Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now (1033 Views)

Brass LGA Now Trending In Twitter: See What People Are Saying (snapshot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by gabbytabby: 10:20am On Mar 16, 2016
We the tenants of Asipa Ayobo need Ikeja disco to install prepaid meters and to stop the fraud and daylight robbery with their arbitrary billing.

Feel free to include your area

3 Likes

Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by Chekitaut: 11:13am On Mar 16, 2016
If prepaid meter is installed, NEPA, as I still nlknow them to be will be serious. because they still exploit Nigerians dey feel more relax.
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by heroesoff8: 3:01pm On Mar 17, 2016
Sister, I can see you very well knowledgeable with property matters as a long time experienced property owner.
Please I need your advice, hubby and I have a property 2 units of 3 bedroom flat in lekki/Ajah axis. We have 2 tenants occupying the flats while we stay at the front duplex. Now these two tenants are ok except for one that didn't pay his rent/service charge on time(3months overdue after several reminders).
Now we increased the rent and communicated same to both tenants via our lawyer as we wanted to avoid dealing directly with them. The lawyer wrote them on the new rent which would be effective in June. My concern is that the tenants have not replied the lawyer even after reminders. We reached to the lawyer to find out update and she said so long as they have communicated and sent subsequent reminders intimating tenants that their silence meant acceptance hence no need to worry again!
In my mind, I feel that is not safe enough as quit notice with rent increase ought to have accompanied the rent increase especially with the attitude of the other defaulting tenant.
What is your take on this? Should we continue to assume that the tenant had accepted the new rent and wait till renewal or issue quit notice immediately so that when the time comes we will not lose much time if the tenant does not agree with new rate?
Note: we rented like 200k cheaper that prevailing rate in thanks to God being our 1st property. Now property has even sky rocketed yet the new rent is still 200-300k cheaper based on what we are charging.
I will appreciate your advice greatly!
Thanks
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by gabbytabby: 10:12am On Mar 19, 2016
@heroesoff8

As discussed the law allows maximum 25 percent over a 3 year period such that provided you keep within this there is no issue. As you say the rent is also below market rent.

It is for them to approach you if they want to negotiate the new rent and for you to either agree or provide explanation.

On the issue of quit notice if you want to go down that route make it clear that it is applicable where tenants are not able to renew their rental agreement based on the increased rent.
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by gabbytabby: 9:49pm On Mar 21, 2016
Chekitaut:
If prepaid meter is installed, NEPA, as I still nlknow them to be will be serious. because they still exploit Nigerians dey feel more relax.

If prepaid is installed ikeja disco will actually get the money in their account and not all this their tout or staff collecting 1-2k from people who are not paying their bill but still continuing to use light.

No light for the whole of February and today we received normal bill for services not rendered. I so detest this fraud and being in a position of collecting this for a rouge agency.
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by Sibrah: 10:44pm On Mar 21, 2016
The DISCOs are criminally minded. Prepaid anyday anytime. Imagine MTN, Multichoice, Cinemas, Toll gates all using estimated billing.
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by peaceland(m): 7:59pm On Mar 24, 2016
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by gabbytabby: 1:26pm On May 22, 2016
EFCC need to investigate this discos. It really is a national disgrace we are averaging 3-5 hours of light in 48 hours and they send arbitrary bill of want 21k monthly.

I was speaking to the marketer for my area. He tried to justify by saying the transformer for the area has a meter and this is what they share out I then asked him wr did not have light not even a flicker for 4 weeks and niggaman still brought disco arbitrary bill of 21k is the meter charged by the air ee breath or you guys are confirmed robbers he became lost for words.

People that are high users of electricity do not have account and their staff are collecting egunje all over. Meter all round with 200k punitive fine for those who dteal light will see that everyone gets an account as

1) all the good samaritans get to pay for the light they are dashing that does not belong to them.
2) reduce wastages as people have incentives to put off light that they are not using.
3) most would be motivated to buy and use low energy bulbs meaning more light for everyone.
4) the 50-200k fine that we have come to know our fsshola for will keep the freeloaders on a straight and narrow path.

