. But I guess same in other parts of the country. But my experienced going there I have no complain. I would still loved to go back to visit inspite of all the bad things we see on the news about kidnapping & all. I am mainly enjoying the company of the people I loved & its culture. I adjust myself to their life style,
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by oleigh(m): 6:45pm On Sep 15, 2008
everybody in nigeria now wants 2 be in uk or america but u say u wan come naija,i'll advice u just 2 come and spend holidays and even prepare 4 mosquito when coming.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by tombola: 6:48pm On Sep 15, 2008
oleigh:

everybody in nigeria now wants 2 be in uk or america but u say u wan come naija,i'll advice u just 2 come and spend holidays and even prepare 4 mosquito when coming.

shut up - it is the other way round, fool. People want to come back home to live, not the other way round.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by darkroll(m): 2:29am On Sep 16, 2008
tombola:

shut up - it is the other way round, fool. People want to come back home to live, not the other way round.

U right , people want to come back home to live , cost of living in Nigeria is low compare to out here . Paying 500USd monthly for 2 bed room apartment is not easy ooo , i am very sure with 500USD monthly in Nigeria u can rent a duplex.

Relocating back to Nigeria is a good idea but make sure you got all your equations right .
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Handsome4u: 2:53pm On Sep 17, 2008
Hello Gemmie,
I like your plan for coming to nigeria.Nigeria is a big and nice place to stay in Africa.If your are really serious about that,why can`t you contact me through my phone number 2348034156305.Let`s know each other first,i will give you some guide lines for that and moreover some neccessary information about our country and besides,send you an invitation letter you will use to grab visa and other things you need to know as a traveller.BE ENCOURAGE. I am expecting your call soonest.Cheers,
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 04, 2014
Seun: Are you resistant to Malaria? Do you enjoy flooded streets, smelly gutters, and heavy traffic? Are you willing to generate your own electricity and survive on bottled water the entire time? Do you have friends in Nigeria?

If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, then you prodably do not want to live in Nigeria. Why do you want to live in Nigeria anyway? I think you should come as a tourist, enjoy the best destinations, then return.

busted..so na so u hate naija?
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Homeyfav: 9:55pm On Dec 01, 2019
.,';
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by molybdenum0012: 9:54am On Dec 02, 2019
tombola:

You are the bigger fool here! Millions of Nigerians want leave Nigeria to a better country.
Do you even know the meaning of the word " Japa"? Which century do you think it was coined ?

Get some sense brother.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 02, 2019
Homeyfav:
Price In Nigeria
Aguda Lagos NG, 8 Odebiyi St, Ogba 100218
https://www.priceinnigeria.ng/

This is not the right way to promote a new website. I've seen you spamming various threads in Nairaland with your links even when they're not even related to your contents.

Please stop it if you want your site to grow on the long run.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Stewart883(m): 6:18pm On Dec 02, 2019
Who resurrected this dead thread from 2006 shocked shocked
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by gunpoint(m): 6:19pm On Apr 21, 2022
Emmm...
Just checking on all those who were encouraging this "oyibo" to come live in Nigeria that year.
Feeding him/her delusional ideas and not facts about how hospitable Najeria was/is.
The BIGGEST problems with Nigerians are 2 things
1. Disconnect with reality/facts
2. Lack of intuitive foresight

Even in 2006 when this "oyibo" asked this question, Nigeria was bad. I had just left uni 2 years before. Fresh engineering graduate. Finished from a class of 186 engineers, as at 2006, Nigeria had not yet let me start NYSC 2 years post graduation. Young, ambitious, wasting away. But already, I could see the reality on ground. 3 years or so before that, MASSOB had declared Biafra. Niger/Delta militants had been formed. Plateau crisis was in its 3rd or 4th iteration and thousands had been killed by Christian/Muslims and Fulani herdsmen/farmer clashes. The first batch of corrupt Nigerian govs had been exposed. Alams in jail for Bayelsa, Dariye dressed like a woman escaped from the UK, Fayose run away from Ekiti after the infamous "your chicken no dey shit" scam. In the midst of that, there I was unemployed. Imagine if a dear/personal friend in the abroad posed this question to me about relocating to Nigeria, what should have been my honest reply?

