Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer (27149 Views)

Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! / Team Nigeria For Global First Robot Olympics In Washington (Photo) / Team Nigeria Kits Arrive RIO 3 Days To End Of Olympics Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
Hicks’ winning time of 13.27 secs supersedes the previous record in the 110m hurdles owned by Williams Erese. Erese set a time 13.42secs in the United States in 2003.

The winning time has also qualified the former American runner for the Rio Olympics where he will be donning the colours of Nigeria.
Speaking with journalists after his race, Hicks said he felt very relieved to have the Olympic standard after a couple of unsuccessful attempts.
“All year, I have been beating it (the standard) but it didn’t count because the results have been windy, this was one of my last races to get it done, and I am happy I have done just that and also set a new national record. I’m pretty sure this time will be among the top 20 times in the world at the moment,” he said.

On Friday, a keen contest is also expected in male’s race where Divine Oduduru and Egwero Ogho-Oghene already whet the appetite of fans with their 10.23 wining times in their respective heats on Thursday.

Defending champion Seyi ogunelwe also won his heat but with a slower time of 10.25secs.
In other events on Thursday, Deborah Pam NSDC won the 5,000 with 17.23.50; Olumidi Aderonke and Nuhu Elizabeth came 2nd and 3rd respectively with a time of 17.38.06 and 17.44.20 secs respectively.

In the men’s version, Emmanuel Gyang won in a time of 14.52.75secs while the duo of Stephen Joshua and Solomon Yilbam came 2nd and 3rd respectively.
In the Women’s Discuss, Nwanneka Okwelogu finished tops with her throw of 52.93M.
In the women’s 800m final, Ihekandu Philomena was first with her time of 2.06.98secs, while Lagos athlete Alabi Aminat was 2nd with a time of 2.10.66secs and Linda Friday came third posting a time of 2.11.05 secs.

Hamadjan Soudi claimed the top spot in the men’s 800m race; finishing with a time of 1.49.80secs.
As widely expected, favourites for the 400m women’s event, George Patience Okon and Regina George, won their heats and will be going head-on in Friday’s final.
The 2016 All-Nigeria Championships is serving as Olympic trial to be used in selecting Team Nigeria to the Rio Olympics athletics events.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by abid4akin(m): 1:36am On Jul 10, 2016
Latest Transfer news on Sport CRITICS....Join our BBM Channel --- C001B061E

Check Sport CRITICS BBM Channel (C001B061E) for front pages of newspaper across Europe ranging from Daily Mail, Sun Sport, Marca, Gazzette, Dello sport, Mundo Deportivo, Corrierre Dello Sport etc.

Make direct contact with Dambryant, Blitz, and the likes on a surreal whatsapp group chat, where we dispense and discuss great news on all sorts of sports - Football, Basketball, Rugby, MotoGP, Tennis etc..

Drop your numbers to join Sports CRITICS

You'll be Glad you join

Thanks
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by isaiah9(m): 5:55pm On Jul 10, 2016
The full groups

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 4:11am On Jul 13, 2016
isaiah9:
The full groups
Croatia would be tricky opponents. But I believe D'Tigers are good enough to take one of the four quarter final spots from the group.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 4:14am On Jul 13, 2016
Team Nigeria's 35-athlete Track and Field list for the Rio 2016 Olympics:

MEN

100m: Seye Ogunlewe, Ogho-Oghene Egwero, Monzavous Edwards

200m: Divine Oduduru, Tega Odele

400m: Orukpe Erayokan

110 Hurdles: Antwon Hicks

400m Hurdles: Miles Ukaoma

Triple Jump: Tosin Oke, Olu Olamigoke

Shot put: Stephen Mozia

WOMEN

100m: Blessing Okagbare, Gloria Asumnu, Peace Uko

200m: Blessing Okagbare

400m: Patience Okon-George, Omolara Omotosho, Margaret Bamgbose

100m Hurdles: Oluwatobiloba Amusan

400m Hurdles: Amaka Ogoegbunam

High Jump: Doreen Amata

Long Jump: Ese Brume, Blessing Okagbare

Discus: Chinwe Okoro

Shot put: Nwanneka Okwelogu

Heptathlon: Uhunoma Osazuwa

4x100m: Blessing Okagbare, Jennifer Madu, Gloria Asumnu, Peace Uko, Agnes Osazuwa, Zainab Sanni, Cecilia Francis, Khadijat Suleman, Olivia Ekpone

4x400m: Patience Okon-George, Margaret Bamgbose, Omolara Omotosho, Regina George, Yinka Ajayi, Rita Ossai, Ibukun Mayungbe, Ekundayo Sogbesan
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by olapluto(m): 10:31am On Jul 13, 2016
Athletics prospects:
Men
1. Divine Oduduru making semi final will be a great acheivement in the 200m. He seems to step up on the big stage.
2. The two triple jumpers are good. I think Tosin will make finals. Olu may push for final too. Two Nigerian in the final is the best we can hope for.
Verdict: NO MEDAL for Nigerian Male athletes in RIO.

