Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,275 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) (15843 Views)

Uche Jombo Reacts To Divorce Rumour, Tells Bloggers "Leave My Family Alone" / Uche Jombo Reacts To Alleged Marital Crisis Rocking Her Home / Rita Dominic Joins Gender Equality Bill Protest - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by bebe2(f): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2016
shocked

I fear these senators,

So shame let theme reject that bill in this 2016?

Chao dis country get plenty issues ooo
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 16, 2016
This is just myopic and unfair!

Agreed, men and women may never quite be equal in the strict sense of the word,but voting against the bill is another issue entirely. Are they feeling intimidated by women and see this as an opportunity to restrict her?

Passing the bill into law would simply have put men and women on the same footing to chase their ambitions without any form of prejudice.

There should have been a referendum...sad

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by foriz4u(m): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2016
blame GEJ
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Tobium1(m): 11:28am On Mar 16, 2016
Feminist
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by ajealadick(m): 11:29am On Mar 16, 2016
Why are the women on Nairaland not speaking? Seems they have accepted the outcome of the bill.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 16, 2016
Ok.... Education yourself right? Continue...
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by dvee2: 11:31am On Mar 16, 2016
Similar bill was introduce during the seventh assembly under GEJ and the bill was voted down too. voted down by members of both party and by followers of both religion. Goggle is your friend, so hold on to your bigotry.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Chommieblaq(f): 11:31am On Mar 16, 2016
I believe Nigeria women have equal right in the society too, we have female ceo, female politicians, great women doing great in their chosen career, no career in Nigeria is forbidden to the women abi is there?
We have woman in the Senate, even if it's 1, n nobody's stopping them from contesting, a woman even contested for presidency abi?
So what equal right are we talking about?
What are the discrimination?
If we talk about empowering women it's a different thing entirely, someone should please enlighten me, probably I didn't understand.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by sweetgala(m): 11:33am On Mar 16, 2016
That bill was DOA because it did not address anything new the constitution has not made provisions for already. It even makes it clear in its summary that the bill is designed enforce the fundamental rights as stated i n chapter 4 of the constitution which prohibits discrimination based on sex or gender.

The lack of equality in daily experience of Nigerians and the disregard for human rights is not a constitutional flaw it is a social evil and no matter how many laws are written if the way we relate to each other and moral standards are not improved upon this issues would continue.

Whomever sponsored that bill needs to speak with lawyers and judicial representatives, human rights activists and the police to see how the laws we already have can be enforced to the benefit of women folk
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Maximus85(m): 11:35am On Mar 16, 2016
When we want to go against God's plan, we all suffer.
God made man first and then made the woman to SUPPORT him. We men can't do without our women, they are our lives but they can't be equal to us in anyway. They should just stop this madness and assume their God-given position.

We will all be at peace.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by jarkbauer: 11:37am On Mar 16, 2016
where can i download the bill
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Lucasbible: 11:38am On Mar 16, 2016
Most Nigerian Senators are less than human. They are clearly a disgrace to nature. Some women are more intelligent than some men, and can even afford to pay bride price and marry off some men. They want to continue to marry 4 and keep 100 concubines and if a woman is to do the same thing, she is called a prostitute. We are a disgrace to nature.

2 Likes

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by macof(m): 11:40am On Mar 16, 2016
Charly68:
What is gender equality self,stupid nonsense from Oyinbo imported into Africa system in the name of human rights..Men are never equal with women or else let women become the brea winners henceforth and see how comfortable they will become in playing this role.. It is an aberration to bring White culture into Africa society . God bless the national Assembly members

stop saying nonsense. yoruba society for one believes in Balance and Equality. ..and we must strive to maintain this Equality as best as possible

I don't just like this act of playing the victim Women do. ....it's hard being a man, most women wouldn't want to take up the roles of men
Equality should come by having different roles that compliment each other not a woman acting like she's a man. ...that's a distorted perception of Gender Equality and Natural Balance

Speaking of Career, I don't see gender discrimination against women in Nigeria. .. is there any Profession women aren't allowed to practice?

the bill is useless, efforts should be made to enforce our already established laws to promote gender equality

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by nairapolice: 11:50am On Mar 16, 2016
The senator must be dumb for proposing equality without first telling african wives to return their bride price
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by 9ja4show: 11:50am On Mar 16, 2016
Who seperated women from men? It's more of A secret separation and a bill won't do much.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by oostin: 11:55am On Mar 16, 2016
In a country where people still hold on to negative traditional values it is difficult for people to desire progress even when it hits them in the face.

The issue of bride price has been abolished ib more modern societies but we still uphold such traditions even when it is clear that it demeans the women folk.

