Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold (22681 Views)

Africans That Won The World Cup With France. / Marjorie Enya Proposes To Isadora Cerullo At The Olympics (PICS&VIDEO) / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:16am On Mar 13, 2016
Awwwwwn..... This is so glorious. One of the best moments of Nigeria's Super Golden Generation between the period of 1990-2000 (the last decade of the 20th century).

Thanks Sir Myndd. I can add this to my other Atlanta 96 videos. Truly inspirational. I was only 4+ yrs old at the time (I'm early 90s-born #smiles).

I pray we repeat such at Rio 2016. @Beijing 2008, we came really close but got Silver.

I see another Super Golden Generation rising for Nigerian football and "it all started in 2013"...

The likes of Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success, Kelechi Nwakali, Sadiq Umar, Victor Osimhen, Moses Simon, Musa Yahaya, Nura Abdullahi, Samuel Chukwueze, Dele Alampasu, Emmanuel Daniel, Oghenekaro Etebo, Alex Iwobi, Wilfred Ndidi, Chidozie Awaziem, Taiwo Awoniyi, Musa Mohammed, Akinjide Idowu, Chidiebere Nwakali (elder bro to Kelechi Nwakali), Kingsley Ehizibue, Kingsley Madu, Chisom Chikatara, and a big host of other Rising Super Talents from Nigeria are gradually taking centre stage.

Soon and very soon, another Golden Era of Nigerian football will be witnessed.

Meanwhile, The Nigerian Never say die Spirit is still alive in the heart of True Nigerians who will never give up and remain excellence-driven in anything they do. From Science, to Arts, to Sports and more.

Thanks again for sharing Sir. Really appreciate.

Mynd44:
I was going through a link sent to me and I accidentally stumbled on this video showing the highlights of Nigeria's first ever(and only) Olympic Gold in Football.

Couldn't find it on Youtube but here's a direct link

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154068378279923&id=258197249922
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by iamgiggssleaky(m): 5:58am On Mar 13, 2016
chiefololade:

It's a lie, golden goal was still used at Korea/Japan 2002

ur head dey there
I think the Henry camara's goal in the second round of the world cup against Sweden was what triggered the abolishment of the rule. it so pained the whole FiFA community cos everyone had tipped Sweden to knock out Senegal.
My opinion tho.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by iamgiggssleaky(m): 6:28am On Mar 13, 2016
One question I keep asking myself till date is :

Where did Victor Ikpeba drop his conscience before he came into the field? God of Mercy! that goal against Brazil was a thunderbolt.
reminds me of shegz okoro and oluwole kazim thunder in superstrikers lol.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Petermarshal(m): 6:46am On Mar 13, 2016
Where's the link?
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by victorazy(m): 7:37am On Mar 13, 2016
53cur3m0d3:

