Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,147 members, 7,849,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:04 AM

Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption (1183 Views)

James Bala Ngilari Jailed For 5 Years For Corruption / Jonathan Opens Up: I’m Being Investigated For Corruption By Buhari / Ministerial Nominee, Anthony Anwukah, Was Convicted By High Court For Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by dayohoo: 5:54pm On Mar 06, 2016
An Iranian billionaire tycoon has been sentenced to death after being convicted of corruption.

Babak Zanjani, 41, was accused of fraudulently pocketing $2.8bn (£2bn) after a months-long trial which in a rare move was held in public.

Prosecutors claim he owed the money to Iran's government from oil sold on behalf of the oil ministry.

Zanjani, who denied any wrongdoing, insisted the only reason the money had not been paid was that sanctions had prevented a transfer.

By his own admission, Zanjani arranged billions of dollars of oil deals for years through a network of companies in countries such as Turkey, Malaysia and the United Arab Emirates.

The defendant, whose fortune is estimated at $10bn-$14bn (£7bn-£9.8bn), was convicted of fraud and economic crimes, while two associates were also found guilty of "corruption on earth".

That is the most serious offence under the country's criminal code, meaning they too will face the death penalty - but all three can appeal against the verdicts.

During the rule of former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Zanjani found ways to channel hard currency to Tehran.

This was despite financial sanctions imposed on the Islamic republic's banks as punishment for its nuclear programme.

Zanjani, who was arrested in 2013, said he was tasked with circumventing sanctions to get money back to Iran in return for commissions paid by Mr Ahmadinejad's government.

The administration of President Hassan Rouhani has alleged that corruption and the payment of illegal commissions thrived under Mr Ahmadinejad's rule.

In January, a nuclear deal was agreed between Iran and Western powers which paved the way for more foreign trade in the country's oil sector.

Mr Rouhani's oil minister Bijan Zanganeh urged investors to deal directly with his ministry and avoid third parties.

1 Like

Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by dulux07(m): 5:56pm On Mar 06, 2016
I hope this happens in nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by rottennaija(m): 6:01pm On Mar 06, 2016
That is a country that wants to develop. Only of this can happen in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by hisgrace090: 6:06pm On Mar 06, 2016
Any country that hv not followed this pattern is doomed for perpetual backwardness.

1 Like

Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by adekanbai: 6:12pm On Mar 06, 2016
Thats a taboo in my dear country...
Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 06, 2016
Why haven't this government chopped dasuki's body parts limb from limb?

My guess is, fvcking pro-gej will start screaming "muh human right this, human right that"
But a decent amount of people have died because of his actions.

I just pray for the death of this corrupt official, the only thing nigeria fear more than God is death.

1 Like

Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by rusher14: 6:16pm On Mar 06, 2016
rottennaija:
That is a country that wants to develop. Only of this can happen in Nigeria
Believe me, they are even more advanced than us.
Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by fistonati(m): 7:23pm On Mar 06, 2016
Only of Nigeria can replicate it but am sure they will celebrate it as my government doesn't like competition
Re: Pics - Iranian Billionaire Tycoon Sentenced To Death For Corruption by iamrealdeji(m): 9:12pm On Mar 06, 2016
Instead they'd celebrate him in this annoying rubbish country called Nigeria. Bukola Saraki and Tinubu stole much more than this man did and they're still laughing around,even laughing to the bank and they will still steal more. Nigeria can never progress with such and the voiceless poor will continue to die if nothing is done about it

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Tension As Police Arrest Faleke’s Relation / 19 Dead In Accident Involving Peace Mass Bus Travelling 4rm Enugu 2 Bayelsa(pics / Where Did We Go Wrong ? Wake Up Nigerian Youths-wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.