We claim that we want to be a developed nation but we are clearly not ready to make the necessary sacrifice that development requires.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Moz22: 12:06pm On Mar 16, 2016
tidal:
Lol@Education your self.
I thought I saw that alone..well I guess its auto spell
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Moz22: 12:08pm On Mar 16, 2016
jarkbauer:
where can i download the bill
tooexclusive.com or notjustok.com
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by ojuolu(m): 12:21pm On Mar 16, 2016
Chommieblaq:
I believe Nigeria women have equal right in the society too, we have female ceo, female politicians, great women doing great in their chosen career, no career in Nigeria is forbidden to the women abi is there?
We have woman in the Senate, even if it's 1, n nobody's stopping them from contesting, a woman even contested for presidency abi?
So what equal right are we talking about?
What are the discrimination?
If we talk about empowering women it's a different thing entirely, someone should please enlighten me, probably I didn't understand.
The bill is question goes beyond these things mentioned above. The truth is Religion and culture are good but the world is evolving. You can imagine cultural practices borne out of limited information, technology and economic resources realities still thriving in the 21st centuries or wrong selfish interpretation of the holy books by religion bigots to satisfy their personal egotistic tendencies still being observed in ignorance or in other bid to maintain the status.
Let me paint a scenario. A man marries a woman, the woman ideally (as it is now) the man general manager, chief Accountant, Minister for Home affairs, Publicity director, Welfare officer, cook, laundry man, baby factory, sex mate, child care giver etc. While performing all these role as spelt out by culture and religion, the man is free to earn salary and invest in property in his name but the woman cannot in most cases because she does not have the economic power to do so. The man passes on, the property left behind become a source of tussle between the woman and the man family simply because she is a woman. And you get hear statement like"our son/brother/uncle/ laboured for those things" without a recourse to the co-creator of such wealth- the wife. The woman and her children suddenly become homeless, beggars and no live at the mercy of the man's relatives. Woe betide the woman if her children, their children, happen to be female all through. Please i am not saying these traditional roles should be neglected or abandoned by women, no. They have better capacity to do much more. Let the society recognizes this capacity and allow an average woman to choose her path given the same opportunities that is available to the male counterpart
How many women have economic power and rights compare to their male counterpart? I have seen cases where a man did not allow his woman to work, or do anything meaningful because she is a woman, even when she is more trained and more qualified than the husband.
Society will thrive and develop when it ensure gender equality and balance in the economic power and opportunities that are available to both sexes.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Ifebazz(m): 12:38pm On Mar 16, 2016
She said there are 8 female members of the Senate, my question is, was any woman impeded from running or contesting? If yes, maybe she has a say, if not she should sit her fat ass down. Women get pampered every where. At home, work, Church mosque, school, just name it. What is this extraordinary privilege they seek? Do women want to start marrying men, pay groom price, become bread winners, join more in the military, deep sea diving, do menial jobs, security posts, Rivers State politics, or taxi drivers?
I have nothing against women running affairs any where, but it should be based on merit and not because you have breasts on your chest. Most applicants can testify that men stand less chance of getting a job against ladies in corporate firms and banking sector especially.
Nigeria lawyers are about 70% women, have the men complained? I visited the probate court at Asaba Delta state, guess what? The workforce there is likely 90% women and about 30% of the 90% of the women were pregnant! So much for efficiency.
No misgivings there, but this gender equality thing is same as ethics and religious bias. A woman should be worth her salt to run affairs if not, she should remain a woman. There so many men without jobs out there all because ladies who 'know' how to get their way around are loitering as square pegs in round holes.
Many incompetent, lazy, and inefficient women flood the government parastatals. Not saying there are no smart women, efficient and all that, but NOBODY is impeding women from basic human rights. It can only be by choice.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 16, 2016
JewelRegi:
When u educate a woman u educate a nation
shut up. U lie. But still i dont believe they threw something as important and sophisticated as that away. I feel teary
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 16, 2016
All these semi-literate thespians and their appeal to emotion will not change the reality of things. I challenge anybody to provide proof that the contents of this "new bill" isnt already contained in the Nigerian constitution. What exactly are Nigeri woman being deprived of, nobody has been able to state.

You people need to shut up and think before you talk.

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 16, 2016
You really do not need the senate's approval to show how much impact you can make in the society. No one was born with chains. Let's not forget that the senators who rejected the bill were also born by women whose minds became crippled by deceitful traditions passed down from their parents. When a male child watches his mother tell his sisters that it is only marriage and chid rearing that makes the worth of a female and not her impact in the society or accomplishments,how will you expect his judgement to turn out? Traditions were not created by spirits but humans and so can be changed as some have over the years because they were meaningless and counter productive. We've taking a huge step by ensuring that both boys and girls go to school. There is no law that stops a female from acquiring anything she has worked hard for. Mothers have a huge role to play. Stop crippling your daughers with backward mentality and train and discipline your male and female children equally. Guide but also allow them pursue their dreams. Your western counterparts tried that, it worked for them and that is why despite all the critisms you spew, you still dream of leaving africa to that kind of environment.You cannot fight for what you already have. USE IT!
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 16, 2016
Oliviaarims:
This is just myopic and unfair!

Agreed, men and women may never quite be equal in the strict sense of the word,but voting against the bill is another issue entirely. Are they feeling intimidated by women and see this as an opportunity to restrict her?

Passing the bill into law would simply have put men and women on the same footing to chase their ambitions without any form of prejudice.

