Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! (9514 Views)

Incredible! Banker Turns Plumber, Says “I Am Living My Dreams” / Lagos Banker Sacked For Tweeting About Hating His Job / Meet The Banker Who Turned To Puff Puff Seller In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2016
I just graduated from a university in the east and preparing for my service year. i've got a plan for myself but it involves capital; working in a bank seems like a good way to get it. i think i can handle the stress but i have got no idea how the system works, so it would be a good help if Nairalanders could give me pointers on how to be at least relevant and indispensable in a banking environment. I studied finance by the way. I would appreciate ur help positive and otherwise.

NOTE: This could help a lot of young graduates, so Mods if u please, help push it up top grin grin grin
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Tolakay: 10:30pm On Mar 26, 2016
bankers cum assist with info
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by kaybams1(m): 8:49am On Mar 27, 2016
Be careful what you wish for.........

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by amicable09(f): 2:37pm On Mar 27, 2016
kaybams1:
Lolz...
You are so funny! What shouldn't he wish for?

Have you been there before?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by WoodcrestMayor(m): 7:19am On Mar 28, 2016
I concur...

Consider yourself a banker when you work in the corporate bank unit,treasury department,Risk management and some other key units.Any other units and u are a bank worker.

You can handle the stress...I laff grin...maybe if you get placement in the east...Don't try Lagos.
kaybam s1:

7 Likes

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 12:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
WoodcrestMayor:
I concur...

Consider yourself a banker when you work in the corporate bank unit,treasury department,Risk management and some other key units.Any other units and u are a bank worker.

You can handle the stress...I laff grin...maybe if you get placement in the east...Don't try Lagos.

U make it sound like hell, but anything is better than staying idle

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 12:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
kaybams1:
Is there any Computing program or Ict course I should undertake? Pls share
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Well...it carries weight when your seniors of 8-22 yrs keep reminding you to find your square root.

No amount of explanation will help anyone.You av to get in and see for yourself.

I won't say you shouldn't take it if it comes up...I am def better than I was b4 I joined the system.Interpersonal skill alone is 99%...I'm a marketer.Take the job if you get it but start plotting your exit as soon as you get in...only problem is you won't really have the time to plot it properly-reason y alota pple are trapped in the system today.

While you are looking for the job,invest the idle time you use in whining in language classes and solid certifications.They will come in handy to move up the ladder within the organization or outside completely.If I had done one year of French b4 I got the job,I for dey ball now.I want to learn badly now but I don't have the time.

I can go on and on but will stop here...

#NuffSaid
chuksp09:

U make it sound like hell, but anything is better than staying idle

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by kaybams1(m): 4:34pm On Mar 28, 2016
chuksp09:

Is there any Computing program or Ict course I should undertake? Pls share

I understand your enthusiasm. Been there. However, Banking isn't the way it was before. Not all departments in a bank are created equal in terms of the challenges involved. If eventually you enter the system you will either be a contract staff or a full staff. The contract staffs ordeal have already been stressed sufficiently on the internet so am not going to superfluously add to it. Most contract staffs are mainly either tellers or marketers. As a full staff however, you can be in head office departments like Risk management, Audit, Corporate Planning, I.T Domestic and International Operations, Human Resources etc IF YOU ARE LUCKY OR CONNECTED. However the regular case is to be deployed to branch functions to either serve as an operation staff or marketer.

The least desirable department is Marketing and is ironically the one with the most vacancy, regardless of your qualifications. Most banks are looking for 'super marketers' more than any other banking role. But as a young man with promising career prospects and ambitions, such job functions can stunt your dreams (except you naturally love the role and believe its in sync with your dreams). If you are dabbling into it mainly cos of desperation, i can relate. But outside that, wishing to work in a bank is a delicate ambition that requires you being more specific about which aspect of it will be beneficial to your career path. The sad reality however is its almost impossible for you to choose which department you will be thrown to as an entry level staff. So even if you get the most sophisticated knowledge in any professional course, few banks really care. What most needs now is machines that can mobilize deposits endlessly for them.

