Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? (5513 Views)

"Ibrahim Danmaziri Murtala Hired Thugs To Attack A Blogger" - Facebook User / 1976 Coup: I Was Persuaded To Take Over After Murtala’s Death – Obasanjo / How I Saved Nigeria After Murtala Mohammed's Murder: OBJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by ShinnBet: 2:57pm On Mar 26, 2016
The January 15, 1966 coup has been erroneously declared and described as an Igbo coup.

While the tribal make up of the Jan 15 coup does not bear the hallmark to one single tribe as there where Yoruba and Hausa officers and rank and file involved in the planning and execution of the coup, the backlash of the jan 15 coup led to genocidal attacks on igbos living in the north.

Now if we consider the Dimka coup of 1976 on the murtala administration you will find one striking characteristic in terms of the make up of the coup plotters who were mainly drawn from the Anges tribe from Platuea state and also from other middle belt Christian tribes.

So why was there no retaliatory pogroms by the Hausa Fulani on the Anges tribe and the Christian middle belt on the murder of Murtala by Dimka and his fellow conspirators?

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by aventura: 6:46pm On Mar 26, 2016
Its okay for a northerner to kill a fellow northerner but not the other way round.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by chriskosherbal(m): 7:01pm On Mar 26, 2016
I don't think this is the time to instigate violence rather let's promote peace,we all need it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by ShinnBet: 7:28pm On Mar 26, 2016
chriskosherbal:
I don't think this is the time to instigate violence rather let's promote peace,we all need it.

Take your peace message to the Fulani militia and sambisa forest.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by ShinnBet: 7:29pm On Mar 26, 2016
aventura:
Its okay for a northerner to kill a fellow northerner but not the other way round.

But Dimka's Anges tribe are not core northerners anymore as they now claim middle pleb status.
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Standing5(m): 7:54pm On Mar 26, 2016
ShinnBet:
The January 15, 1966 coup has been erroneously declared and described as an Igbo coup.

While the tribal make up of the Jan 15 coup does not bear the hallmark to one single tribe as there where Yoruba and Hausa officers and rank and file involved in the planning and execution of the coup, the backlash of the jan 15 coup led to genocidal attacks on igbos living in the north.

Now if we consider the Dimka coup of 1976 on the murtala administration you will find one striking characteristic in terms of the make up of the coup plotters who were mainly drawn from the Anges tribe from Platuea state and also from other middle belt Christian tribes.

So why was there no retaliatory pogroms by the Hausa Fulani on the Anges tribe and the Christian middle belt on the murder of Murtala by Dimka and his fellow conspirators?

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Standing5(m): 7:55pm On Mar 26, 2016
ShinnBet:

the case of 1966 involved people who only 10yrs ealier had voted for one-Nigeria against the wish of others. So it very hard to compare.
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by ShinnBet: 7:56pm On Mar 26, 2016
Standing5:
the case of 1966 involved people who only 10yrs ealier had voted for one-Nigeria against the wish of others. So it very hard to compare.

The military had no hand in post independence politics and also during independence up till Jan 15, 1966.

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by jpphilips(m): 8:22pm On Mar 26, 2016
@OP

The answer lies with political maturity.

first, it was not called an igbo coup for fun, it was called that in protest to the disproportionate assassination of the leadership at the time.
It is dishonest to say it was called an igbo coup based on the regional makeup of the coup plotters that is very disingenuous of you.

people who did so at the time based their insinuations on the sparing of igbo leaders and the fact that an Igbo head of state inherited the government as a direct consequence of the coup.

Now that I presume you understand the basics, you will agree that when Aguiyi Ironsi became the head of state, his first duty will necessitate the trial of the coup plotters and serving justice for other regions who lost both political and Religious leadership (Northern region) that he never did.

