Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:40 AM

Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! - Pets (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! (123669 Views)

Snap and upload your pet here [season 1] / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple / Dog Lovers In Nigeria: Your Very Own Dog Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by addictiv(m): 9:31pm On Oct 04, 2013
Evening y'all great thread......I love dogs ESP the bigger, strong and aggressive ones and I plan two get one or two in future. But I have never had one so I am not familiar with the behaviour of each breed. However in getting one I want to take into cognisance that it will be kept in my family home and there are kids , i want a dog that will not bite children or family members but ll be alert at night to take down any intruder and has a deep bark but doesn't bark except when necessary.also cheap to maintain and can grow big in size.......Advice pls
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 8:05am On Oct 05, 2013
addictiv: Evening y'all great thread......I love dogs ESP the bigger, strong and aggressive ones and I plan two get one or two in future. But I have never had one so I am not familiar with the behaviour of each breed. However in getting one I want to take into cognisance that it will be kept in my family home and there are kids , i want a dog that will not bite children or family members but ll be alert at night to take down any intruder and has a deep bark but doesn't bark except when necessary.also cheap to maintain and can grow big in size.......Advice pls

A german shepherd will be a good choice
But as a first time owner, I'll advice you do some research before getting the dog
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by addictiv(m): 8:23am On Oct 05, 2013
^^^thanks
dapsondou:

A german shepherd will be a good choice
But as a first time owner, I'll advice you do some research before getting the dog
how much does one cost and what of Caucasian? ........
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 05, 2013
Nicce
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 10:08am On Oct 05, 2013
addictiv: ^^^thanks
how much does one cost and what of Caucasian? ........

A full breed german shepherd should be between 35k-45k
As for a caucasian, they grow too big and i don't trust them with kids
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
dapsondou:

A pedigree german shepherd cannot be less than 120k
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 5:43am On Oct 17, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

A pedigree german shepherd cannot be less than 120k

From which country?
Nigeria or overseas?
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:32am On Oct 17, 2013
dapsondou:

From which country?
Nigeria or overseas?

Technically there is no pedigree dog in Nigeria,because we have no registry or kennel club,therefore you can only take the breeders word for it.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Technically there is no pedigree dog in Nigeria,because we have no registry or kennel club,therefore you can only take the breeders word for it.

And the price I'm talking about is frok trusted breeders
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by amenamen1010: 5:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
Good day,

French mastiff STUD services needed!

I have a bitch french mastiff currently on heat, I require a pure breed stud french mastiff to mate her.
Please email me on shegoa7@gmail.com so that we can exchange details. Thanks
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by Dogsworld(f): 12:32pm On Oct 21, 2013
Dear Nairaland Dog lovers/breeders cheesy,

[size=14pt]Dog's World Magazine is looking for breeders of the following dogs in Nigeria/Ghana:
[/size]

Azawakh,
Bernese mountain dog,
Boxer,
Collie (Border or Rough),
Basenji (our local dog) cool,
Labrador,
Jack Russell,
Shih tsu,
Maltese,
Doberman,
Husky,
Akita Inu,
Tibetan terrier,
Tibetan mastiff,
Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff),
English bull terrier,
Dalmatian,
Pug,
Chihuahua,
and Chow chow.

Please send your name/kennel, phone and email to @gmail.com.
Your contact details will be added to the next issue of Dog's World.

Importers please abstain.

Come join us here: https://www.nairaland.com/1043675/dog-lovers-nigeria-very-own

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:38am On Oct 22, 2013
dapsondou:

Let me show you what a pure breed gsd looks like in Naija and nobody will sell it @45k those dogs are mutt.

Well this female is expecting.

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:43am On Oct 22, 2013
dapsondou:

And the price I'm talking about is frok trusted breeders

A pedigree gsd can never be 45k oga,you guys should start telling buyers the difference between pure bred dogs and dogs mixed with other dogs. Please see the pictures I posted above,the guy wey get these dogs are in Onitsha.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by gowaga68: 11:56am On Oct 22, 2013
how much is a puppy ?

GeneralShepherd:

Let me show you what a pure breed gsd looks like in Naija and nobody will sell it @45k those dogs are mutt.

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:33pm On Oct 22, 2013
gowaga68: how much is a puppy ?

