Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,940 members, 7,821,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These (28073 Views)

Things To Consider Before Choosing A Career / 10 Things To Consider When Creating Job Policy / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by 100Cents: 7:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
Its alright..

Bank money dey sweet..
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by GboyegaD(m): 8:00pm On Mar 15, 2016
Unfortunately, every bank in Nigeria has its own issues nonetheless, the fact that no bank rewards a loyal staff is the reason why you have to cross banks if you want to rise to the top early otherwise, you might still be an ABO after 10years of banking career.
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Ubiero(f): 8:02pm On Mar 15, 2016
I'm about to take a similar step.

True, my present place of employment has branch network and some other advantages but this new place has a sellable brand and some other advantages.

The truth is if you remain in a place for too long, you tend to be stagnated. If only I had read this particular quote a long time ago,
As per loyalty, it is
criminal to be loyal to an employer.
What you owe an employer is honesty,
hard work, commitment and trust. A lot
of organisations nowadays only reward
performance and neglect loyalty.,
I would have made a move and not waited this long.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Ubiero(f): 8:03pm On Mar 15, 2016
It certainly wouldn't hurt my pockets
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by diamondboa(m): 8:16pm On Mar 15, 2016
obiaguna:
Wait, how does somebody remain in a particular position for 6 years

I know of people on a grade for 10 yrs in a bank.
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Nobody: 8:16pm On Mar 15, 2016
Sijo01:
Hmmmm, eye opener! Op's advise can be applied to all sectors of the economy not just bank. Before you quite your present job, compare and contrast all angles between your present job and the new offer.

Where are d new offers self undecided
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 15, 2016
Ubiero:
I'm about to take a similar step.

True, my present place of employment has branch network and some other advantages but this new place has a sellable brand and some other advantages.

The truth is if you remain in a place for too long, you tend to be stagnated. If only I had read this particular quote a long time ago,
As per loyalty, it is
criminal to be loyal to an employer.
What you owe an employer is honesty,
hard work, commitment and trust. A lot
of organisations nowadays only reward
performance and neglect loyalty.,
I would have made a move and not waited this long.

You just touched my rat smiley
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by innocent1(m): 8:31pm On Mar 15, 2016
[quote author=Objectives post=43801411][/quote]

Thanks for the correction
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by miqos02(m): 8:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
thagift:
my ATM don expire abeg how I go take renew am?
me
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by kunbit(f): 9:18pm On Mar 15, 2016
Finally, a reasonable thread about banks, for bankers...
I'm learning
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by adebrightayo(f): 9:59pm On Mar 15, 2016
Good idea! I love this thread, I personally work with diamond bank as a marketer but their fixed pay is low & they really based on commission, moreso their market strategy doesn't involve Zero acct opening, and documentation must complete, my plan is 2 join another bank that doesn't based on commission and I can quickly open acct for customer without openiing money and move on, but the bank am looking into there monthly target is much and after 2years there's tendency that they can retain those that meet up with there target.
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Funkychic(f): 10:08pm On Mar 15, 2016
EdidiongXL:
Sometimes I wonder how you guys talk people into opening up accounts in your bank. It's not really an easy task I guess especially if you aren't a delectable lady.

My dear...you are right. I'm a marketer, and to talk these people into opening accounts with ur bank.....u will have to convince them with all d 'convinceable words'
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Adesiji77: 10:12pm On Mar 15, 2016
Setaje:

grin

Which one are you advertising? Closeup, Maclean or Dabur? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Adesiji77: 10:22pm On Mar 15, 2016
GboyegaD:
Unfortunately, every bank in Nigeria has its own issues nonetheless, the fact that no bank rewards a loyal staff is the reason why you have to cross banks if you want to rise to the top early otherwise, you might still be an ABO after 10years of banking career.

Valid points, also @Ubiero

The fastest way to grow is to move across banks. Even if you are a star performer, you may still have to jump ship at some point.

The key thing is to prepare for the "cultural shock" and not have unduly high expectations about a new employer.

Be ready for "rude shocks" and maintain a high level of positivity as long as the new pay is worth your while.

