Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,567 members, 7,958,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:35 PM

Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC (37746 Views)

The Battle For Senate Presidency: PDP Has The Upper-hand / NASS Crisis: Supremacy Belongs To The People, Not Party – Dogara / Accept Party Supremacy, Buhari Tells Senators, Reps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by ATERI(m): 10:02pm On Mar 13, 2016
ikeg7416:
I'm not even south African and I feel insulted for them that BBC had the audacity to compare south Africa to Nigeria. What an insult to South Africa. Even comparing Somaliato Nigeria is an insult to Somalia. There's not BBB one country in Africa Nigeria is on their level, not one. ****

Are you confident enough to tell us the name of your country?
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by mildflame: 10:18pm On Mar 13, 2016
onunwa21:
Nigeria pls don't be like Chelsea
See dis FOWL wey de talk, USELESS ASSnal abi na Woman UTD. THUNDER FIRE ur A-SS
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Adeniyimi: 10:19pm On Mar 13, 2016
ikeg7416:
I'm not even south African and I feel insulted for them that BBC had the audacity to compare south Africa to Nigeria. What an insult to South Africa. Even comparing Somaliato Nigeria is an insult to Somalia. There's not BBB one country in Africa Nigeria is on their level, not one. ****

I know u haven't traveled to anywhere in d world b4 thats y u just open mouth.... Illiteracy is killing u. Migrate to ghana or any other visa free country. South Africa knows they can't compare themselves with 9ja. Nigeria is far better than anyother country in africa

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by chineloSA(f): 10:20pm On Mar 13, 2016
Adeniyimi:

I know u haven't traveled to anywhere in d world b4 thats y u just open mouth.... Illiteracy is killing u. Migrate to ghana or any other visa free country. South Africa knows they can't compare themselves with 9ja. Nigeria is far better than anyother country in africa

grin grin grin

Ordinary Botswana and Morocco beats us. Talk less of Madagascar or Seychelles.

Wake up from that dream, biko.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by chesterlee(m): 10:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
Ioannes:
Walahi, I don't blame the south Africans at all. if not for Gej who fvcked us up several times last year during the Mandela burial and the illegal money laundering scandal, as well as our brothers from we-know-where who like carrying drugs upandan, why will South Africa, whom we helped liberate from apartheid some few years ago be making yanga at us.

issorite.

Chattap!

if not for GEJ that made Nigeria the biggest economy in Africaz u think say u go get mouth to talk when SA sneeze?
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 13, 2016
ikeg7416:

Abeg which country are you from? grin grin
better gerrarahere mehn
why are you on nairaland
olori buruku
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Werehkpe: 10:47pm On Mar 13, 2016
Rikidony:
This week South Africa's President Jacob Zuma visited Nigeria and stressed that Africa's two economic giants could work together. Relations have been fraught, not helped by South African deaths in a Nigerian pastor's building and a $5bn Nigerian fine for a South African phone company.

Here, two writers take a tongue-in-cheek look at how the nations see each other.

How us South Africans view Nigerians

Milton Nkosi, Johannesburg
The view of Nigerians by South Africans can be described as a form of sibling rivalry, at best.

South Africans generally see Nigerians as having a chip on their shoulder along with an over-confidence tinged with a bit of arrogance.

Each time there's a so-called 419 email scam involving strangers offering millions of dollars in exchange for banking details, locals here tend to blame it on the Nigerians.

That's even if there is no evidence of which country the scam originates from.

Stereotypically, problems such as organised crime - including drug lords and prostitution rings - are seen as a Nigerian import.

Newspapers were very critical of Nigeria when a church building collapsed in Lagos two years ago killing 106 people - 81 of them were South African.

Authorities in the capital Pretoria complained that the bodies were not repatriated quickly enough.

The current deadlock between South African telecoms giant company MTN and Nigerian authorities about the $5bn (£3.5bn) fine imposed by Nigeria sits comfortably amongst many other squabbles.

