Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,754 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:38 AM

Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! (8616 Views)

What Most African Perform Online As Culture / Bristow Helo Crashed Because Govt Doesn't Appease Sea Goddess – Oba / Men Don't Think African Culture Is The Best. They Like It Because It Favors Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by chinchin1(f): 11:29pm On Jan 29, 2008
That is so true. Some people say I look mixed or a light-skinned Ethopian. My skin is a butter-tan(yellowish), I have dark brown freckles, sloe-eyed, and my hair is not as unruly as others, my mother is pretty fair-skinned(naturally) for a Nigerian woman. I came out a bit pinkish in colour(lighter than her!) and they called me and my kid bother the 'white' ones when we were little.

So, when I went back to the Motherland, they tried to perm my hair and it broke drastically. I hate being light-skinned some times.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by na2day2(m): 11:38pm On Jan 29, 2008
U WILL BE THE FIRST, EVERY OTHER GIRL I KNOW WANTS TO HAVE A LIGHT SKIN LIKE ITS A TICKET TO HEAVEN

chinchin1:

That is so true. Some people say I look mixed or a light-skinned Ethopian. My skin is a butter-tan(yellowish), I have dark brown freckles, sloe-eyed, and my hair is not as unruly as others, my mother is pretty fair-skinned(naturally) for a Nigerian woman. I came out a bit pinkish in colour(lighter than her!) and they called me and my kid bother the 'white' ones when we were little.

So, when I went back to the Motherland, they tried to perm my hair and it broke drastically. I hate being light-skinned some times.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by spoilt(f): 1:21am On Jan 30, 2008
pls correct the title of the thread. The grammar is really bad.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by yankite(m): 10:57am On Jan 30, 2008
i have been following candylips and naijacutee discussion
(1)candylips bigups 2 u for the matured way u hv handle
this all thign,but as for naijacutee i think u still need to
think a lil bit about people feelings b4 u comeout and say
anything dat u deem fit as ok,u can,t be calling another
person bleeped up,repeating it,like u don,t know it a
derogatory term to use on someone and yet u want
them to see from ur perspctive.to candylips i feel u all
the way joo,u be correct guy.we both no say hm no good
to take another mans money period,but na selfish oyinbo
man wey hm sef wan get rich in a smart way dem dey out smart.
atleast the point as been proven say the so call african man wey
dem think say no dey civilised,dey live on top tree na dem show
say dem sef get dem am for dem sense on a whole new level
as for me am a proud african man keeping it real for yankee,
once again bigups to my bro candylips men i feel u. grin grin grin grin
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by iammodel(m): 12:50am On Sep 13, 2009
AM PROUDLY AFRICAN AND REPRESENT THAT ANYWHERE I GO, ESPECIALLY NAIJA MY COUNTRY WHEREVER I GO.
APPROACHING SOMEONE AND ASKING STARIGHT AWAY ARE U AFRICA IS QUEIT UNSOCIAL, THAT'S IF U DO THAT.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by ohmygod: 4:50am On Oct 03, 2009
Naijacutee, U are womanly, I have a feeling that u are a good example of a nice and real african young woman, I like u, see how she accepted her mistake on calling that dude Bleep up?, my ex will never do that in a million years, if u don't believe me and would want to know more hit me vitool2000@yahoo.com
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by ohmygod: 4:59am On Oct 03, 2009
Bleep, even some naijan's dont even want to recogniz their home guys probably on girls because they most likely need to see their naked body and then tell other's these are some of them tht didnt pass Elementary Six back home, Idiot's mostly when u meet them ( Igbo) dem go begin speak oyibo 4 u that is if they talk at na for Texas u go see them die na another Eko Naija be tht, I tie for them, only know how to answer all these their American Chief Tency Title Chief Goat meat, chief camel lol I be Original Igbo but I prefare my Yoruba homies, beside dem no dey too change names Oluwatosin remains the same everywhere she goes,

Well they do all that shit sometime because they have already spoil the imagine and are now ashmd to be recogniz as Afro/Nai, I still doing my research on them lol, wanna know more? hit me, vitool2000@yahoo.com
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by N101: 1:38am On Feb 13, 2010
What exactly constitutes "looking African", and what do people mean when they say someone "looks African"?
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by aminalib(f): 6:10am On Jan 09, 2011
i've never met anyone who claimed not to be african, when i ask someone if they are african they will say yes, then i will say i am too, but they never believe me , it's always " are you sure u are african'?
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Nobody: 6:12am On Jan 09, 2011
@ topic: 1)why do you care and 2)why is this in the romance section
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by tpia5: 3:55am On Aug 24, 2011
i dont see it as a big deal even if the comment is meant as an insult.

i know i look african, so no biggie.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by DaRapture: 10:31pm On Aug 26, 2011
tpia@:

i dont see it as a big deal even if the comment is meant as an insult.

i know i look african, so no biggie.

Yeah, that's no surprise. Most of you Yoruba do look very uniquely African, if you know what I mean.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 4:53pm On Jul 27, 2012
How is an African supposed to look ask them lol. Most people are naive and ignorant that it can be so funny.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by MrsChima(f): 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fulaman198: How is an African supposed to look ask them lol. Most people are naive and ignorant that it can be so funny.

