Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,177 members, 7,849,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:30 AM

Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation (735 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili Reacts To Audu Maikori's Arrest / Photos Of The Herdsmen That Attacked Nimbo, Enugu Community / Saraki Senior And Junior Screen Audu Ogbeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation by teemy(m): 9:02am On Mar 16, 2016
This exerp is from my brother who is a farmer.

Help Stop The Impending Crisis
Clashes between livestock herdsmen and crop farmers isn't something new, but unless something is done to put an end or check to the frequency of these clashes it will fester to become a big menace like boko-haram.

in the city when people think of cattle, they think of meat on the tables, while for us farmers we think of the destruction, losses these animal cause; months of hard labour become food in their bellies within a few hours.

i pray God grants you the fortitude to deliver a change that will save lives and property. to save lives; because these is the dilema ariable crop farmers face with herdsmen who are quick to draw their knives, cutlasses and sometimes guns.

Please forgive my presumptiousness, but not believing in just pointing out problems, hence i would very much like to profer some ideas which i believe will help allieviate the situation:

1. Registration: Drivers are lienced; so also are veterinary professionals, its time to register our herdsmen. This step will help to better organise them, like our voter and sim card registration, the registration will cover their bio-data. Their registration should be produced by them to livestock patrol officials.

2. Livestock Patrol Officials: This officials should be charged with registration, fines, veterinary health extension, collation of damage reports, confistication of animals etc. Also they should have access to the national herdsmen registration data-base so as to track rogue herdsmen.

3. Establishment Of Grazing Pasture Land: With the onset of dry season and diminished natural pasture, rogue herdsmen turn to farmland to feed their animals. Pasture land could be established with collaboration between the government and agricultural institutions in each local government area to provide socure during these lean months, for which herdsmen might have to pay stipends. Also production of grasses might be contracted out to farmers.

4. Provision of Agro-allied By-products: like the corn-bran, wheat-offal, rice-bran, molasses, brewers dry grains at subsidized rate to husband-men.

5. Branding: Making it compulsary for herdsmen to have their animals branded for each identification.

6. Import Tax: increasing the import tax on livestock coming from accross the borders to give our herdsmen a competitive edge.

I am writing with hope in my heart that you would help the plight of us farmers and stop the impending crisis. Congrangratulation on the step of importing hybrid grasses. May God grant you help and favour in your endeavors.
Re: Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation by xplicite(m): 9:02am On Mar 16, 2016
K
Re: Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation by teemy(m): 9:06am On Mar 16, 2016
I would also like to add that the data should include whom their employers are.
Re: Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 16, 2016
This ministry has been less effective under this administration and we are talk of diversifying our economy
Re: Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation by ckmayoca: 10:19am On Mar 16, 2016
All these will break out the war that has been hidden.
Asking fulani to pay tax? Asking animal control to seize fulani's herds?
Lol.. the solution shld be for them to stay in thier individual state and graze the grass land thier period.
Re: Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation by teemy(m): 10:49am On Mar 16, 2016
ckmayoca:
All these will break out the war that has been hidden.
Asking fulani to pay tax? Asking animal control to seize fulani's herds?
Lol.. the solution shld be for them to stay in thier individual state and graze the grass land thier period.
lolz, i sense that was part of why hybrid grass was imported for planting to feed their localized cattle. This should stem short the normadic movement. You have a good point.
Re: Open Letter To Audu Ogbeh Minister Of Agric On Handling The Herdsmen Situation by Whois(m): 1:57pm On Mar 12, 2018
teemy:
I would also like to add that the data should include whom their employers are.

You're right

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Resign As Nigeria President / Wow, See This Awesome And Amazing Drone Video Of Victoria Island Lagos. / Igbinedion Showsoff His Dancingskills At Cherry Igbinedion's Birthdaybash(video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.