I think South Africans have never honestly accepted being leap-frogged by Nigeria to the number one spot as Africa's largest economy .

Until 2014 South Africa had always held the number one position.

So it came as some sort of relief to locals here, when data was released saying Johannesburg had more than twice as many dollar millionaires as Lagos.

The xenophobic attacks last year did not help the situation, even though no Nigerians who attacked specifically because of their nationality.

Nigeria recalled two diplomats after a row about visa restrictions, although both capitals denied that was the reason.
Sometimes it deteriorates to a level of frivolous accusations that Nigerian men who come into the country with the financial strength of hard currency take South African women from the local boys.

How us Nigerians view South Africans
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, Abuja
To many Nigerians, South Africa is the closest to the West that you can find on the African continent.

The country's shops could be mistaken for those found on Oxford Street in London.
Its roads are smooth and wide.
And its climate gives your complexion that peculiar glow which lets everyone back home know, without your having to boast, that you have just returned from abroad.
All this makes South Africa the holiday destination of choice for many Nigerians whenever an American or British visa is proving too hard to get.

And so, it is with sadness that Nigeria watches as South Africa regresses in ways that were previously associated with other African countries, such as frequent electricity outages.

If they succeed in ruining their country, where else in Africa shall we seek a similar haven whenever the West doesn't want us?
Although, to be honest, our sadness is tinged with a good dose of schadenfreude.
Nigerians feel that South Africans hate us, even if their hatred is of a paradoxical kind.
They hate us for our "swagger", our ability to command instant attention by hook or crook.

They hate us for being the walking, living proof that colour of skin is not a sufficient deterrent to economic success in post-apartheid South Africa.

They hate us for our smartness and sharpness, which sometimes leads to the swiping of a few hundred thousand rand.
On the other hand, they love our musicians and Nollywood actresses and pastors.
And their women keep getting swept off their feet by our men.

Nigerians feel that many South Africans would rather we were tipped off the edge of the continent, leaving them to take the stage as Africa's one and only beautiful bride.

But, like wise co-wives in polygamous arrangements all over the world, Nigerians know that we must learn to live with them.
After all, there is more than enough space in Africa for the two countries and their peoples to shine.

Who wins the numbers game?

Biggest economy : Nigeria wins, with a GDP of $568.5bn in 2014 compared to $350.1bn in South Africa

Most millionaires in one city: South Africa wins with 23,400 in Johannesburg, compared to 9,100 in Lagos

Most people: Nigeria wins by quite a bit with 177.5 million people compared to 54 million in South Africa

[size=14pt]Most educated: All South Africans go to primary school compared to 85% of Nigerians[/size]

Longest lives: South Africans live longer, with a life expectancy of 57 years compared to 52 for Nigerians

Sources: World Bank, AfrAsia Bank

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35763121

Please the fact is that Naija has more BSc's, MSc's, Phd's graduates than ANY African country. I dont know why BBC will limit its data to primary schools.

#Bias

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by willibounce1(m): 10:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
Africa can't make any meaningful progress without the help of the white people. Africa is messed up. The leaders are bunch of animals with dead brains.

If the whites were still in control of Nigerian govt by now, the country would have made a lot of sense. South Africa is ahead because of the efforts of the white folks. The white folks are gone and they can't do anything reasonable themselves. The only thing we know is to brag,eat and fight.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Olakunle007(m): 10:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
Parolee:

When is "very soon"?

I'm not sure what you actually mean - the best will be for each nation to work towards betterment of society and advancement in all spheres of life rather than comparing.

It is highly unlikely that SA will be surpassed in many indexes of development by any African country - it will take rather a very long period for that to happen.

Take for instance the energy sector. Soon SA will be producing up to 55000MW of electricity - which other African country can do that in the next 20years?