Of course, the pay should not be the sole determinant. Be wary of banks with high staff turnovers.
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by divalindiway(f): 10:30pm On Mar 15, 2016
I have found a thread to vent.
I work for a bank, am a Bsc 2'1 holder,working as a contract staff. The funny thing is that this bank even recently converted their main staff with N.D and HND to contract too.Then just this month they employed fresh grad as E.T. How can u place two people with same qualification on diff salary scheme. It really annoying in this said bank and they still expect us to smile to their customers. Well even though I never planned working in a bank, am am sooo crossing to another bank if I get a chance.
Working my ass out here for the meagre salary while another with same qualification and lesser experience eats fat...mbanu !!

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by gazmann(m): 10:37pm On Mar 15, 2016
anonymox321:
To start with, I never read Marketing and throughout when I was in school, it never crossed my mind I would be selling/marketing a bank.

U know how it is in this country to get a job. U will have to share a testimony if u get one.

So when I was invited by bank A for an aptitude test, I was very happy. I passed the test and d bank A invited me for an interview, I had to form being a marketer when I learnt it's marketers they wanted. I came from an average family. It was a miracle how I got enough money to finance my university education. So I needed the job badly to give back to my family that sacrificed a lot for me. Thank God I got it.

I struggled in my first two years on the job. Narrowly, I escaped being exited from bank A based on performance. Because i didnt want to lose the regular salaries, I had to sit up. I began to read books on marketing and benchmarked top performers and then my performance changed from being very poor to average. But after six years on the job, I was still on the same grade. So your bank A is ecobank/fidelity

When bank B offered me a higher grade/higher pay, I grabbed the offer. Because I was very excited, before accepting the offer, I didn't consider that:

(1) The brand of Bank A was more than bank B. Hence, marketing was easier in Bank A than in B
(2) Bank A has more branch network than bank B. A very critical factor some prospects consider before doing business with a bank.
(3) Bank A has more corporate accounts than Bank B. A critical factor distributors consider before banking u.
(4) The internal processes in bank A are better than that of bank B. In bank A, I could open an account for a customer in 10 mins, help another customer do transfer in 8 mins
(5) In bank A, most of their reports are already automated. That way, I could get more time to focus on d job instead of sending one report or the other to mgt. In bank B, the reports have to be manually generated.
(6) However, the staff welfare package in bank B is better than bank A's. Also, they don't sack often than they do in bank A.
(7) Your loyalty is tested. I felt like Judas thereafter.

So I had to work harder to bring in accounts in bank B. It was by a miracle I even met my confirmation target.

There is no perfect system anywhere. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

So before u make that move, don't just get excited about the mouth- watery offer, weigh the costs and benefits, pray to God to guide your decisions or else u may be gambling with your career.

I was quick to conclude your bank A was zenith until you mentioned sack and you really cant stay 6 years on one level.. even if you insist they promote you especially entry level
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Rexology: 10:40pm On Mar 15, 2016
Justicealh3:
The name of the banks
Bank A=UBA

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by gazmann(m): 10:45pm On Mar 15, 2016
Rexology:

Bank A=UBA

Yessss 6 years on one level normal things

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Justicealh3(m): 10:45pm On Mar 15, 2016
Rexology:
UBA
Both Bank A & B is UBA
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by obiaguna(m): 10:47pm On Mar 15, 2016
diamondboa:

I know of people on a grade for 10 yrs in a bank.

Jesus Christ!!! Like what could be the reasons for such issues. Aren't they excellent at their jobs or what? 10 freaking years mehn.. Shit..
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by obiaguna(m): 10:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
Mehn suffer plenty for these Nigerian banks.. I always tell my folks that it's the guys that came into baking years ago that enjoyed not youths of today.. Contract this contract that.. Target this target that..
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by MrHackmed1(m): 10:53pm On Mar 15, 2016
Bank A is GTB while Bank B is Ecobank tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Frankdamaxx(m): 11:49pm On Mar 15, 2016
MrHackmed1:
Bank A is GTB while Bank B is Ecobank tongue tongue

My thoughts exactly. grin

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by kending: 12:26am On Mar 16, 2016
When did diamond bank start the recruitment?
cuteguy007:
Hello sir, I love your analysis. Please, in all this, how do you rate the chances of a new ET (Entry Trainee) with Diamond Bank who is about to commence the usual six months training?