Not all that glitters are gold. When you take the survey most bankers are just taking every day as it comes. The love for the job isn't there, especially for those in these dreaded departments. My advise for you is not to pour all your eggs in a basket. Don't make your dreams your master and learn to be more flexible in your approach to life. Regardless of the route we all take, the most important dream should be to end up being successful in life. Don't let an overrated dream be an obstacle to that.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Mannylex(m): 7:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
KayBams1 has said it all.... Listen to him. But don't get discouraged though, there is always a starting point. If banking is really what you want, start from somewhere, but firstly avoid going as a contract staff , you would just be stunted without a clear career path. When you join the system, you can lobby around for professional departments that would be of use to you if you decide to leave the sector e.g Human Resource, IT. Wish you Goodluck as you decide to join this regimented job of ours grin

3 Likes

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by WoodcrestMayor(m): 8:29pm On Mar 28, 2016
yes o!

you have talked well...the key is to get a department where knowledge gained on the job can transferred to other organisations.

Not all marketers are contract staff but most are.The only thing i enjoy about marketing is the relationship management skill and boldness it injects into you.The contacts you make on the job are also priceless.Some of your customers can even poach you to your desired job when they see the qualities you have.

Avoid head office units that are not business oriented i.e back-end operations e.g user access( u go just dey here dey create new users and reset locked accounts) cheesy e.t.c

Itz not all doom and gloom but i can tell you most bankers and bank workers remain on the job cos of the bills they have to pay.

You are young and you have life ahead of you to live...dont restrict yourself cos of some small pay that looks huge to you now.If you have to go in,have a defined path,learn all you can and dash out...never get comfortable.

Some pple tell me to goan marry...cos i have bank job ...will be the biggest mistake of my life and i will be damned cos it will no longer be about me but the extra mouths i have to feed.

Think with a clear head and go for what you want.

Peace bro smiley
Mannylex:
KayBams1 has said it all.... Listen to him. But don't get discouraged though, there is always a starting point. If banking is really what you want, start from somewhere, but firstly avoid going as a contract staff , you would just be stunted without a clear career path. When you join the system, you can lobby around for professional departments that would be of use to you if you decide to leave the sector e.g Human Resource, IT. Wish you Goodluck as you decide to join this regimented job of ours grin

1 Like

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by XtraSmooth404: 4:30pm On Mar 29, 2016
It is never easy anywhere. @op, if that's what you want, please go for it.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:49am On Mar 30, 2016
WoodcrestMayor:
Well...it carries weight when your seniors of 8-22 yrs keep reminding you to find your square root.

No amount of explanation will help anyone.You av to get in and see for yourself.

I won't say you shouldn't take it if it comes up...I am def better than I was b4 I joined the system.Interpersonal skill alone is 99%...I'm a marketer.Take the job if you get it but start plotting your exit as soon as you get in...only problem is you won't really have the time to plot it properly-reason y alota pple are trapped in the system today.

While you are looking for the job,invest the idle time you use in whining in language classes and solid certifications.They will come in handy to move up the ladder within the organization or outside completely.If I had done one year of French b4 I got the job,I for dey ball now.I want to learn badly now but I don't have the time.

I can go on and on but will stop here...

#NuffSaid
Thanks bro
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:51am On Mar 30, 2016
kaybams1:

I understand your enthusiasm. Been there. However, Banking isn't the way it was before. Not all departments in a bank are created equal in terms of the challenges involved. If eventually you enter the system you will either be a contract staff or a full staff. The contract staffs ordeal have already been stressed sufficiently on the internet so am not going to superfluously add to it. Most contract staffs are mainly either tellers or marketers. As a full staff however, you can be in head office departments like Risk management, Audit, Corporate Planning, I.T Domestic and International Operations, Human Resources etc IF YOU ARE LUCKY OR CONNECTED. However the regular case is to be deployed to branch functions to either serve as an operation staff or marketer.

