Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:11 PM

U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw (3435 Views)

Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% / Nigeria’s Gas Revenue Drops By 50% / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by adamabdul: 6:15pm On Jul 21, 2009
Gayigaskia:

Don't worry Nigeria, u will get more power when Niger republic finishes building it's hydro electric dam and it's oil refinery in two years term.
It Is Not Upto two years,just some months}
THE MOST POOREST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD WILL BRING LIGHT TO THE RICHEST COUNTRY IN AFRICA.HAHAHAHA
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by dinggle: 6:17pm On Jul 21, 2009
These guys never stop thinking of how to align their their pockets with the people's wealth via bogus contract. With all the gas in the country now they wanna import what sense does it make?, bottom line, they will claim to have imported by december yet there will be no improvement in power outage, by then billions of naira of our scarce resource would have gone into aligning political pockets via mega contract of gas importation.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by hackney(m): 6:34pm On Jul 21, 2009
Under normal circumstances the average nigerian is lazy and the govt are nigerians so do the math.
Where have you seen anything done properly in that country?
In that country if jobs are not at stake , you can wake up one morning and none of 140m people went to work.

You want the govt to get up and implement something for our resources  when they can just throw money at someone else to get ready-made?

You want a politician to do some work?
You people are not serious
E be like say everytime our memory dey reboot like dell.
Are you people even nigerians?
Things still dey shock una
na wa oo!!
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by naijatoday: 6:50pm On Jul 21, 2009
here is a report about Nigeria form FT-London.

It talks about Politics, Lagos politics, Lagos real estate, economy, CBN, Reform, Corruption, Oil and Gas, HiTV.

I wanted to start a topic, but for some reason my topic are not showing.

http://www.ft.com/reports/nigeria-2009
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by platinumnk(f): 8:02pm On Jul 21, 2009
We need a revolution angry
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 21, 2009
platinumnk:

We need a revolution angry

What you said has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Don't you have anything beneficial or informative at least.
Or are you just idly surfing and dropping one liners that will be forgotten before a reader even leaves the page?

(The fact is your far away and are not experiencing the things you see on NL, so i don't expect you to know completely what it's like,
but that is no an excuse to display ignorance)
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by platinumnk(f): 8:59pm On Jul 21, 2009
ikay88:

What you said has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. Don't you have anything beneficial or informative at least.
Or are you just idly surfing and dropping one liners that will be forgotten before a reader even leaves the page?

(The fact is your far away and are not experiencing the things you see on NL, so i don't expect you to know completely what it's like,
but that is no an excuse to display ignorance)

I beg ur pardon, it has EVERYTHING to do with the topic! I chose not to write a paragraph! How can the president and his followers suck all the money and goods out of nigeria and all people can do is sit and complain online?

Ha, dont think voting is going to change shit, the president will suck all the money till everyone including him will eat rocks.

So again, we need a revolution to make them use the plentiful resources we have.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nobody: 12:00am On Jul 22, 2009
So again, we need a revolution to make them use the plentiful resources we have.
Think the time for a revolution has passed with Abacha's demise.
More like we should get the undivided attention and cooperation of those in err (like ASUU is trying to do to the FG)
In my opinion i prefer the country not touching any more resources till it's mature enough to. The damage from oil pollution without any environmental protection agency intervention is already too much. 

I still don't see the connection of what you're saying with the original topic, BUT i'll respond anyway, from what u say

How can the president and his followers suck all the money and goods out of nigeria and all people can do is sit and complain online?

1. I am not aware of any allegations made against our current president concerning embezzlement of public funds. If there are i'd like to be informed.
He has also shown his disdain for such activities eg His lampooning of the house of reps, particularly the speaker Dimeji Bankole, leading to a call for his impeachment.

2. I have noticed that nigerians have a tendency to complain, sometimes in unnecessary or even wrong situations. I have also noticed that a very small number actually act upon these complaints especially in exacerbated issues (such as the MEND). I feel therefore that it is necessary for us complainers to spread the truth and facts of matters rather than general assumptions. So that, if we don't finally act ourselves, maybe we would influence someone who can the right way.
This would be much better than incorrectly assuming evil is where it is not.

