Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,972 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! - Pets (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! (122030 Views)

Snap and upload your pet here [season 1] / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple / Dog Lovers In Nigeria: Your Very Own Dog Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 9:23am On Nov 01, 2013
chucky234: You can get a pedigree GSD for as low as 45k depending on whom you are buying from,there are dog owners out with pedigree dogs that sell at low price just to cover for feeding and upkeep of the dogs.
A brigadier general at Ojo barracks sold his pups for just 40k,both parents of the pups were imported.
Even in Germany GSD are not expensive as rotties, its only breeders that sell dog at high prices,dog owners can decide to sell any price they deem fit.
I personally will any amount to get caucasian,boerboel,bullmastiff,cane corso,presa, st. Bernard but cant spend more than 65k on a GSD as long as the pups were birthed here in Naija.
I bought my pure breed caucasian from an army officer in Ojo barracks for just 80k and at 7 months its bigger than the one a friend bougth almost same time from a breeder in otta for 180k.

Thanks sir.
This man arguing probably doesn't know much about GSDs.
Found out he's still trying to import dogs.
You just told him the truth..GSD for #120k? hilarious

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by Dogsworld(f): 11:39am On Nov 01, 2013
[size=14pt]Dog Show Today![/size]

The Boerboel Dog Breeders Association of Nigeria (BDBAN) is hosting a Nigerian Boerboel Appraisal and National Show starting TODAY and ending on the 3rd November 2013.

Venue: Tunwase Schools, 22-27 akinola cole crescent, Off Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja, LAGOS, starting at 10am each day and closing at 4pm. The first 2 days 1st and 2nd November will be for the appraisals while Sunday, 3rd November will be for the Nigerian National Boerboel Show.

The event is open to all Boerboel owners, breeders and fanciers. Interested members of the public are also welcome.

Appraisal fees per dog for BDBAN members is N5,000 per dog and N15,000 per dog for Non BDBAN members.
A gate fee of N5, 000 is payable at the gate for fanciers of the breed who would like to come and have a look and feel of what an appraisal entails. Entry is free for those that come without a dog.

234-8024007733
info@bdban.ng

Thanks

Muffy
Join us here: www.nairaland.com/1043675/dog-lovers-nigeria-very-own
www.facebook.com/.com
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by jolaogun(m): 10:13pm On Nov 07, 2013
Hello Friends. This is my 1st time here and I'm really impressed. I'd like to have information on how to import dogs frm South Africa. I've been dealt with by my so-called Dog Guys in my area
, ranging frm d sales of what i now call "local dogs" to crazy bills 4 vaccinations and all. Pls need deliverance frm d hands of ds opportunists.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:48pm On Nov 07, 2013
jolaogun: Hello Friends. This is my 1st time here and I'm really impressed. I'd like to have information on how to import dogs frm South Africa. I've been dealt with by my so-called Dog Guys in my area
, ranging frm d sales of what i now call "local dogs" to crazy bills 4 vaccinations and all. Pls need deliverance frm d hands of ds opportunists.

never buy dogs from a guy that has just a dog..if he is a backyard breeder, na bingo you go get.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 7:53pm On Nov 12, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

never buy dogs from a guy that has just a dog..if he is a backyard breeder, na bingo you go get.
You dont have to be a breeder to own pedigree dog(s).

2 Likes

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:42am On Nov 13, 2013
chucky234: You dont have to be a breeder to own pedigree dog(s).

A guy that has just one dog is most likely to produce mutts
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 12:53pm On Nov 13, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

A guy that has just one dog is most likely to produce mutts
says who?
If you have a pedigree female dog on heat all you need do is look for someone with pedigree male to mate your biitch,that guarantee good pups at the end of the day.

3 Likes

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 11:03pm On Nov 13, 2013
chucky234: says who?
If you have a pedigree female dog on heat all you need do is look for someone with pedigree male to mate your biitch,that guarantee good pups at the end of the day.

Pls stop arguing with him
Its pointless. He has no idea

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 11:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
dapsondou:

Thank you jare.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by oluomoadebayo: 12:29am On Nov 14, 2013
chucky234: Thank you jare.

He is supposed to be asking questions instead of claiming to know what he is saying. Knowledge is power, please ask instead.

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 6:32am On Nov 14, 2013
oluomoadebayo:

He is supposed to be asking questions instead of claiming to know what he is saying. Knowledge is power, please ask instead.
That is exactly what I expected from him,his ego and ITK attitude will not let him realise that.

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 9:08am On Nov 14, 2013
chucky234: That is exactly what I expected from him,his ego and ITK attitude will not let him realise that.

If you check previous posts you'll see how he's been arguing with me. I later learnt he doesn't even have a dog, he's just planning to get one.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 9:56am On Nov 14, 2013
dapsondou:

If you check previous posts you'll see how he's been arguing with me. I later learnt he doesn't even have a dog, he's just planning to get one.
lol....
He will end up getting a well feed basenji for a mastiff.