The least desirable department is Marketing and is ironically the one with the most vacancy, regardless of your qualifications. Most banks are looking for 'super marketers' more than any other banking role. But as a young man with promising career prospects and ambitions, such job functions can stunt your dreams (except you naturally love the role and believe its in sync with your dreams). If you are dabbling into it mainly cos of desperation, i can relate. But outside that, wishing to work in a bank is a delicate ambition that requires you being more specific about which aspect of it will be beneficial to your career path. The sad reality however is its almost impossible for you to choose which department you will be thrown to as an entry level staff. So even if you get the most sophisticated knowledge in any professional course, few banks really care. What most needs now is machines that can mobilize deposits endlessly for them.

Not all that glitters are gold. When you take the survey most bankers are just taking every day as it comes. The love for the job isn't there, especially for those in these dreaded departments. My advise for you is not to pour all your eggs in a basket. Don't make your dreams your master and learn to be more flexible in your approach to life. Regardless of the route we all take, the most important dream should be to end up being successful in life. Don't let an overrated dream be an obstacle to that.

Thanks bro
u've given me a lot to think about
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:53am On Mar 30, 2016
Hmm, the reality really is different.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Eddodoh(m): 4:52pm On Mar 30, 2016
Hmm! Career in banking.

I wish all d best @op
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by thefakestan: 7:36am On Mar 31, 2016
Well wake up @4, sleep at 1 am

You are now a banker

ThefakeStan

1 Like

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:40am On Mar 31, 2016
Front page, Hehehe No be small thing!
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:41am On Mar 31, 2016
thefakestan:
Well wake up @4, sleep at 1 am

You are now a banker

ThefakeStan

I don't think all banks would be so bad
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by StarOnEarth(m): 7:41am On Mar 31, 2016
You need to know that bankers lose their job anytime, so when the grass is still green, be wise.

2 Likes

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by thefakestan: 7:42am On Mar 31, 2016
chuksp09:

I don't think all banks would be so bad

Quite alright, I assumed you live in Lagos and probably have to do the Island Mainland stretch,

But if not I think you are good for a 5am -10pm life.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by ciwi: 7:42am On Mar 31, 2016
What u need to know is that as ur stepping in, make sure ur stepping out strategy is on point

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 31, 2016
chuksp09:
I just graduated from a university in the east and preparing for my service year. i've got a plan for myself but it involves capital; working in a bank seems like a good way to get it. i think i can handle the stress but i have got no idea how the system works, so it would be a good help if Nairalanders could give me pointers on how to be at least relevant and indispensable in a banking environment. I studied finance by the way. I would appreciate ur help positive and otherwise.

NOTE: This could help a lot of young graduates, so Mods if u please, help push it up top grin grin grin

You can take up the cibn exam for a start

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by DaVinChiSam(m): 7:45am On Mar 31, 2016
You no go school?
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:45am On Mar 31, 2016
thefakestan:

Quite alright, I assumed you live in Lagos and probably have to do the Island Mainland stretch,

But if not I think you are good for a 5am -10pm life.
That, I can manage just fine.
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Nobody: 7:46am On Mar 31, 2016
Not everything you read about Banks on Nairaland is true. Most are written by people that never even got an opportunity to work in a Bank.

Also if you didn't finish woth a 2.1 Go and learn a trade like your brothers.

You will gey money that can raise that desired capital for you, but forget, your standard of living will also increase.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by thefakestan: 7:47am On Mar 31, 2016
chuksp09:

That, I can manage just fine.

It's good to be focused and actually know what you want and put effort to achieve it, that way u'll go far.

1 Like

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:47am On Mar 31, 2016
DaVinChiSam:
You no go school?

??
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by mrspeaker: 7:48am On Mar 31, 2016
What more can i say,Kaybam have said it all just have a plan B & C if at all. wish you the best bro..

1 Like

Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by Rexphobia(m): 7:54am On Mar 31, 2016
I was once like you
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by chuksp09(m): 7:58am On Mar 31, 2016
mrspeaker:
What more can i say,Kaybam have said it all just have a plan B & C if at all. wish you the best bro..
Thanks bro
Re: What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! by willorie(f): 8:05am On Mar 31, 2016
Do u really think u can handle the stress?
Like they'er saying,
Be careful what u wish for dear
A word is enough for the wise

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Spending 500 On Transportation A Day To Work Too Much / Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / I Want To Switch To Nursing, Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.