Till the dog gives birth then we start fixing price..its between 110 and 130k
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 12:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

I've seen GSDs bigger than this and d puppy cost just #30,000.
If ure doubting me, I can give u d contacts here in Ibadan.
GSD puppy for #120,000??! Wow

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 5:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
dapsondou:

I've seen GSDs bigger than this and d puppy cost just #30,000.
If ure doubting me, I can give u d contacts here in Ibadan.
GSD puppy for #120,000??! Wow

People reserve the right to sell their pups at whatever price dey deem fit, but not every dog that is big and with black mouth is a gsd. Those dogs there have full akc pink papers with their pedigree registration, so Please kindly upload the pictures of the parents let us compare the dogs and I'll show you the difference. Cheers.

Here in Lagos, I know a guy that sells rottweilers for 200k in festac. 21 rd D close house 16 and if you see dem no be person go tell you. There are breed standard and those gsds are perfect breed standards.

N:B you can cross a gsd with a mastiff and it will grow bigger and still look like a gsd, does that make it a pure gsd?!! Also did you notice the slant back?
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by jeffmadu: 10:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
Hi guys, I have gotten calls from clients interested in having a pup.. Most questions are "are you in Lagos?", then followed by "how can we meet?", am in Jos, Plateau state. My Email is geoffreymadu@yahoo.com or send me a message on faceboook and the name is "jeff madu". You can also call me on 2348036095726. Its good meeting fellow breeders and dog lovers. Regards.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 11:15pm On Oct 22, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

People reserve the right to sell their pups at whatever price dey deem fit, but not every dog that is big and with black mouth is a gsd. Those dogs there have full akc pink papers with their pedigree registration, so Please kindly upload the pictures of the parents let us compare the dogs and I'll show you the difference. Cheers.

Here in Lagos, I know a guy that sells rottweilers for 200k in festac. 21 rd D close house 16 and if you see dem no be person go tell you. There are breed standard and those gsds are perfect breed standards.

N:B you can cross a gsd with a mastiff and it will grow bigger and still look like a gsd, does that make it a pure gsd?!! Also did you notice the slant back?

Like i said, I can give you the contact. I don't own the dogs and i don't have their pictures.
About a rottweiler been sold for 200k, there'll be people who'll buy them, but as for me I can get a rott of the same quality at a lower price. My neighbour has a rott thats just 9 months old and if you see the dog...[i'll get the pic soon].
Telling me that not all big dogs are GSDs...I recognise a full breed when I see them sir.
If you cross a GSD with a mastiff, do you think it'll still look like a GSD? NO! so don't think I mistake any big dog for a GSD
And about the slant back[roach back], its not a slant back that makes a full breed GSD. Straight back GSDs are also full breeds[not all tho]. In fact, straight back GSDs are more healthy than the slant backs cos slant back GSDs are more prone to hip displaysia.
Feel free to google straight back GSDs and roach back[slant back] GSDs if you don't beleive me sir
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 11:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
Here's a full breed with no roach back

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:46am On Oct 23, 2013
dapsondou: Here's a full breed with no roach back

The bone of contention here is that you claimed to have pedigree pups for #30k the picture I asked for are for the parents of the pedigree.

Also I never said its only slant backs that are pedigree gsds, I have owned straight back pedigree gsds. You are pulling a straw-man here

I'll repeat it here again no pedigree gsd pup will go for less than 120k,unless the breeder na ur babe or something.

That 30k pup is probably a mutt,but convince me with a picture simple
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by oluomoadebayo: 11:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
No. I'm hearing alpha dog for the first time and i will search and watch it . Thanks though.

Wix4real:
You must have watched Alpha dogs, cos the main dogs used are belgian malinois.. And i must say they are very smart and just the right dog for guard and pet. Good luck in ur search, hope u get 1 anyway.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by Dogsworld(f): 11:06am On Oct 24, 2013
[size=14pt]Dear Nairaland Dog lovers/breeders,[/size]

The Boerboel Dog Breeders Association of Nigeria (BDBAN) is hosting a Nigerian Boerboel Appraisal and National Show from 1st - 3rd November 2013.

The 3 day event will be held at Tunwase Schools, 22-27 akinola cole crescent, Off Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja, LAGOS, starting at 10am each day and closing at 4pm. The first 2 days 1st and 2nd November will be for the appraisals while Sunday, 3rd November will be for the Nigerian National Boerboel Show.

The event is open to all Boerboel owners, breeders and fanciers. Interested members of the public are also welcome.

