Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing (3280 Views)

Buhari Is Failing Already-Yemi Adebowale / The Northern Oligarchy Are Preparing To 'aguyi-ironsi' Goodluck Johnathan / Easteners Suffer While Nigeria Is Led By A Hausa-fulani-yoruba Oligarchy.(read!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 3:23am On Jul 24, 2009
We have to stand up for once in our life as Nigerians not ibo man or yoruba man as Nigerians we have a common enemy.
If the west cannot shake away there tribalistic tendencies then we have a problem.
The west has been sucking up to the north for patronage why.
I want you to read this.

Relocation to Abuja was an attempt to bring the Nation’s capital to the Door-step of Northerners that which they have since achieved. The relocation of Nigeria’s capital to Abuja has come and gone but the politics played by the North together with the bad effects which by far outweighs the decision will continue to live with Nigerians till “thy kingdom come”. Contrary to popular perception then, the setting up of the hasty panel that looked into this decision was an attempt to situate the Nation’s seat of power in the northern region.

The panel set up by the then Northern oligarchy led by the military cleverly gave the Nigerians and the world at large an understanding that everything was wrong with Lagos as the capital and that another capital which would eventually correct this impression would better be situated in the heart of the northern region of Nigeria and surprisingly prominent Yoruba personalities amongst whom were the Late Justice Akinola Aguda and Tai Solarin were made members of the panel set up to fulfill this arrangement.

In the views of these panel members, certain anomalies compelled the relocation of the capital of Nigeria. These included the city’s small land area, and consequently congestion, which according to them makes further development of the state utterly difficult, the coastal location of the city, lack of centralization of the city as the capital of the Nation, Security reason - Lagos due to its location was vulnerable to attack from the ocean, because of its location at the edge of the country, it's not very convenient and expensive for other Nigerians to come to Lagos. (These very reasons are laughable today) Lagos belongs to the Yorubas; one of the major tribes in Nigeria (If Lagos belongs to the Yorubas to whom does Abuja belong) among others too numerous to mention here.

Although Lagos, with a land area of 3, 577 square kilometers, represents only 0.4 per cent of Nigeria’s land area, the city hosts an estimated 12 million inhabitants or 10 per cent of the nation’s population and still accommodates more people perhaps on daily basis such is the wonder of Lagos even at rejection as the capital of the Federation by the Northerners.

Given the United Nation’s projection that Lagos geographically has the potential to become the third most populous mega-polis by 2015 and the fact that Lagos remains the economic as well as the cultural capital of the Nation are the initiators of this relocation to Abuja not mistaken? From the “days of John the Baptist” to the years of the British colonial government in power Lagos has been “Home for all’ and is more geographically blessed and prepared for this than any other state or region in the nation including Abuja. Let there be no mistake about this.

It is incontrovertible that every Nigerian feels better at home in Lagos than in any other place. It is equally a fact that there are many non natives of Lagos today who have lost cognizance of there home towns because they have spent almost their entire lives in the state. I bet that everyone will admit that more people today speak Yoruba than any other Nigerian language. This is the influence of Lagos.

Historically, Lagos is widely believed to be an Awori town but other migrants have washed into Lagos, especially the Benin City natives (who settled at Enu-Owa, the Saro (Sierra Leonean) and the predominantly Brazilian, Aguda returnees settled mainly in Olowogbowo/Offin area along the northern foreshore of the Lagos Marina and the Brazilian Quarters. The Tapa (Nupe) mistaken for the Hausa, first settled at “Ago” (Hausa Lines) in 1860 but later relocated to Obalende where there permanent homes were found. The Igbo are today known to occupy the shops of all the major markets in the state today.

Any human complete with the five senses will easily tell that Abuja is very uninviting and that those who set out to change the course of geographical endowments should have realized that by nature, the human society is unpredictably difficult and complex and the Nigerian environment is not different from this given its extremely volatile, fragile and complex socio-economic nature relocation to Abuja was therefore rather unnecessary.

The world over except those who relocated Nigeria’ capital has realized that the growth, survival and viability of societies are dependent on the competence of good human resource and experience so it is apt to ask ourselves what resources Abuja is naturally endowed with. Those Ministry workers forced on journey to the city in the years of Babangida to begin a new life are still returning to Lagos. Many of them left without their family members. Despite the well physical and excellent planning, Abuja still strikes everyone except our big politicians most from the north as a place of suffering where one spends too much and earns very little, a city made for only the Rich. Abuja is nothing but a city of ministries and papers.