3 Likes

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by oluomoadebayo: 10:06am On Nov 14, 2013
chucky234: lol....
He will end up getting a well feed basenji for a mastiff.

We can all help him to get his desired dog but he needs to ask. We are all here to share knowledge. I think he is about to buy GSD from abroad.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 12:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
oluomoadebayo:

We can all help him to get his desired dog but he needs to ask. We are all here to share knowledge. I think he is about to buy GSD from abroad.
He can get good pedigree GSD in Lagos or Jos at reasonable price,there is no point importing a GSD from Germany.

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
chucky234: says who?

Please underline the key word MOST LIKELY the probability is higher,the risks are more. I never said it was impossible, but I'll rather buy from you if I know you own at least 4 dogs than one bitch.

About the GSDs that you bought a dog for 700k doesn't guarrantee pedigree but buying from a breeder with reputation helps reduce that risk and breeders with reputation sell dogs a tad bit more expensive than backyard breeders. But telling me a pedigree gsd is 40k? Abeg simple show me where the dogs are I will gladly buy. Simple
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
dapsondou:

Lol I have 2 rotweillers and a Belgian Malinois and I am not a breeder. I have owned dogs since I was a toddler. I once bought a 'supposed' gsd for 40k and I was grossly disappointed. I had to sell d dog. Asides from my Belgian Malinois I haven't seen a malinois in Nigeria

I want to buy a pedigree gsd too,if you check my posts you'll see the ppic I posted of a friends Gsd the two dogs. The female is pregnant
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:14pm On Nov 14, 2013
oluomoadebayo:

Well Bro...if I had two pedigree dogs(male and female) and chuks had one (a female), if both littered who would you rather buy from.

Remember that my female might have been impregnated by a low quality dog that is not mine.

I have no doubt some of you are nice breeders but most dogs bred in Nigeria is crap!!!!
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Please underline the key word MOST LIKELY the probability is higher,the risks are more. I never said it was impossible, but I'll rather buy from you if I know you own at least 4 dogs than one bitch.

About the GSDs that you bought a dog for 700k doesn't guarrantee pedigree but buying from a breeder with reputation helps reduce that risk and breeders with reputation sell dogs a tad bit more expensive than backyard breeders. But telling me a pedigree gsd is 40k? Abeg simple show me where the dogs are I will gladly buy. Simple
There is no such thing as reputable breeder,having good pups is making sure you mate your biitch with the right stud,you dont need to own flock of dogs to achieve.
I belong to many dog groups including the Boerboel association and I can tell you here that many assumed reputable breeders have chun out more bad pups than ordinary dog owners, we have treated such cases on dog lovers community on several occassions.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by oluomoadebayo: 2:21pm On Nov 14, 2013
GeneralShepherd:
Well Bro...if I had two pedigree dogs(male and female) and chuks had one (a female), if both littered who would you rather buy from.

Remember that my female might have been impregnated by a low quality dog that is not mine.

I have no doubt some of you are nice breeders but most dogs bred in Nigeria is crap!!!!

You own a Belgian Malinois in Nigeria?
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
oluomoadebayo:

You own a Belgian Malinois in Nigeria?
Am I mincing words!?
Or are you going to tell me I don't know wat A Malinois is
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
chucky234: There is no such thing as reputable breeder,having good pups is making sure you mate your biitch with the right stud,you dont need to own flock of dogs to achieve.
I belong to many dog groups including the Boerboel association and I can tell you here that many assumed reputable breeders have chun out more bad pups than ordinary dog owners, we have treated such cases on dog lovers community on several occassions.

Seems we are having discrepancies in our definition of reputable!

Not every breeder is reputable infact most Nigerian breeders don't even know how to be reputable even if they wanted to. Do you know you are supposed to test the genetics of dogs before breeding? Do you know that not every pedigree dog is supposed to be bred? Eg if the dog shows evidence of aggressions? Do you also that a dog that you can't trace the geneology to 7 generations back is technically not a pedigree?

So this the definition of reputable

1.reputable - having a good reputation; "a reputable business"; "a reputable scientist"; "a reputable wine"
honourable, honorable - worthy of being honored; entitled to honor and respect; "an honorable man"; "led an honorable life"; "honorable service to his country"
respectable - characterized by socially or conventionally acceptable morals; "a respectable woman"
disreputable - lacking respectability in character or behavior or appearance

A breeder that has bred quality dogs over many years with people that can firmly and positively attest to the breeders commitment to quality dogs,is what I refer to as a reputable breeder. Saying there is nothing like a reputable breeder is laughable!! That means there's nothing a reputable scientist?