Appraisal fees per dog for BDBAN members is N5,000 per dog and N15,000 per dog for Non BDBAN members.
A gate fee of N5, 000 is payable at the gate for fanciers of the breed who would like to come and have a look and feel of what an appraisal entails. Entry is free for those that come without a dog.

234-8024007733
info@bdban.ng

Thanks

Muffy
Join us here: www.nairaland.com/1043675/dog-lovers-nigeria-very-own

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by ernie2007(m): 5:39pm On Oct 27, 2013
In line with our tradition of providing quality dogs, Orbit Kennels is proud to announce the availability of tea-cup sized pedigree Lhasa Apso Puppies. We also want to use this medium to thank our customers. Your patronage and confidence in us is more than we can ever ask for and we are indeed grateful.

Our Customer service lines are always open for your comments and suggestions. For information and booking of the tea-cup sized pedigree Lhasa Apso Puppies, please call Thelma on 08033019395 or BBM: 28FAD96B.

Iwelu Ernie
Orbit Kennels.

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by dapsondou(m): 10:28pm On Oct 27, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

The bone of contention here is that you claimed to have pedigree pups for #30k the picture I asked for are for the parents of the pedigree.

Also I never said its only slant backs that are pedigree gsds, I have owned straight back pedigree gsds. You are pulling a straw-man here

I'll repeat it here again no pedigree gsd pup will go for less than 120k,unless the breeder na ur babe or something.

I never said pedigree german shepherd costs #30,000. My argument was that I've got where FULL BREED GSD costs #30,000. The person asked how much he can get a full breed GSD and i told him the price range.
And if I may ask, is it only pedigree dogs that are full breed?

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by addictiv(m): 12:39am On Oct 31, 2013
Pls whats d difference btw asentia and german sherpard....pictures ll be great.

1 Like

Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by oluomoadebayo: 9:25am On Oct 31, 2013
addictiv: Pls whats d difference btw asentia and german sherpard....pictures ll be great.
simply use google and you will be good.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:05am On Oct 31, 2013
addictiv: Pls whats d difference btw asentia and german sherpard....pictures ll be great.

An Alsetian is the same as a german shepherd dog..
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:07am On Oct 31, 2013
dapsondou:

I never said pedigree german shepherd costs #30,000. My argument was that I've got where FULL BREED GSD costs #30,000. The person asked how much he can get a full breed GSD and i told him the price range.
And if I may ask, is it only pedigree dogs that are full breed?

A full breed is a edigree..its one and the same
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by Dogsworld(f): 11:30am On Oct 31, 2013
Dear Addictiv,

Contrary to popular belief there is NO DIFFERENCE between the German shepherd dog and the Alsatian dog.

The breed's standard name is German shepherd dog, however during the second World War, the British decided to name the dog the Alsatian, which refers to a region called Alsace. The Alsace region is today a part of France but the people there speak a dialect that is a part of the German language. After the war, the British changed the breed's name back to German shepherd.

I hope that answers your question.

Other names used:
Schäferhund
Berger Allemand
Deutscher Schäferhund
GSD

https://www.nairaland.com/1043675/dog-lovers-nigeria-very-own
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by addictiv(m): 7:23pm On Oct 31, 2013
@ dogsworld....thanks for the clarification. I also tot they were different breeds....great magazine btw.
Re: Dog Lovers in Nigeria: introduce your pet dogs! by chucky234(m): 8:54am On Nov 01, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

You can get a pedigree GSD for as low as 45k depending on whom you are buying from,there are dog owners out there with pedigree dogs that sell at low price just to cover for feeding and upkeep of the dogs.
A brigadier general in Ojo barracks sold his pups for just 40k,both parents of the pups were imported.
Even in Germany GSD are not expensive as the rotties, its only breeders that sell dog at high prices,dog owners can decide to sell at any price they deem fit.
I personally will spend any amount to get caucasian,boerboel,bullmastiff,cane corso,presa, st. Bernard but cant spend more than 65k on a GSD as long as the pups were birthed here in Naija.
I bought my pure breed caucasian from an army officer in Ojo barracks for just 80k and at 7 months its bigger than the one a friend bougth almost same time from a breeder in otta for 180k.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply)

Idemili Python Visited My Site, This Year Will Be Great (Photos) / Snap And Upload Your Pet's Picture Here. Its That Simple / Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.