Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

2d Animaton Learning Thread - Art, Graphics & Video (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 2d Animaton Learning Thread (35027 Views)

Learn 2D Animation in Nigeria With Naijacartoon / Let's Talk About 2D And 3D Archviz / Freelance Architectural visualisation 2D and 3D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by OKX(m): 10:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
Toon boom harmony is offered as a free trial version for 21 days on the site, alongside other 2d toon boom animation software. Just create an account and download d free trial n install. Get comfortable with the software within the grace period then decide what u want to do next.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 11:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
chubbyswit:
just type toon boom harmony torrent download links with google and it should bring out torrent sites u can download from. Please also educate urself on torrents and how to use it if u dont knw dat already. Use google 2 do ur researches. I cant start teaching u dat here
thanks bro, u have really tried...
make una no vex for derailing d thread ooo
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by Kunle106(m): 11:44pm On Mar 28, 2016
OKX:
Toon boom harmony is offered as a free trial version for 21 days on the site, alongside other 2d toon boom animation software. Just create an account and download d free trial n install. Get comfortable with the software within the grace period then decide what u want to do next.
I actually did that, but finding it difficult to login to the software with my login details, after I have installed it on d system
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 7:32am On Mar 29, 2016
Kunle106:
thanks bro, u have really tried...
make una no vex for derailing d thread ooo
lolz it's k bro, i hope you get the software soonest. I'll post something tomorrow maybe round up this first illustration so we can jump to the next.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:18pm On Apr 03, 2016
Happy sunday guys, kinda free today so will be posting something shortly.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:19pm On Apr 03, 2016
The character is rigged by activating the rotation tool as indicated by the diagram below and dragging the pivot point handle to the particular joint where we want the character to rotate from. In this case we want the lower arm to rotate naturally so we move the pivot to that point as we can see in the second diagram below.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:23pm On Apr 03, 2016
If we now grab our move tool and try to rotate the lower arm, it’ll do so exactly from where the pivot point is located.
Taking another example for the upper arm, we can see where the pivot point handle for it is positioned to reflect the rotation of a real upper arm. The same procedure was carried out all over the joint locations in the body (please refer back to previous images to see where I indicated all the joints in the human body). A pivot handle must be attached on each joint depending on the animation workflow.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:24pm On Apr 03, 2016
Ada torso, waist and legs is a single body part and wasn’t broken into pieces because of the fact that I didn’t plan on making her dance or perform any form of walk or run cycle. Illustration below.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:26pm On Apr 03, 2016
PEGS
these are empty layers that functions as appendages to other layers, they work as parents with children that are attached to them, and they control the movement, rotation or scale of the children. They’re necessary in any animation software whether 2d or 3d (called parents) for controlling and manipulating piece of artwork (2D) or models (3D). in figure 1 below, the lower arm artwork was dragged into a peg layer that has been created (create a peg by clicking on the peg tool icon) so that it’ll be animated effectively. The second figure shows the lower arm and the wrist that has been dragged into a peg layer so that they can remain attached together without breaking connection when trying to manipulate both. We can see that the upper arm remains in its position when I manipulated the lower arm and wrist? That’s because it has not been pegged yet with them (of course it’s weird and unnatural if your lower arm breaks away from your upper arm when you try to move it as in figure 2 below lols). It is these peg layers that hold the different body pieces of ada together to form the full character. This is the basics of the design process of a typical cut out style of 2d animation.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:26pm On Apr 03, 2016
Pegs also need pivot points (points of manipulation) as indicated in the figure below.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:27pm On Apr 03, 2016
Finally, ada was animated by translating (moving and rotating) the different peg layers around and setting key frames on the desired frames. Doing this led to the final animation I showed on previous pages.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 6:27pm On Apr 03, 2016
Questions and comments will be appreciated before moving further.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by mixter(m): 6:35pm On Apr 04, 2016
Impressive, I love it. Though e wan be like film for my eyes shaa. Well,first thing first is to get photoshop and toon boom softwares. I believe getting aaa cd tutorial on photoshop shouldn't be hard to get. I will love to learn everybit of this and master it. Thanks Op and other contributors.

1 Like

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 9:46pm On Apr 04, 2016
mixter:
Impressive, I love it. Though e wan be like film for my eyes shaa. Well,first thing first is to get photoshop and toon boom softwares. I believe getting aaa cd tutorial on photoshop shouldn't be hard to get. I will love to learn everybit of this and master it. Thanks Op and other contributors.
continue learning from the thread for now. Indept tutorials on both softwares'll ensue when i dive in into the production process of the next animation. Remember to ask your questions (beta questions o lolz) and comment more often.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by mixter(m): 10:20pm On Apr 04, 2016
Noted.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:23pm On Apr 25, 2016
2D ANIMATION (THE PRODUCTION PROCESS)
There are several stages involved in a cartoon animation pipeline production be it 2d or 3d, and these stages for 2d production include

a. The story: this is the point at which the cg artist gets his/her story that they want to turn into an animation. The story must be easy to understand, educative, and with a good sense of humor. The story might be in any form depending on the message the artist wants to pass across to the audience.
b. Visual development: this is the point of designing the environment, backgrounds, and other props needed to give the animation realism and a sense of movement. At this stage, the artist chooses the type of environment, atmosphere and look of the animation. E.g I might decide to make a cartoon with characters resembling sticks or papers so in this case my environment should be designed in such a way as to fit perfectly with the story and characters.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:25pm On Apr 25, 2016
c. Character design: this is the stage of designing your characters and how you want them to behave and react to certain situations in your animation.
d. Storyboard: this is the act of sketching out the story together with the scenes. In this stage, you decide on how you want the story in the scenes to progress. Storyboard is just like a comic book but without the color and beauty because they are just sketches.
e. Scene layout: it simply means how you layout your scene from the camera angle to the positioning of the characters in the different camera angles depending on the mood of the scene
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:26pm On Apr 25, 2016
f. Animation: moving the characters in cutout or drawing them frame by frame to get the movement you want as regards the scenes of the story.
g. Composting: bringing the animated characters and the environment together to form a final piece. This also includes adding some effects if need be and then rendering out a final piece.

