Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,145 members, 7,860,109 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:42 AM

Feminism Is Not Dominance/equity - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Feminism Is Not Dominance/equity (371 Views)

Feminism Is Evil! Avoid It Like A Plague. / 5 Ways Feminism Is Destroying Nigerian Women / Feminism Is Not Dominance/equity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Feminism Is Not Dominance/equity by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 07, 2016
I believe a lot of people misinterpret feminism to mean domination of men and that is why a lot of people are against it. Feminism stands for equality. There's a huge misconception of the term by both men and women.
For men, it is a case of 'she is trying to override me'. It would seem so to them because they have always been in a position of having their way, so letting go of that and being at the receiving end will not stand well with them. I have come to realize that a man that hates feminists so much is only scared that if he gives a woman a chance, she would treat him as bad as he treats her now. If you treat women right, you shouldn't be scared that equality will make them treat you badly. Equality is to give a fair playing ground and a voice to women.
I was having an argument with a friend sometime back, he kept ranting that men had it harder and that women being subjugated in the society was only in our heads. I made him an offer that if a woman was ready to take all his responsibilities (which we all know is only in the finance department) without rubbing it in his face, will he take up her responsibilities and be the woman in the home. He went on a rant about how it is not bibilical and how it is not how things work in the society. I made it clear to him that he totally missed my point. I pointed out to him that women helping with finance is not bibilical but we do it anyway. I told him that he should leave society and religion out for a minute and answer for himself. He kept beating about the bush and couldn't give me an answer. This made me draw the conclusion that there are more women like me who would rather be men than there are men willing to be women. If we are being honest with ourselves, it is because we know that the female gender is generally at a disadvantage compared to the male gender.
Some bring up arguments about how during war, men are killed blah blah blah, and I just laugh. Who are those raped? Who are those forced into marriages after war? Women also suffer from violence in a different way and to me, this is even worst. I can't pay for my enemy to be raped, I'd rather die.
This brings me to my next point. Feminism recognizes the differences between men and women. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. Look at the fight against racism, we recognize that there are Blacks, Caucasians, Hispanics, Asians, etc. However, we refuse to accept that our skin color should determine who gets what, who is treated better, or who is treated lesser. Same goes with feminism. Men and women have different sexual reproductive organs but that doesn't make one gender better or more important than the other. Imagine a world with only men or only women, it can't work. Both genders are equally important so why should one be treated lesser than the other?
Feminism preaches equality not equity and here's why. If we preach equity, then there is no need for feminism as we might as well call ourselves human rights activists. Feminists can't preach equity because we have discovered that equity is very subjective. What is fair to you may not be fair to the other person. It is only based on your own personal judgment.
Some bring in the biblical aspect, and I just shake my head because I'm a Christan too. Another friend told me barely two weeks ago that we women should accept our fate as being under men because it was the curse God placed on us for eating the forbidden fruit especially since we committed the greater sin. I told him that I wasn't surprised since it was typical of men to never take responsibilities for their actions. For men who do that, I hope you know that your arguments don't hold water. See the reply God gave Adam after he said "....it was the woman You have me....." It is such a stupid excuse, I don't even know where to begin to analyse the ridiculousness.
With the interpretation some people give feminism, they might as well call themselves feminists. They believe women should make their own money, they believe women should take senior positions in church but they don't believe women should be treated with equal dignity as men, why the hypocrisy. Feminist by convenience is not feminism.
At this point, I don't want to call myself a feminist anymore. I know my rights, I know my principles, I know what I stand for. I know the level of respect I place on myself. I wouldn't give that up for anyone.
Re: Feminism Is Not Dominance/equity by halfricanadian(f): 9:51am On Mar 07, 2016
SISTER PLEASE PREACH LET THEM KNOW cry cry cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Photo - See What Network Coursed / Mid Week Comic Relief: Not Every John Is John. / My 67-yrs Old Man Is Eyeing Younger Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.