I earnest agree with you but the fact still remain Nigeria has what it takes to out pace South Africa within the next five years. It's a matter of determination. South Africa is yet to reach a stage we can't walk to. And to your question, I can nominate northern Africa countries which I believe can reach the stage before 10 years. Only that I can't find any within the west.
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 13, 2016
chesterlee:

Chattap!

if not for GEJ that made Nigeria the biggest economy in Africaz u think say u go get mouth to talk when SA sneeze?

do you know the meaning of "rebasing". go and find out and stop advertising your ignorance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Bluffly: 10:59pm On Mar 13, 2016
If the real South Africa want to lay claims they should exit all whites from their country and let's see who stands at the African level. Africa has a genetic issue. Zimbabwe is a good example that was doing well when whites governed but shrinking when Mugabe took over. Among black to black forget South Africans has Nigerians are far more liberated than they are. How I wish we can exhume integrity and creativity here in Nigeria then we can proudly stand amongst leagues of Nations.
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by hadaydoyin(m): 11:05pm On Mar 13, 2016
S.A is a lovely country! nice weather and government and shits compare 2 Nigeria

Though am clueless to when S.A was ever d giant of Africa

you guy's need to chill.. d write up is kind of bias!!

saw one nonsense like 85% south Africans go to primary school? so please what is d % of Nigerians,Go to any top universities in the world! Nigerians are breaking and setting records!!!

Even the method used to compare wealth wise is just ridiculous! Abacha loots alone should shut ya up!

Nigera will always be d Giant of Africa!!! even if d country is fu#ckd.
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by ROYALD(m): 11:06pm On Mar 13, 2016
criminality nko?
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 11:08pm On Mar 13, 2016
mavinc4u:

do the needful. you are wasting a space.
i have noticed you. now take several seats at the back will you.
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by jbichene(m): 11:09pm On Mar 13, 2016
thesicilian:
I love South Africa, I think I'll rather live there than Nigeria. Although to be fair, if not for the whites, I'm sure South Africa would be much less developed than even Nigeria's abysmal state today
, first of all we dont care were u'll rather stay if u like goto SA and expose yourself to xenophobia the price of garri will not change ,secondly when you say its because of the whites - it disgust me, your inferiority complex is all over ur post ,lastly when u say "even Nigeria's" I get furious, with our insurgency issues we can still stand to challenge any African state in any aspect,military, economy name it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 13, 2016
crownwealth:

Zombistic disease is eating people's brain since May 29th 2015.

I blame Jonathan. embarassed

zombistic do yourself a favour, go back to school. maybe if you refrain from dropping out this time you will stop kissing the @ss of your fellow human being.
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by vickylala239: 11:12pm On Mar 13, 2016
Rikidony:
This week South Africa's President Jacob Zuma visited Nigeria and stressed that Africa's two economic giants could work together. Relations have been fraught, not helped by South African deaths in a Nigerian pastor's building and a $5bn Nigerian fine for a South African phone company.

Here, two writers take a tongue-in-cheek look at how the nations see each other.

How us South Africans view Nigerians

Milton Nkosi, Johannesburg
The view of Nigerians by South Africans can be described as a form of sibling rivalry, at best.

South Africans generally see Nigerians as having a chip on their shoulder along with an over-confidence tinged with a bit of arrogance.

Each time there's a so-called 419 email scam involving strangers offering millions of dollars in exchange for banking details, locals here tend to blame it on the Nigerians.

That's even if there is no evidence of which country the scam originates from.

Stereotypically, problems such as organised crime - including drug lords and prostitution rings - are seen as a Nigerian import.

Newspapers were very critical of Nigeria when a church building collapsed in Lagos two years ago killing 106 people - 81 of them were South African.

Authorities in the capital Pretoria complained that the bodies were not repatriated quickly enough.

The current deadlock between South African telecoms giant company MTN and Nigerian authorities about the $5bn (£3.5bn) fine imposed by Nigeria sits comfortably amongst many other squabbles.