Too much of the nation’s resources from the Niger Delta had been poured into hurriedly erecting a new seat of government by the military government of Northern extraction who had hidden agenda. Most other parts of Nigeria were simply ignored so that Abuja could coalesce from a dream into reality. Money that should have been invested in electricity to power the whole country was poured down the drain to the detriment of other regions of the country. Abuja is obviously a misplaced priority as money that should have been put to more urgent use in the areas of healthcare, education and so on, was diverted through wasteful means. Murtala began it all and Babangida completed it all.

We failed to ask ourselves why all the public structures already in Lagos had to be duplicated in Abuja in the name of creating another capital for the northern region. This clearly was not risk to be undertaken by a society like Nigeria seen as one of poorest nations of the world. Today, the former National Assembly complex, The secretariat, Tafawa Balewa square and other public buildings lay neglected with Lagos itself lying in utmost neglect as a result of abandonment by the Federal Government.

Abuja may remain the pride of the North but to the rest of the nation, the mere idea of relocation of the capital from Lagos is nothing but an economic and monumental waste only meant to further or serve the interest of the few individuals. Suffice it to mean that societies cannot be built overnight. Those behind this idea of relocation presented a situation which ushered in lingering economic crisis in Nigeria which in a way depleted the economy of the nation. Abuja was foisted on the people of Nigeria. Hundreds of billions of dollars were committed into building Abuja Yet no government in this nation can factiously tell us how much that was spent to build to build the city.

The government kicked the Gwari inhabitants off their land and moved the capital to Abuja because it was searching for a central place in the North. Today we are asking whether Abuja should be classified as a state or a capital city, instead of the mayoralty that it is. Again we ask ourselves whether Abuja is the capital of Nigeria or Northern Nigeria. Nigeria remains the country in the world with its capital in the centre. The 3 most populated countries in the world China, India and the United States all have their capitals located at the edge like Lagos. The 3 biggest countries in the world by landmass Russia, Canada, and the United States have their respective capitals located at the edge like Lagos. The once location of Nigeria’s capital at the edge followed careful thought and consideration by the much wiser British than our later military junta only out to fulfill the carefully orchestrated agenda of the North.

In the same Capital of Northern Nigeria (Abuja) we hear of ban on public drinking of alcohol, and the setting up of a committee to enforce ban on smoking in public places in Abuja from June1, 2008 (see The punch, May 3, 2008) The same way we have heard of the ban on commercial motorcycles in the city so that we are once again asking if Abuja is going sharia the same way its other Northern states went.

Although the capital has been shifted to Abuja, Lagos will remain the capital of Nigeria in our minds considering its importance in the economic activities of the country.

1 Like

Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 3:34am On Jul 24, 2009
PDP is a clandestine manover by the Northern Oligarchy to hold unto power by all cost and by all means.
Nigerians have to wake up and smell the coffee.
Very soon sharia will be the main law in Nigeria.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by generalzango(m): 12:14am On Jul 25, 2009
Bombay,after all thez things that u listed above are people not suffering up there in the north? Even Chukwuma Soludo confirmed it. So stop this SHIT. I mean be mature 4 once.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 5:24pm On Aug 02, 2009
General but you know am saying the truth why should i lie the facts are right in front our eyes to see.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Onlytruth(m): 6:41pm On Aug 02, 2009
bombay:

General but you know am saying the truth why should i lie the facts are right in front our eyes to see.

Who cares if the north rule "Nigeria" forever? Isn't that what you want
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 7:25pm On Aug 02, 2009
Onlytruth you must be a bloody pinhead i can see what you trying to do it will not work d**k head. angry
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by asha80(m): 7:28pm On Aug 02, 2009
Abeg make them rule.After all they were born to rule.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Onlytruth(m): 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2009
asha 80:

Abeg make them rule.After all they were born to rule.

Exactly my point!
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by olabukola: 7:36pm On Aug 02, 2009
@Bombay
Are you blaming the yorubas for the movement of the capital from lagos to ABJ?
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 7:43pm On Aug 02, 2009
Can you read what is wrong with you guys haba

I can read stupid statements like they are born to rule for that statement i will say your father.

Please people don't be offended this rams make me sick to my stomach.

1 Like

Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Onlytruth(m): 7:51pm On Aug 02, 2009
can I borrow your logo? Its kinda cute wink
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by asha80(m): 8:05pm On Aug 02, 2009
@bombay

Man so you do not know where that 'born to rule' mantra came from tongue.