There should have been a referendum...sad

Educate yourself first before making judgement. Even professional judges hear from all sides concerned before judging. There is nothing in this bill that is not already contained nshrined in the constitution. Dont be misled by charlatans.

That aside, there are customs and traditions that the law has no business tampering with insofar as there's no change criminality involved. The uche Jombo jumping about like a rabbit, didn't they pay bride price on her?

2 Likes

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Ifebazz(m): 12:58pm On Mar 16, 2016
ojuolu:

The bill is question goes beyond these things mentioned above. The truth is Religion and culture are good but the world is evolving. You can imagine cultural practices borne out of limited information, technology and economic resources realities still thriving in the 21st centuries or wrong selfish interpretation of the holy books by religion bigots to satisfy their personal egotistic tendencies still being observed in ignorance or in other bid to maintain the status.
Let me paint a scenario. A man marries a woman, the woman ideally (as it is now) the man general manager, chief Accountant, Minister for Home affairs, Publicity director, Welfare officer, cook, laundry man, baby factory, sex mate, child care giver etc. While performing all these role as spelt out by culture and religion, the man is free to earn salary and invest in property in his name but the woman cannot in most cases because she does not have the economic power to do so. The man passes on, the property left behind become a source of tussle between the woman and the man family simply because she is a woman. And you get hear statement like"our son/brother/uncle/ laboured for those things" without a recourse to the co-creator of such wealth- the wife. The woman and her children suddenly become homeless, beggars and no live at the mercy of the man's relatives. Woe betide the woman if her children, their children, happen to be female all through. Please i am not saying these traditional roles should be neglected or abandoned by women, no. They have better capacity to do much more. Let the society recognizes this capacity and allow an average woman to choose her path given the same opportunities that is available to the male counterpart
How many women have economic power and rights compare to their male counterpart? I have seen cases where a man did not allow his woman to work, or do anything meaningful because she is a woman, even when she is more trained and more qualified than the husband.
Society will thrive and develop when it ensure gender equality and balance in the economic power and opportunities that are available to both sexes.
Dudes talking about world evolving and all that cock & bull story. Are these same women not the ones overly bothered that they are not married yet at settings age? Or have the so called evolutionary trend made women to marry men or change their sexual orientation? Nature has made it this way, except we don't have issues with the likes of Catelyn Jenna. Now culture with respect to inheritance. What does the constitution say about that and will? Most cultures recognises the offspring of the couple as heir apparent, not even the brothers or something. Now when a certain dubious family connived to perpetuate evil does not make it a norm. A man's property should be for the children, not even the wife as the man together with the wife works for the children's welfare. So unless the children are still minors, any wife fighting for inheritance is not even a good mother. The children know that they are supposed to take care of their mother.
Yes some gruesome acts by culture still abounds, so also so stupid western culture where a woman sends her husband out of his own home abound. And who said their culture is better than ours with their absolutely lax morals?

1 Like

Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Wazhay: 12:59pm On Mar 16, 2016
Education urself I don't understand but good voice though...I stand with u on this my lovely sis.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Ifebazz(m): 1:02pm On Mar 16, 2016
Timbuktou:
All these semi-literate thespians and their appeal to emotion will not change the reality of things. I challenge anybody to provide proof that the contents of this "new bill" isnt already contained in the Nigerian constitution. What exactly are Nigeri woman being deprived of, nobody has been able to state.

You people need to shut up and think before you talk.
That's my line of thought actually. Is there any anti Woman laws in Nigeria?
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by JewelRegi(f): 1:10pm On Mar 16, 2016
wissed:
shut up. U lie. But still i dont believe they threw something as important and sophisticated as that away. I feel teary

Hahhahahhahahhahahhahaaa
Are u confused?
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Ifebazz(m): 1:10pm On Mar 16, 2016
So many dumb women actually showing how dumb they are by their so called crave for women's equality right. All so dumb right now.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Mar 16, 2016
JewelRegi:

Hahhahahhahahhahahhahaaa
Are u confused?
nope. How is it true that the education OF A woman is an education OF A nation Cos i know some crazy women
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by tonquendo4u(m): 1:13pm On Mar 16, 2016
Gender equality cannot b 100% achieved anywhere in d world.thats how nature made it.
Re: Uche Jombo Reacts To Senators Vote Against Gender Equality Bill (Snapshots) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 16, 2016
Ifebazz:

That's my line of thought actually. Is there any anti Woman laws in Nigeria?

Dont mind them. They cry as if they're the only ones who feel pain and discomfort. We have raised a generation of entitled women. Just yesterday, I heard they gt free nomination froms to contest in elections (i dont know how true o, but i wouldnt but surprised if it were so). There is a natural balance in life men get some privileges women get others. The problem problem problem women are being greedy and want what men get without sharing theirs grin That's slavery 101. All these mumu boys forming civilised na them I pity, by the time e clear for their eye e go dey too late.

The easiest test of the relevance of this bill is to compare yourself with any female contemporary of yours and see if you have any official advantage over because you're male.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Crystabel Ekeh Posing For A Shoot / Funke Adesiyan: If You Dm Me To Beg For Money I Will Curse You / Kehinde Bankole In Green Native Attire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.