I think South Africans have never honestly accepted being leap-frogged by Nigeria to the number one spot as Africa's largest economy .

Until 2014 South Africa had always held the number one position.

So it came as some sort of relief to locals here, when data was released saying Johannesburg had more than twice as many dollar millionaires as Lagos.

The xenophobic attacks last year did not help the situation, even though no Nigerians who attacked specifically because of their nationality.

Nigeria recalled two diplomats after a row about visa restrictions, although both capitals denied that was the reason.
Sometimes it deteriorates to a level of frivolous accusations that Nigerian men who come into the country with the financial strength of hard currency take South African women from the local boys.

How us Nigerians view South Africans
Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani, Abuja
To many Nigerians, South Africa is the closest to the West that you can find on the African continent.

The country's shops could be mistaken for those found on Oxford Street in London.
Its roads are smooth and wide.
And its climate gives your complexion that peculiar glow which lets everyone back home know, without your having to boast, that you have just returned from abroad.
All this makes South Africa the holiday destination of choice for many Nigerians whenever an American or British visa is proving too hard to get.

And so, it is with sadness that Nigeria watches as South Africa regresses in ways that were previously associated with other African countries, such as frequent electricity outages.

If they succeed in ruining their country, where else in Africa shall we seek a similar haven whenever the West doesn't want us?
Although, to be honest, our sadness is tinged with a good dose of schadenfreude.
Nigerians feel that South Africans hate us, even if their hatred is of a paradoxical kind.
They hate us for our "swagger", our ability to command instant attention by hook or crook.

They hate us for being the walking, living proof that colour of skin is not a sufficient deterrent to economic success in post-apartheid South Africa.

They hate us for our smartness and sharpness, which sometimes leads to the swiping of a few hundred thousand rand.
On the other hand, they love our musicians and Nollywood actresses and pastors.
And their women keep getting swept off their feet by our men.

Nigerians feel that many South Africans would rather we were tipped off the edge of the continent, leaving them to take the stage as Africa's one and only beautiful bride.

But, like wise co-wives in polygamous arrangements all over the world, Nigerians know that we must learn to live with them.
After all, there is more than enough space in Africa for the two countries and their peoples to shine.

Who wins the numbers game?

Biggest economy : Nigeria wins, with a GDP of $568.5bn in 2014 compared to $350.1bn in South Africa

Most millionaires in one city: South Africa wins with 23,400 in Johannesburg, compared to 9,100 in Lagos

Most people: Nigeria wins by quite a bit with 177.5 million people compared to 54 million in South Africa

Most educated: All South Africans go to primary school compared to 85% of Nigerians

Longest lives: South Africans live longer, with a life expectancy of 57 years compared to 52 for Nigerians

Sources: World Bank, AfrAsia Bank

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35763121

Rubbish where is our musicians...

Actresses actors....

Most black nation...

Nations cup...

Under 17 world cup...

We beat south blue black
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by greggng: 11:18pm On Mar 13, 2016
willibounce1:
Africa can't make any meaningful progress without the help of the white people. Africa is messed up. The leaders are bunch of animals with dead brains.

If the whites were still in control of Nigerian govt by now, the country would have made a lot of sense. South Africa is ahead because of the efforts of the white folks. The white folks are gone and they can't do anything reasonable themselves. The only thing we know is to brag,eat and fight.

How about sex lol
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by jbichene(m): 11:18pm On Mar 13, 2016
willibounce1:

people like you are Africa's main problem , just see the nonsense mentality you putting online ,"African's can't make any meaningful..." next Time talk for yourself alone be like "I can't make any meaningful progress without whites" ,please relocate to were the whites are
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by rikamann: 11:20pm On Mar 13, 2016
Philpham:
The west is our problem, always looking for ways to cause problems and rivalry plus hatred between Africans, why the comparison?, why not find similarities between these two nations to unite them.
White people are just Devi.ls.
On point sir!
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by jbichene(m): 11:22pm On Mar 13, 2016
chineloSA:

grin grin grin

Ordinary Botswana and Morocco beats us. Talk less of Madagascar or Seychelles.