1 Like

Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by gabbytabby: 10:52am On Jun 14, 2016
While I do not want to jinx it, I believe we should seek to encourage. The last week has seen a marked improvement in our light sothay I see light today begin they ask again? instead of my usual rush around and thank God them remember us hiss under my breath.

ikeja disco I salute.
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by chriskosherbal(m): 10:55am On Jun 14, 2016
PHCN should address that complain.
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by idupaul: 11:02am On Jun 14, 2016
heroesoff8:
Sister, I can see you very well knowledgeable with property matters as a long time experienced property owner.
Please I need your advice, hubby and I have a property 2 units of 3 bedroom flat in lekki/Ajah axis. We have 2 tenants occupying the flats while we stay at the front duplex. Now these two tenants are ok except for one that didn't pay his rent/service charge on time(3months overdue after several reminders).
Now we increased the rent and communicated same to both tenants via our lawyer as we wanted to avoid dealing directly with them. The lawyer wrote them on the new rent which would be effective in June. My concern is that the tenants have not replied the lawyer even after reminders. We reached to the lawyer to find out update and she said so long as they have communicated and sent subsequent reminders intimating tenants that their silence meant acceptance hence no need to worry again!
In my mind, I feel that is not safe enough as quit notice with rent increase ought to have accompanied the rent increase especially with the attitude of the other defaulting tenant.
What is your take on this? Should we continue to assume that the tenant had accepted the new rent and wait till renewal or issue quit notice immediately so that when the time comes we will not lose much time if the tenant does not agree with new rate?
Note: we rented like 200k cheaper that prevailing rate in thanks to God being our 1st property. Now property has even sky rocketed yet the new rent is still 200-300k cheaper based on what we are charging.
Thanks

What plausible reason do you and husband have to even increase rent during a recession . Did you just renovate the place or is there some cost from the past when you built that has increased ..Property rental aisle a long term investment and not short term one ..
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by lastpage: 12:43am On Sep 26, 2016
idupaul:

What plausible reason do you and husband have to even increase rent during a recession . Did you just renovate the place or is there some cost from the past when you built that has increased ..Property rental aisle a long term investment and not short term one ..

*Would you ask this same question from Dangotte and other Cement sellers whose price have increased from an average of #1,300 to #2,300 DURING THIS SAME RECESSION??
*Would you ask the same question of Roofing sheets/tiles, Block sellers, Nail sellers, Paint sellers, Electric cable sellers, e.t.c whose prices have more than doubled DURING THIS SAME RECESSION?
I dont want to mention foodstuffs and other basic necessities of life whose price have gone through the roof.... in this same recession.

If you own a shop, you certainly live off the profits of your wares. That is your investment.

Just like you will expect your profit (from your business) to cater for your expenses, this home owner also runs their property as a business and expect it to pay their bills.
Now, if a bag of Rice is sold for #15,000 a few weeks back and their profit from their business can but six bags in one year (#90,000,..easy example) and you could also buy five bags from your own "shop business",..... assuming no income from many other source, now that price of Rice has risen to #20,000, you can not live on the same level of profit because it can only buy four and half bags (but your family needs six bags to survive yearly)

What do you or would you do?
I am sure you will simply raise the price of your own goods as well..... as we have noticed in the general increase in price of all products.

So, if you the "Shop owner" feels justified to increase the price of your products (as your investment designed to meet your survival needs), why do you speak with so much consternation at the Landlord doing the same, on their own investment, to meet their own financial needs?

What l am insinuating is that in a free-market economy like Nigeria (where there are no "Price Controls", everyone has the right to increase the price of whatever they sell, in line with the general increase in price of what they buy, irrespective of what the "monetary income" is used to buy (for food, for building, for vehicle, for clothes, e.t.c)

if you dont want your Landlord to increase your rent, then you should also be prepared to let the price he pays for goods he buys in your shop (with his Rental income) ...to remain stagnant.

Remember, you buy from money-made from what you sell.... and you sell based on what you buy.... at any point-in-time.
Source the Geese, Source the Gander ..... is a very fair statement, in my own opinion.

Cheers.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by lastpage: 12:54am On Sep 26, 2016
heroesoff8:
Now we increased the rent and communicated same to both tenants via our lawyer as we wanted to avoid dealing directly with them. The lawyer wrote them on the new rent which would be effective in June. My concern is that the tenants have not replied the lawyer even after reminders. [/b]We reached to the lawyer to find out update and she said so long as they have communicated and sent subsequent reminders intimating tenants that their silence meant acceptance hence no need to worry again!
[b]What is your take on this? Should we continue to assume that the tenant had accepted the new rent and wait till renewal or issue quit notice immediately so that when the time comes we will not lose much time if the tenant does not agree with new rate?

Thanks

I think your Lawyer should have done the needful, immediately.
Their non-acknowledgement of your letter (rent increase) is an indication that they not only refuse to accept but they do not even want to entertain such nor open-up a channel of negotiation/reduction
It is also insulting (IMO) not to acknowledge a letter written to you
(even if just to say l received your letter dated x//y/2016 and l am still considering the contents there-in).