2. Lack of foresight
I eventually did get a job. And I stayed in touch with my graduating engineering cohort. Remember that 186 that I graduated among? As the years went by, less than 40 got jobs at all and less than 18 or so got really meaningful, good paying jobs. Among the 18 or so that did, gradually they lost their employment and fell into Nigeria, joining the 3/4 of the class that NEVER EVER got jobs in the first place. Nigeria happened to them. IPOB was created, fulani herdsmen graduated to fulani bandits. Election fuelled massacres started to happen in the north. Boko Haram was founded. None of these events came as a surprise to me. I had from around 2010 made it my life's ambition to leave Nigeria. I did eventually. I am a citizen of a 1st world country now. I just completed a 1300km solo drive through lonely roads in the middle of nowhere, stopping to rest and take photos, with not a care in the world for safety. And as I did that, I juxtaposed it with my 2 armed robbery experiences on Nigerian roads. I said a silent thank you to myself for seeing Nigeria has I expected it to evolve into, and planning a great escape. Then I compare my foresight/insight with these people who advised, nay, urged this "oyibo" to come to a country I was desperate to leave. And I wonder what became of them. Did Nigeria chew them up and spit them out as it had countless millions since they told "oyibo" to come too? Were they truly so short-sighted to not see that the saying that "sometimes everything that can go wrong, all happens simultaneously" was applicable to Nigeria? Or were they just from the "I cannot come and suffer alone" school of thought. Whichever it is, my disenchantment with Nigerians stemmed from the eternal optimism of the people there, with no work put in to change things, their low engagement with the political process and their faith in things they cannot control. A toxic cocktail I knew would kill me if I stayed. So I ran.
Nigeria would only get worse. I knew this in 2006. Just as I know now that Nigeria isn't yet at rock bottom, it will get worse (adding before it will get better is a lie I won't add to the statement). Many Nigerians then and even now lack this foresight.

Dear "oyibo". I hope to God you listened to Seun and stayed in the UK.
If you came to Nigeria, then I have to ask you, HOW MARKET? ? You should be familiar with that saying by now

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by HRprof: 9:08pm On Apr 21, 2022
Seun:
Are you resistant to Malaria? Do you enjoy flooded streets, smelly gutters, and heavy traffic? Are you willing to generate your own electricity and survive on bottled water the entire time? Do you have friends in Nigeria?

If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, then you prodably do not want to live in Nigeria. Why do you want to live in Nigeria anyway? I think you should come as a tourist, enjoy the best destinations, then return.
Are you describing Your location or Nigeria ? Are you living in a getto ?
People like you will never see any good about Nigeria, imagine what you are telling a foreigner about your country.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by HRprof: 9:15pm On Apr 21, 2022
alabiyemmy:
I am amazed at the way people rate their country as if they have another one? As if the country is proud to have them as citizens? To all of you who get "lucky" to get visas to go out of Nigeria and then speak bad about the country Nigeria - I say sorry - who wants you here anyway - go find another country to live. We patriots are okay and we love our country. Please visit and live here if ever you want.

I have lived in the UK for only four years and I have decided to go back to my country Nigeria, nothing is as sweet as home.