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by opribo(m): 5:05am On Mar 16, 2016
@OP, well said but know that in Nigerian banks the key thing is moving up. 6 yrs in one bank same level that's a stunted career growth. In 6 yrs you could have attained 3 steps if you moved well.

Be that as it may my advice to them bank workers never stop moving up because the longer you stay in any one bank the more you expose yourself to candidacy for sack and you know their manner of sack is the most humiliating.
HR doesn't tell you nothing, you come work do your normal day work then suddenly you cannot sign in and your accounts blocked. No money no work. That's enough to give one a cardiac arrest.
Wicked sector I can never wish a normal human being to work in such an unprofessional sector. Its an all comers industry, best for their glorified hooker marketers and average workers. Its a place where you see all manner of rejects taking solace. Where in the world do you wear black suit under this hot sun looking for money if they are smart people can't they come up with a better dressing to suit the weather like a simple white shirt and trouser, must you wear that black suit and be smelling all over the place. They are a disgusting sight to behold in the market place.

3 Likes

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by opribo(m): 5:16am On Mar 16, 2016
@OP, well said but know that in Nigerian banks the keep thing is moving up. 6 yrs in one bank same level that's a stunted career growth. In 6 yrs you could have attained 3 steps if you moved well.

Be that as it may my advice to them bank workers never stop moving up because the longer you stay in any one bank the more you expose yourself to candidacy for sack and you know their manner of sack is the most humiliating.
HR doesn't tell you nothing, you come work do your normal day work then suddenly you cannot sign in and your accounts blocked. No money no work. That's enough to give one a cardiac arrest.
Wicked sector o can never wish a normal human being to work in such an unprofessional sector, a place where u have an engineer doing tellering job or a medical doctor working as a marketer. . Its an all comers industry, best for their glorified hooker marketers and workers. Its a place where you see all manner of rejects taking solace. Where in the world do you wear black suit under this hot sun looking for money if they are smart can't they come up with a better dressing to suit the weather like a simple white shirt and trouser, must you wear that black suit and be smelling all over the place. They are a disgusting site to behold in the market place.

If I were to advice govt we will have not more than 4 banks in Nigeria with a super big network of branches and regional Md's. The CBN will be able to monitor and regulate their activities. They will employ more professional people. The unhealthy competition would be gone. Customers confidence will be increased, branches will spread to the nooks and crannies of the country like glo network.
Banks like keystone, unity, fidelity,wema, fcmb, heritage,zenith, diamond should be merged into the likes of first bank, uba, unionbank and maybe gt bank. That's my solution to the problem. We don't need all that much number. All plenty more jobs available.

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by atikuman(m): 6:13am On Mar 16, 2016
Am in the real estate sector... You have also talked before you get clients to buy properties...meanwhile can you give me names of the books u have read......we should partner ..cause your targets could be turn to properties clients as well. Have a great day.
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Nobody: 7:03am On Mar 16, 2016
I'd rather be emptying soak-away pits than being a marketer for a bank! It's called CORPORATE SLAVERY! angry angry
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Ahmed3rdjuly: 7:05am On Mar 16, 2016
obiaguna:
Wait, how does somebody remain in a particular position for 6 years
6 Years
That not up to half of what a friend of mine who spent 13 years.
Banking is not what most people think it is, Many bankers use their suite to cover whats going on inside that is why people think bankers are stingy.
Who no go no know.

1 Like

Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by Ahmed3rdjuly: 7:09am On Mar 16, 2016
I ran from bank A which was promoting every 2-3 years thinking bank B which is bigger and a better brand would make me move faster but now 6 years in bank B without a single promotion.

Except God directs your pass you might just be walking in circles
Re: Before You Cross To Another Bank, Consider These by spencekat(m): 7:10am On Mar 16, 2016
Funkychic:

My dear...you are right. I'm a marketer, and to talk these people into opening accounts with ur bank.....u will have to convince them with all d 'convinceable words'
More power to your elbow.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Horrible Experience At A Military Event / Now That I Got A Job I Am Now Confused. / Chevening Scholarship Or A N240k Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.