P.S.
   nigerians at home are in great need of positive thoughts. They have to worry about so many things (Outcome of transportation, educational, agricultural and general life tasks) more than those abroad. This naturally weighs on a humans mind and leads to anxiety, fear, stress, d list goes on. You can see it on peoples faces and in their actions.
   I came from Ghana last month and i found that during a months stay there i had unhinged and let loose without even intending too. Just because i didnt have to worry about thieves, car jackers, impossible traffic jams, showing so much wealth to attract kidnappers, etc. This country is just 45 minutes flight away from Lagos.
What the country needs now is good education and a change in attitude of the people the rest should inevitably follow with time.
(I'm a believer of like breeds like wink )
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Becomrich: 12:27am On Jul 22, 2009
Nigeria is a sick nation. I will continue to pray for you people.

See CNN report , how we waste gas. and they want to import from the USA. you do you think you are tricking. obama habi. una get problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzj3rEUEXoo&feature=related
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by platinumnk(f): 1:47am On Jul 22, 2009
ikay88:

1. I am not aware of any allegations made against our current president concerning embezzlement of public funds. If there are i'd like to be informed.

After u said that, i stopped reading. What dillsusional world do live in? How come ure running away to Ghana where they have uninterrupted light? Na waah for u lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by skylooh(m): 3:33am On Jul 22, 2009
OH NIGERIA WHAT IS HAPPENING TO YOU

To imagine that few months ago the european union was planing to build a multi billion dollar, mega gas pipeline in the niger delta region of nigeria ,that will start from niger delta through northern nigeria, the sahara desert all the way to europe to supply the EU with much needed gas that nigeria has been flaring for decades shocked shocked shocked

IN THE ABUNDANCE OF WATER A FOOL IS ALWAYS THIRSTY
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by sley4life(m): 3:50am On Jul 22, 2009
i smell hoax here
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by sley4life(m): 3:51am On Jul 22, 2009
9ja cant achieve any target regarding power. That was how obj fooled us. We shall keep waiting till our teeth grows bears
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by sley4life(m): 3:52am On Jul 22, 2009
Lets keep buying our TIGER generator. Why cant +ve things in 9ja be stable?
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by hbrednic: 4:19am On Jul 22, 2009
Argentina imports its gas from Bolivia,why cant mr yaradua import direct from Bolivia?
all na yahozee!!!the more you look.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by smooooooth: 8:49am On Jul 22, 2009
2 things bother me.
1. after spending million importing this gas, there will still be no light by december

2. once we start importing, we will continue for the next 50years.

God help us embarassed
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nezan(m): 9:57am On Jul 22, 2009
smooooooth:

2 things bother me.
1. after spending million importing this gas, there will still be no light by december

2. once we start importing, we will continue for the next 50years.

God help us embarassed
so sad angry
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Beline(f): 10:11am On Jul 22, 2009
What can't we import in this country? it's sadden imagine that what we are about to import is one of the principal things that are causing problem in Niger Delta.  Flaring gas or will I call it wasting gas, now we want to import that which we waste.

GOD PLEASE HELP US
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by larez(m): 12:32pm On Jul 22, 2009
If I remember correctly, we have at least 6 trains currently online. Yes, there are contractual obligations tied to these gas trains, but you do not ship sand to the desert. As long as gas is being produced in Nigeria that meets our needs, there should never be a need to import gas into Nigeria.

At best, Nigerian Government should negotiate an exchange where Gas we purchase will be shipped to the Customers intended for Nigerian gas. We should watch out for fraud here. Technically, if our Laws were solid, we should have a force majuere clause that allows our gas to meet domestic needs before the obligation to external customers can be met. Laws as proposed will circumvent the need for penalties contractually.

It makes no sense to ship our gas out and then ship other gas in because the shipping alone will cost a lot of money. Also, if I remember correctly, the LNG ships will in-fact use 10%-25% of the gas that they are carrying as fuel for the shipping itself. Non of this makes sense, and it may be another ploy for some politicians to loot us some more. All gas supplies out of Nigeria should simply be contingent on meeting the local demands first. In the case that contracts cannot be met, then a force-mujuere should be declared and the contract clause that governs it should be employed.

The other question that comes to my mind is if we have any regasification Terminal. From my understanding, The LNG Terminals that e have are Liquefaction ones. If LNG will be imported into Nigeria, then we will have to have the facilities to turn it back from Liquid to gas safely. This is a very expensive project and another hole for foreign exchange loss. This makes me wonder who advises our politicians and how we allow the outside world to keep milking us dry. A regasification terminal will run at least $300M dollars if I remember reading about it correctly. Well, I guess that will bring $30M-$60M as the standard 10%-20% that our politicians charge companies to get contracts.

