Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,033 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time (59401 Views)

Welcome To USA - Tips And Tricks For Immigrants / Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. / 7 Attitudes You Should Have On Lagos Roads If You Are Relocating To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by bmos(m): 7:08pm On Mar 23, 2016
KingRex1:
Very helpful!

Cc: lalasticlala

Yes very helpful hint for me as I shall be in Monterey, California next month. When i traveled to.Finland, i used my Etisalat. Pls is that possible in US?
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by bmos(m): 7:10pm On Mar 23, 2016
Lizzyangel:
and don't forget garri....Nigeria's first fast food

Yes and garri, kulikuli. Will theses items be seized st the airport?
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Jabioro: 7:11pm On Mar 23, 2016
My is if I can remember all these ,make arrangement, and evaluate the document and my very self before I enter the green land,,Hmmmm, what happened to mama/ Iya Sukura alamala ? mama put at Tin can island ,mama Chenedu my ukwabi madam ,heeh ! mogbe se mama Marian no go follow me commot with her akara and ogi early morning food..leave that thing all this agbero op se them they available ? see I like your write up but me . na me for 9 ja..my children do that .
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Ayodejioak(m): 7:11pm On Mar 23, 2016
@op that was a smart info. I took it all when i was coming along smiley smiley
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by IYANGBALI: 7:14pm On Mar 23, 2016
No food stuffs,no gari ijebu,no alomo no kulikuli,no suya, no bush meat,no yoruba sponge mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Jdesilentkiller(m): 7:15pm On Mar 23, 2016
Don't forget seasoning like Maggi, Royco, Knolls etc cos there food is strange to the taste bud that is used to spicy foods.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by ATERI(m): 7:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
tpiah2:
What concerns Somalia with Nigeria?

Were the Somalians coming from Nigeria?

Somalians travelled from London. Don`t worry, by the time you start travelling regularly to the West, you will know that all blacks are the same.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by esonuu(m): 7:24pm On Mar 23, 2016
Pls anybody gat idea on when visa lottery application wil commence?
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 23, 2016
I wish to travel abroad Some day...
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by ChiSun27(m): 7:44pm On Mar 23, 2016
TrollTrap:
Imagine how peak it is finally getting to the U.S and then Trump wins election the next day and send you back to "Africa". grin grin

U wicked sha oooooo!!!! grin
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by professore(m): 7:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
it is noted
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Chumzylove(f): 8:00pm On Mar 23, 2016
Wuuworld:
No body is or will relocate to any USA,we all must see to the end of this APC change.

The USA u wanna run to was actually made by people..
They av their government too
Itz either Buhari and his APC TIEFZZZZ finish us or we murder them...

NO BODY LEAVES!!!!

Make I freestyle small before they finally approve the anti social media bill abi na wetin they call am.
Hahahahahahahhaha Lwkm you're funny oh
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by NigerianScholar: 8:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
This thread is a joke. You didnt even mention garri
kairu:
Yes it’s finally going to happen. Your lifelong dream of living and working in America is finally coming to pass. Your employer is sending you to their U.S. subsidiary, you won a green card lottery, your relative has finally filed for you or you sold all your properties and inheritance and relocated anyway.

In my own case we were very excited about this opportunity and could not wait to relocate. So we left behind our friends, grandparents, nephews, nieces, co-workers and a job for me that just got comfortable with a promotion!

Any way in our excitement we forgot to do quite a lot of things which later became very stressful to obtain. So here are some of them;

International Drivers License/Permit

It’s definitely an option to get an international drivers license before you enter the US. Most cities in the US don’t have good public transportation and you may need to borrow, rent or buy a car in other to move from one point to another. But this is only a temporary solution for the first few months. After that you will still have to get a US drivers license. The police might start to give you a hard time about it especially if you get stopped for a traffic offence.

Get those Academic Transcripts!

You must have Your Secondary /University Transcript of Records. Especially if you plan to either school or work in the US. Request it from your University Registrar. Try to request as many copies as you can. Then have them evaluated by Credentials Evaluation Services. The CES is a government approved organization for those who are educated outside the United States but want to pursue further education in U.S. institutions of higher learning or work with their credentials. The cost I think is $385.00 and you can check out www.cgfns.org for more clarification. You can actually do this evaluation even before you travel!

A note of warning though….. Don’t be surprised if your Nigerian first class degree is evaluated to a second class lower. I beg that’s how I see am! Apparently our degrees no qualify! But just check it out before leaving before you find out that you left Nigeria a doctor and is only qualified to be an RN!

Take the Approved English Language Proficiency Examinations

If you want to further your education this is a must. As far as you were not born here and you did not begin your early education here, then yes you need this document.