When next you see a sokoto person just hail born to rule tongue
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 8:12pm On Aug 02, 2009
You people should stop that nonsense born to rule who.
If they want to rule they should go and rule there wivies and cattles.
This crap has to stop.
This what makes them think like that when you ignorantly hail and tell them that crap.
Any aboki that tries to tell me that crap wali i will blow his head off barawo banza.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Dede1(m): 12:28am On Aug 03, 2009
Of course whenever the chieftains of northern oligarchy want anything done in the colonial contraption called Nigeria that will overwhelmingly fall within their socio-politico-economic interest, they have willing southern dancing partners to take the floor.

Whether it is the so-called One-Nigeria, quota system, Kaduna refinery or moving capital city to the northern region of Nigeria, there are insurmountable numbers of southern Nigerians ready to do the biddings for chieftains of northern oligarchy.

The blame of regressive Nigeria, manifested by actions of northern oligarchy, should partly hinge on the shoulders of moronic southern Nigerians.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by invisible2(m): 12:46am On Aug 03, 2009
Dede1:

Of course whenever the chieftains of northern oligarchy want anything done in the colonial contraption called Nigeria that will overwhelmingly fall within their socio-politico-economic interest, they have willing southern dancing partners to take the floor.

Whether it is the so-called One-Nigeria, quota system, Kaduna refinery or moving capital city to the northern region of Nigeria, there are insurmountable numbers of southern Nigerians ready to do the biddings for chieftains of northern oligarchy.

The blame of regressive Nigeria, manifested by actions of northern oligarchy, should partly hinge on the shoulders of moronic southern Nigerians.

very good point, precise.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 10:11am On Nov 02, 2014
nigeria
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by bombay: 9:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
I hope you all where warned.
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by tucky200(m): 10:07pm On Jun 21, 2015
Why all of a sudden u igbos are on a rampage this night on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by kettykin: 12:00am On Jun 22, 2015
Onlytruth and Asha must be commended for their foresight. They both saw what is happening now as at 2009
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Uchek(m): 5:43pm On Nov 29, 2023
Totally agree with u!

Dede1:

Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Difrent: 5:57pm On Nov 29, 2023
bombay:
We have to stand up for once in our life as Nigerians not ibo man or yoruba man as Nigerians we have a common enemy.
If the west cannot shake away there tribalistic tendencies then we have a problem.
The west has been sucking up to the north for patronage why.

Shinedu
Yorubas are not the cause of your misery

Take your frustrations elsewhere

Let me sound like your brothers

The way igbos are obsessed with yourba matter need to be studied

They keep wailing
We keep WINNING

1 Like

Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Sergio103(m): 6:38pm On Nov 29, 2023
Difrent:

Shinedu
Yorubas are not the cause of your misery

Take your frustrations elsewhere

Let me sound like your brothers

The way igbos are obsessed with yourba matter need to be studied

They keep wailing
We keep WINNING

Olatunde did you even understand the thread before commenting.

You were just in a rush to bash igbos without understanding what message the op is passing.

Yoruba people Sha

Pigs everywhere
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Difrent: 6:50pm On Nov 29, 2023
Sergio103:

Olatunde did you even understand the thread before commenting.

You were just in a rush to bash igbos without understanding what message the op is passing.

Yoruba people Sha

Pigs everywhere

The part of your epistle I quoted gave you away as a Yoruba hater. No needs going through the rubbish you wrote.

Nonsense

For clarity ....this is what I reacted to . No regrets and I stand by what I said.

" If the west cannot shake away there tribalistic tendencies then we have a problem.
The west has been sucking up to the north for patronage why
."....what arrant nonsense

1 Like

Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Sergio103(m): 6:53pm On Nov 29, 2023
Difrent:

The part of your epistle I quoted gave you away as a Yoruba hater. No needs going through the rubbish you wrote.

Nonsense

So I'm now the op? grin

Stop smoking rustic brown roof for your health
Re: Northern Oligarchy Why Nigeria Is Failing by Difrent: 9:04pm On Nov 29, 2023
Sergio103:

So I'm now the op? grin

Stop smoking rustic brown roof for your health

Amebo

(1) (Reply)

South African Pastor Makes Congregation Eat Grass | Photos / More Photos From The Train Accident In Kaduna Yesterday / Could This Really Be Shekau? Found Dead In Sambisa Forest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.