While "Silence" is generally construed to mean "Consent", this is a "contractual matter" and views need to be stated expressly.
Putting all these together, l will suggest that you immediately issue them with quit notices (in line with Rent Regulations) and let them be the one to now react...either by saying they agree to the rent increase or be prepared to vacate the premises.

The above is a cold, calculated landlord's perspective. I am sure Tenants will have a different perspective to the matter as we all try to serve our best interest but then, FAIRNESS TO ALL should be the watchword.

In the present situation of staggering inflation, l cannot fault anyone who increases rent/price of whatever is their investment..... unless ofcourse, the Govt steps-in to FREEZE ALL PRICES.

Lastpage!
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by idupaul: 12:56am On Sep 26, 2016
lastpage:

*Would you ask this same question from Dangotte and other Cement sellers whose price have increased from an average of #1,300 to #2,300 DURING THIS SAME RECESSION??
*Would you ask the same question of Roofing sheets/tiles, Block sellers, Nail sellers, Paint sellers, Electric cable sellers, e.t.c whose prices have more than doubled DURING THIS SAME RECESSION?
I dont want to mention foodstuffs and other basic necessities of life whose price have gone through the roof.... in this same recession.

If you own a shop, you certainly live off the profits of your wares. That is your investment.

Just like you will expect your profit (from your business) to cater for your expenses, this home owner also runs their property as a business and expect it to pay their bills.
Now, if a bag of Rice is sold for #15,000 a few weeks back and their profit from their business can but six bags in one year (#90,000,..easy example) and you could also buy five bags from your own "shop business",..... assuming no income from many other source, now that price of Rice has risen to #20,000, you can not live on the same level of profit because it can only buy four and half bags (but your family needs six bags to survive yearly)

What do you or would you do?
I am sure you will simply raise the price of your own goods as well..... as we have noticed in the general increase in price of all products.

So, if you the "Shop owner" feels justified to increase the price of your products (as your investment designed to meet your survival needs), why do you speak with so much consternation at the Landlord doing the same, on their own investment, to meet their own financial needs?

What l am insinuating is that in a free-market economy like Nigeria (where there are no "Price Controls", everyone has the right to increase the price of whatever they sell, in line with the general increase in price of what they buy, irrespective of what the "monetary income" is used to buy (for food, for building, for vehicle, for clothes, e.t.c)

if you dont want your Landlord to increase your rent, then you should also be prepared to let the price he pays for goods he buys in your shop (with his Rental income) ...to remain stagnant.

Remember, you buy from money-made from what you sell.... and you sell based on what you buy.... at any point-in-time.
Source the Geese, Source the Gander ..... is a very fair statement, in my own opinion.

Cheers.

Lastpage!

You write very well but I will still stand my ground that old Landlords should be the last in the value system..I run a service business and because of the recession is have had to drop prices by 50 percent just so we can keep some of our customers because I know if I do most if not all my customers will back dowm
Re: Hon Fashola - All We Are Saying Prepaid Right Now by lastpage: 1:13am On Sep 26, 2016
idupaul:

You write very well but I will still stand my ground that old Landlords should be the last in the value system..I run a service business and because of the recession is have had to drop prices by 50 percent just so we can keep some of our customers because I know if I do most if not all my customers will back dowm

Thanks for your compliment.

YOU are a kind and considerate person..... which is generally not the norm in our society otherwise, we would have been better than this and wont see all these crazy prices increases we all have to pay for!

But l have done my analysis based on "Demand Vs Supply vis-a-vis Selling Price".
That is why l called it a 'cold and calculated' point of view........ No emotions. undecided

The Landlord is also a part of the consumer network and he is not the 'last person' to pay a higher price for his Rice, Garri, Electricity (even Govt dey increase price in this recession! angry ), Clothing, School fees, e.t.c
While should he/she then be the 'last person' to increase his price ........in the same system?

While l understand the fact that the "House is not just built"..... we need to look at it from the perspective of "current purchasing power" of anyone's source of income.
For some, Property is their only "Business" (source of income/living)!
For some, it is spare-parts, for others it is Electronic Shop, for others it is "Food Stuff Shop" but one thing is common to all: They all live-off (buy their needs) from whatever INCOME their business provides

Your price reduction, from what you stated, is a "Volume-Sales strategy"!
I am sure you would have loved to marginally increase the price or at least "stagnate it", rather than suffer an possible loss (I said "possible" because l suspect your "volume-sales" will compensate for the price drop.
I will love buy one, get one free. grin )

Not withstanding all the above, l think we need more of people like you....rational and sympathetic.

Lastpage!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Where Is The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC)?. / Interesting Times: Danladi Umar’s EFCC Clearance / When Will Buhari Look Into APC Campaign Funds And Rivers State Petition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.