There are three sets of approved exams; (1) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) plus the Test of Written English (TWE) and the Test of Spoken English (TSE); (2) the Test of English in International Communications (TOEIC) plus TSE and TWE; or (3) the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

Unlocked Cell Phones

Yes that your very expensive unlocked cell phone can be used here with another carrier. Most cell phone companies in the US sell locked cellphones. Although you can buy unlock codes and phones on places like Ebay when you arrive. it’s interesting but I found out its easier and sometimes cheaper to buy phones from Nigeria, then bring it here and just pick a carrier. All you do is insert your SIM and you’re good to go. Rather than paying for phones with 2 year service plans.

An Adapter for Your Various Electronics

The voltage in America is 110 while in Nija its 220/240! In those days, we needed voltage converters to either step up or step down the voltages or else our electronics would blow up.
But now that’s not really necessary since most electronics such as cell phones, iPads, tablets, laptops and cameras, all have the capacity to accept both types of voltage. All you need now is just an adapter with different plugs.

Photos and Contact Information of Friends and Family

Yep, I took this one for granted. Time flies really when you travel abroad. Before you can say Jackie Chan, you will have spent 4 years without even realizing it and have lost contact with a lot of your peers, friends and family! So please pack up as many memorabilia as you can!

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by calliope(f): 8:37pm On Mar 23, 2016
Deejacy2:
I wish to travel abroad Some day...
awwwwwww u wud but uve to believe.
Smiles
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by macaranta(m): 8:37pm On Mar 23, 2016
It will interest you to know that there some places in the USA that your village is better than..literally.
So when you hear USA..know the side you're going to and yes google is your friend (stay off Detroit, Chicago,Compton,etc)

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 23, 2016
calliope:
awwwwwww u wud but uve to believe.
Smiles
Thanks
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by swagifted(m): 8:50pm On Mar 23, 2016
My brother
octopusfreaky:
No place like home jere,,dose places are meant for visitation.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by solpat(m): 8:57pm On Mar 23, 2016
Fr33born:
Don't forget your Pestle and Mortar
Very important..

Jail dey hungry yougrin You could be arrested for making noise while pounding

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by emi14: 9:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
What if the traveler is not educated. Your post is incomplete. You didn't mention warm clothes in case of cold weather/ winter. Not only job seekers visits USA.

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by abeniagbon(m): 9:40pm On Mar 23, 2016
DaFlash:
1 Gun
2 Taser
3 pepper spray

Cause its the home of serial killers, psychos and devil worshipping cults

I LOVE MY COUNTRY 9JA

The Country I hate most. Yeye country. I guess this Op must be from surulere. Na that area them dey carry travel for head. Come to alagbado na make them buy land build house na wetin dey there mind be that. Well if I ever think of travelling ooo. I will only love to visit swiss.
Bleep that USA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by dipori: 9:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
What of original agbo jedi
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by ooshinibos: 10:05pm On Mar 23, 2016
please leave ya Nigerian Mentality in Nigeria ..Please

2 Likes

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by tpiah2: 10:33pm On Mar 23, 2016
esonuu:
Pls anybody gat idea on when visa lottery application wil commence?

No, just keep checking their website I guess, or ask on the US visa threads.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by deasy(m): 10:42pm On Mar 23, 2016
"A note of warning though….. Don’t be surprised if your Nigerian first class degree is evaluated to a second class lower. I beg that’s how I see am! Apparently our degrees no qualify! But just check it out before leaving before you find out that you left Nigeria a doctor and is only qualified to be an RN!"

It's high time!
I wonder why some Nigerians go over there to work mean while our degrees meant nothing to them -- SLAVERY INDIGUISE!

Lets build up our land
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Emmacolinho(m): 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
Lemme take note of this because I know I will visit there soon. Nairaland Official Hustler
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 11:07pm On Mar 23, 2016
anonimi:

I believe you can use your Nigerian driving licence if you are just visiting.
in as much as you can use your drivers license to drive. One has to be very cars cos driving in a different country is entirely a different ball game.
op u missed ago(cash) to help settle before one finds something to do.
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 23, 2016
abeniagbon:

The Country I hate most. Yeye country. I guess this Op must be from surulere. Na that area them dey carry travel for head. Come to alagbado na make them buy land build house na wetin dey there mind be that. Well if I ever think of travelling ooo. I will only love to visit swiss.
Bleep that USA
why u dey vex na. abi us embassy don deny u visa b4?

1 Like

Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by cordss(m): 11:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
integrity85:
A timely thread for me.
Thanks op.

same as me... when are u leaving?
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Chukazu: 11:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
Sweetyie:
Baba God answer my call oh
answer your call so that you can travel?
Re: Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time by Larrykaysail(m): 12:53am On Mar 24, 2016
falconey:
And lots of indigenous CD/DVD tracks.
you can download movie or music online that's not an issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Rejoice After Crossing The Mediterranean Sea Into Europe (video) / Policemen Trapped As Cash-Filled Bullion Van Catches Fire In Kebbi (Pictures) / Best European Country To Live In.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.