Thats true. I will ask if they are from Africa by their accent and not their looks.

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 27, 2012
There is nothing wrong with "Looking" African...

Yes There is an "African" Look....many of them

There are also "European" Looks as well...

Amazing how no one gets offended at the term.."you look european"

Often times these phrases are used when a particular look from a region in that Continent is not represented in the domestic country

For example...There are not allot of "Sudanese" looking black men in America...

So if you were to see a man who looked like this

You would say he or she looks "african"...No biggie..no need for you to catch hurt feelins.

Those looks are not common in America...or many european countries...even south america.

Much of the Atlantic slave trade did not capture those "genetics".

Now as far as a european look...

The same thing..often times "eastern european" genetics are not represented in america....

So when you see a white woman who looks like this....

You might hear "she looks european"...

Why?...why would someone say that in a country filled with many white women with european genetics?

Because Eastern European Genetics are not as common in America as Western Europe

Same with East Africa.

...That is all...it's no big deal at all nor should anyone take offense(unless the person is clearly trying to be offensive)
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 5:20pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Thats true. I will ask if they are from Africa by their accent and not their looks.

Exactly
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2012
Royal-VII:
[font=times][color=#770077][i]There is nothing wrong with "Looking" African...

Yes There is an "African" Look....many of them

There are also "European" Looks as well...

There are many of that kind of woman you posted in America. You are correct about that man though as that is more of a Nilotic look which can not be really found in America or West Africa unless you go to Songhai/Zarma/Dendi land
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by kengis: 5:23pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fulaman198: How is an African supposed to look ask them lol. Most people are naive and ignorant that it can be so funny.
I can easily spot an african :african women are gracious and african men look "smarter" than the average cotton picka aka akatas lol
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 5:24pm On Jul 27, 2012
kengis:
I can easily spot an african :african women are gracious and african men look "smarter" than the average cotton picka aka akatas lol

There are a lot of dumb African men too, especially those who insult other blacks who are not African.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by kengis: 5:29pm On Jul 27, 2012
kengis:
I can easily spot an african :african women are gracious and classy (african queen)and african men look "smarter" ,well educated than the average cotton picka aka akatas lol
where else can we find "black" kings and queens ?only in africa
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by MrsChima(f): 7:39pm On Jul 27, 2012
Fulaman198:

There are a lot of dumb African men too, especially those who insult other blacks who are not African.

Thank you boo. can I be your ninth wife?
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 12:31am On Jul 28, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Thank you boo. can I be your ninth wife?

LOL I have no wives dear BUT SURE!!!! grin

What about your current Husband?
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by MrsChima(f): 1:56am On Jul 28, 2012
Fulaman198:

LOL I have no wives dear BUT SURE!!!! grin

What about your current Husband?

Why u gotta bring him up??
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 2:39am On Jul 28, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Why u gotta bring him up??

ROFLLL just to remind you ROFLLLLL
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by MrsChima(f): 3:16am On Jul 28, 2012
Fulaman198:

ROFLLL just to remind you ROFLLLLL

Hissssssssssssss and mashewwwasaaw
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 3:23am On Jul 28, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Hissssssssssssss and mashewwwasaaw

lol
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by somalia1: 8:55am On Sep 08, 2012
People cant believe am african. I tell them am somali...and they still think SOMALIA isnt in africa. People have stereotypes of what african should look like.

Somali people tend to look more indian or arab than african.

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 5:34pm On Sep 08, 2012
somalia1: People cant believe am african. I tell them am somali...and they still think SOMALIA isnt in africa. People have stereotypes of what african should look like.

No such thing as looking African, those pictures you just posted....look "African" to me, not Arab or Indian.

These are Indians:

Depending on what Arab group you are talking about (you would have to specify), these are Arabs:

So you may want to get your facts straight man
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:44pm On Sep 08, 2012
somalia1: People cant believe am african. I tell them am somali...and they still think SOMALIA isnt in africa. People have stereotypes of what african should look like.

You are such a self hating person, I feel so bad for you and your people. You are an embarrassment to the continent of africa, the fact that you had rather claim Arab or Indian than African is really sad. Get well soon ayanle, your inferiority complex sickens me.

1 Like

Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 10:17pm On Sep 08, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

You are such a self hating person, I feel so bad for you and your people. You are an embarrassment to the continent of africa, the fact that you had rather claim Arab or Indian than African is really sad. Get well soon ayanle, your inferiority complex sickens me.

It actually makes me laugh, there are some fellow Nigerians who have the same inferiority complex as him
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:46pm On Sep 08, 2012
Fulaman198:

It actually makes me laugh, there are some fellow Nigerians who have the same inferiority complex as him

That makes me weep for the future of africa.
Re: Y Most African Doesn't Like It When People Say They Look Like African! by Fulaman198(m): 11:49pm On Sep 08, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

That makes me weep for the future of africa.

I understand how you feel, but what can we do if people choose to have low self-esteem and self-hatred for who/what they are?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Contest For The Most Beautiful Girl On Nairaland / Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? / Its Official, Igbos Can No Longer Claim To Have Some Isreali DNA :)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.