It might equally interest you to note that a military court Martial of that nature at the time takes less than 3 months yet Aguiyi Ironsi blatantly refused to do the right thing.
It took a dumb Kaduna Nzeogwu to grant an interview describing how he killed the Sardauna of Sokoto a supposed religious leader and the mockery that ensued.
That event led to his arrest yet no date was set for his trial and others, Ironsi screwed up so badly that he transferred the coup plotters to their various regional prisons, like telling the other regions (I don't care about your loss, I can do whatever sh!t I want afterall, im the new Head of State).

That is the most bizarre political insincerity, miscalculation that completely alienated the igbos from the Tripartite handed to us by the British.

Let us now Juxtapose with the Murtalla Mohammed saga, he was assassinated, the next in command Olusegun Obasanjo did not wait to get a definition for the coup from the court of popular opinion rather he served his purpose as a head of state by rounding up the culprits and handed them death sentences.

That act of good faith endeared Obj to the Northerners and we saw a replay of that goodwill in 1999.
Obasanjo proved with that 1976 action that he learned from the history of the past decade, he equally proved that he is way smarter than Aguiyi Ironsi.

Rightly put, Obasanjo's ingenuity calmed would be reprisals of Murtala 's murder.

A society without justice and rule of law easily degenerates to Anarchy.
such was the reality of the 1966 Nigeria's political space. The pogrom (Anarchy) that ensued was a fall out of Ironsi's political recklessness and disregard for the rule of law.

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by mightyhazel: 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2016
Simple,...

Dimka buka suka aint an igbo guy!

6 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by santori: 9:16pm On Mar 26, 2016
the coup plotters were are rounded up and executed by Obasanjo unlike aguiyi ironsi that refused to do the needful with ifejuna and Nzeogwu

hope you are cleared now!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 26, 2016
With due respect Bro, are peeps like you naturally born stewupid or you are just play acting? Respect Bro. Jpphilips has said it all.
mightyhazel:
Simple,...

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 26, 2016
With due respect Bro, are peeps like you naturally born stewupid or you are just play acting? Respect Bro. Jpphilips has said it all.
mightyhazel:
Simple,...

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by mightyhazel: 10:48pm On Mar 26, 2016
PUSIDRILA:
. Am sure ur biological father shd be in an impeccable position 2 ansa dis question. Go on,..direct it to him.

With overdue respect!

Amu!

6 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 26, 2016
mightyhazel:
. Am sure ur biological father shd be in an impeccable position 2 ansa dis question. Go on,..direct it to him.

With overdue respect!

Amu!
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 26, 2016
Ooops! I am so sorry dude. I didn't know your Momma was one of em flaatThead chicks my Pops ravaged during the war. Well, That's life Bro. Nuff Respecks Mon.
mightyhazel:

With overdue respect!

Amu!
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Ooni: 12:18am On Mar 27, 2016
jpphilips:
@OP

The answer lies with political correctness.

first, it was not called an igbo coup for fun, it was called that in protest to the disproportionate assasination of the leadership at the time.
It is dishonest to say it was called an igbo coup based on the regional make up of the coup plotters that is very disingenuous of you.

people who did so at the time based their insinuations on the sparing of igbo leaders and the fact that an Igbo head of state inherited the government as a direct consequence of the coup.

Now that I presume you understand the basics, you will agree that when Aguiyi Ironsi became the head of state, his first duty will necessitate the trial of the coup plotters and serving justice for other regions who lost both political and Religious leadership (Northern region) that he never did.

It might equally interest you to note that a military court Marshall of that nature at the time takes less than 3 months yet Aguiyi Ironsi blatantly refused to do the right thing.
It took a dumb Kaduna Nzeogwu to grant an interview describing how he killed the Sardauna of Sokoto a supposed religious leader and the mockery that ensued.
That event led to his arrest yet no deadline was set for his trial and others.

That is the most bizzare political insincerity, miscalculation that completely aliegnated the igbos from the Tripartite handed to us by the British.

Let us now Juxtapose with the Murtalla Mohammed saga, he was assasinated, the next in command Olusegun Obasanjo did not wait to get a definition for the coup from the court of popular opinion rather he served his purpose as a head of state by rounding up the culprits and handed them death sentences.