Women:
ALL our women will be exciting to watch. The weakest may be the 400m hurdles, but seriously the remaining are all exciting.
Relays.. we may make final of the 4 x 100m relay, while we are one of the top 5 in the 4x400m.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by chrisooblog: 2:49pm On Jul 13, 2016
yes we have some exciting prospects in the women athletes but they only look good enough to make their respective finals without getting a medal. although ese brume could spring a surprise she had greatly improved. blessing if she can wisely choose which event she would most likely do well in she should conserve her energies for such an event cus doing 4 events no be beans

for the men i'm so sad at the lack of top quality athletes. ogunlewe looks promising though as well as antwon hicks hopefully they can make the final of their respective events

olapluto:
Athletics prospects:
Men
1. Divine Oduduru making semi final will be a great acheivement in the 200m. He seems to step up on the big stage.
2. The two triple jumpers are good. I think Tosin will make finals. Olu may push for final too. Two Nigerian in the final is the best we can hope for.
Verdict: NO MEDAL for Nigerian Male athletes in RIO.

Women:
ALL our women will be exciting to watch. The weakest may be the 400m hurdles, but seriously the remaining are all exciting.
Relays.. we may make final of the 4 x 100m relay, while we are one of the top 5 in the 4x400m.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by chrisooblog: 2:56pm On Jul 13, 2016
tough group can only see the d'tigers realistically standing a chance against croatia and lithuania. group A would have been so ideal china serbia australia venezuela? we could easily have copped two wins from this lot but no use crying over spilt milk #Letsgodtigers

isaiah9:
The full groups
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2016
chrisooblog:
yes we have some exciting prospects in the women athletes but they only look good enough to make their respective finals without getting a medal. although ese brume could spring a surprise she had greatly improved. blessing if she can wisely choose which event she would most likely do well in she should conserve her energies for such an event cus doing 4 events no be beans

for the men i'm so sad at the lack of top quality athletes. ogunlewe looks promising though as well as antwon hicks hopefully they can make the final of their respective events

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 4:03am On Jul 15, 2016
Victor Oladipo has officially rejected Nigeria's invite to join D'Tigers. He has committed his international future to the US.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 19, 2016
D'Tigers are leading Argentina by 50-40 in the first half
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 4:48am On Jul 19, 2016
FT: Nigeria 96-92 Argentina

Ike Diogu led D'Tigers with 18 points and 7 rebounds.

There will be a re-match on Wednesday. Interestingly, Argentina are the first opponents of D'Tigers at the Olympics.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 4:50am On Jul 19, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIXYS0KnlI4&feature=youtu.be

Blessing Okagbare wins the Gyulai Istvan Memorial in Budapest, Hungary, in a time of 10.92 seconds. Her win was wind-assisted by 2.6m/s.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by olapluto(m): 9:53am On Jul 19, 2016
CFCman:
FT: Nigeria 96-92 Argentina

Ike Diogu led D'Tigers with 18 points and 7 rebounds.

There will be a re-match on Wednesday. Interestingly, Argentina are the first opponents of D'Tigers at the Olympics.
This type of friendly will not be possible in football.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 1:02am On Jul 24, 2016
FINA, the world governing body for swimming and other aquatic events, has confirmed that two Nigerian swimmers have met the qualifying standard for the Rio Olympics. They swimmers are Rechael Tonjor (women's 100m breastroke), and Samson Opuakpor (men's 50m freestyle).

