Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,796 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! (1298 Views)

5 Career Path You Can Easily Gain Valuable Experience From Home / 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study / 15 Common Mistakes In Choosing A Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by Feraz(m): 8:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
Hey all!

Please, I need your opinions on a very important issue. Someone sought my opinion on which is more important? Getting work experience in a desired career path or furthering one’s education by going for a master’s degree in a very relevant field (mechatronics – a field which is like the main core of the person’s goal)? I have a friend who is in dilemma about choosing a job offer or working towards going for a master’s degree outside Nigeria. This person has a bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (First-class honours) and the job has to do with software engineering (something the person is interested in as this will also help the person achieve part of its goals). Having applied for various master opportunities he is not sure of for now (this person plans on taking GRE) but this job opportunity is very sure. The person would really love to do masters though but would it be bad if the person stays back a while and get some quality work experience? Age is 22 but will be 23 this year!

N.B: I am using “the person” because I want to make it genderless and also protect the person’s identity (not me BTW). Try and understand people. Thank you for reading even as I await your contributions. Will refer this person to this thread!

Seun, lalasticlala, mathschic, xfire, xdos, netotse, ihedinobi2, greatman5, ezme, ajanlekoko, esere826!
Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by Seun(m): 8:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
Get the job. You can always do your masters later. After working for a while, you will be more sure about which Masters to go for later if any.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by jamanuka: 9:22pm On Mar 07, 2016
You said the job blends with the person's passion?

Take the Job, masters can come later
Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by AirmirthDY(f): 9:38pm On Mar 07, 2016
Seun:
Get the job. You can always do your masters later. After working for a while, you will be more sure about which Masters to go for later if any.
Rhema!
Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by Eddodoh(m): 12:13am On Mar 08, 2016
Interesting! For someone wit HND in Cooperative Economics & Management couple wit over 3years experience in Customer Service. Which career path will u advice him/her to take?

If I have my way I won't work in Customer Service field as it is hectic leaving U depressed.

My very first job was in a Customer Service field as a Receptionist & my present job as a Call Center Agent.

Thinking If I can make something great wit d Customer Service experience like taking a professional course, building on d experience or change career.

Everyday I face d ceiling in my room to figure out how I can make a difference.
Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by xdos(m): 4:21pm On Mar 08, 2016
I agree with Seun very well. My career path was defined when I started working after graduation. That was when I appreciated controls.. So I'll advice he goes for the job. With experience, he'll have a broader view and better choices to make. Again, He's pretty young and he's got time.

1 Like

Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by Feraz(m): 9:58pm On Mar 08, 2016
Thanks y'all for your various inputs. I appreciate.
Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by MathsChic(f): 8:26am On Mar 10, 2016
Feraz:

Firstly, what kind of software engineering is it? Does it address the main learning points he looks forward to? If it does, I say the person takes the job offer while he/she puts the masters plan into place. Mechatronics is still quite related to the deeper ends of software engineering, so there's a lot to gain on the job. The other strong reason person should take the job is that his/her masters plan is not finalised yet, i.e. no admission just yet. The time spent on the job could be used to prepare towards gaining admission, especially as age is still on the person's side.
Re: Opinions Needed In Choosing A Career Path! by Feraz(m): 11:53am On Mar 13, 2016
MathsChic:

Firstly, what kind of software engineering is it? Does it address the main learning points he looks forward to? If it does, I say the person takes the job offer while he/she puts the masters plan into place. Mechatronics is still quite related to the deeper ends of software engineering, so there's a lot to gain on the job. The other strong reason person should take the job is that his/her masters plan is not finalised yet, i.e. no admission just yet. The time spent on the job could be used to prepare towards gaining admission, especially as age is still on the person's side.
Thank you very much! The person has decided to take the job offer.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Post Links In Nairaland Without Getting Banned? / At 35-yr-old Looking For Career Advice / Start Your Career With Shell Graduate Programme 2023 For Young Nigerian Graduate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.