That act of good faith endeared Obj to the Northerners and we saw a replay of that goodwill in 1999.
Obasanjo proved with that 1976 action that he learned from the history of the past decade, he equally proved that he is way smarter than Aguiyi Ironsi.

Rightly put, Obasanjo's ingenuity calmed would be reprisals of Murtalla 's murder.

A society without law, order, justice and rule of law easily degenerates to Anarchy.
such was the reality of the 1966 Nigeria's political space.
continue telling people lies and half truths. The major problem that resulted to the civil war was not even the killing of ironsi and co. But an organised terrorism in which every northerner participated in killing of armless ibos in the guise of pogrom. If the coup ended in a counter coup the civl war would have occurred. But i am sure the north and middle belt are paying for it. u think all these killings happening in Nigeria today is for fun? North re killing themselves in guise of terrorism while also extending their 'friendship' to middle belt through the herdsmen, and occassionary southwest

Northern nigeria is the only place in the world today were a group of pple are massacaring their own pple for no established reason nd u think it is ordinary?

I only fear for my yoruba pple

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by mightyhazel: 11:48am On Mar 27, 2016
PUSIDRILA:
Ooops! I am so sorry dude. I didn't know your Momma was one of em flaatThead chicks my Pops ravaged during the war. Well, That's life Bro. Nuff Respecks Mon.
I knew it,...

I knew I was quoting an imbe.cile.

From a lineage of drooling and squinting imbe.ciles.

Run away imbec.ile.

6 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by mightyhazel: 11:53am On Mar 27, 2016
Ooni:
continue telling people lies and half truths. The major problem that resulted to the civil war was not even the killing of ironsi and co. But an organised terrorism in which every northerner participated in killing of armless ibos in the guise of pogrom. If the coup ended in a counter coup the civl war would have occurred. But i am sure the north and middle belt are paying for it. u think all these killings happening in Nigeria today is for fun? North re killing themselves in guise of terrorism while also extending their 'friendship' to middle belt through the herdsmen, and occassionary southwest

Northern nigeria is the only place in the world today were a group of pple are massacaring their own pple for no established reason nd u think it is ordinary?

yoruba boy wen be dey reason. cool

7 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by iyb(m): 12:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
The igbo coup saw the death of all the famous leaders in the north its only natural we pay back in kind or do you expect us to forgive those that killed our brothers in cold blood and went about bragging about it to go free.
The north remembers

2 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 27, 2016
grin
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 27, 2016
For Real the Igbos should look inwards and get rid of this culture of Lies and Self Deceit. Trying to turn what is Clearly white to be black.It really does no good to their reputation.Really annoying. Peace to the Eastside!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:28pm On Mar 27, 2016
The answer is simple. After the Dimka coup of February 1976, the new Head of State, Obasanjo, tried the coupists. This was unlike that of January 1966 when the new Head of State, Ironsi, refused to court martial the coupists. When he was approached at the point of his abduction and assassination, Ironsi was asked by TY Danjuma why the coupists had not been court martialed.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by gists: 12:33pm On Mar 27, 2016
This is probably the most fo0lish thread ever. Trying to compare apples with periwinkles.
Like jpphillip said, how come there was no justice to the coup plotters when their kinsman became the "beneficiary" of the coup?
To make matters worse, the same Ironsi abolished the regional system and instituted a federal system which further strengthened the believe among the northerners that the igbos were on a campaign to dominate the country (it is left to you to decide whether or not that the north had a case to hold such believe). The same federal system started by an igbo man is what many are Igbos are complaining about today. The well-meaning igbos are forging ahead and making everywhere they find themselves.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by kettykin: 12:47pm On Mar 27, 2016
Igbo military officers were caught napping big time, that was why they lost power and that was why there was a progrom. If they had sat up their asses, dealt with traitors and saboteurs and enforced an absolute totalitarianism there wouldn'thave been any counter coup
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by swtdrms(m): 1:49pm On Mar 27, 2016
i cant just get it why our igbo brothers will always attempt to turn history on its head, time and time again, they come with their historical fallacies and they are immediately corrected, aint you tired of all these fallacies and history twisting?