Yemmy.
Those who talk trash about Nigeria has not cross boarder before, we know them when they comment for their mind they think say abroad na heaven, who no go, no go know
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by okeysoninv: 9:17pm On Apr 21, 2022
2006 then naira was 115 for a dollar, things were much better.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:24am On Apr 22, 2022
HRprof:

Are you describing Your location or Nigeria ? Are you living in a getto ?
People like you will never see any good about Nigeria, imagine what you are telling a foreigner about your country.
This was 2006, 16 years ago, 1 year after I started Nairaland. You may not have been born at that time.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 22, 2022
Seun:
This was 2006, 16 years ago, 1 year after I started Nairaland. You may not have been born at that time.
grin grin grin

Wow how time flies.
Re: I Want To Live In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 22, 2022
gunpoint:
Emmm...
Just checking on all those who were encouraging this "oyibo" to come live in Nigeria that year.
Feeding him/her delusional ideas and not facts about how hospitable Najeria was/is.
The BIGGEST problems with Nigerians are 2 things
2. Lack of intuitive foresight

Even in 2006 when this "oyibo" asked this question, Nigeria was bad. I had just left uni 2 years before. Fresh engineering graduate. Finished from a class of 186 engineers, as at 2006, Nigeria had not yet let me start NYSC 2 years post graduation. Young, ambitious, wasting away. But already, I could see the reality on ground. 3 years or so before that, MASSOB had declared Biafra. Niger/Delta militants had been formed. Plateau crisis was in its 3rd or 4th iteration and thousands had been killed by Christian/Muslims and Fulani herdsmen/farmer clashes. The first batch of corrupt Nigerian govs had been exposed. Alams in jail for Bayelsa, Dariye dressed like a woman escaped from the UK, Fayose run away from Ekiti after the infamous "your chicken no dey shit" scam. In the midst of that, there I was unemployed. Imagine if a dear/personal friend in the abroad posed this question to me about relocating to Nigeria, what should have been my honest reply?

2. Lack of foresight
I eventually did get a job. And I stayed in touch with my graduating engineering cohort. Remember that 186 that I graduated among? As the years went by, less than 40 got jobs at all and less than 18 or so got really meaningful, good paying jobs. Among the 18 or so that did, gradually they lost their employment and fell into Nigeria, joining the 3/4 of the class that NEVER EVER got jobs in the first place. Nigeria happened to them. IPOB was created, fulani herdsmen graduated to fulani bandits. Election fuelled massacres started to happen in the north. Boko Haram was founded. None of these events came as a surprise to me. I had from around 2010 made it my life's ambition to leave Nigeria. I did eventually. I am a citizen of a 1st world country now. I just completed a 1300km solo drive through lonely roads in the middle of nowhere, stopping to rest and take photos, with not a care in the world for safety. And as I did that, I juxtaposed it with my 2 armed robbery experiences on Nigerian roads. I said a silent thank you to myself for seeing Nigeria has I expected it to evolve into, and planning a great escape. Then I compare my foresight/insight with these people who advised, nay, urged this "oyibo" to come to a country I was desperate to leave. And I wonder what became of them. Did Nigeria chew them up and spit them out as it had countless millions since they told "oyibo" to come too? Were they truly so short-sighted to not see that the saying that "sometimes everything that can go wrong, all happens simultaneously" was applicable to Nigeria? Or were they just from the "I cannot come and suffer alone" school of thought. Whichever it is, my disenchantment with Nigerians stemmed from the eternal optimism of the people there, with no work put in to change things, their low engagement with the political process and their faith in things they cannot control. A toxic cocktail I knew would kill me if I stayed. So I ran.
Nigeria would only get worse. I knew this in 2006. Just as I know now that Nigeria isn't yet at rock bottom, it will get worse (adding before it will get better is a lie I won't add to the statement). Many Nigerians then and even now lack this foresight.

Dear "oyibo". I hope to God you listened to Seun and stayed in the UK.
If you came to Nigeria, then I have to ask you, HOW MARKET? ? You should be familiar with that saying by now

This is deep. Nigerias situation is beyond redemption. But the problem is we can't all leave....

It's painful... And presidential form for the ruling party is 100 million naira.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Review Air Agreements With UK, Others Over 'Unacceptable Treatments' / Loaded Tanker Skids Off The Highway On Lagos-ibadan Expressway (photos) / 6,006 Nigerians Win 2010 Us Dv Lottery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.