Damn! Memories be flooding back. The USA 94 Jersey against Bulgaria still remains my best ever Nigerian Jersey.
That jaga jaga thing? grin
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Bayonle10: 8:43am On Mar 13, 2016
ironMind:
for this time, we will go our baale house and watch the match. nobody have sleep by night. everybody wait for the match. indomie children is not understand what we talking
lol, daddy your English ooo
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Chigorkizz(m): 9:42am On Mar 13, 2016
mysticwarrior:
The semi final was the match of the tournament, with the brazilians parading the then present and future world class players like Bebeto, Roberto carlos, almighty Ronaldo de lima, Rivaldo, Aldair, and Dida in their team. Flavio took a free kick for the Brazilians which scale through the wall and the force of the shot was too much for the Nigerian goal keeper joseph Dosu and goal it was, Brazil 1 Nigeria 0. with the help of celestine Babayaro who set up a brilliant play leaving the Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos with no option than to put the ball in his own net and it was an own. Brazil 1 Nigeria 1. The Brazilians took the lead When Flavio made it 2 1 following a defensive error from Dosu. The Brazilians double the lead just before half time through USA 94 world cup hero Bebeto and the score line remains Brazil 3 nigeria 1. In the second half the brazilians where faced by a bitter resistance from a vicious and more formidable African side. The brazilian defense continued to soak heavy pressure from the indefatigable African warriors. Nigerian was awarded a penalty kick which saw brazilian goalkeeper saving JJ okocha's penalty 'Oh how I cried'. The Nigerians made two substitution as victor ikpeba and wilson Oruma came in. Daniel Amokachi, JJ okocha and Fatusi continue to terrorize the Brazilian defense, and soon the game took a new dimension when victor Ikpeba detonated a dynamite and it was a superb goal brazil 3 nigeria 2. The game went on and it appeared as if the brazilians were the ones advancing to the final. In the 89 minutes okocha took a throw in for Nigerian and there was a goal mouth scrabble in which Amokachi, fatusi and kanu were all involved, kanu was the last man in front of the brazilian goalkeeper and when the ball got to his position he conned the goalkeeper by playing the ball above him straight into the Brazilian net, 3 3 it was and the the stadium erupted as the soil of every Nigerian city was vibrating, Warri witnessed a thunderous roar and i believe same goes to every city in nigeria. The whole of brazil was thrown into a state of unwanted tranquility as the game proceed into extra time. The underdogs continued to show some spectacular display amidst the tired looking brazilians, a passed was made from a nigerian mid fielder and it hit the back of wilson Oruma, Kanu quickly took advantage of the situation and dribbled 2 Brazilian defenders at the same time before sending the Brazilian goalkeeper the wrong way, Nigeria 4 Brazil 3. History was made and the whole of Africa was thrown into jubilation, from Cairo to Cape town, from Free town to Mogadishu it has never happened before then. Nigeria sank the samba boys of great Brazil by 4goals to 3. It happened 20years ago but its just like yesterday.
You killed it!!!

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
Chaii... SupaStrikas FC of Nigeria. First met the Football comics while in secondary school (high school).

Is it still in circulation? Last time I read an issue, texaco was the sponsor. They took over from Amstel Malta or so... #smiles

Wow! Shegs Okoro, Haruna ilerika, Easy Okala, Cool Joe Atuegbu, Kazim Thunder Oluwole, etc, etc,.... And all the player villains and oppositions.... Really creative Nigerian stuff.

As for Ikpeba's goal, a cracker it was indeed. No wonder he was called "the prince of monaco" and went on to win the CAF POTY AWARD in 1997.

#memories&HistoryReading. *smiles*

iamgiggssleaky:
One question I keep asking myself till date is :

Where did Victor Ikpeba drop his conscience before he came into the field? God of Mercy! that goal against Brazil was a thunderbolt.
reminds me of shegz okoro and oluwole kazim thunder in superstrikers lol.

1 Like

Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by mikaael(m): 3:45pm On Mar 13, 2016
obi4eze:
I wish we could go back to those glory days.

I think I watched the match on a black and white TV.

Everyone tipped Brazil to win that match and I could remember my neighbour saying that Brazil had won when we were 3-1 down. But that Kanu's goal was classic.

Now, I dont support Nigeria any longer. I dont even care whether they win or lose their matches.

u've gat a brother who shares d feeling too....I xant rememba wen last I watchd their match...I miss d super eagles of old tho...Oliseh's goal agianst spain is my most memorable moment...and oh!..jay jay's dazzles!
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by 53cur3m0d3(m): 11:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
victorazy:
That jaga jaga thing? grin
Yesso!
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Princeparix(m): 7:18am On Mar 14, 2016
Argentina been Wan try to keep Nigeria offside but them no know say linesman d blind - dance shoki sometimes.
Re: How Nigeria Won The 1996 Olympics Football Gold by Paperwhite(m): 3:40pm On Sep 23, 2016
lloydpras:
Golden Goal was scrapped afterward.
Lol.
Shei? Whites are hypocrites.They wanted to favour Brazil but it backfired.I'm so happy it did.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Francis Aiyegbeni Dies (Former Boxer) / Messi Left Out Of Barcelona's 19-Man UCL Squad For Trip To Dynamo Kiev / Al-Ittihad Knock Cristiano Ronaldo And Al-Nassr Out Of The Saudi Super Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.