And please chuks my brother link to the pedigree pupp that goes for 40k I want to buy. Thanks
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 3:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Seems we are having discrepancies in our definition of reputable!

Not every breeder is reputable infact most Nigerian breeders don't even know how to be reputable even if they wanted to. Do you know you are supposed to test the genetics of dogs before breeding? Do you know that not every pedigree dog is supposed to be bred? Eg if the dog shows evidence of aggressions? Do you also that a dog that you can't trace the geneology to 7 generations back is technically not a pedigree?

So this the definition of reputable

1.reputable - having a good reputation; "a reputable business"; "a reputable scientist"; "a reputable wine"
honourable, honorable - worthy of being honored; entitled to honor and respect; "an honorable man"; "led an honorable life"; "honorable service to his country"
respectable - characterized by socially or conventionally acceptable morals; "a respectable woman"
disreputable - lacking respectability in character or behavior or appearance

A breeder that has bred quality dogs over many years with people that can firmly and positively attest to the breeders commitment to quality dogs,is what I refer to as a reputable breeder. Saying there is nothing like a reputable breeder is laughable!! That means there's nothing a reputable scientist?

And please chuks my brother link to the pedigree pupp that goes for 40k I want to buy. Thanks

Just a test for you,identify the popular breed below.

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:58pm On Nov 14, 2013
chucky234: Just a test for you,identify the popular breed below.

Can you show me the dogs full picture so I can use other features to make a conclusion?

For one it is in the mastiff family...
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 4:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Can you show me the dogs full picture so I can use other features to make a conclusion?

For one it is in the mastiff family...
There is no other features except the back legs, the face is the point to note.
Its not a mastiff ooo
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:24pm On Nov 14, 2013
Double post
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
Well from the face alone you can't tell but a fair guess
You identify a dog by
1.Head form
2.Peculiar Breed markings
3Chest size
4.Length from tail to head
5.Length from the ground to the top of the back
6.Most importantly DNA testing
Will guess it is a Terrier I say it is mixed with a mastiff because of the body size..

And yes I am guessing or do you all the breeds so I can test you as well?
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by addictiv(m): 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
A neighbor has a Caucasian/German mixed breed, 3months old and I am really interested in getting one. I insisted on seeing the parents and noticed that the male looks and behaves more german, while the female displayed immense aggression and had attacked someone who she didnt know (sercurity guard) that brought her food. The aggression I think is a Caucasian trait. I want a dog with more's caucasian traits and would like to know how to identify it among the pups. They are really agile and quite hungry too as they seemed b3nt on milking their mother dry.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 5:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Well from the face alone you can't tell but a fair guess
You identify a dog by
1.Head form
2.Peculiar Breed markings
3Chest size
4.Length from tail to head
5.Length from the ground to the top of the back
6.Most importantly DNA testing
Will guess it is a Terrier I say it is mixed with a mastiff because of the body size..

And yes I am guessing or do you all the breeds so I can test you as well?
You dont need plenty grammar to identify a dog you are familiar with,what you are seeing in that pic is a pure breed Russian shepherd (caucasian) dog. A lay man who is only familiar with the double coated type would refer to it as a bad dog or a mixed breed, breed has varieties.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:57pm On Nov 14, 2013
chucky234: You dont need plenty grammar to identify a dog you are familiar with,what you are seeing in that pic is a pure breed Russian shepherd (caucasian) dog. A lay man who is only familiar with the double coated type would refer to it as a bad dog or a mixed breed, breed has varieties.

What!!! Bros no talk am again abeg

this dog is not a caucasian
http://cdn.pedigreedatabase.com/dogbreeds/caucasian_mountain_dog.jpg

This a caucasian with a different coating that dog is not a caucasian

http://www.akc.org/breeds/caucasian_mountain_dog/breed_standard.cfm download the breed info here
google is your friend

This where you got your image from

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-14422087/stock-photo--caucasian-dog.html?src=same_artist-14422126-5

Unless you want to tell me the AKC is wrong

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:38pm On Nov 14, 2013
The caucasian is a mountain dog and their striking feature is their very thick coat so unless you shaved that dog in that picture there is no way in hell it is a caucasian. that is why I asked for a full picture but of course you downloaded it from the internet.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 6:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
addictiv: A neighbor has a Caucasian/German mixed breed, 3months old and I am really interested in getting one. I insisted on seeing the parents and noticed that the male looks and behaves more german, while the female displayed immense aggression and had attacked someone who she didnt know (sercurity guard) that brought her food. The aggression I think is a Caucasian trait. I want a dog with more's caucasian traits and would like to know how to identify it among the pups. They are really agile and quite hungry too as they seemed b3nt on milking their mother dry.

buy a pure Caucasian I hate mixed dogs

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply)

Idemili Python Visited My Site, This Year Will Be Great (Photos) / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple / Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.