Their inclusion brings to the number of Nigerian athletes, who have qualified for the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics, to 75.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 27, 2016
Mikel Obi has been named as the captain of Team Nigeria for the 2016 Rio Olympics. He will be assisted by female table tennis player, Funke Oshonaike.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by superduperjay: 10:14am On Jul 27, 2016
CFCman:
Mikel Obi has been named as the captain of Team Nigeria for the 2016 Rio Olympics. He will be assisted by female table tennis player, Funke Oshonaike.
Yipee!! I as thinking of opening a thread to follow up on the olympics and then I stumbled on this grin. Generally I think the women will do better than the men and for some weird reason I believe nigeria will do better than we expect(the feeling is really weird but its still a feeling sha). Odunayo adekuoroye will definitely get a medal, I am tipping her for silver, she's a wrestler and has prepared well. I hear MFM church have been supporting her and she lacks nothing, equally really talented too.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by superduperjay: 10:16am On Jul 27, 2016
And also I really feel very bad for the table tennis players, they are good but the chinese won't let them shine lol
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 27, 2016
superduperjay:
And also I really feel very bad for the table tennis players, they are good but the chinese won't let them shine lol

Toriola will show them pepper cheesy
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Horus(m): 10:26pm On Jul 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2FmW2BFoBg

[size=14pt]Nigeria's Preparations Few Days To Rio Olympics Kickoff[/size]
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by superduperjay: 11:20am On Jul 29, 2016
What's happening oo I heard IAAF is disturbing our 4by400 girls. Must olympics agree to IAAF's decisions?? That team is strong and should get to the final.I hope something can be done, replace the adeloye lady maybe?v
CFCman:

Toriola will show them pepper cheesy
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 29, 2016

superduperjay:
What's happening oo I heard IAAF is disturbing our 4by400 girls. Must olympics agree to IAAF's decisions?? That team is strong and should get to the final.I hope something can be done, replace the adeloye lady maybe?v

Tosin Adeloye was banned because she was part of the team that achieved the Olympic qualifying mark in the 4x400 relay at the Warri Grand prix last month. As a result, that qualifying mark has been erased from the official records, and the 2 other fastest olympic qualifying times ran by the team didn't meet the Olympic qualifying mark. embarassed

Recall that the IAAF similarly retroactively recommended that the gold medal be stripped from the USA's 4x400m relay team in the 2000 Olympics, because one of the runners, Antonio Pettigrew, tested positive to a banned substance. So, I don't think any appeal by the AFN and NOC has high odds of being successful.

It's a sad day for our athletes and for the other members of the relay team.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by isaiah9(m): 12:57pm On Aug 01, 2016
The final roster of Nigeria olympic basketball team.
So sad no alfarouq aminu and ezeli because of some issues

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by olapluto(m): 1:17pm On Aug 01, 2016
isaiah9:
The final roster of Nigeria olympic basketball team.
So sad no alfarouq aminu and ezile because of some issues

Insurance they said! Al farouq Aminu is by far the best Nigerian player. This is the worst news about our olympics. Worse than the relay team dq.

1 Like

Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by isaiah9(m): 1:42pm On Aug 01, 2016
olapluto:

Insurance they said! Al farouq Aminu is by far the best Nigerian player. This is the worst news about our olympics. Worse than the relay team dq.
I tell ya. Is going to be tough for us
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 01, 2016
With Ezeli and Aminu out of the squad, I don't see how D'Tigers will pull through
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 02, 2016
Table-tennis player, Funke Oshonaike, will be Nigeria's flagbearer at the opening ceremony of the Olympics.
The Rio games will be her 6th Summer Olympics.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 03, 2016
Watching Sweden v South Africa - women's football event.

So far, 85% of the action is being played in SA's half. We're 24 mins into the first half.
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by superduperjay: 5:58pm On Aug 03, 2016
CFCman:
Watching Sweden v South Africa - women's football event.
So far, 85% of the action is being played in SA's half. We're 24 mins into the first half.
watching it too. One swedish lady hit the bar early on. Hmm I also heard that the nigerians are still in atlanta and our match is tomorrow,I mean are we even a serious country at all, are we even normal What sort of spiritual problem is wrong with nigeria??
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 03, 2016
superduperjay:
watching it too. One swedish lady hit the bar early on. Hmm I also heard that the nigerians are still in atlanta and our match is tomorrow,I mean are we even a serious country at all, are we even normal What sort of spiritual problem is wrong with nigeria??
Bros, the thing is just mystifying.

I don't understand how the NOC bungled the team's travel plans. Why can't the so-called bureaucrats ever get things done in a professional manner?
Re: 2016 Olympics Thread: Funke Oshonaike Is Team Nigeria's Flagbearer by superduperjay: 6:24pm On Aug 03, 2016
Its unbelieveable!!! just when you think you've heard it all something pops up. I am not a bros I am a sis grin
CFCman:

Bros, the thing is just mystifying.

I don't understand how the NOC bungled the team's travel plans. Why can't the so-called bureaucrats ever get things done in a professional manner?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

World Cup:super Falcons’ Chances Of Qualifying Reduce As Brazil Take Second Slot / Owners Of Top Betting Company In Nigeria / Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.