Nigerians need to be more active about asking questions and demanding answers. We need more details about this deal so we can shred it apart. I can bet that no gas will be imported into Nigeria, but foreign exchange will still be paid out. Since EFCC may not have any officers trained to understand this process, then the looting of Nigeria continues unabated.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by larez(m): 12:48pm On Jul 22, 2009
ikay88:

Hmmm, it's a big, potentially dangerous step but with proper management and control measures in place can work to serve us (the common folk) well.
Lets hope the FG takes this very seriously.

@ Kobojunkie
The plan was for German energy supply companies to help develop and expand the country's energy infrastructure. At the same time, German energy supply companies are to become involved in Nigerian natural gas production. The gas production was impaired during the years of militant bombings.

The russian deal was a venture to build refineries, pipelines and gas power stations in Nigeria.

None of these deals aimed at gas production which is currently handled by SPDC, Chevron & Co.

@ proudly9ja
Your right about Bonny but recently i've heard production there is much less than optimum. Maybe it would not be sufficient for the 6000MW.

@All
It should be noted that in the oil & gas industry worldwide it is rare and very expensive to have a well tapping both oil & gas from the same reservoir.
Hence when all the stations in Nigeria were setup years ago they were mostly designed for oil and the gas in the reservoir would be flared(burnt) off as oil was the more profit making commodity. The one major gas well i know of is at bonny.

This should have raised the then governments concerns on environmental pollution but we all know quick money was their motto.

Ikay88, you are totally wrong in the assertion that you made regarding the highlighted area. Basically all Nigerian wells produce associated gas with the Oil(Oyel) from them. This is what we see being flared. Secondly, there are mostly Oil Fields, and not simply wells. Individual wells on a production field may get tied together and the associated gases coming from them may be diverted, flared or reinjected into the well to keep them optimally pressurized.

When the gases are collected, they have to be transported through specialized pipes because of their corrosive nature to a plant. This plant then cleans up the associated gases and purifies them to be cooled and pressurized by another process which produces LPG or LNG.

LNG is the preferred method of shipping as the gas is condensed and pressurized to a higher density. When it reaches it's location it is then converted back into the natural gas form which gets transported through the gas networks of countries. An added note here is the fact that Nigeria is more of a Gas producing Country than and Oil producer as we have much more gas energy wise than Crude, BTU-BTU We should not be misinforming people about things that we are clueless of. Please do your homework first.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nezan(m): 5:29pm On Jul 22, 2009
Beline:

What can't we import in this country? it's sadden imagine that what we are about to import is one of the principal things that are causing problem in Niger Delta. Flaring gas or will I call it wasting gas, now we want to import that which we waste.

GOD PLEASE HELP US
funny
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by dfanthom(m): 6:59pm On Jul 22, 2009
are the goons still contemplating about importing gas to naija! may the sword of azrael pursue & cut them to size if they dare continue!!!
shocked        shocked            shocked            shocked                      shocked                                shocked                                shocked                                     shocked                                  shocked
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 22, 2009
@ Larez
Point humbly taken embarassed
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by kok(m): 8:34pm On Jul 22, 2009
Excuses for december 2009 target!
another means for looting!!
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by ow11(m): 9:53pm On Jul 22, 2009
This country of ours likes importation of goods and 'services'. Besides, the word INTERNATIONAL is a big deal to Nigerians. When would we import government officials?
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by chyk91(m): 7:15am On Jul 23, 2009
imagine, producers have now become the purchasers,God help us.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nezan(m): 2:38pm On Jul 23, 2009
chyk91:

imagine, producers have now become the purchasers,God help us.
cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by obamamate: 7:12pm On Jul 29, 2009
What type of gas are we importing from US and Argentina?
Does Argentina produce gas ?
How do you store the gas for further transportation to the power stations ?
Nigeria is one country where ingorance walks on 4 legs , yet we keeping attacking our visionless leaders.
Pls do a good research/analysis on technical issues before throwing it open.
Some companies are discussing the use of LPG to power the inland power plants. This will be very technically challenging due to poor road network and pipeline availability

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra State Pdp Primary Election Cancelled.rumor Andy Uba Given Mandate / Nigeria Launch Independence Logo / About Biafra, Chinua, Ojukwu And Co B4 N D Aftermaths!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.