Some of my friends and colleagues have rightly opined that many Igbos have moved ahead and are strategising on achieving lofty heights in the scheme of things while some others are there finding ways to cause disharmony and untold troubles.

As i know, Igbos are intelligent and very hardworking, use these intelligences of yours to achieve great things and stop finding ways to blame others for your misdeeds.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by theDEVILisHERE: 2:26pm On Mar 27, 2016
PUSIDRILA:

Can you give your point without saying trash

@Jpphilips points are nothing but twisted facts which potray falsehood
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by theDEVILisHERE: 2:37pm On Mar 27, 2016
The events of 1966 was just the final result of a carefully orchestrated genocide planed by the demonic british aided by their black african slaves

Remember the aim of the british demons is to wipe out all jews, from those in the eastern region of Nigeria all the way to ethiopia, the middle east and Afganistan (Yes AFGANISTAN)
Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by jpphilips(m): 3:20pm On Mar 27, 2016
Ooni:

Someone gave you a history that obviously you could not afford, im sure that even your parents are bereft of that knowledge else you would have learnt a little of it from home, you come online to call it half truth with zero input to the subject of discourse.
The Op asked why two similar scenarios produced different outcomes and you are telling us what started the civil war, were you asked that?

Give me two reasons why I shouldn't call you a very stup!d person?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by jpphilips(m): 3:48pm On Mar 27, 2016
theDEVILisHERE:

Can you give your point without saying trash

@Jpphilips points are nothing but twisted facts which potray falsehood

First you can never know a twisted fact when you are bereft of the fact, Jpphilips don't write for people like you with negative integer IQ, you may read my signature again, here I have learnt that every looser now has a voice on the internet, no thanks to Seun's Nairaland.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by Ooni: 5:04pm On Mar 27, 2016
jpphilips:

Someone gave you a history that obviously you could not afford, im sure that even your parents are bereft of that knowledge else you would have learnt a little of it from home, you come online to call it half truth with zero input to the subject of discourse.
The Op asked why two similar scenarios produced different outcomes and you are telling us what started the civil war, where you asked that?

Give me two reasons why I shouldn't call you a very stup!d person?
ur brain is such a vacuum that u re ready to thank a liar for feeding u with the obvious. Go nd read ur history sincerely and discover that the name 'ibo coup' was a continuation of pre-coup ibophobic atmostphere which pervaded the political system. Ibos were relatively prosperous and controlled almost all sectors through hard work and merit. Academia business civil service and army. Northerners and yorubas sought for way to cut ibos to size. Remeber sarduanas speech about ibo domination, also akintolas speech about same (they re all on youtube)

remember majority of senior army officers were ibos. If there was goin to be coup and resistance the would naturally come from ibos and that was exactly what happened. But because there was already deep fear, hate and jealously against ibos, the nomencleture of ibo coup was an attempt to psychologically prepare themselves towards the elimination of their obstacle-ibos!
The nazi style genocide that followed showed ibophobia was behind everything.

Let us tell ourselves the truth

pick a good history book nd read and stop listening to liars. The same lie that has kept nigeria from moving foward.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was There No Pogroms After Murtala's Murder By Dimka? by wadetaw202: 5:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
ShinnBet:

It is either you are daft, forgetful or you lack sense of history.

The reason why another coup occurred 6 months after the "66 coup was because ironsi failed to punish all those involved in the coup that brought him to power despite several warnings.

This is common knowledge. How come you Dont know? Or maybe its because you lack common sense.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LASG To Clamp Down On Illegal Traders Along Railway Tracks / Two Things Likely To Happen If Tribunal Nullifies Buhari's Election On Wednesday / Buhari To Present 2021 Budget To NASS In September – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.