Next I will try to show the process I followed in my workflow for the next animation. We’ll focus on number b, c, d and e for the duration of the workflow and move into the other stages as we forge ahead.
NB: Photoshop is the tool used for the above mentioned stages.
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:32pm On Apr 25, 2016
Image1 below shows a sketch from part of the scene planning. Image2 shows the entire environment that I have planned to use with different camera angles. Shot 1 is more like a wide view showing most parts of the market, shot 2 shows a close-up of the shop where most of the action will take place, shot 3 also shows another close-up of different camera angle of the animation and also shot 4. I can decide to add more camera shots into my scene depending on the kind of project, the time frame and how appealing you want your animation to be. This process is part of the scene planning where you establish how you want your scene and environment to be presented and what you want it to look like. The four shots that make the canvas is called the thumbnails.
NB: note that a canvas is the work area in Photoshop

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:34pm On Apr 25, 2016
I tried to also sketch out where some of my characters will be positioned and animated when I start with the second stage of the project as seen in image 3 and 4 below. Notice the different positioning of the characters in the images.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:35pm On Apr 25, 2016
Creating the four panels is simple. Create a new layer and select the rectangular marquee tool, draw a rectangular box and fill it with a light grey colour, then duplicate the filled layer by hitting control j and move it down below with the move tool. Merge the two layers and duplicate and move to the right this time around then merge again.
I started sketching with the brush tool right away after preparing my thumbnails. Each thumbnail represents a sketch drawn from different camera angle.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:37pm On Apr 25, 2016
Below are images that show detailed paintings of the sketches we discussed in previous posts and we’re going to briefly see how I came about the final piece in my subsequent posts.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:38pm On Apr 25, 2016
more

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
still more

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 10:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
final piece

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 11:23pm On Apr 25, 2016
more posts soon
Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:31pm On Apr 29, 2016
CREATING THE SCENES
The breakdown of the first shot with the final placement of the characters is as shown in image1 below, it shows the foreground FG (elements closest to the camera), the midground MG (elements midway to the camera shot and the background BG (elements far from the camera). In this case, I also have the far BG which is the trees and houses in light blue colors. Now all these elements are separated in their own layers so I can move and animate them individually when I import into toon boom harmony.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:34pm On Apr 29, 2016
LAYER BREAKDOWNS
In image2 below, only one layer is visible which I labelled the sky. Creating the elements in this layer was easy. First use the gradient tool, choose a light blue to dark blue color and draw a straight line from one part of the canvass to the other. Secondly, use the lasso tool to draw out selections forming the trees, and houses and fill them with a darker blue color. This is how I created this layer that forms the far BG.

The ground layer (image 3)
Now creating the ground was complex, a deep knowledge of photoshop is needed to understand it fully and I’m not going to waste time with that, but summarily, it was created by a combination of colors, mixing the different colors together while using the brush tool, to create the brown dirt, the part that looks like there are grasses growing in that area and also I created the stones on a new layer by the same method and merge the layer with that of the ground to form one layer

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
Image4 is made up of the foreground elements which contain the foodstuffs like rice, beans, tomatoes, table, yam etc. all the foodstuffs where drawn and painted with the brush tool in their own layers before merging down. This is to maintain an organized workflow.

Image5 is made up of the background elements which is the house and the foodstuffs with the table. They were also painted on individual layers and merged down for organization.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:38pm On Apr 29, 2016
PERSPECTIVE
Before we move further into shot2, lets briefly discuss perspective which is defined as a horizon line drawn horizontally with a point called the vanishing point where other points coming from all angles meet. Perspective is very necessary for designing realistic and beautiful environments for animation and comics. Let’s use the image below as an illustration. We have 1-point, which is the one in the illustration below; we also have the 2-point, 3-point and multiple points. Shot1 made use of 2-point perspective while other shots used 1-point which we’ll see later. The line tool was used to draw all the lines of the perspective. This is why objects tend to get smaller as we travel further away from them.

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:40pm On Apr 29, 2016
I used the rule of perspective to create the second scene as seen in image6 below. The building, the cupboard and the table obeyed the rule during their construction.
NB: I reduced the opacity of the perspective lines layer so I can see my artwork better.

1 Share

Re: 2d Animaton Learning Thread by chubbyswit(m): 4:42pm On Apr 29, 2016
The same method was used to create each layer from the foreground to the background of shot2 just like shot1. The elements were created in separate layers before merging down. Let’s illustrate starting from the ground layer of image 7, Image8, image9 and image10 then finally the sky which is the far BG element.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Meets Talented Artist In Abuja Market. See What He Did Within 5 Minutes. / This Nigerian Artist’s Artworks Are So Realistic It’s Hard To Believe / Common Mistakes Most Photographers In Nigeria Make All The Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.