Wake up from that dream, biko.
get your facts right, stop posting what you don't know or can't prove
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by kachnov(m): 11:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
The both nations should set aside their differences and work together for a better Africa
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by petkoffDrake(m): 11:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
tsephanyah:
Nigeria is not near south Africa

Ur a South African? undecided
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by BigElEddy(m): 11:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
tsephanyah:
Nigeria is not near south Africa

$hemal£ tongue
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by willibounce1(m): 11:30pm On Mar 13, 2016
jbichene:
people like you are Africa's main problem , just see the nonsense mentality you putting online ,"African's can't make any meaningful..." next Time talk for yourself alone be like "I can't make any meaningful progress without whites" ,please relocate to were the whites are

Keep quiet! Tell me anything meaningful you can do in this country without the help of the white man.your bridges, roads, high rise buildings, malls, cars, television, radio, almost every damn thing. You are the type that will roll out drums and start dancing when ur dead brain leaders commission roads and boreholes. Tell me one meaningful thing you have been able to create or achieve on your own. Cow

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by willibounce1(m): 11:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
greggng:

How about sex lol

Yes. You are right. That's why we have all kinda mixtures just for sex... alomo, ogidiga, baby oku, orijin, ori malu, and other nonsense. Same way the crazy politicians steal money just to waste it on prostitutes and the evil northern politicians run after underage girls. Evil, selfish, annoying leaders in Africa and especially in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by MichaelSokoto(m): 11:49pm On Mar 13, 2016
Tunami:
bbc forgot to note that nigeria is greater than south africa in terms of corruption, child marriage, militancy, fraud, fulani killers, terrorism etc all this also includes what makes us the giant of africa.
moomoo, c where ya bad mind dey go.
why mention fulani herdsmen naw?
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Gamesmart: 12:14am On Mar 14, 2016
Werehkpe:

Please the fact is that Naija has more BSc's, MSc's, Phd's graduates than ANY African country. I dont know why BBC will limit its data to primary schools.

#Bias

You mean PhDs like GEJ's and BScs like Mama Piss'?
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by quickly: 12:15am On Mar 14, 2016
willibounce1:

Keep quiet! Tell me anything meaningful you can do in this country without the help of the white man.your bridges, roads, high rise buildings, malls, cars, television, radio, almost every damn thing. You are the type that will roll out drums and start dancing when ur dead brain leaders commission roads and boreholes. Tell me one meaningful thing you have been able to create or achieve on your own. Cow

Olio Africans build the bridges our engineers designed that and even houses. Car is another matter.

We have to encourage our people

Our education needs to be more practical and cramming to pass exam.

Once we change.our educational system the sky's the limit.

If u r a science student u need to be practical
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Gamesmart: 12:18am On Mar 14, 2016
willibounce1:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by greatsodade(m): 12:22am On Mar 14, 2016
SleekMallam:
In terms of mega watts of energy generated and transmitted? Anyone?

That will be South Africa 45,000 megawatt Vs Nigeria 3,000 megawatt ooo

I swear we no they try for this country all all

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V South Africa: The Battle For African Supremacy - BBC by Nobody: 12:24am On Mar 14, 2016
prelinctus:
Sadly, as long as whites are still in South Africa, they'll forever remain miles above Nigeria.
As long as there are whites in South Africa apathism will technically contiue. A situation whereby 1 white man is equal to 2 black men when it comes to public resources sharing. And if you ask why, they will justify themselves in their response.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See What Was Actually Distributed To Farmers During Buhari’s Visit To Bauchi / President Tinubu Reacts To Ajuri Ngelale’s Indefinite Leave Notice / Thanksgiving Service Organised For The Released Chibok Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.